BREAKING: Ryan Anderson to be named Most Improved Player

https://twitter.com/#!/MagicInsider

MonroeFAN
05-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Stupid. The guy essentially regressed.

This was Greg Monroe's award (or DMC).

Hawkeye15
05-04-2012, 09:46 AM
I mean, he barely improved, he just got a lot more minutes. However, since Lin and Pekovic weren't discovered until 1/3 of the season in, and then dealt with injuries after a strong run I see why neither won, but I still think Ilyasova or Monroe had the best case for winning it this season.

Regardless, congrats to Anderson.

NYKnickFanatic
05-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Congrats, well deserved.

NYKnickFanatic
05-04-2012, 09:47 AM
I mean, he barely improved, he just got a lot more minutes. However, since Lin and Pekovic weren't discovered until 1/3 of the season in, and then dealt with injuries after a strong run, but I still think Ilyasova or Monroe had the best case for winning it this season.

Agreed.

MonroeFAN
05-04-2012, 09:47 AM
He didn't improve at all.

kdspurman
05-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Maybe cause Ilyasova was injured towards the end but I think he may have been deserving too. If Milwaukee grabbed the 8th spot maybe it changes things

xbrackattackx
05-04-2012, 09:51 AM
I can live with this.

MonroeFAN
05-04-2012, 09:52 AM
At the end of the day, it's a meaningless award either way, but I don't see how any of you could agree with the selection of Anderson.

Monroe and other players clearly improved more. (like, a lot more).

Anderson did not improve at all.

Hawkeye15
05-04-2012, 09:52 AM
He didn't improve at all.

He did, slightly. But its so minimal. His PER, TS%, and WS/48 BARELY went up. He just got himself 11 more mpg. Of course that will translate to his expected jump in per game statistics.

Again, there were 2 guys I thought had a better case, but it's not going to kill my day that Anderson won it haha.

MonroeFAN
05-04-2012, 09:54 AM
mm, yeah alright, my day is not killed either. Just think it's a stupid decision.

TeamStream25
05-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Ehh I'm 50/50. Why because he hit a million three pointers? So what...

Hawkeye15
05-04-2012, 10:00 AM
mm, yeah alright, my day is not killed either. Just think it's a stupid decision.

well, I get why it bugs you a bit. Monroe is obviously a favorite player of yours, and no doubt he had more of a claim to this award. I had a vested interest in this award last year as a Wolves fan, like you do now. It would have rubbed me wrong had someone other than Love won it.

There are two more deserving players than Anderson. I think it's a fairly easy argument to make. But again, he went from a role player to a prominent contributor with great numbers. It came from simply giving him 50% more playing time, but that is how simple some of these voters are. They don't put enough thought into sports awards. Or maybe we just care too much?

thekmp211
05-04-2012, 10:06 AM
whatever. i get the metrics, i just don't care that much. monroe, hibbert, avery bradley would have been better choices in earnest. but whatever.

MonroeFAN
05-04-2012, 10:10 AM
You make some good points Hawkeye, and yeah the fact that we're still discussing the lowest honor of an award you can receive in the NBA shows that we probably care more than most.

Hawkeye15
05-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Over the next 5 years, who would you rather have on your team? Monroe or Anderson?

That is why I wouldn't let this bother you at all.

D12 fan
05-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Over the next 5 years, who would you rather have on your team? Monroe or Anderson?

That is why I wouldn't let this bother you at all.

What does this has to do with the Most Improved Player award,it's not who's the better player it who had the biggest jump in production from last year to this year.Everbody knew the NBA wasn't going to reward 2players (Monroe/Cousins),their team didn't even make the playoffs,and they don't play on Nat'l tv,so most people don't even watch them.

Hawkeye15
05-04-2012, 10:32 AM
What does this has to do with the Most Improved Player award,it's not who's the better player it who had the biggest jump in production from last year to this year.Everbody knew the NBA wasn't going to reward 2players (Monroe/Cousins),their team didn't even make the playoffs,and they don't play on Nat'l tv,so most people don't even watch them.

