PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson Won't Rule Out Knicks' Job Despite Concerns About Roster

JordansBulls
05-04-2012, 02:19 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--knicks-need-to-chase-phil-jackson-with-a-trail-of-cash.html

Dolan chasing his next savior, Phil Jackson. Along the way, Dolan ought to forget selling Jackson on his New York Knicks nostalgia and sentiment, on the joys of coaching Anthony. Jackson knows his own history here, and knows he never would’ve won a solitary title with the Lakers and Bulls had ‘Melo been one of his cornerstones.

Dolan doesn’t need to come with the elaborate recruiting presentation that he did for James for a simple reason: Above everything else, this is a cash deal. No salary cap, no limits.

In so many ways, this simplifies everything for Dolan. Madison Square Garden management gets to play to the boss’ strength, perhaps his greatest gift as a sport owner: overspending. Jackson has 13 championship rings – 11 as a coach and two as a Knicks player – and Dolan could need to pay him $1 million a year for every one of those titles. The Knicks aren’t chasing a coach, but a max-salary star with no max-salary restrictions.

Jackson isn’t enthralled with the Knicks' roster, a source who talks to him said, but that doesn’t mean he’d completely rule out the job. New York matters to him, and, so does money, the kind of money only the desperation of Dolan could dole out.

Yes, Kentucky’s John Calipari will listen should the Knicks come calling with $8 million or $9 million a year, but New York doesn’t need Cal’s insecurities and frailties taking over the Garden. He’s a great college coach, but commanding the respect of teenagers and decidedly different pros have little in common. There’s no correlation getting big-time talented college kids to play together and keeping ‘Melo from telling you to “Bleep off,” when you challenge him.
There’s one man for the job, one coach worth a max star’s contract when he walks into the room. For once, the Knicks aren’t restricted to the cap. For once, the Knicks can play to James Dolan’s only strength as an owner: a ridiculously rich father who lets his ridiculously fortunate son overspend how he sees fit. Whatever Dolan does, he shouldn’t insult Phil Jackson’s intelligence. This pursuit won’t be about an old Knicks’ nostalgia, nor this roster’s flawed stars. Just a big, cold and dark vault of Cablevision’s cash.

justinnum1
05-04-2012, 02:20 PM
jackson is going to bend doaln over.

15mil per season. do it!

Wade>You
05-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Don't think he does it.

Max.This
05-04-2012, 02:21 PM
doesnt matter really. If the knicks owners have money to do it then why not. Pay the mfer 20 mil for all I care.

Wade>You
05-04-2012, 02:23 PM
jackson is going to bend doaln over.

15mil per season. do it!This reminds me of when the Knicks hired Larry Brown, who eventually just ended up getting fired and collecting the remainder of his salary up front. Smart move by Jackson if he's thinking the same thing.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Another speculation article.

Phil has to come out himself and say all this.

Wade>You
05-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Another speculation article.

Phil has to come out himself and say all this.I agree, but Woj did say this:

Jackson isn’t enthralled with the Knicks' roster, a source who talks to him said, but that doesn’t mean he’d completely rule out the job. New York matters to him, and, so does money, the kind of money only the desperation of Dolan could dole out.

Not the most credible thing to write an article about, and definitely not a vote a confidence for the Knicks , but at least it's not coming out of Woj's ***, either.

gotoHcarolina52
05-04-2012, 02:28 PM
That would be great for the Knicks, but terrible for Phil

KnicksorBust
05-04-2012, 02:29 PM
He's the only available coach worth pursuing. I have no problem bringing back Woodson. He's done a phenomenal job. But if the Jackson rumors have any legs, Dolan's gotta open up the wallet and get him here.

I'm not sure how Lin would fit in the triangle but now I'm getting ahead of myself. :)

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-04-2012, 02:36 PM
I agree, but Woj did say this:

Not the most credible thing to write an article about, and definitely not a vote a confidence for the Knicks , but at least it's not coming out of Woj's ***, either.

I don't care, not even Woj can talk on behalf of the great and legendary Zen Master.

The only person who can say stuff on his behalf and holds true credence to what she says is Lakers VP of Public Relations, daughter of Lakers owner Dr. Buss, and girlfriend of Phil Jackson, the beautiful Ms. Jeanie Buss. That's it. If Phil wants to come back to coaching, she would be the first person he would tell.

Maybe Woj has heard the whispers here and there, but I think the guy doesn't have all his facts down when it comes to the Zen Master. Nobody ever knows what he's thinking.

With that all being said.....I actually believe that Phil Jackson will be the head coach of the New York Knicks come the beginning of the 2012-13.

Wade>You
05-04-2012, 02:42 PM
I don't care, not even Woj can talk on behalf of the great and legendary Zen Master.

