PDA

View Full Version : The NY Post's Phil Mushnick's controversal rant about Jay Z and the Nets

spreadeagle
05-04-2012, 06:28 PM
TRENTON — Phil Mushnick of the New York Post offered no apologies for today’s column in which he suggested the Brooklyn Nets should pay total homage to part-owner Jay-Z by calling the team the Brooklyn “N----s”.

Jay-Z, whose real name is Shawn Carter, used to live in Trenton, where he sold drugs. Now he’s the most powerful man in hip-hop and is married to Beyonce. They just had a baby girl. But Mushnick doesn’t care if Jay-Z is a family man. He doesn’t believe he should be an owner of the Nets, who start their first season in Brooklyn next season.
“As long as the Nets are allowing Jay-Z to call their marketing shots -- what a shock that he chose black and white as the new team colors to stress, as the Nets explained, their new “urban” home -- why not have him apply the full Jay-Z treatment? Why the Brooklyn Nets when they can be the New York N------s? The cheerleaders could be the Brooklyn B----hes or Hoes. Team logo? A 9 mm with hollow-tip shell casings strewn beneath. Wanna be Jay-Z hip? Then go all the way!”
As one would expect, those words spread across the Twitterverse, so we’ll be hearing calls for Mushnick’s head any second. Mushnick is generally respected for his biting column that dissects sports TV and radio personalities. I e-mailed him to ask if he was just being really sarcastic and perhaps he went a bit too far to the other side, and this was his reply: “Joey - take it up with Jay-Z. I don’t call black men ******. He does. Thanks - mushnick”
http://www.trentonian.com/article/20120504/ENTERTAINMENT02/120509847/1004/NEWS01/the-post-s-mushnick-on-jay-z--n--s-

SteveNash
05-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Jay-Z is a bad person and an even worse rapper. Obviously the article was in jest, and if people have a problem with it, they should ask Jay-Z to step down. At least put some talented person like Nas, if you're going to bring in a controversial figure.

ManRam
05-04-2012, 06:32 PM
And, fired...

He used to sell drugs, and is a rapper, therefore he's scum. All the good he's done for a few decades now should be negated because he sold drugs as a kid...and sings that disgusting rap music stuff. Is he a great person? Hell no. He's better than a lot of other NBA owners though.

Unless you can't get over him selling drugs as a kid. And that's fine. I guess it's only fair to never let people ever grow and move on from their stupid youthful decisions.

Clown. The Post better fire his ***.

metsbulls1025
05-04-2012, 06:34 PM
As soon as I saw him start using racial words towards African Americans the first thing I thought of was he is so fired.

Beltrans Mole
05-04-2012, 06:38 PM
I find it fascinating that I had no idea Jay-Z grew up in Trenton considering I live 5 miles from there. Either way, this guy is probably getting canned.

BigBlueCrew
05-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Surprised it took someone this long (not talking about the PSD post) to make this ridiculous comment.

Heaven forbid a rapper gets past his musical past and moves on. You have ignint people like this in the world who will continue to bring up his lyrics til the day Jay-Z dies. Its a shame.

topdog
05-04-2012, 06:41 PM
I can see this getting out hand quickly... the approach is not very well thought out imo, but I do like the line: “Joey - take it up with Jay-Z. I don’t call black men ******. He does. Thanks - mushnick”

We expect white people not to even use the word in discussion, but use it colloquially amongst black people with an "a" instead of "er" like it's a good thing :facepalm:

gotoHcarolina52
05-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Ni**as in Brooklyn

I think the commentary is spot on, but alas, the pitchfork-wielding public wont care to probe for Mushnick's point.

Rivera
05-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Hes a columnist and this is a column thats first to say and what people need to understand.............this isnt a report its a column and hes trying to make a point thats a job of a columnnest to make a point/have an opinion

With that said writing like this is almost expected especially considerin the circumstances...a new team going to NY with black uniforms and white letters with a "rapper" as an owner (regardless how low that ownership stake is) you can almost see this coming especially when jay commonly uses this profranity in his lyrics

This is typical "old white male" not understanding hip hop and repeats what he hears without getting to know the actual man behind the lyrics

He could of made his point using other choice of words and whenever you use the n word (especially as a white male) is gonna be and always will be a sticky situation its a really poor choice of words

But i hope people understand he isnt a journalist...hes a columnist....it doesnt excuse his poor choice of words or make him right....im just trying to put some perspective in this

spreadeagle
05-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Hes a columnist and this is a column thats first to say and what people need to understand.............this isnt a report its a column and hes trying to make a point thats a job of a columnnest to make a point/have an opinion