I was speaking to the Monroe fan, telling him that despite the fact he doesn't agree with this award being given to Anderson, he can be happy he is getting the better player over the next 5 years most likely.

Love won it last year on a 17 win team. So the limitations of needing to be on a winning team were broken last year, if they hadn't been already previously.

Swashcuff
05-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Every year people get peeved when someone wins this award but for Monroe fan the award is rarely given to a 2nd year player (I believe Gilbert Arenas was the last 2nd year player to win it) because of the mere fact that they are expected to improve on their rookie season as a natural progression. That may have been the deciding factor in this one.

Anderson's improvement came solely from the fact that he played increased minutes this season. I don't however think the decision was an easy one but his leading the league in 3FGs must have swayed the opinion on some voters as well as the fact that he was (statistically) more valuable to his team winning than most other candidates for the award.

felixng2012
05-04-2012, 10:50 AM
What about Ersan Ilyasova who is a 3rd year and not a sophomore? He improved way more than Ryan Anderson. Ryan Anderson barely improved he just had more playing time. If he played 33 + minutes per game Ilyasova would be a double double machine. He also shoots an impressive 45.5% from 3.

Baller1
05-04-2012, 11:03 AM
I like Anderson, but this should have been Ilyasova's.

haggis
05-04-2012, 11:08 AM
What about Ersan Ilyasova who is a 3rd year and not a sophomore? He improved way more than Ryan Anderson. Ryan Anderson barely improved he just had more playing time. If he played 33 + minutes per game Ilyasova would be a double double machine. He also shoots an impressive 45.5% from 3.

Yep.

Take the list of every season for every NBA player. Going back to the 1979-80 season — when the three-point shot was added — there have been approximately 10,000 player-seasons (i.e., think roughly 325 NBA players per year times 32 seasons).

Now take that list and cut it down in three steps.

1) Eliminate players who shot less than 48% from the field.
2) Eliminate players who shot less than 44% on three-point attempts (or made fewer than 10 three-pointers).
3) Eliminate players who grabbed fewer than 16% of available rebounds when on the court.

Who’s left?

2012 Ersan and no one else.

http://behindthebuckpass.com/2012/04/25/on-ersan-ilyasova-the-milwaukee-bucks-and-a-long-term-contract/

John Walls Era
05-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Would've picked Bynum

sp1derm00
05-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Every year people get peeved when someone wins this award but for Monroe fan the award is rarely given to a 2nd year player (I believe Gilbert Arenas was the last 2nd year player to win it) because of the mere fact that they are expected to improve on their rookie season as a natural progression. That may have been the deciding factor in this one.

Anderson's improvement came solely from the fact that he played increased minutes this season. I don't however think the decision was an easy one but his leading the league in 3FGs must have swayed the opinion on some voters as well as the fact that he was (statistically) more valuable to his team winning than most other candidates for the award.

This.

in 04-05, Lebron went from a 20/5/5 player to a 27/7/7 player on much better FG% in only a few more mpg.

Who won the MIP award that season? Bobby Simmons who went from an 8/3/5 in 25mpg to a 16/4/6 player in 38mpg.

Lebron: +7/+2/+2 in 3mpg more (+6% FG%)

Simmons: +8/+1/+1 in 13 mpg more. (+7% FG%)

Lebron clearly deserved the award more but wasn't awarded it because he was expected to get better in his second year.

sp1derm00
05-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Would've picked Bynum

I'm a Laker fan and I wouldn't have picked Bynum.

Bynum was playing at this level in 08' before his knee injury and the Pau Gasol trade.

This season just marks his first healthy season since then.

PurpleJesus
05-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Should have been Lin, even though he only played half the season.

shep33
05-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Yeah, Bynum's always been pretty good, just never got the chance due to injuries, and really Pau and LO being the main cogs in our frontline during those championship runs

THE MTL
05-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Eh, this award was Lin's until his injury made him miss the last 1/3 of the season.

