View Full Version : This years NBA champ deserves a footnote

Holydiver
05-03-2012, 02:39 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7883334/the-footnote-title

The Footnote Title
The Sports Guy ranks the 20 most fortunate breaks an NBA champion ever received
By Bill Simmons on May 3, 2012

PRINT

When Derrick Rose's knee injury ruined the spring of every Chicago fan, I tweeted that 2012 was suddenly an "asterisk title." The more I'm thinking about it, "footnote title" makes more sense. A basketball season always features collateral damage, whether it's injuries, lucky breaks or someone stupidly assaulting a fire extinguisher. Asterisks should be saved for fishier achievements like Bonds's 73 homers, Roger Clemens's last few Cy Youngs and Pia Zadora winning a Golden Globe. A "footnote title" respects the champion while also acknowledging that, "Look, SOMETHING funky happened and you can't discuss that postseason in detail without mentioning that one funky thing."

Of course, the ones usually applying that footnote are disgruntled fans of the team that "should have won." That's just the way sports work. For instance, my father still refuses to recognize the actual winner of the 1973 NBA title. It's been almost 40 years. He doesn't care.

"We had the best team that year," Dad says. "We won 68 games. Havlicek hurt his shoulder halfway through the Knicks series he played left-handed in the fifth game and the sixth game. In the seventh game, Frazier killed us. The Knicks beat the Lakers in the Finals. The wrong team won. We won two of the next three titles, but '73 was our best team."

I actually watched a DVD of Game 7 while researching my NBA book. Even though it was the climactic game of the Eastern Finals, the game wasn't televised nationally; a soundless tape from a center court camera is the league's only copy. With Havlicek playing one-handed (he finished with just four points) and the Knicks smelling victory, Frazier started methodically backing down Boston's guards and draining 20-footers. He didn't just quiet the Boston Garden crowd; I think he actually silenced that one camera and fried its audio. The Knicks won by 16. It's hard to believe anyone would have beaten Frazier that day.

Just don't tell my father this. That's what makes us fans. We make excuses when we lose; we overlook those same excuses when we win. The '74 Celtics won a hard-fought Finals over Kareem's Milwaukee Bucks partially because Lucius Allen (Milwaukee's fastest guard) ripped up his knee stepping on a discarded warm-up jacket. A creaky '76 Celtics team cranked out one last championship mainly because that season's best team imploded the previous round (we'll get to that). My father raised me to forget both of these things. But Havlicek's bum shoulder? That year, we should have won.

"He's not wrong," says Bob Ryan, the unofficial commissioner of the NBA, as well as someone who covered the '73 Celtics for the Boston Globe. "They were 4-0 against the Lakers that year. Cowens killed Wilt, he was too fast for him. Wilt was too old at that point. You can look it up, I think Cowens averaged 31 and 19 against him that year.1 But Havlicek got hurt and [thinking] yeah, I'd put a footnote next to that one."

Over the next few minutes, Ryan and I started debating the biggest footnote titles in NBA history. That's when I realized something COLUMN! Where will 2012's eventual winner of a Rose-less playoffs rank among the 20 biggest footnote titles in NBA history? We're ranking them from "tiny footnote" to "large and undeniably pulsating footnote."

9. 2012 Champ X
What Happened: We don't know yet.

The Footnote: Rose's knee injury combined with a condensed 66-game schedule made this postseason more of a war of attrition than anything that's why I didn't even bother making a real Finals pick in Friday's playoff preview. What's the point? It's coming down to The Last Two Relatively Healthy Teams Standing.

The Verdict: If Miami rips through the East, eviscerates the Celtics/Bulls and leaves little doubt on its way to the first title of the "Not One, Not Two, Not Three, Not Four " era, then the combined impact of Rose's injury and the brutal schedule will fade over time. But if it turns into one of those "Man, if the Bulls had Rose, they definitely would have beaten Miami" situations? Much bigger footnote. Stay tuned. We'll stick 2012 at no. 9 to be safe.

ugafan
05-03-2012, 02:41 PM
No. Absolutely not.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Hah, we had a thread on this exact same topic a few days ago when DRose got injured.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=715826

mjm07
05-03-2012, 02:52 PM
No. Absolutely not.

This.

/Thread

Gators123
05-03-2012, 02:54 PM
No. Absolutely not.

This

torocan
05-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Playoff/championship series should not have footnotes unless there's something catastrophically game altering that is NOT related to the level of play.

