PDA

View Full Version : Which current players are statue worthy at this point of their careers?

canefandynasty
05-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Dwyane Wade (drafted by current team)
Kobe Bryant
Tim Duncan (drafted by current team)
Dirk Nowitzki

Am I missing anyone? (Paul Pierce is on the outside looking in)

LongIslandIcedZ
05-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Duncan and Dirk

Do other all time Lakers have statues? Cause if they don't Kobe definitely wont. If they do then I also put Kobe on my list

canefandynasty
05-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Duncan and Dirk

Do other all time Lakers have statues? Cause if they don't Kobe definitely wont. If they do then I also put Kobe on my list

Kobe and Wade will definitely get a statue. You're delusional not to think so.

NYK4L
05-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Non of them, go ask pippen what having statue of you means, if your not MJ.

Swashcuff
05-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Duncan and Dirk

You do know that Kobe holds damn near every Laker record right?

BKLYNpigeon
05-04-2012, 09:55 AM
at this point. its only Kobe and Duncan.

Wade might get one out of default, because theres no other player to erect a statue for in Miami. maybe if Wade can win 2-3 more championships.

Jason Kidd? but he played on too many teams, they wouldnt know where to put it.

canefandynasty
05-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Non of them, go ask pippen what having statue of you means, if your not MJ.

Pippen was not the best player in his franchise history. All of those 4 men except Kobe (he's arguable) I named are inarguably the best players in their franchise history.

BKLYNpigeon
05-04-2012, 09:58 AM
I wonder if Lebron will ever get one? not in Cleveland.. maybe in Miami if they can win not 1 or 2 but 4 championships. whats funny is thta Wade would probably get his statue before Lebrons in Miami.

canefandynasty
05-04-2012, 10:01 AM
I wonder if Lebron will ever get one? not in Cleveland.. maybe in Miami if they can win not 1 or 2 but 4 championships. whats funny is thta Wade would probably get his statue before Lebrons in Miami.

I don't see how that's funny. But, if LeBron would've stayed in Cleveland he would've had one regardless of how many rings he wins.

NYK4L
05-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Maybe kobe, but what about magic, kareem etc etc.. MJ got it yes, but before him there were no great Bulls with so many accomplishments.

sixer04fan
05-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Duncan and Dirk

Kobe will go down as the greatest Laker ever, so the logic there doesn't apply.

sixer04fan
05-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Kobe and Wade will definitely get a statue. You're delusional not to think so.

Wade will definitely get one? I don't know about that. It's definitely not delusional to think he may not.

Celticsfan2007
05-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Kobe
Garnett
Duncan
Dirk

thekmp211
05-04-2012, 10:08 AM
that list looks good to me.

Hawkeye15
05-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Kobe and Duncan. Where the hell would a KG statue go?

canefandynasty
05-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Wade will definitely get one? I don't know about that. It's definitely not delusional to think he may not.

State your reasons...I'll state mine.

- Heat best player in franchise history
- Led Heat to first championship (will likely have a couple more Finals appearances)
- TOP 25 player of all time at the very least by the time he retires
- Two outstanding Finals performances already
- TOP 3 player since getting drafted (for the most part)
- Owns most of the team records
- One of the very, very few players that has a opportunity to likely play with drafted team throughout career and retire with them
- Has done alot for the local community
- Is very close with the front office

Wade is still playing at a high level so him adding accolades onto his already impressive resume is highly likely, and assuming he still plays at a high level in 2-3 years, he is no doubt a statue worthy player for the Heat franchise. I'm sorry to say, but you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Joshtd1
05-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Magic has a statue outside the Staples Center. Along with Oscar De La Hoya actually. Wonder where they would put Kobe if they give him one.

The goods
05-04-2012, 10:17 AM

Game set,match Kobe owns the Lakers and owns L.A.
Is he as beloved as magic? No but the guy gets it done in his own way.

Duncan,and Dirk deserve there's as well.

canefandynasty
05-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Don't get why people are including Dirk, but leaving Wade out. That's strange to me.

Can anyone explain that.