D12 fan
05-04-2012, 11:51 AM
I was speaking to the Monroe fan, telling him that despite the fact he doesn't agree with this award being given to Anderson, he can be happy he is getting the better player over the next 5 years most likely.

Love won it last year on a 17 win team. So the limitations of needing to be on a winning team were broken last year, if they hadn't been already previously.

Love was a beast last year,guy was averaging 20pts and led the league in rebounds 15 per game.Monroe is not having that type of production.

kenzo400
05-04-2012, 11:54 AM
I mean, he barely improved, he just got a lot more minutes. However, since Lin and Pekovic weren't discovered until 1/3 of the season in, and then dealt with injuries after a strong run I see why neither won, but I still think Ilyasova or Monroe had the best case for winning it this season.

+1 and it's not like he improved his all around game. All he does is take jump shots and threes. The exact same thing he was doing last year, but had less attempts.

The MIP award is complete nonsense. All they really look at is how much your scoring average went up from the previous year.

Tmath
05-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Product of Dwight

Cfrey
05-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Pek the monster of all the land should have won.

TheWhiteMamba
05-04-2012, 12:30 PM

I agree. Just glad it wasnt Lin though.

Gators123
05-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Congrats. Should have been Harden though.

tredigs
05-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Ilyasova was by far the MIP (there's no contender, especially when you take into account years in the league and what was expected as a natural progression for Harden and Monroe; although Harden's efficiency improvement was insane - unlike Monroe). But, Ryan Anderson beasted and enjoyed the spotlight in Dwight's absence. So there ya go.

Hawkeye15
05-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Pek the monster of all the land should have won.

If Adelman hadn't gone with the Darko experiment the first month, and Pek didn't get the bone spurs, he would have had a very legit shot.

Cfrey
05-04-2012, 12:40 PM
If Adelman hadn't gone with the Darko experiment the first month, and Pek didn't get the bone spurs, he would have had a very legit shot.

Yeah if he played more games he probably would have been highly considered.

Max.This
05-04-2012, 12:46 PM
A big Lin fan but I def think ersan should have won or Monroe . Glad Lin didn't win cause a lot of people would bash it. To be honest Lin is a great kid , humble and is hardworking, it's seriously a shame that ppl talk so much shot about him just because the media overhypes him. The kid is overcoming so many obstacles to get where he is now culturally, mentally and some ppl get ticked off by it. Def glad he didn't win so his name does down in the media an he can just get back to working hard and playing ball

Baller1
05-04-2012, 01:02 PM
My ballot:

1. Ilyasova
2. Lin
3. Pekovic
4. Harden
5. Anderson

Chronz
05-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Product of Dwight
Proof? He spent 1208 Minutes with Dwight and 756 without him, yet his stats increased without Dwight. Is there something Im missing here?

felixng2012
05-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Proof? He spent 1208 Minutes with Dwight and 756 without him, yet his stats increased without Dwight. Is there something Im missing here?

He stats per minute pretty much didn't change at all. The only thing that changed was his minutes per game. Ersan was robbed. If he was on a better team he probably would have won.

Wade>You
05-04-2012, 02:43 PM
He earned it, he was producing well in limited minutes before joining the Magic.

All he needed was more minutes to show off what he could do.

The Heat have a similar situation with Dexter Pittman, but Spo doesn't believe in using the reg. season to develop his younger players. He spent the regular season trying to get Joel Anthony to play better, instead.

torocan
05-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Grats to Anderson.

Pity Lin got injured, it was pretty much his to lose. Tough break considering how many obstacles he's had to overcome already.

Sadly, I think his window for winning this award is closed. Even if he plays well next year, he won't get another shot at the MIP award unless he becomes a beast player.

jayjay33
05-04-2012, 03:04 PM
This should have been lin's without a doubt. Peopl make the case that some these other guys are "better" player's and I agree. But I have yet to see anyone just flat out say player A had a bigger jump on there own game than lin had in his. Which is what the award is for. That should tell you something.

