PDA

View Full Version : It's time to talk about KAHWI LEONARD

JayW_1023
05-04-2012, 07:12 AM
I know when it comes to rookie on the ball defenders, Iman Shumpert gets a lot of credit (and rightfully so, since he was a feisty defender whose game I really like).

But c'mon we need to give Kahwi Leonard some credit here, because it is due. This kid is developing more into a legitimate two way threat. Any doubts of him having rookie jitters in the postseason have been erased.

Let's break down his game: this kid is 6'8, and has a wingspan wider than Andrew Bynums, can hit the three and take it to the basket. He is amazingly active as both a help defender and on the ball the defender.

He reminds me most of Tayshaun Prince now. A great glue guy who plays with amazing composure and poise. But can he become even better than Prince? What is his ceiling?

Iron24th
05-04-2012, 07:16 AM
He has talent for sure.
Could be very good if he has the opportunity and work ethic.

BirdIsTheWord
05-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Certainly helps being drafted by the Spurs.

I haven't seen enough of his play to make a fair assessment but from what I have seen, and agree with you on, is that he can become a great glue guy/solid starting caliber player.

Antwerp_nr1
05-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Great pick by the spurs looking at his stats, didn't see many spurs games this year. So I can't really form an opinion on him just yet.

Hawkeye15
05-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Shumpert is the more talented defender imo, but with Leonard coming to a team with an expected defensive culture and great coaches and teammates to help him along, he is looking great on that side of the ball, which is something Iman did not have. I thought Leonard would be a player, but didn't expect him to be this good this early. Perfect fit for the Spurs.

thekmp211
05-04-2012, 08:46 AM
glad he worked out those early kinks, i knew when the spurs got him that he'd be a stud for them eventually, although i too am a bit surprised at how much he has improved in this shortened season. he was a great sleeper prospect in college, and the perfect kind of player to put alongside pop, tim and the boys.

defense wise, shumpert has been better this year. kawhi struggled earlier this year on that end. but he has the higher overall ceiling for sure.

LakersIn5
05-04-2012, 08:54 AM
im already giving him credit. got to be rookie 1st team.

b@llhog24
05-04-2012, 09:15 AM
glad he worked out those early kinks, i knew when the spurs got him that he'd be a stud for them eventually, although i too am a bit surprised at how much he has improved in this shortened season. he was a great sleeper prospect in college, and the perfect kind of player to put alongside pop, tim and the boys.

defense wise, shumpert has been better this year. kawhi struggled earlier this year on that end. but he has the higher overall ceiling for sure.

I think Shump will be able to lock his indiviual man up better but Leonard will probably be more versatile.

SeoulBeatz
05-04-2012, 09:18 AM
He looked very solid/active when I was watching the Spurs 2nd game.

Lot's of good, young, defensive-minded players coming into the league now.

Leonard, Shump, Bradley to name a few.

beasted86
05-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Just another example of how smart Spurs management is.

A lot of people were scratching their head when they saw them trade away George Hill who had been so good for them to move up to take Leonard. But they were right on. Wing defense was a bigger need than a backup PG who plays behind as good of a starter as Tony Parker who will get 32+ minutes.

thekmp211
05-04-2012, 09:23 AM
I think Shump will be able to lock his indiviual man up better but Leonard will probably be more versatile.

maybe, i was more referring to overall game and impact. i agree that shump will probably end up being a better pure defender as it's going to be the way he really sticks in the league.

Patman
05-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Shumpert is the more talented defender imo, but with Leonard coming to a team with an expected defensive culture and great coaches and teammates to help him along, he is looking great on that side of the ball, which is something Iman did not have. I thought Leonard would be a player, but didn't expect him to be this good this early. Perfect fit for the Spurs.

I would agree that Shumpert is the better (on ball) defender at the moment. But I honestly think Leonard could have the higher ceiling, Big, athletic, huge wingspan. Leonard still gambles a bit to much and is out of position some times. His offensive game really impressed me over the course of the season, his corner 3 is already greatly improved and he can drive to the hoop and seldom seems to be out of control or playing over his head.