Compressed season deserves a foot note.
A bench clearing brawl that results in massive suspensions deserves a footnote (Suns anyone?).
Confirmation of Referee tampering deserves a footnote (like we'll ever see that from the NBA).

Other than that, injuries suck, but injuries play no favorites. It sucks that this season resulted in ridiculous numbers of injuries. However, it is what it is.

This years winner will most likely be the healthiest contending team left standing. Not the best way for the play offs to go, but nothing they can do about it now.

KaganRS
05-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Not a chance.

eibbor
05-03-2012, 02:59 PM
No way. Whoever wins is gonna earn it

5ass
05-03-2012, 03:02 PM
no

TheNumber37
05-03-2012, 03:03 PM
I agree, but only if the Heat win.

Hawkeye15
05-03-2012, 03:06 PM
we had a thread on this. While I find the article entertaining, no championship should have an asterik next to it. Its the team that was on top at the end of the season, and every team plays under the same conditions every year. Injuries are part of the game, in any sport. In fact, they have determined many championships in many sports. That is why its called competition.

Meatmypet
05-03-2012, 03:08 PM
I agree, but only if the Heat win.

+1
Took the words right out of my mind.

tcav701
05-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Not just Rose but Dwight, possibly Ray Allen, Horford, Lin....

Whoever wins the East got a very easy path, not much different than the Pats in the AFC last year.

Not that there should be a footnote, but they should be thankful.

justinnum1
05-03-2012, 03:14 PM
:facepalm:

Bulls had a slim chance with rose.

JC_
05-03-2012, 03:17 PM
The only thing a footnote should say is "shortened season". Rose missed like half of it and his team lost to Miami last year in 5 games. Miami sat their big 3 for like the last 2 weeks of the season to try and keep them healthy. If they stay healthy and win, I think that will be a big reason why.

Blitzbolt
05-03-2012, 03:19 PM
I think we should praise the winner even more winning with this brutal schedule.

justinnum1
05-03-2012, 03:22 PM
I think we should praise the winner even more winning with this brutal schedule.

I agree

naps
05-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Heat ****ed through the east last year and this year it would be even more easy with the addition of Battier, Miller, and Haslem.

GTFO with those BS you punkass Bill ****ing Simmons. This guys has been an embarrassment to life itself with his moronic ideas. The only reason he wrote this **** is because he hates the Heat with passion. What do you expect from someone who says "It pains me to say but Miami will win it all this year." So yeah, take for what its worth.

Cfrey
05-03-2012, 03:27 PM
I like the sports guy but I'm disappointed with this article.

At the end of the season whoever wins is the champion.. you disregard injuries.. and you want to know why? lets say the Heat win this year well then they deserve it because they were in the best physical condition.. they outlasted other teams and players during a lockout season which is impressive in itself

its just sad people look to make excuses

utl768
05-03-2012, 03:29 PM
bill simmons life deserves a footnote

people from boston showing there intelligence once again

mRc08
05-03-2012, 03:35 PM
There is no way a footnote is deserved here for the injuries, thats part of the game and simply out of the control of whoever wins it all. However, with the shortened season I would put a footnote. I don't think that it takes away from the accomplishment of winning a title, but its worth noting IMO.

Overall Rose's injury is just unfortunate. If you the heat, or any team still in the playoffs for that matter, I believe you want the best talent out there. While many Heat fans may feel a sigh of relief knowing the Bulls are without rose, you can't tell me it wouldn't feel sweeter to beat them with a healthy bulls squad. That goes the same for every team. If lebron got hurt and the bulls were to beat them in a 7 game series, I would be happy, but I still wouldn't be totally satisifed knowing we beat them without there arguably best player. Thats just my opinion. A win is still a win, but having players out due to injury is just unfortunate.

Hoopsadvocate
05-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Wait a footnote for what?

Not like the magic had a damn chance at the finals. The bulls were at full strength last year and got rocked in 5 so its not like a team hasnt beat them at full strength already. Sounds like a big ol excuse to me sucks that it happened but injuries happen all the time and its up to the team and player to manage there body to limit injuries and play/not play. You can blame the player the med staff or even the coach for playing them but not the other team and u def cant take anything away from them. What do u want the rest of the team to break there own stars acls to make it even??

Get out of here.

justinnum1
05-03-2012, 03:45 PM
There is no way a footnote is deserved here for the injuries, thats part of the game and simply out of the control of whoever wins it all. However, with the shortened season I would put a footnote. I don't think that it takes away from the accomplishment of winning a title, but its worth noting IMO.