MonroeFAN
05-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Love was a beast last year,guy was averaging 20pts and led the league in rebounds 15 per game.Monroe is not having that type of production.

He's 1000x the player Ryan Anderson is, or ever will be. It's not the MVP award, team record shouldn't mean anything.

Danny Granger won it with no playoffs.
Monta Ellis won it with no playoffs.
Aaron Brooks won it with no playoffs.

Those were within the last 6 seasons. Greg Monroe was 35th in per, and top 10 for most of the season until Frank started to run the offense through Tayshaun instead. Within those 35 players, he and DMC played the least amount of minutes.

He shot the ball 52% from the field and was the 2nd best center in the league in terms of SPG.

Ryan Anderson sits behind the 3 point line, and is currently playing GOD awful without Dwight Howard. Coincidence?

Forget Greg Monroe, Ersan was incredible too. He also didn't have the best center in the league, or he would have easily made the playoffs.

The award is a joke, no love loss... but Ryan Anderson is garbage (sorry dude).

MonroeFAN
05-04-2012, 05:25 PM
although Harden's efficiency improvement was insane - unlike Monroe).

Hard to improve on a 50% shooter. Although I can't tell if you're talking poorly about Monroe's game or not.

Suggesting that Lin should even be considered for this award is stupid IMO. He's essentially a rookie, and statistically was not a better player than any other one's being mentioned (even with half of the games played. Well, alright it was better than Anderson).

Swashcuff
05-04-2012, 05:39 PM
He's 1000x the player Ryan Anderson is, or ever will be. It's not the MVP award, team record shouldn't mean anything.

Danny Granger won it with no playoffs.
Monta Ellis won it with no playoffs.
Aaron Brooks won it with no playoffs.

Those were within the last 6 seasons. Greg Monroe was 35th in per, and top 10 for most of the season until Frank started to run the offense through Tayshaun instead. Within those 35 players, he and DMC played the least amount of minutes.

He shot the ball 52% from the field and was the 2nd best center in the league in terms of SPG.

Ryan Anderson sits behind the 3 point line, and is currently playing GOD awful without Dwight Howard. Coincidence?

Forget Greg Monroe, Ersan was incredible too. He also didn't have the best center in the league, or he would have easily made the playoffs.

The award is a joke, no love loss... but Ryan Anderson is garbage (sorry dude).

Danny Granger, Monta Ellis, Kevin Love, Aaron Brooks, etc were not in their 2nd season in the league.

Also Ryan Anderson was every bit as good as Monroe if not better last season. So if you're going to say Anderson is garbage the very same should be said about Monroe.

Anderson is not a product of Dwight he's been better when Dwight was off the floor so I really don't understand that point.

MonroeFAN
05-04-2012, 05:42 PM
How on earth do you even begin to start suggesting that Anderson is as good as Monroe, or even comparable?

Edit: Oh, last season, as in Monroe's rookie season? I guess I can't really argue that, but Monroe's numbers really haven't changed as a full time starter. He's a 16 & 10 guy, and will be a 20-10 very soon. I am to the point where I am no longer supporting him in this race, but Ersan and other players definitely deserved it more. Monroe didn't improve all that much, just received more playing time (and the numbers showed). Anderson received more PT, and his numbers barely changed.

How about the fact that he's currently averaging 4 points on 26% shooting (WITHOUT DWIGHT). He had nothing to do with Orlando being a playoff team, suggesting that his play got them there is ridiculous.

Raph12
05-04-2012, 05:43 PM
I'll take it, although without Dwight, his numbers have taken a big hit...

Swashcuff
05-04-2012, 05:47 PM
How on earth do you even begin to start suggesting that Anderson is as good as Monroe, or even comparable?

Because he was? What's your case for Monroe over Anderson? His rebounding and his FG%?