Hawkeye15
05-04-2012, 10:10 AM
I would agree that Shumpert is the better (on ball) defender at the moment. But I honestly think Leonard could have the higher ceiling, Big, athletic, huge wingspan. Leonard still gambles a bit to much and is out of position some times. His offensive game really impressed me over the course of the season, his corner 3 is already greatly improved and he can drive to the hoop and seldom seems to be out of control or playing over his head.

flip them. Are we not talking about how awesome a defender Shumpert is with the Spurs defenders around him?

I personally don't know, or care, which one has the higher ceiling, they haven't played long enough to show me much seperation. I watched both a handful of times this year, and Shumpert was more disruptive in the games I caught. That being said, if there is a team that will develop and get the most out of their guys, its San Antonio. So who knows.

Hawkeye15
05-04-2012, 10:11 AM
We do, and should to some degree, ALWAYS give the Spurs front office so much credit for finding diamonds in the rough. Has it ever occurred to anyone that part of it is how incredible the coaching staff is in San Antonio? They make players better than they would have been elsewhere in so many cases.

Joshtd1
05-04-2012, 10:33 AM
I actually think Leonard is more of a Luol Deng type of guy, or a Gerald Wallace type of guy. Wouldn't complain with either.

thekmp211
05-04-2012, 10:49 AM
I actually think Leonard is more of a Luol Deng type of guy, or a Gerald Wallace type of guy. Wouldn't complain with either.

this is the guy i've always envisioned him being like, and yeah that's a damn fine ceiling for a mid first round pick. love me some crash.

Jarvo
05-04-2012, 11:02 AM

Agree but I say Deng, Just let him get his feet wet deeper in the playoffs and mext season to get even better. Glad the Spurs took him.

Gibby23
05-04-2012, 11:06 AM
We do, and should to some degree, ALWAYS give the Spurs front office so much credit for finding diamonds in the rough. Has it ever occurred to anyone that part of it is how incredible the coaching staff is in San Antonio? They make players better than they would have been elsewhere in so many cases.

Hell ya! This dude couldn't shoot a college 3 and now is hitting an NBA 3 at a 38% clip.

Patman
05-04-2012, 12:21 PM
flip them. Are we not talking about how awesome a defender Shumpert is with the Spurs defenders around him?

I personally don't know, or care, which one has the higher ceiling, they haven't played long enough to show me much seperation. I watched both a handful of times this year, and Shumpert was more disruptive in the games I caught. That being said, if there is a team that will develop and get the most out of their guys, its San Antonio. So who knows.

On the other hand, going by DRTG the Knicks where actually the better Defensive Team then the Spurs. It's not like the spurs had a really good Perimeter defender on the roster before the Trading deadline. But Leonard surely profited from the Spurs coaching staff and system. What i really like about Leonard and Green for that matter, they give the Spurs length on the Perimeter and are making entry passes to the post hard.

For your other Post, yeah the Coaching staff of the Spurs is incredible, their player development is great, just look at the draft position of most their rotation players. But the front office does a good job backing the coaching staff and I think the scouts are good at identifying guys that are a fit for the System and culture. Chip England seems to be a great shooting coach, on the other hand the spurs seem to sign players that are willing to put in the work to improve, Leonard put in tremendous work to improve his shot like that. It also helps to have a great Big, that is unselfish and puts in the work.

Hawkeye15
05-04-2012, 12:24 PM
On the other hand, going by DRTG the Knicks where actually the better Defensive Team then the Spurs. It's not like the spurs had a really good Perimeter defender on the roster before the Trading deadline. But Leonard surely profited from the Spurs coaching staff and system. What i really like about Leonard and Green for that matter, they give the Spurs length on the Perimeter and are making entry passes to the post hard.

For your other Post, yeah the Coaching staff of the Spurs is incredible, their player development is great, just look at the draft position of most their rotation players. But the front office does a good job backing the coaching staff and I think the scouts are good at identifying guys that are a fit for the System and culture. Chip England seems to be a great shooting coach, on the other hand the spurs seem to sign players that are willing to put in the work to improve, Leonard put in tremendous work to improve his shot like that. It also helps to have a great Big, that is unselfish and puts in the work.