With that said writing like this is almost expected especially considerin the circumstances...a new team going to NY with black uniforms and white letters with a "rapper" as an owner (regardless how low that ownership stake is) you can almost see this coming especially when jay commonly uses this profranity in his lyrics

This is typical "old white male" not understanding hip hop and repeats what he hears without getting to know the actual man behind the lyrics

He could of made his point using other choice of words and whenever you use the n word (especially as a white male) is gonna be and always will be a sticky situation its a really poor choice of words

But i hope people understand he isnt a journalist...hes a columnist....it doesnt excuse his poor choice of words or make him right....im just trying to put some perspective in this

why does he mention the black n white uni's ? im a little lost on that one lol what does that mean?

SteveNash
05-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Surprised it took someone this long (not talking about the PSD post) to make this ridiculous comment.

Heaven forbid a rapper gets past his musical past and moves on. You have ignint people like this in the world who will continue to bring up his lyrics til the day Jay-Z dies. Its a shame.

Jay-Z is still making music.

Rivera
05-04-2012, 06:51 PM
why does he mention the black n white uni's ? im a little lost on that one lol what does that mean?

The first sentence...just might as well rename them the brooklin n***ers

To cylical white males it could be viewed racially as "black power" or "black superiority" but mainly cause jays black and he raps

JC_
05-04-2012, 06:52 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure about that either

Lidz
05-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Never heard of him, but whoever he is, he's wack as hell.

Jay-Z is a terrible owner though. He only bought part of the team to brag about it in his music. What other owner chats it up and laughs and jokes with a player from the team his team lost to not 30 seconds ago?

whitesoxfan83
05-04-2012, 07:14 PM
“As long as the Nets are allowing Jay-Z to call their marketing shots -- what a shock that he chose black and white as the new team colors to stress, as the Nets explained, their new “urban” home -- why not have him apply the full Jay-Z treatment? Why the Brooklyn Nets when they can be the New York N------s? The cheerleaders could be the Brooklyn B----hes or Hoes. Team logo? A 9 mm with hollow-tip shell casings strewn beneath. Wanna be Jay-Z hip? Then go all the way!”

“Joey - take it up with Jay-Z. I don’t call black men ******. He does. Thanks - mushnick”

Still such a thing as freedom of the press and freedom of speech...

He was not going on a racist rant, he was pointing out that Jay Z's marketing techniques (notice the part I bolded, when he says treatment he's talking about the marketing treatment Jay Z will give, that's it) were purposely trying to give the Nets a gangsterish, or as he put it, an "urban" image and believes that he'll market the team in the same fashion he marketed his rap...Strippers, Guns, and using the N-word.

He's basically saying it's despicable the Nets will be marketed this way.

The Final Boss
05-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Jay-Z is a bad person and an even worse rapper. Obviously the article was in jest, and if people have a problem with it, they should ask Jay-Z to step down. At least put some talented person like Nas, if you're going to bring in a controversial figure.

Post of the year candidate. I agree wholeheartedly. People who listen to jayz are probably the same people who listen to drake, soldier kid, and little wayne while looking like clowns with tight jeans, Vans, and Wayfarers after they ridiculed kids for having that style in the 80's. You guys know who you are. Do the stinky leg with your goofy *** snap hats.

Kuya_Clive
05-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Nas was much better lyrically, but Jay-Z was a flow artist.

The goods
05-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Hahahaha I guess all black people know is how to be good huh? Jay-z sold drugs when he was younger so what talk about the good he does now jay-z has never really been a gangster rapper he raps about the finer things in life and he has been doing that for quite sometime, calling him a gangster is a lot like calling kanye one to and if you know rap you know their ain't nothing "hood" about them.
So he can take his racist article and **** himself with it.

Netslunatic76
05-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Post of the year candidate. I agree wholeheartedly. People who listen to jayz are probably the same people who listen to drake, soldier kid, and little wayne while looking like clowns with tight jeans, Vans, and Wayfarers after they ridiculed kids for having that style in the 80's. You guys know who you are. Do the stinky leg with your goofy *** snap hats.

Problem? You sound upset.

The goods
05-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Nas was much better lyrically, but Jay-Z was a flow artist.

That rap beef they had was epic but nas killed him.
I think jay-z just knows how to market himself better it's not just about who's the better rapper anymore.

SportsAndrew25
05-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Can people say things anymore without the PC police going Mohammed Atta on them? For the record, I hate Phil Mushnick and love Jay-Z.