MonroeFAN
05-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Check my edit.

As for this season, I would assume you're not talking about that since there is no comparison to be made.

But yeah, shame on me for thinking a big should rebound the ball and shoot a high percentage. Rebounding & efficiency = winning basketball (although having the best center in the league doesn't hurt).

Swashcuff
05-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Check my edit.

As for this season, I would assume you're not talking about that since there is no comparison to be made.

But yeah, shame on me for thinking a big should rebound the ball and shoot a high percentage. Rebounding & efficiency = winning basketball (although having the best center in the league doesn't hurt).

But Anderson plays the perimeter and is a more efficient scorer than Monroe? Dirk doesn't rebound as well as most would Love but does that mean that Carlos Boozer is better than he is?

JasonJohnHorn
05-04-2012, 06:05 PM
I know Lin missed a lot of games due to injury, but this should have been his award. Monroe, Harden, Bynum, Anderson and Pekovic are all in the conversation, but Lin's jump was astronomical from last season.

ManRam
05-04-2012, 06:06 PM
:clap:

Though, he didn't really improve at all...he just got more minutes. Peep his per 36 minute stats, or his PER and WS/48 from last year. He was great last year, just not getting minutes. I LOVE Anderson, but I wouldn't have voted for him myself honestly. He didn't improve all that much, he just got 10 more minutes of playing time.

And he's sucked in the playoffs, so that's that...

kjoke
05-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Maybe he got 10 more minutes a game because he improved....

Rivera
05-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Ryan "ryno" "the best player in the nba" Anderson

Congrats :clap:

CityofTreez
05-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Love you Ry Ry.

But **** you for dunking on me in 05'.

ManRam
05-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Maybe he got 10 more minutes a game because he improved....

Or because they traded Bass...or maybe, even better, because they knew he was this good. He got those minutes from day 1, it's not like he slowly started improving and earning them. They were his from the start. Which plays into my idea that he really didn't improve.

I've seen plenty of Anderson. He's better, just not leaps and bounds. The things he does well: offensive rebounds, three/FT shooting and not turning the ball over didn't really improve much. He deserved more minutes last year, we just had too many bodies.

Per 36 numbers:

2011: 17.2/9.0/1.3 on 43/39.3/81.2 shooting
2012: 18.0/8.6/1.0 on 43.9/39.3/87.7 shooting

He was a marginally better offensive rebound (a worse total rebounder), and shot slightly better from the field. That's really all the improved. Per 36 minutes there's basically no difference between last year's Ryno and this year's Ryno. He just got more minutes.

Defensively he's no better either.

I'm glad he's wrong, I just don't think he came out of nowhere like most seem to think. He was solid last year, he just didn't get the minutes because he was contendingwith Gortat (some of the season), Lewis (some of the season) and Bass for minutes. This year, those minutes were all his.

Gram
05-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Gram Monroe should have won it. <3

DR_1
05-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Monroe, Lin, or Pekovic should have gotten it

ManRam
05-04-2012, 06:25 PM
And the "he's no good without Dwight" argument is pure garbage. Just go check the stats with and without Dwight. If you don't like stats, just watch him. Hard to say after the stinker he put up the other night...but if you actually watch the Magic, and watch him with or without Dwight, you'll realize that a lot of what he does well (shooting and offensive rebounding) don't drop off one bit without Dwight. He's had a few of his best ever rebounding games with Dwight not playing...

Don't think me saying he didn't deserve this is me thinking he's a bum. I don't think he deserved it, but it's not because it's bad...it's because he was this good last year, he just didn't play 30+ minutes a game.

jayjay33
05-04-2012, 06:27 PM

Though, he didn't really improve at all...he just got more minutes. Peep his per 36 minute stats, or his PER and WS/48 from last year. He was great last year, just not getting minutes. I LOVE Anderson, but I wouldn't have voted for him myself honestly. He didn't improve all that much, he just got 10 more minutes of playing time.