Jint.
05-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Eli Manning

ajm56
Kobe/Duncan.......next topic

BKLYNpigeon

- Led Heat to first championship (will likely have a couple more Finals appearances)
- One of the very, very few players that has a opportunity to likely play with drafted team throughout career and retire with them

Wade is still playing at a high level so him adding accolades onto his already impressive resume is highly likely, and assuming he still plays at a high level in 2-3 years, he is no doubt a statue worthy player for the Heat franchise. I'm sorry to say, but you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Wade will probably get one. since he has only played for the Heat and theres no one else to erect a statue for in Miami. Wade wouldnt even sniff a statue in LA.

BKLYNpigeon
05-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Duncan should get one as soon as he retires. He is pure class and one of the best PF of all time.

sixer04fan
05-04-2012, 10:23 AM

I clearly don't know what I'm talking about? Ok, I take a different opinion and you try to insult me... Nice.

Sorry to say, but you clearly don't know how to read a thread title... "Which current players are statue worth AT THIS POINT OF THEIR CAREERS?" The majority of your reasons, your real reasons, not your "he's done a lot for the local community," and "he's close with the front office" reasoning, are going on assumptions of what he's going to accomplish when he retires years down the road.

If Wade retired today, would he be statue worthy for what he's accomplished at this point in his career? That's what the question is asking. My answer would be maybe, but it's definitely debatable. So don't insult me when you aren't even answering the actual question. It's definitely not a 100% yes. And it's not delusional to think he's not. Sorry to say, but it's true.

Will he be statue worthy when he retires? Probably. I can't disagree there. Never saw someone get so pissed off and defensive about something when they aren't even answering the question.

RealLiveBear
05-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Scal
/thread

But really duncan and kobe seem to be the only two logical choices here.

BKLYNpigeon
05-04-2012, 10:26 AM
I clearly don't know what I'm talking about? Ok, I take a different opinion and you try to insult me... Nice.

Sorry to say, but you clearly don't know how to read a thread title... "Which current players are statue worth AT THIS POINT OF THEIR CAREERS?" The majority of your reasons, your real reasons, not your "he's done a lot for the local community," and "he's close with the front office" reasoning, are going on assumptions of what he's going to accomplish when he retires years down the road.

If Wade retired today, would he be statue worthy for what he's accomplished at this point in his career? That's what the question is asking. So don't insult me when you aren't even answering the actual question. It's definitely not a 100% yes. And it's not delusional to think he's not. Sorry to say, but it's true.

Will he be statue worthy when he retires? Probably. I can't disagree there. Never saw someone get so pissed off and defensive about something when they aren't even answering the question.

good point.

read the thread dummys.

canefandynasty
05-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Wade will probably get one. since he has only played for the Heat and theres no one else to erect a statue for in Miami. Wade wouldnt even sniff a statue in LA.

Even though Kobe is a great player, even you have to admit he has been very lucky throughout his career playing with a prime Shaq and then great options like Bynum and Pau. I think prime McGrady could do something similar if he had the opportunity to play with such players.

BKLYNpigeon
05-04-2012, 10:28 AM
If Wade retired today, he will probably just get his Jersey retired. lol.

Swashcuff
05-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Don't get why people are including Dirk, but leaving Wade out. That's strange to me.

Can anyone explain that.

Because Dirk has done more than Wade thus far in his career and is currently ranked higher on the all time list than Wade is?

BKLYNpigeon
05-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Even though Kobe is a great player, even you have to admit he has been very lucky throughout his career playing with a prime Shaq and then great options like Bynum and Pau. I think prime McGrady could do something similar if he had the opportunity to play with such players.

Its not Kobe's fault. you just have to look at the surface of things and their accolades. As much as people dont like Kobe very much. The guy has been Great.

If Wade didnt have shaq for that one year. we wouldnt even be discussion about Wade getting a statue.

canefandynasty
05-04-2012, 10:36 AM

If Wade retired today, would he be statue worthy for what he's accomplished at this point in his career? That's what the question is asking. My answer would be maybe, but it's definitely debatable. So don't insult me when you aren't even answering the actual question. It's definitely not a 100% yes. And it's not delusional to think he's not. Sorry to say, but it's true.

Fair enough, but unless Wade gets into a career ending injury (knocks on wood), or retires now, he's unequivocally statue worthy. If he isn't 100% right now, he's damn near close. Same as Dirk.

Kobe and Duncan you can't debate. They've have the advantage mostly because they've been in the league longer.