The Final Boss
05-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Problem? You sound upset.

It's safe to assume I struck a nerve.

The goods
05-04-2012, 07:44 PM

I agree about the goofy fad that's out now,but while I'm not a fan of jay-z I wouldn't put him in the same category as those clowns.

Netslunatic76
05-04-2012, 07:46 PM
It's safe to assume I struck a nerve.

You know what they say about assumptions. . .

SportsAndrew25
05-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Still such a thing as freedom of the press and freedom of speech... ...but the ****ing politically correct yahoos in this country still do not get this. That is why we constantly have to talk about these dumb controversies instead of real issues.

Netslunatic76
05-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Still such a thing as freedom of the press and freedom of speech...

He was not going on a racist rant, he was pointing out that Jay Z's marketing techniques (notice the part I bolded, when he says treatment he's talking about the marketing treatment Jay Z will give, that's it) were purposely trying to give the Nets a gangsterish, or as he put it, an "urban" image and believes that he'll market the team in the same fashion he marketed his rap...Strippers, Guns, and using the N-word.

He's basically saying it's despicable the Nets will be marketed this way.

If that's what he meant, then I don't believe he is wrong. I think Jay-Z wants the Nets to have this tough team/bad boy image like the Raiders in the 80s. It's great that he wants to change the perception of the Nets, but I don't know if these changes are good in the long run.

eibbor
05-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Freedom of speech is a good thing. Have to be careful what you say though. People agreeing with you or hating what you have to say is on you after you open your mouth.

Kuya_Clive
05-04-2012, 07:51 PM
That rap beef they had was epic but nas killed him.
I think jay-z just knows how to market himself better it's not just about who's the better rapper anymore.

No argument here, my thoughts exactly. Nas didn't change his sound as much to be more mainstream whereas Jay-Z embraced it. He even admits it in moment of clarity where he talked about wanting to rap like Common but wouldn't sell as much. Sucks that mainstream rap is so weak now (Drake went extra soft after signing to a label, Wale went mainstream to mmg, etc.) and guys with talent like XV or Kendrick Lamar are not as well known.

The Final Boss
05-04-2012, 07:59 PM
I agree about the goofy fad that's out now,but while I'm not a fan of jay-z I wouldn't put him in the same category as those clowns.

Well jayz owes Biggie's mom publishing money from stealing all of his lines.

Mr.SmackYoMama
05-04-2012, 08:13 PM

Nothing wrong with Snapbacks bro....You MAD????

Pistol_Pete
05-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Guess what? Being black doesn't give you a pass to use the word ******/*****. If you're a rapper it's okay to just throw around the word and it's fine (ahem, ****** in Paris), but if you're white, you can't even quote a lyrics without censoring letters. It's ridiculous. .

That however is not the point. Mushnick, who I have never agreed with on just about anything ever, and who can certainly be seen as an "old out of touch white guy" was talking about the "urbanization" of the Nets brand. And guess what, that's what it is. Graffiti logos, shoes dangling from logos, logos with backwards hats, and a black and white colors. Yeah, it's urbanizing the team. That's what he was talking about. And guess what? I bet a large majority of people who would be into that particular style listen to rap, where "******" is thrown around like water. And guess what again? I bet just about 50%, if not more are white.

Geez. People go crazy about black and white. Can we stop looking at skin color? None of the argument originally made was about black or white, it was about lifestyle and how people act. Unfortunately, too many people, Mushnick likely included just don't get that.

Yes, it was an extreme poor decision to write that particular line, but it wasn't mentioned in hate (or I assume it wasn't) and this is still America.

Also, Jay-Z own ONE PERCENT of the team. He's there for marketing, so things like this (well not this specifically) happen. It's working, but let's not act like he's running the show. If Prokhorov wants to go after LeBron and Jay wants to go after Wade, guess who the Nets are going after? That's right, LeBron.

Master Mind
05-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Why is Jay Z being targeted as if he has majority say over the team. He's just a minority owner.

J4KOP99
05-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Why is Jay Z being targeted as if he has majority say over the team. He's just a minority owner.

I think that Jay Z has a top role with marketing the new Nets brand.

ball4reel
05-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Never heard of him, but whoever he is, he's wack as hell.

Jay-Z is a terrible owner though. He only bought part of the team to brag about it in his music. What other owner chats it up and laughs and jokes with a player from the team his team lost to not 30 seconds ago?