And he's sucked in the playoffs, so that's that...

Yeah it really does seem Like MIP is more of a who do you think is "better" than a who do you think "improved" the most award. they need to change the name to something else. like the BIP best improved player.

Raph12
05-04-2012, 07:14 PM
And the "he's no good without Dwight" argument is pure garbage. Just go check the stats with and without Dwight. If you don't like stats, just watch him. Hard to say after the stinker he put up the other night...but if you actually watch the Magic, and watch him with or without Dwight, you'll realize that a lot of what he does well (shooting and offensive rebounding) don't drop off one bit without Dwight. He's had a few of his best ever rebounding games with Dwight not playing...

Ryno's Stats Pre-Dwight Injury:
61 Season Games
32.2 MPG
16.1 PPG
12.4 FGA
.439 FG%
6.9 ThrA
.393 Thr%
3.7 ORPG
4.0 DRPG
7.7 TRPG

Ryno's stats Post-Dwight Injury:
10 Season Games
37.2 MPG
16.3 PPG
13.9 FGA
.432 FG%
6.9 ThrA
.275 Thr%
4.4 ORPG
4.6 DRPG
9.0 TRPG

The only thing Ryno did better without Dwight, is rebound the ball, which isn't surprising, considering the fact that Dwight gobbles up rebounds on both ends. In the playoffs, Ryno has become a non-factor without the presence of Dwight drawing attention. Even Ryan admitted in his interview "It's hard playing the whole year a certain way and then a team does everything they can to eliminate you totally out of the game." Without Dwight, the Pacers have been able to focus their defense on Ryno and it has really hurt him... These are his numbers in the playoffs:

3 Playoffs Games
32.8 MPG
7.7 PPG
7.3 FGA
.318 FG%
5.0 ThrA
.333 Thr%
1.3 ORPG
3.7 DRPG
5.0 TRPG
4.7 FPG

I think if Dwight were playing, Ryno would be able to stay out of foul trouble, get some more open looks and attack the glass under-the-radar like he has done all season.

ManRam
05-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Ryno's Stats Pre-Dwight Injury:
61 Season Games
32.2 MPG
16.1 PPG
12.4 FGA
.439 FG%
6.9 ThrA
.393 Thr%
3.7 ORPG
4.0 DRPG
7.7 TRPG

Ryno's stats Post-Dwight Injury:
10 Season Games
37.2 MPG
16.3 PPG
13.9 FGA
.432 FG%
6.9 ThrA
.275 Thr%
4.4 ORPG
4.6 DRPG
9.0 TRPG

The only thing Ryno did better without Dwight, is rebound the ball, which isn't surprising, considering the fact that Dwight gobbles up rebounds on both ends. In the playoffs, Ryno has become a non-factor without the presence of Dwight drawing attention. Even Ryan admitted in his interview "It's hard playing the whole year a certain way and then a team does everything they can to eliminate you totally out of the game." Without Dwight, the Pacers have been able to focus their defense on Ryno and it has really hurt him... These are his numbers in the playoffs:

3 Playoffs Games
32.8 MPG
7.7 PPG
7.3 FGA
.318 FG%
5.0 ThrA
.333 Thr%
1.3 ORPG
3.7 DRPG
5.0 TRPG
4.7 FPG

I think if Dwight were playing, Ryno would be able to stay out of foul trouble, get some more open looks and attack the glass under-the-radar like he has done all season.

He's sucked in the playoffs. Not sure how much I'm going to dig into that...because just about everyone has sucked except Glen. He's not himself. He's not looking for shots, hesitating when open, and not really playing aggressive.

But if you compare those first two groups...is there really a huge difference? Not really. At least I don't see anything too major. Is it enough to make you say "He's nothing without Dwight"? Hell no. In fact, I think it shows the opposite.

He's a good player, with or without Dwight. And he hasn't improved drastically either way.