But, I think guys like Duncan and LeBron are generational talent. It's a shame LeBron couldn't stay with his hometown team.

kdspurman
05-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Kobe
Garnett
Duncan
Dirk

Where do you see KG Getting a statue :confused:

canefandynasty
05-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Its not Kobe's fault. you just have to look at the surface of things and their accolades. As much as people dont like Kobe very much. The guy has been Great.

If Wade didnt have shaq for that one year. we wouldnt even be discussion about Wade getting a statue.

True, but Shaq's impact in Miami wasn't nearly as great as in L.A. to the point where you just slot any other perennial all star guard in place of the 3 peat Kobe and become instant Finals contenders.

BKLYNpigeon
05-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Garnett woudnt be getting one. theres just no where to put it.

Not in Boston.

maybe Minny...but HIGHY Doubt it.

canefandynasty
05-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Because Dirk has done more than Wade thus far in his career and is currently ranked higher on the all time list than Wade is?

Dirk is higher all time, but it is very close. You're talking as if Dirk is on another level than Wade. Wade owns his team's records just like Dirk. They pretty much have similiar accolades and successes (although I do think Wade is the better individual talent). There's no real difference other than Dirk playing a few extra seasons.

sixer04fan
05-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Fair enough, but unless Wade gets into a career ending injury (knocks on wood), or retires now, he's unequivocally statue worthy. If he isn't 100% right now, he's damn near close. Same as Dirk.

Kobe and Duncan you can't debate. They've have the advantage mostly because they've been in the league longer.

But, I think guys like Duncan and LeBron are generational talent. It's a shame LeBron couldn't stay with his hometown team.

Agreed. Kobe and Duncan - there's no debate.

Dirk is not a lock, but he's right up there. He'd be next on the list of guys to get a statue. Wade is definitely on track, again, we're not disagreeing there. Sorry about going on the offensive haha, seemed like I was being called out.

The only other guy I can think of to put in the discussion would be Pierce... Had Nash spent his whole career in Phoenix there could be a case there as well.

Unfortunately Lebron won't get one for either team (as of yet). Had KG spent his whole career in Minny and won a title there, there'd be a case for him. And then guys like Durant are way too young to even mention in the conversation. Can't really think of anyone else at the moment. Definite no for Chris Paul.

Maybe if Howard reconciles with the Magic and proceeds to lead them to a few championships throughout his career haha. But that's not gonna happen.

JCmasta
05-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Dwyane Wade (drafted by current team)
Kobe Bryant
Tim Duncan (drafted by current team)
Dirk Nowitzki

Am I missing anyone? (Paul Pierce is on the outside looking in)

Dirk took a Dallas team that had no real history or previous success and got them their 1st NBA title and is also the best player in franchise history. So he's a LOCK for a statue.

Duncan is also a guy that will probably get one.

Kobe? IDK lot's of history and greats in laker land, Dwade is a similar case to Dirk, but the whole "Big 3" can muddy things a bit. If Bosh, Lebron, and Wade win multiple titles i think you will just see all three get a statue together at some point.

RaiderLakersA's
05-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Pippen was not the best player in his franchise history. All of those 4 men except Kobe (he's arguable) I named are inarguably the best players in their franchise history.

The funny part is that those other guys -- with the exception of Duncan -- had they been Lakers, wouldn't rate as highly at this point of their careers as some of the other Laker greats, and at least in terms of fan appreciation, not as high as Kobe either.

Magic has a statue, but IMO no one else should get a statue before Kareem does. Kobe is statue worthy, since he played his entire career with the Lakers at this point and had a hand in 5 Laker titles, 7 Lakers Finals appearances, owns just about every significant Lakers record, and depending on who you talk to will likely end his career as a top 10 All-Time NBA player. Statue worthy.

The OP mentioned players, but if I'm a Spurs fan, I'm setting up donations for two statues: one for Duncan and the other for Coach Popovich. One taught playing the game of basketball the right way, while the other played it the right way. Hell, why wait, they should rename the arena "Greg Popovch Center" now.

Swashcuff
05-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Dirk is higher all time, but it is very close. You're talking as if Dirk is on another level than Wade. Wade owns his team's records just like Dirk. They pretty much have similiar accolades and successes (although I do think Wade is the better individual talent). There's no real difference other than Dirk playing a few extra seasons.