Overall Rose's injury is just unfortunate. If you the heat, or any team still in the playoffs for that matter, I believe you want the best talent out there. While many Heat fans may feel a sigh of relief knowing the Bulls are without rose, you can't tell me it wouldn't feel sweeter to beat them with a healthy bulls squad. That goes the same for every team. If lebron got hurt and the bulls were to beat them in a 7 game series, I would be happy, but I still wouldn't be totally satisifed knowing we beat them without there arguably best player. Thats just my opinion. A win is still a win, but having players out due to injury is just unfortunate.

Of course i want rose to play, i think miami would have won even with rose. Whoever comes out of the west will be very difficult to beat.

xnick5757
05-03-2012, 03:46 PM
bill simmons life deserves a footnote

people from boston showing their intelligence once again

ftfy

kdspurman
05-03-2012, 03:47 PM
It seems like all this stuff is happening in the eastern conference lol (knock on wood)

Pretty amazing the conference with the overall better competition is still relatively healthy. Regardless who comes out the east/west it's been a pretty gruesome schedule. Every team has the same obstacles. This years champion should certainly be praised more than anything

mRc08
05-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Of course i want rose to play, i think miami would have won even with rose. Whoever comes out of the west will be very difficult to beat.

Exactly. No body knows who would have won that series (assuming both teams were to reach the ECF), but now the heats are heavy favorites. I'm not saying the bulls win with rose, but it would be way more competitive, and a lot more fullfilling for both teams if both teams were healthy. Again, the idea of a footnote for injuries is just stupid. Whoever wins the title this year deserves as much credit/praise as anyother team to have ever won it.

smith&wesson
05-03-2012, 03:49 PM
yes drose was injured. but drose and these bulls never even made it to ecf's in the past few seasons. so why is it so important to remember that he was injured for the playoffs ? if im not mistaken he was injured a good amount of time during the season as well and his team still finished 1st in the east.

NoahH
05-03-2012, 03:51 PM
People are just preparing to discredit the HEAT championship when they win it this year. Haters.

mRc08
05-03-2012, 03:55 PM
People are just preparing to discredit the HEAT championship when they win it this year. Haters.

I can see where your coming from and this may be true through the media, but I think most NBA fans and PSD posters will agree that the heat cannot be discredited if they indeed win it all. Just looking through the thread most people agree that simmmons is wrong here.

justinnum1
05-03-2012, 04:01 PM
like i said, whoever comes out of the west is going to be tested and playing some fantastic ball.

Lakers + Giants
05-03-2012, 04:03 PM
LMFAO. Seems like people are already thinking of an excuse for when Lebron and the Heat become champs. Pathetic, this years champs are just as worthy as any other champions.

mRc08
05-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Yeah the notion that the ECF will be better than the Finals that was talked about last year is completely diminished.

gbrl
05-03-2012, 04:05 PM
meh, most of the contenders were out west anyway and the heat were most likely to come out the east also

THE MTL
05-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Unfortunately, injuries are a part of the game and yes Heat's path to the Finals is easy. NYC- no lin/shumpert/stat (1 game). BOS- no Allen. CHI- no Rose. ATL- no Horford. ORL- no Howard.

This is the Heat's year to win it all. If they dont win it, something is SERIOUSLY wrong. They are going to cripple the entire East.

But still they dont deserve an asterisk. No NBA champion deserves that. U still fought thru a season packed with games, then playoffs, and they managed to stay healthy.

Plus, they havent just been beating opponents. But they been destroying them and I would say even if NYC was healthy, Chi had Rose, ORL had Howard, etc etc. The Heat would still beat them all.

72 Wins
05-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Even as a Bulls fan, I really can't say we would have been able to come out of the East with Rose.

JC_
05-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Yeah the notion that the ECF will be better than the Finals that was talked about last year is completely diminished.

I don't think people were saying it would be better than the finals. A good series yes for sure but not better than the finals.

pebloemer
05-03-2012, 04:17 PM
As much as the context of any season/championship/"decision" matters; you can't fault the Heat for being healthy. And this article seems geared at the Heat...

But it is definitely quite a rough year in the East for injuries. Rose, Dwight, Amare, Horford, Lin, Allen. It create huge adversity for many traditional Eastern Conference Contenders. But isn't it also an indication of how hard it is to stay healthy in a season like this? If the Heat manage to do so, I credit them for it.

ChiSox219
05-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Bulls were going to cruise to the title but I don't really believe a footnote or * is necessary. If the Heat win people aren't going to give them credit anyway that should be enough.

justinnum1
05-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Bulls were going to cruise to the title but I don't really believe a footnote or * is necessary. If the Heat win people aren't going to give them credit anyway that should be enough.