I agree with basically all of this. And yep, that is what I mean about the Spurs staff.

IndyRealist
05-04-2012, 01:24 PM
If it's a comparison, Kawhi is a better two way player than Iman Shumpert, and is a fantastic rebounder for a SF. I like the comparison to Gerald Wallace, although in his rookie year Leonard is a better outside shooter than Wallace. It's amazing how many starting quality players came mid-late first round out of a supposedly weak draft. It's about time to acknowledge that most GM's simply don't know what they're doing.

Chronz
05-04-2012, 01:33 PM
If any other team trades away Hill for some rookie Im going to wonder if they got their heads on straight, Ive learned to stop doubting the Spurs. Them and the Rox have a great eye for diamonds in the rough

Giraffes Rule
05-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Hell ya! This dude couldn't shoot a college 3 and now is hitting an NBA 3 at a 38% clip.

That's Chip Engelland's influence, but Leonard also put in a ton of work on his own. Before the draft Engelland identified Leonard as a guy that just needed a little tweak to his shot, and he told Leonard what to do in that brief time around the draft where coaches were allowed contact with players. The rest was all Leonard. I read an article during the lockout that said he was practicing in San Diego on his shot so early that he brought his own lamp to the gym because they hadn't turned the lights on yet. Dude just wants to work hard and play basketball.

If any other team trades away Hill for some rookie Im going to wonder if they got their heads on straight, Ive learned to stop doubting the Spurs. Them and the Rox have a great eye for diamonds in the rough

I was into the trade at first. A little disappointed to see Hill go, but I liked the idea of getting a young defensive wing for the future. Then Leonard started playing and it's clear now that the Pacers got absolutely took in this trade. George Hill is gonna get paid after this season, and the Spurs got 2 overseas players out of the deal as well? Pretty good work by the Spurs.

Randy West
05-04-2012, 02:25 PM
This makes the Kings look even dumber for taking Jimmer while Kahwi was still on the board and you had a need for a good three that would become a great three imo

kdspurman
05-04-2012, 02:26 PM
That's Chip Engelland's influence, but Leonard also put in a ton of work on his own. Before the draft Engelland identified Leonard as a guy that just needed a little tweak to his shot, and he told Leonard what to do in that brief time around the draft where coaches were allowed contact with players. The rest was all Leonard. I read an article during the lockout that said he was practicing in San Diego on his shot so early that he brought his own lamp to the gym because they hadn't turned the lights on yet. Dude just wants to work hard and play basketball.

I was into the trade at first. A little disappointed to see Hill go, but I liked the idea of getting a young defensive wing for the future. Then Leonard started playing and it's clear now that the Pacers got absolutely took in this trade. George Hill is gonna get paid after this season, and the Spurs got 2 overseas players out of the deal as well? Pretty good work by the Spurs.

I remember Kawhi early on, his shot was Very flat. It had really no arch on it what so ever. Now his form and release are much improved. I feel very confident when he shoots the ball especially from the corner.

b@llhog24
05-05-2012, 11:49 PM
This makes the Kings look even dumber for taking Jimmer while Kahwi was still on the board and you had a need for a good three that would become a great three imo

Kahwi Leonard on the Kings would probably be WAY different from Kahwi Leonard on the Spurs.

Catfish1314
05-05-2012, 11:52 PM

I haven't seen him all that much at this level, but he always reminded me of Wallace at SDSU. His rebounding impresses me more than his defense; same with Gerald.

JJ_JKidd
05-06-2012, 12:15 AM
He is gonna be the next big thing....

Happy?

:facepalm:

Tqafg96
05-06-2012, 12:42 AM
Maybe a very well rounded 6th man, possible starter maybe. I really like his game, high energy and doesn't give up on a play.

kdspurman
05-06-2012, 12:47 AM
He is gonna be the next big thing....

Happy?

:facepalm:

:confused: Bitter much?

kjoke
05-06-2012, 12:49 AM
I will always get him and Keneth Faried mixed up

IversonIsKrazy
05-06-2012, 02:17 AM
I was about to say the same thing as Joshtd1, he reminds me a lot of Luol Deng, and his comparison originally was Gerald Wallace. We'll see how he develops.