Dirk also changed the dynamic of the NBA becoming the first real European great in the NBA, he won an MVP (something Wade hasn't) and a FMVP becoming the first European player ever to do such. He has more All NBA selections than Wade as well. He has changed the game globally and the way we look at players outside of the US.

Dirk's longevity would take him over Wade atm as well as his impact on the game. Wade is the better individual talent IMO but Dirk has had the greater impact in his career.

Gibby23
05-04-2012, 11:13 AM

That is also something that has been on Kobe's side. Being able to stay healthy and always being on top of his injuries. He had his knee worked on so many times but he always came back and didn't miss much time due to his injuries. He has been lucky to outlast alot of the player his age. The NBA could have had some great careers in Hill, TMac, and Penny if they never got hurt. Kobe has played a long time and does a great job taking care of his body and injuries.

fadedmario
05-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Charlie Villanueva

shep33
05-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Duncan and Kobe easily

bagwell368
05-04-2012, 11:34 AM

KG is the best player in Twolves history and given his current fountain of youth keeps going, he'll up in the top 7 players in NBA history well ahead of Duncan (per WS) - and no worse than #2 PF behind Duncan in other measures. Boston doesn't come near that title w/o him.

eibbor
05-04-2012, 11:59 AM

Game set,match Kobe owns the Lakers and owns L.A.
Is he as beloved as magic? No but the guy gets it done in his own way.

Duncan,and Dirk deserve there's as well.

I'm not saying he won't get a statue, but Kobe doesn't hold even CLOSE to every Lakers record. Hell, he only has a couple of season team records. He definitely has every attempt record though.

He does hold a lot of their team records, but it's like people forget who used to play there and what they were able to do... Baylor, Abdul-Jabbar, Magic and the list goes on.

celtNYpatsHeels
05-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Duncan and Kobe only...... Dirk if he can get another ring, Nash if he had a ring.

I'd like to say Pierce, but the Celtics have a few players in their history that may deserve the honor over him.

Kidd and Garnett deserve them, but where would the statues go?

AntiG
05-04-2012, 12:27 PM

Pierce is a top 10 Celtic with an argument for top 5, but not the best player in franchise history by any stretch.

Russell and Bird are the clearcut 1-2.

Celticsfan2007
05-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Where do you see KG Getting a statue :confused:

Minny.

I know once he got traded he said some bad things about their management, but he's still the best player that franchise has ever had.

naps
05-04-2012, 12:39 PM

+ He orchestrated the "Big Three" and thus completely revolutionized the South Florida sports. He was man behind the scene.

Wade and Duncan will get one for each before any other current player.

kdspurman
05-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Minny.

I know once he got traded he said some bad things about their management, but he's still the best player that franchise has ever had.

I get that he's their best player, but I don't think he's statue worthy there. Had he brought them a championship it'd be different. But I just don't see it.

Swashcuff
05-04-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm not saying he won't get a statue, but Kobe doesn't hold even CLOSE to every Lakers record. Hell, he only has a couple of season team records. He definitely has every attempt record though.

He does hold a lot of their team records, but it's like people forget who used to play there and what they were able to do... Baylor, Abdul-Jabbar, Magic and the list goes on.

Kobe is the Lakers All Time Leader in Points, FGs, 3FGs, Games Played and next season he'd hold the record for most WS and Steals as he's just a game or so away from doing so. He's also top 5 in rebounds and assists as well.

Now lets add to that that he has more All NBA selections than any other Laker, more All Team D selections than any other Laker. The list can go on and on as the list of Kobe's accolades are longer than that of any current player in the league and any player to ever wear a Laker uniform.

Baylor never won a title in LA. Much of Kareem's prime wasn't even spent with the Lakers, Magic well he's Magic same as West and Shaq doesn't boast of the kind of longevity as some of the others. Kobe has surpassed almost every other Laker (outside of Magic for me) in terms of legacy with that franchise.

JasonJohnHorn
05-04-2012, 04:47 PM
I'd say Duncan... Kobe has won a lot of rings and has been a Laker for life, but lets face, the Lakers have a LOT of people who are statue worthy... Magic, Kareem, West. Perhaps Shaq... how many statues can they fit outside of that building.... lol... plus the Clippers share the same building, and I bet they don't want Lakers players put up all over the place... lol.