MIP = +10-Minutes-A-Game-This-Season Award

phoenix_bladen
05-04-2012, 08:18 PM
how the hell did jeremy lin not get it ?

he turned the knicks season around and went on a tear before he got injured

ManRam
05-04-2012, 08:51 PM
how the hell did jeremy lin not get it ?

he turned the knicks season around and went on a tear before he got injured

Probably because he only started 25 games this season...

More Ryan fun tidbits!

@mySynergySports
Ryan Anderson was the 2nd most efficient scorer w/ 800+ possessions, scoring 1.11 Points Per-Possession. James Harden was 1st with 1.13 PPP.

Curious as to what that number was last year...

Chronz
05-04-2012, 08:53 PM
He stats per minute pretty much didn't change at all. The only thing that changed was his minutes per game. Ersan was robbed. If he was on a better team he probably would have won.

Thats definitely a better pick

Chronz
05-04-2012, 08:57 PM
I'll take it, although without Dwight, his numbers have taken a big hit...

Not seeing this big hit. His scoring rate gos up, the only thing that really declines is his 3p% and it should be obvious why. I mean if you look at the #'s, Dwights stats do down without Anderson more than vice versa.

kblo247
05-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Monroe, Lin, or Pekovic should have gotten it

If all they wanted was marginal improvement from more playing time, James Harden and Andrew Bynum should've got it over him

shep33
05-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Well deserved Mr. "Anderson" (Agent Smith voice)

shep33
05-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Can't believe this guy was given away for pretty much nothing

MonroeFAN
05-04-2012, 10:02 PM
But Anderson plays the perimeter and is a more efficient scorer than Monroe? Dirk doesn't rebound as well as most would Love but does that mean that Carlos Boozer is better than he is?

How is he the more efficient scorer? Because he plays the perimeter? He's never shot a higher percentage from the field, and Monroe is not a 3 point shooter (so we obviously can't make a comparison there). From the field, I don't see how you can say Anderson is a more efficient scorer.

Your Dirk Boozer argument puts me in a difficult spot, since there is really no way of arguing it, but if you would honestly rather have Anderson at this point you are in the minority.

My suggestion would be to watch Monroe play (or heck, look at the stat sheet). If you think they are comparable after Monroe posted an efficient 16 & 10 with solid Defense and solid passing ability, then you aren't worth debating with.

I would compare Ryan Anderson to Matt Bonner.

5ass
05-04-2012, 10:11 PM
How is he the more efficient scorer? Because he plays the perimeter? He's never shot a higher percentage from the field, and Monroe is not a 3 point shooter (so we obviously can't make a comparison there). From the field, I don't see how you can say Anderson is a more efficient scorer.

Your Dirk Boozer argument puts me in a difficult spot, since there is really no way of arguing it, but if you would honestly rather have Anderson at this point you are in the minority.

My suggestion would be to watch Monroe play (or heck, look at the stat sheet). If you think they are comparable after Monroe posted an efficient 16 & 10 with solid Defense and solid passing ability, then you aren't worth debating with.

I think ur confused. 3pt attempts are taken into account when calculating FG%.
And Anderson is MUCH better than Bonner. He's not purely a 3pt specialist he can do other things on the court.

5ass
05-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Im happy for Ryno, did he deserve it? I cant say he hasnt, he has improved a lot this season. Is he the most improved? I would say no, but i understand that Ryno has a very good case, and its very debatable.

Swashcuff
05-04-2012, 10:52 PM

Okay let me spell it out for you

Player TS% eFG% USG% ORtg OWS
Ryan Anderson 0.589 0.548 21.2 124 7.0
Greg Monroe 0.563 0.521 23.6 110 4.3

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=anderry01&y1=2012&p2=monrogr01&y2=2012#advanced::19

Now any statistician would tell you that TS% is the best measure for scoring efficiency there is because of the mere fact that it tells how many points is scored per shot attempt rather than FG% which tells you what % of FGAs is made. At the end of the day what's more important is how many points you score not how many buckets you make.