:laugh:

ChiSox219
05-03-2012, 04:54 PM
:laugh:

too easy

Blitzbolt
05-03-2012, 05:06 PM
This is why you don't look at the regular season no one cares if your first or 8th.

If the heat or Spurs lose their best player they still have a shot at a ring no so much for others who need to be 100% to make it.

MTL_123
05-03-2012, 05:18 PM
LMFAO. Seems like people are already thinking of an excuse for when Lebron and the Heat become champs. Pathetic, this years champs are just as worthy as any other champions.

This

MTL_123
05-03-2012, 05:20 PM

Really?

Vincent
05-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Regardless what happens in the playoffs right now,

I think a lot of people will remember the condensed season and will remember the injuries to some big names.

Wade>You
05-03-2012, 06:24 PM
LMAO @ Simmons. This guy is a clown for suggesting that the Bulls were heavy favorites and now the title is "wide open" for anyone to win it because Rose went down with an injury. ****ing clown.

Iron24th
05-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Posted by a bulls fan will not help this thread...

Raps18-19 Champ
05-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Not really.

What if a West team wins? Rose's injury doesn't affect them. Even then, if an East team wins, that's because they beat the West team to do it.

smith&wesson
05-03-2012, 06:46 PM
on a side note it would be funny if the heat met the spurs in the finals and the spurs won. that would make it twice that lebron lost to the spurs in the finals.

also dallas another texas team beating them last year. is that reaching for irony ? maybe. lol

Max.This
05-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Spurs look really good. If they find a way to get to the finals and hold lebron and wade to 40-50 points its a tough series for theHEAT to win. On the topic, as much as I hate the HEAT, the league should not penalize teams for their hardwork except for the spurs cause their starters played minimal mins lol.

Bullsfan22
05-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Injuries are apart of the game. Every Championship team is usually the one of the healthiest.

Giraffes Rule
05-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Maybe we should put an asterisk next to last year's championship too. Spurs were the number one seed and their season fell apart with injuries to Duncan and Ginobili. Makes sense right?

Fnom11
05-03-2012, 10:53 PM
As the Heat begin to look stronger and stronger more threads will probably turn up trying to discredit this season.

kozelkid
05-04-2012, 01:15 AM

:rolleyes:

Regardless, there should be no footnote.

nickdymez
05-04-2012, 01:18 AM

Troll

iam brett favre
05-04-2012, 01:22 AM
It actually should get a *, but not because of the injury. That's ****ing stupid.
The shortened season does make it * worthy though.

Giraffes Rule
05-04-2012, 01:27 AM
It actually should get a *, but not because of the injury. That's ****ing stupid.
The shortened season does make it * worthy though.

Why?

theheatles
05-04-2012, 08:38 AM
I'll take the footnote over the asterisk

Patman
05-04-2012, 08:53 AM
I'd take any title, there will always be people complaining and crying, that someone was injured a game was unfairly called etc.

Maybe we could add a footnote to every single Title.

JordansBulls
05-04-2012, 08:54 AM
If this years team needs an asterick then what about a team that won 65 games and won it all but here was the competition or the teams they beat?

Nuggets: 37-45 - 1st Round
Warriors: 42-40 - Semifinals
Sonics: 39-43 - Conference Finals

LakersIn5
05-04-2012, 08:55 AM
even with a healthy rose, the heat are still going to win the east.

beasted86
05-04-2012, 09:28 AM
The real thread title should be "If the Miami HEAT is champ it" deserves a footnote.

Because if anyone beats Miami in the Finals it's going to be "give them credit, they beat the HEAT".
SMH @ PSD flawed logic. :pity:

natelpete
05-04-2012, 09:37 AM
No need for a footnote. Injuries happen every year and some say the more compact, 66 game schedule is tougher on players than a regular season. People are just looking for any reason to discount the Heat.

Mave1002
05-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Another season with an Asterisk* ;)

todu82
05-04-2012, 09:58 AM
No they should not. Whichever team wins the title this year will have played in 4 playoff rounds the same as every other champion in recent NBA history.

kdspurman
05-04-2012, 10:12 AM
The real thread title should be "If the Miami HEAT is champ it" deserves a footnote.

Because if anyone beats Miami in the Finals it's going to be "give them credit, they beat the HEAT".
SMH @ PSD flawed logic. :pity:

People say the Spurs title from 99 deserves an * so... And whoever wins this year I'm sure there will be talk still saying the same thing.

The best team always wins