STA_PLAR
05-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Arguing against KOBE and DUNCAN is plain stupid!

NoahH
05-04-2012, 05:55 PM
LeBron should get a statue in Cleveland

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-04-2012, 06:09 PM
I only want Kobe's statue after we put a statue up of Kareem and Shaq. Them first, then Kobe.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-04-2012, 06:09 PM
LeBron should get a statue in Cleveland

:laugh2:

So that the fans can burn it down?

I think Big Z or even Mark Price have a better chance of getting a statue outside of Cleveland than LOLebron.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-04-2012, 06:16 PM
I'd say Duncan... Kobe has won a lot of rings and has been a Laker for life, but lets face, the Lakers have a LOT of people who are statue worthy... Magic, Kareem, West. Perhaps Shaq... how many statues can they fit outside of that building.... lol... plus the Clippers share the same building, and I bet they don't want Lakers players put up all over the place... lol.

Technically, if we're talking about the Staples Center building, then only Shaq and Kobe right now deserve a statue. Shaq & Kobe built Staples and then Kobe kept the lights on.

Magic and Kareem should have theirs outside of the Great Western Forum (now just The Forum) in Inglewood, CA.

Jerry West outside of the LA Sports Arena near USC.

However, we've made the Staples Center building a tribute to all the Laker greats. So far we have Magic and West. Kareem is confirmed next year.

Both Shaq & Kobe are automatics.

SteveNash
05-04-2012, 06:28 PM

And Pippen has a statue.

Kobe and Duncan. Where the hell would a KG statue go?

Minnesota right next to the Mikan's, the one in the building that houses a team Mikan never played for.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Looking at the poster above me (lol)

I do believe Nash as well as Charles (don't know if he has one) should both have their statues in PHX, and Dirk should have a statue in Dallas for his longevity with that organization and brining their only title in franchise history.

Rivera
05-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Duncan
Kobe

Pierce will never get a statue especially since boston doesnt hae one of bird or russel

I got one more for you but its veryyy early in his career
Kevin Durant (new franchise no history and hes bawse)

Other than that no one else...id doubt wade would get one maybe a "big 3" statue if they stay a while and win 3 or more chips

IceMan360
05-04-2012, 06:42 PM
kobe and Duncan for sure thats about it

championships
05-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Duncan and Dirk

To answer the thread it Duncan and Kobe

To answer these quotes
Magic and West already have statues with reports of Kareem possibly getting one by next year.

SundaeBest
05-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Duncan and Dirk

Kobe is the most accomplished all-time Laker ever. He is also the #1 or #2 greatest Laker ever depending on who you talk to.....and the other guy already has a statue.... You really are silly if you think he's not getting one.

championships
05-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Shaq will get his jersey hung from the Rafters but he won't get a statue because of the stink he made when he left. I remember he talked all kinds of trash.

SundaeBest
05-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Kobe
Garnett
Duncan
Dirk

Dunno about Garnett....correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe he spent half his career on another team and achieved half his accolades while donning a Twolves uniform....As much as I dislike the Celts, they have a rich history with plenty of great players I don't think they need to shell out space for a Garnette statue....imo

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-04-2012, 06:51 PM
+ He orchestrated the "Big Three" and thus completely revolutionized the South Florida sports. He was man behind the scene.

Wade and Duncan will get one for each before any other current player.

Shaq coming to Miami in 2004 "started" the revolutionizing of South Florida sports.

I think he had a much more heart-felt welcoming by the city and community and something that the entire NBA really thought was nice. I still remember the scene when he and Shaunie got out of the limo and he had a watergun and was squirting at the fans.

Without Shaq, let's be real, Wade wouldn't have won that first title. Shaq taught D-Wade how to be a winner. The experience he got from his ups and downs with Kobe, he used that to drive D-Wade, who got the chip and finals MVP in '06.

Before, Miami had guys like Zo and Tim Hardaway.

It wasn't until Shaq came where people regarded the city of Miami and the Heat organization as an organization with "stars of stars, the superstars". Not many franchises are defined by superstardom, but Shaq coming in 2004 started that trend, and then eventually 6 yrs later, 2 other former franchise players and superstars in James and Bosh continued that new superstardom trend when they joined Miami in 2010.