The only person who can say stuff on his behalf and holds true credence to what she says is Lakers VP of Public Relations, daughter of Lakers owner Dr. Buss, and girlfriend of Phil Jackson, the beautiful Ms. Jeanie Buss. That's it. If Phil wants to come back to coaching, she would be the first person he would tell.

Maybe Woj has heard the whispers here and there, but I think the guy doesn't have all his facts down when it comes to the Zen Master. Nobody ever knows what he's thinking.

With that all being said.....I actually believe that Phil Jackson will be the head coach of the New York Knicks come the beginning of the 2012-13.That's true, I do think the Lakers (via Jeanie) would know something first. And it's gonna be tough to go home to your wife when you quit her company and go work for a rival company instead.

JDMVP
05-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Hey one thing is for sure though if im James Dolan, I get this guy to coach my team its pretty much sure that im going to win a RING, lol.

J4KOP99
Such a stupid article with no real source, let alone Jackson actually saying it himself...

It is not happening. You do not win a championship with this current roster or a roster built around Melo. As long as the Heat stay in tact, the Knicks aren't winning. (unless something ridiculous happens like Dwight and Deron join the knicks after both sign vet min. contracts...)

Think about the main guys Phil has had...

1. Jordan
2. Pippen

-then all the great secondary/role players

1. Shaq
2. Kobe

-then you have Gasol for the next 2... and once again, all the tremendous secondary/role players.

Now, let's get to the knicks. And mind you, Jordan was THE GREATEST player in the league at the time (and of all time) and Pippen was an amazing talent as well. Arguably a top 5 player too during their time together on the Bulls.

Same thing with LA. Shaq was THE BEST player in the game and arguably the most dominant center of all time. Kobe was a top 5 player. When they won in 09 and 10, Pau was arguably the best big man in the game...

Ok, NOW let's get to the Knicks.

#1 guy... Carmelo Anthony. Most likely a top 10 player in the league but even at this point in his career, we have more questions than answers. You wouldn't define him as mentally tough. usually when things start going wrong, he either quits or goes 1 v 5. I rarely ever see him adapt or change his style of play. If he does, it happens for a game or 3 and then he's back to his normal self.

#2 guy... Amare Stoudemire. I really don't even know what to say. Top 20 player in the league now? No mental toughness whatsoever. He and Melo have shown absolutely no ability to mesh either. And Stat hasn't learned how to play alongside Chandler. He also can get hurt (or do something as idiotic as putting his hand through a glass window) at any moment.

Yes, if Dolan and Grunwald brink everyone back, they have a deep roster but that team cannot win a title. Especially with Miami there.

-Phil has a ton of $$$. He isn't going to come back just to make some extra cash that he will most likely never use. The guy spends his time in Montana smoking peyote. He's not gonna come out of retirement with so many unanswered questions.

--If anything, I could see him going to Miami haha... but him and Riley hate each other.

oak2455
This reminds me of when the Knicks hired Larry Brown, who eventually just ended up getting fired and collecting the remainder of his salary up front. Smart move by Jackson if he's thinking the same thing.

yes because Larry and Phil are equal as coaches:laugh::laugh::laugh:

OC Knights #11
05-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Surely at his age, wouldn't he want to win right away. The Knicks will not win with Carmelo or Stoudamire. This doesn't happen.

JDMVP
05-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Such a stupid article with no real source, let alone Jackson actually saying it himself...

It is not happening. You do not win a championship with this current roster or a roster built around Melo. As long as the Heat stay in tact, the Knicks aren't winning. (unless something ridiculous happens like Dwight and Deron join the knicks after both sign vet min. contracts...)

Think about the main guys Phil has had...

1. Jordan
2. Pippen

-then all the great secondary/role players

1. Shaq
2. Kobe

-then you have Gasol for the next 2... and once again, all the tremendous secondary/role players.

Now, let's get to the knicks. And mind you, Jordan was THE GREATEST player in the league at the time (and of all time) and Pippen was an amazing talent as well. Arguably a top 5 player too during their time together on the Bulls.

Same thing with LA. Shaq was THE BEST player in the game and arguably the most dominant center of all time. Kobe was a top 5 player. When they won in 09 and 10, Pau was arguably the best big man in the game...

Ok, NOW let's get to the Knicks.

#1 guy... Carmelo Anthony. Most likely a top 10 player in the league but even at this point in his career, we have more questions than answers. You wouldn't define him as mentally tough. usually when things start going wrong, he either quits or goes 1 v 5. I rarely ever see him adapt or change his style of play. If he does, it happens for a game or 3 and then he's back to his normal self.

#2 guy... Amare Stoudemire. I really don't even know what to say. Top 20 player in the league now? No mental toughness whatsoever. He and Melo have shown absolutely no ability to mesh either. And Stat hasn't learned how to play alongside Chandler. He also can get hurt (or do something as idiotic as putting his hand through a glass window) at any moment.