I'm sure Jay-Z brought into the nets to make $!!!! How is he a terrible owner??? He owns like .002 % of the nets, what has he done that makes him a bad owner??? :confused:

Master Mind
05-04-2012, 09:32 PM
I think that Jay Z has a top role with marketing the new Nets brand.

Yeah but I'm sure he doesn't have the final say. It had to have been approved by the rest of the brass and they're obviously cool with it.

PrettyBoyJ
05-04-2012, 11:21 PM

"No one Knows what it means, it sounds provocative! It gets the people going"

Seemed appropriate for the thread lol

Kashmir13579
05-05-2012, 12:35 AM

LMFAO.. Jay Z > Nas.

Nas is easily the better lyricist but Jiggas's track-record speaks for itself. What would you rather be, underpaid or overrated?

Hoopin&Swoopin
05-05-2012, 12:59 AM

Dude, you're full of hate.

Fresno
05-05-2012, 12:59 AM
"No one Knows what it means, it sounds provocative! It gets the people going"

Seemed appropriate for the thread lol

:laugh2::laugh2:

Perfect.

LMFAO.. Jay Z > Nas.

Nas is easily the better lyricist but Jiggas's track-record speaks for itself. What would you rather be, underpaid or overrated?

+1

Fresno
05-05-2012, 01:12 AM
Yeah but I'm sure he doesn't have the final say. It had to have been approved by the rest of the brass and they're obviously cool with it.
He's the public representative of their minority ownership stake.

The part that nobody talks about is that Jay-Z a lot of times is the only "Ownership" figure you see with the Nets. Therefore, I'm sure he has a little more power in the board room than the 2% stake of the Nets he owns. Prokorov lives in Russia and he comes to the United States maybe once a month to check on things. Jay-Z is the one who builds the relationships with NBA players & promotes the franchise.

Honestly, when most people think about the Nets they think of Jay-Z.

Oldmantrash
05-05-2012, 01:29 AM
Phil Mushnick is the most hated columnist in NY.
Guy pisses every one off, he's not a racist, just a self righteous jerk.

Hes loving every second of this, he has no remorse, every one of his columns for the past 20 years has hate for someone in it.

C_Mund
05-05-2012, 02:04 AM
LMFAO.. Jay Z > Nas.

When we're debating between bank accounts in the tens of millions, I'd say underrated for sure. Jay Z trademarked his daughter's name for **** sakes, if I ever get to that level of self-love just shoot me.

....anywho, this column is way out of place. If he has a problem with marketing a franchise towards an urban population then he probably shouldn't cheer for 94% of the league's players, or for that matter he should probably not be happy with how the league makes so much money off of jerseys. Not everybody is perfect but I guarantee you that Hova is worth enough money to keep his nose clean these days.
also, is he saying that NJ is nicer than BK, cuz I've never been to either but one of them is for sure called "the swamp"...

Six-8-TheWizard
05-05-2012, 02:05 AM
And, fired...

He used to sell drugs, and is a rapper, therefore he's scum. All the good he's done for a few decades now should be negated because he sold drugs as a kid...and sings that disgusting rap music stuff. Is he a great person? Hell no. He's better than a lot of other NBA owners though.

Unless you can't get over him selling drugs as a kid. And that's fine. I guess it's only fair to never let people ever grow and move on from their stupid youthful decisions.

Clown. The Post better fire his ***.

Also If hes gonna rag on a Net owner for their past, Im sure their billionaire Russian Mob owner has done far far far worse in his life than sell drugs as a kid lol.

jammastershake
05-05-2012, 03:02 AM
Spot on article.

Punk
05-05-2012, 03:55 AM
Funny thing is despite all of his racism about the marketing, the Nets are seeing incredible sales in all of the merchandise driven by Jay Z.

This guy is a douche and should be fired. Jay-Z isn't that great as a person but attacking him like this is ridiculous. He's doing something positive here and there is nothing negative about black/white color schemes. The Nets are trying to find their own identity like the Knicks, Lakers, Celtics, Bulls have.

Deemerc
05-05-2012, 04:13 AM
Funny thing is despite all of his racism about the marketing, the Nets are seeing incredible sales in all of the merchandise driven by Jay Z.

This guy is a douche and should be fired. Jay-Z isn't that great as a person but attacking him like this is ridiculous. He's doing something positive here and there is nothing negative about black/white color schemes. The Nets are trying to find their own identity like the Knicks, Lakers, Celtics, Bulls have.

Ur right, the nets new merchandise is selling out places. The whole new nets look that jay is responsible for is blowing up.