So if Wade gets a statue, I'm a very strong believer that Shaq should have a statue. Without Shaq, there is no appreciation and a birth of a superstar championship player in D-Wade. Wade got the most of his respect as a superstar in this league when he was with Shaq (especially during that time in the NBA in the mid-2000s when the world hated Kobe for 'ousting Shaq out of LA'). That's when NBA fans started appreciating this new up and comer and new champion named Dwyane Wade. He got a lot of notoriety to begin his career just by playing with one of the 10 greatest players to lace em up, Shaq.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Shaq will get his jersey hung from the Rafters but he won't get a statue because of the stink he made when he left. I remember he talked all kinds of trash.

Shaq and Dr. Buss are now on good terms. They don't have any personal stuff between them.

Staples Center will be a fraud if you don't have statues of the 2 guys who built that building by winning titles the very minutes the building opened in Downtown LA in 1999-2000, Shaquille O'Neal & Kobe Bryant.

championships
05-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Shaq and Dr. Buss are now on good terms. They don't have any personal stuff between them.

Staples Center will be a fraud if you don't have statues of the 2 guys who built that building by winning titles the very minutes the building opened in Downtown LA in 1999-2000, Shaquille O'Neal & Kobe Bryant.

"I'm just happy to be in a REAL city (Miami) with a REAL owner. LA was a REAL REAL fake city"

Just one of the many disses he put on the fans, the owner, and the city. There are even disses towards coach Jackson........

No STATUE!

LongIslandIcedZ
05-04-2012, 06:59 PM

lol I wasnt aware, thank you.

What I mean is if guys like Magic/Kareem/Shaq/West dont have statues I dont see Kobe getting one.

It wasnt a shot at Kobe, he's like my favorite player.

ManRam
05-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Magic has a statue outside the Staples Center. Along with Oscar De La Hoya actually. Wonder where they would put Kobe if they give him one.

As an earlier poster said, Kobe doesn't deserve one if no other Laker has one. But if Magic does, then Kobe should get one too (get Kareem one while you're at it..and perhaps before Kobe)

Duncan for sure should and probably will get one.

Dirk probably, because I feel like that's something Cuban would be all for doing.

If KG got one, it would be Minny before Boston. Not sure if the people mentioning KD are mentioning it for Boston or Minny...but it took the Celtics FOREVER to get Russell his statue. With that being the case, I'd imagine KD has about a 0.001% chance of getting one.

Wade? Perhaps.

After that...I don't know. If LeBron gets 5-6 with Miami, then he should get one with Wade. Otherwise, not sure anyone else deserves one.

If Nash for some odd reason closes out his career in PHX, they should reward him with one.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-04-2012, 07:01 PM
"I'm just happy to be in a REAL city (Miami) with a REAL owner. LA was a REAL REAL fake city"

Just one of the many disses he put on the fans, the owner, and the fans. There are even disses towards coach Jackson........

No STATUE!

It was a moment of spur, he didn't really mean it. The guy was indeed a chief marketing guru to stir up ****. He was just really sore at the time, but the guy has said some really wonderful things about the organization in his new book that came out last November.

Let's be real, Shaq taught Kobe how to win and he made Kobe appreciate what he has now in Bynum and Gasol, because you need a 1-2 punch (littleman-bigman duo) to win multiple titles (04 Pistons and MJ were the only exception to that rule).

Shaq has even said that when he enters the HOF, he's entering as a Laker.

SteveNash
05-04-2012, 07:03 PM

What I mean is if guys like Magic/Kareem/Shaq/West dont have statues I dont see Kobe getting one.

They do.

SundaeBest
05-04-2012, 07:06 PM

Uhh....most great players have had great supporting casts, and definitely EVERY superstar in the modern era has had great teammates.....also, as it's been said, where would wade be w/o Shaq? Not in this thread.

LongIslandIcedZ
05-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Kobe is the most accomplished all-time Laker ever. He is also the #1 or #2 greatest Laker ever depending on who you talk to.....and the other guy already has a statue.... You really are silly if you think he's not getting one.

Again.. I didnt say I dont think he is getting one.

What I meant was if guys like Magic/Kareem/West dont have a statue I dont think Kobe will. I have never been to Staples Center, I wasnt sure if the past greats had statues. Based on merit alone, I'm sure Kobe will get one, I just wasnt sure.

championships
05-04-2012, 07:13 PM

Dude!!! How many times do people have to quote you???