You're trying to make excuses for Monroe being more efficient but if you truly believe making buckets is more important than scoring points then you're not being rational.

That's not the question however. This is a discussion of who is more deserving of the MIP to which you turned into who was better between Anderson and Monroe. I'm simply pointing out to you that despite the fact that Monroe is the better talent and is going to be the better player going forward Anderson was indeed better than him last season.

I watch Monroe play enough to know his worth and I'm quite certain that I have a much better grasp of his statistical prowess that you yourself Monroefan so that's surely not an issue.

You know what I've noticed? Monroe's team is better defensively when he's off the floor. Much better. So what does that mean about Monroe's D? His D that leaves a lot to be desired.

http://www.82games.com/1112/11ORL12.HTM#onoff
http://www.82games.com/1112/11DET14.HTM#onoff

I mean the value that Anderson adds to his team as compared to Monroe isn't really comparable.

If you think a player that was more valuable than Monroe last season doesn't deserve to be compared to him then you're clearly being a blind homer who is unwilling to put his bias aside in the fairness of the discussion.

I would compare him to Ryan Anderson, because right now in the NBA he's one of a kind. He's better than Bonner and Frye but not on the level of Love or Dirk.

ManRam
05-04-2012, 10:59 PM
And swash proves, once again, why he's one of the best on the site. Great post!

Matt Bonner??? :laugh:

felixng2012
05-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Ilyasova was robbed. He improved A LOT. Ryan Anderson just played more minutes.

b@llhog24
05-05-2012, 11:37 PM
okay let me spell it out for you

player ts% efg% usg% ortg ows
ryan anderson 0.589 0.548 21.2 124 7.0
greg monroe 0.563 0.521 23.6 110 4.3

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=anderry01&y1=2012&p2=monrogr01&y2=2012#advanced::19

now any statistician would tell you that ts% is the best measure for scoring efficiency there is because of the mere fact that it tells how many points is scored per shot attempt rather than fg% which tells you what % of fgas is made. At the end of the day what's more important is how many points you score not how many buckets you make.

You're trying to make excuses for monroe being more efficient but if you truly believe making buckets is more important than scoring points then you're not being rational.

That's not the question however. This is a discussion of who is more deserving of the mip to which you turned into who was better between anderson and monroe. I'm simply pointing out to you that despite the fact that monroe is the better talent and is going to be the better player going forward anderson was indeed better than him last season.

I watch monroe play enough to know his worth and i'm quite certain that i have a much better grasp of his statistical prowess that you yourself monroefan so that's surely not an issue.

You know what i've noticed? Monroe's team is better defensively when he's off the floor. Much better. So what does that mean about monroe's d? His d that leaves a lot to be desired.

http://www.82games.com/1112/11orl12.htm#onoff
http://www.82games.com/1112/11det14.htm#onoff

i mean the value that anderson adds to his team as compared to monroe isn't really comparable.

If you think a player that was more valuable than monroe last season doesn't deserve to be compared to him then you're clearly being a blind homer who is unwilling to put his bias aside in the fairness of the discussion.

I would compare him to ryan anderson, because right now in the nba he's one of a kind. He's better than bonner and frye but not on the level of love or dirk.

ownage!

Kashmir13579
05-06-2012, 12:02 AM
I like the pick.

dodie53
05-06-2012, 07:13 AM
he probably deserved it.

Vinny642
06-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Congrats to Ryan Anderson

mgsports
06-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Good for him.

GiantsSwaGG
06-04-2012, 09:12 PM
And Giants #1 Fan proves, once again, why he's one of the best on the site. Great post!

Matt Bonner??? :laugh:

Fixed!

nate2usmc
06-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Well deserved!

LongIslandIcedZ
06-05-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm surprised. Not that Anderson is a bad choice, but since this is the NBA I expected Lin to get it. There is no doubt in my mind he would have gotten it if he didnt get injured. I dont think he deserved it, but he definitely would have gotten it. Congrats to Anderson though.