Yes, if Dolan and Grunwald brink everyone back, they have a deep roster but that team cannot win a title. Especially with Miami there.

-Phil has a ton of $$$. He isn't going to come back just to make some extra cash that he will most likely never use. The guy spends his time in Montana smoking peyote. He's not gonna come out of retirement with so many unanswered questions.

--If anything, I could see him going to Miami haha... but him and Riley hate each other.

If there is any guy to make this WORK or in General to fix the Knicks, its PHIL JACKSON none other.

One thing about Phil is as long as you have a SUPERSTAR, he can make things work. Carmelo is a SUPERSTAR in this league and he can make it work.

Lin and Iman wont be great in the PJs system, lol just ask Gary Payton....

but yeah I think with the right roster moves and certainly they have the pieces to get Phil the RIGHT Players for his system. I think it can work.

CEasFiRe
05-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Until Phil says he'd like to coach again, I'll not feel the need to care for speculation

Wade>You
05-04-2012, 03:02 PM
yes because Larry and Phil are equal as coaches:laugh::laugh::laugh:So...how did you come to the conclusion of "Larry = Phil" based off my post? :eyebrow:

And I don't think I need to explain my previous post since I never insinuated that comparison.

Sinestro
05-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Just stay at home Phil, take care of your health and don't waste your time

beasted86
05-04-2012, 03:06 PM
I think Stan Van Gundy is a more realistic target once he gets canned.

J4KOP99
05-04-2012, 03:10 PM
If there is any guy to make this WORK or in General to fix the Knicks, its PHIL JACKSON none other.

One thing about Phil is as long as you have a SUPERSTAR, he can make things work. Carmelo is a SUPERSTAR in this league and he can make it work.

Lin and Iman wont be great in the PJs system, lol just ask Gary Payton....

but yeah I think with the right roster moves and certainly they have the pieces to get Phil the RIGHT Players for his system. I think it can work.

There is a difference between having a superstar and having the best or 2 best players in the league.

Superstar is just some nice, dressed up word. There is a list about 7 people long that can be argued as better players than Carmelo... but that's an argument for another day.

Every championship team Phil has ever coached has been the best team on paper. Now, obviously that only means so much, but what I'm getting at is that Phil only coached the most talented teams. The Knicks do not have the most talented roster nor do they have the best player(s).

The Knicks can be good, eastern conference finals good, but they are not better than the Heat. The Miami roster looks like a roster Phil would be interested in.

oak2455
05-04-2012, 03:10 PM
So...how did you come to the conclusion of "Larry = Phil" based off my post? :eyebrow:

And I don't think I need to explain my previous post since I never insinuated that comparison.

This reminds me of when the Knicks hired Larry Brown, who eventually just ended up getting fired and collecting the remainder of his salary up front It just seemed like you thought they were the same........ It just seemed like you insinuated they were equal....my bad:D

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-04-2012, 03:14 PM
If Phil comes they need to trade Amare as soon as possible...Amare in triangle would be a disaster:laugh:, he has zero post game and has no IQ to learn the aspects of this complicated offense.

Wade>You
05-04-2012, 03:15 PM
This reminds me of when the Knicks hired Larry Brown, who eventually just ended up getting fired and collecting the remainder of his salary up front It just seemed like you thought they were the same........ It just seemed like you insinuated they were equal....my bad:DAll good :up:, I never intended to say they were equal. Just saying, be careful of coaches who only want to get paid a ridiculous salary. Their heart is not in it for the team.

lakerboy
05-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Jackson can't fix this. Change has to come from the top, starting at the owner.

Evolution23
05-04-2012, 03:17 PM
never gonna happen

nycsports2
05-04-2012, 03:22 PM
i want woodson but thats just my opinion

Abdul Mutalib
05-04-2012, 03:23 PM
i doubt hes even thinkin about this... if at all, its cuz of the $ otherwise y unecessarily tarnish a hof career by losing with knicks at the end. his coaching style will not suit guys like melo and amare anyways

JasonJohnHorn
05-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Woodson is doing a great job. He's getting hammered in the playoffs, but that isn't entirely his fault.

I'm not sure why Phil Jackson would take the job. He sounded pretty sincere when he said he was done. He's in his 70's now, and likely wants to enjoy the fortune he has amassed over the years and spend some time with family. Jackson has nothing really to gain from coming out of retirement. He's done everything a coach could hope to do.

That said, I believe he could make this team a contender with the roster as it is. When he came back to LA, he took a lottery team and made them a playoff team. It was a huge jump for that team at the time. Jackson can make teams better.

If Baron Davis stays, and everybody is healthy, and they can add a couple players via the MLE or vet-min, then this team can be very good. That said, it may be hard to keep Davis without the MLE, because I believe teams like Miami and LA would be willing to part with their MLE for a PG of his ability.

Avenged
05-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Not even Phil can save them. :p