West and Magic have statues with Kareem coming next year

ThunderousDemon
05-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Maybe kobe, but what about magic, kareem etc etc.. MJ got it yes, but before him there were no great Bulls with so many accomplishments.

Magic already has one and Kareem is getting one this year or the next

faze38
05-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Duncan and Dirk

Magic has one so Kobe def gets 1. Duncan, Dirk, Pierce and Nash all deserve one. Wade will deserve one in a year or two after he collects his second finals mvp.

SundaeBest
05-04-2012, 07:20 PM
True, but Shaq's impact in Miami wasn't nearly as great as in L.A. to the point where you just slot any other perennial all star guard in place of the 3 peat Kobe and become instant Finals contenders.

If Shaq was so good and Kobe just a cog-piece, then why did Shaq never win with Penny, and why only once with Miami before things went terribly sour? Shaq and Kobe were a tandem, Kobe made Shaq every bit as great as Shaq made him. You can argue as much as you want, but you'll end up on the short end of the stick...Kobe has already won twice without Shaq to prove he can win without him; (with a NON-dominant player in Gasol [albeit very good and skilled], and with an injured and relatively un-impactful Bynum).

And to play devils advocate, lets take the reverse of your argument; you take Kobe in his prime and give him an all-star post presence and the Lakers become instant Finals contenders....Oh wait, unlike your argument mine can be proven, cause it's already happened.

SundaeBest
05-04-2012, 07:24 PM
The funny part is that those other guys -- with the exception of Duncan -- had they been Lakers, wouldn't rate as highly at this point of their careers as some of the other Laker greats, and at least in terms of fan appreciation, not as high as Kobe either.

Magic has a statue, but IMO no one else should get a statue before Kareem does. Kobe is statue worthy, since he played his entire career with the Lakers at this point and had a hand in 5 Laker titles, 7 Lakers Finals appearances, owns just about every significant Lakers record, and depending on who you talk to will likely end his career as a top 10 All-Time NBA player. Statue worthy.

The OP mentioned players, but if I'm a Spurs fan, I'm setting up donations for two statues: one for Duncan and the other for Coach Popovich. One taught playing the game of basketball the right way, while the other played it the right way. Hell, why wait, they should rename the arena "Greg Popovch Center" now.

I grew up hating your spurs and going back and forth in the playoffs with you guys...but when they do take up collections for those statues count me in....I always liked Duncan, and admired Pop when he wasn't complaining about the Lakers :D

SundaeBest
05-04-2012, 07:31 PM
KG is the best player in Twolves history and given his current fountain of youth keeps going, he'll up in the top 7 players in NBA history well ahead of Duncan (per WS) - and no worse than #2 PF behind Duncan in other measures. Boston doesn't come near that title w/o him.

True...but those are more career accolades than team accolades....maybe it's done different in beantown, but I always thought that a statue was done because of what you did with a team and for the team.... not career achievemnts he spent earning on another team before comign to Boston

And I would think that there is a looooong list of other Celtics more worthy of a statue than Garnette....you could argue the same about Kobe, but I'll say this; when you look at the history of the Lakers and all the greats, nearly EVERY person educated/non-educated will answer Kobe is either #1 or #2 Laker of all time...can the same be said about Garnette and the Celts?

championships
05-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Statues currently outside Staples:
Magic
West
Chic Hearn
De La Hoya

SundaeBest
05-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Again.. I didnt say I dont think he is getting one.

What I meant was if guys like Magic/Kareem/West dont have a statue I dont think Kobe will. I have never been to Staples Center, I wasnt sure if the past greats had statues. Based on merit alone, I'm sure Kobe will get one, I just wasnt sure.

Fair enough....but yeah, Magic and West have theirs already. Kareem's is scheduled for next year. As for Shaq, NO WAY he deserves one before Kobe if at all!

- Kobe and Shaq shared the 3 ships
- Kobe has 2 more he won w/o Shaq
- Life-long Laker
- More team/career accolades
- Didn't leave the team in an unsavory fashion

Mcdoh
05-04-2012, 07:55 PM
kobe will get his.. and dirk maybe since he did bring home a championship trophy in dallas..