Why the **** do people bring nas up in every Jay post? Maybe nas won that battle, jay got the last laugh by signing him later on and making money off of nas.

HeaTxRipZz
05-05-2012, 04:13 AM
I honestly don't understand the problem.......How many years have the Nets been ragged on? If anything I would embrace such a polarizing figure promoting them and boosting sales. He didn't rename the team to the Brooklyn Hustlas or say they are G's on the court. He's never promoted them in a negative way so why go at him like that and use words that shouldn't come into this discussion.

Just wanted to add : I would totally agree with this article if I heard Jay say something like my team would Murk you on the court, they are G's out there, they hustlin like it's a crack game, etc. I have yet to hear him promote them in a messed up way but yet this guy feels the need to write an article acting like he has done such things when he hasn't. Name one time where Jay has promoted his team as being hood or thugs

cwesleyf
05-05-2012, 04:19 AM
With 1 percent ownership Jay Z is just the hood ornament on the flashy new car. I think the article was trying to point out that the Nets should do something other than trying to appeal to the least common denominator in promoting their brand. It could turn against the Nets if the Knicks become known as the classy team in New York.

HeaTxRipZz
05-05-2012, 04:21 AM
With 1 percent ownership Jay Z is just the hood ornament on the flashy new car. I think the article was trying to point out that the Nets should do something other than trying to appeal to the least common denominator in promoting their brand. It could turn against the Nets if the Knicks become known as the classy team in New York.

Trying to appeal to the least common denominator? Got to love comments like this

Longhornfan1234
05-05-2012, 04:40 AM

:facepalm:

You're a bigot.

setman2000
05-05-2012, 07:33 AM
Phil Mushnick writes for Rupert "Fox News" Murdoch's NY Post which is read by right-wing small minded racists so I'm sure he was confident spewing out back#$$ comments like this knowing his followers would eat it up!

Lidz
05-05-2012, 08:23 AM
I'm sure Jay-Z brought into the nets to make $!!!! How is he a terrible owner??? He owns like .002 % of the nets, what has he done that makes him a bad owner??? :confused:

I clearly posted the reason in my post.

xbrackattackx
05-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Hip Hop went down the tube when it stopped being about real life struggles,life Lessons and Heartache. And now every song is about hoes,money's and how rich you are.

NWA> anything put out in last 10 years.

knicks4life33
05-05-2012, 03:03 PM
I love how jay z copped the yankees colors for brooklyn nets .

kvrnm
05-05-2012, 09:32 PM
oh no,... white people cant voice any opinions on race, even tho he had no intentions of being racist IMO... he will be fired. any other race would slide tho

justinnum1
05-05-2012, 10:10 PM
he gone

Netslunatic76
05-05-2012, 11:20 PM
I love how jay z copped the yankees colors for brooklyn nets .

When did the Yankees start wearing black and white?

Netslunatic76
05-05-2012, 11:21 PM
oh no,... white people cant voice any opinions on race, even tho he had no intentions of being racist IMO... he will be fired. any other race would slide tho

Would you want a guy convicted of rape teaching a sex ed class? :D

Netslunatic76
05-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Hip Hop went down the tube when it stopped being about real life struggles,life Lessons and Heartache. And now every song is about hoes,money's and how rich you are.

NWA> anything put out in last 10 years.

Hip Hop wasn't always gangsta rap. Sugar Hill Gang rapped about girls, partying, and just having a good time as did most other rappers until the mid to late 80s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diiL9bqvalo

JoeyBoy718
05-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Obviously Mushnick is a bigot and an idiot, but he shouldn't be fired or should he need to apologize for what he said. You have to consider he is a COLUMNIST for a right-wing audience. The reason why guys who put "Chink in the Armor" as article titles should be fired is because they're supposed to be news reporters. Columnists have a lot more leeway.

Now, I haven't been following Jay-Z's marketing and promoting so I can't comment on that. But I don't see anything urban/pro-black/gangsta/criminal about black and white uniforms. The Heat have basically changed to black and white. The Raiders have it, LA Kings, etc. Personally I love the simplicity and masculinity of it. I really don't see anything wrong with the Nets trying to promote their new location/team and I definitely don't see anything wrong with going with black and white uniforms. What am I missing here?

kvrnm
05-06-2012, 02:38 AM
Would you want a guy convicted of rape teaching a sex ed class? :D

how long we gotta pay our dues?

Trueblue2
05-06-2012, 02:40 AM
Did he say n---as or n---ers?