PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard and Derrick Rose - Expectations for them when they return?

JordansBulls
05-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Dwight Howard and Derrick Rose - Expectations for them when they return from major injuries/surgeries?

Will they be as good as before? Will they still be able to get better than they were?

Obviously we have to wait to see how they play, but mainly what is your hunch as of now?

Stinkyoutsider
05-02-2012, 12:41 PM
For both, I think it's going to take a year after rehab for them to get back to being the top athletes they used to be. Howard did the right thing and got the back operation (Amare needs to go ahead and have the surgery as well).

I think Rose will have the harder time because he's a guy who's used to making all sorts of quick turns and moves to get to the basket. Even though Howard will be down in the post, I think Howard can ease himself back into shape because he's 6'11" and most of his competition aren't nearly as athletic as he is.

MagicHero3
05-02-2012, 12:45 PM
i wonder if dwights injury/surgery will limit him physically in the coming seasons? anyone know the history of past injuries and this surgery and the recovery progress?

naps
05-02-2012, 01:03 PM
I think Dwight will be just fine. Not too hopeful about Rose though. A player whose athleticism drives his game and whose game revolves around the basket making acrobatic athletic moves will have harder time adjusting than a post player. Not to mention knee injuries are the worst ones to deal with.

smith&wesson
05-02-2012, 01:12 PM
I think Dwight will be just fine. Not too hopeful about Rose though. A player whose athleticism drives his game and whose game revolves around the basket making acrobatic athletic moves will have harder time adjusting than a post player. Not to mention knee injuries are the worst ones to deal with.

howards game is also all athletiticm...

Sinestro
05-02-2012, 01:20 PM
I think they'll both be fine after about a year of their recovery

naps
05-02-2012, 01:36 PM
howards game is also all athletiticm...

YES, but no reckless move and flying all around the basket. Rose is an explosive player unlike Howard. Besides, post players tend to have lengthy careers for a reason unlike the athletic guards.

LA_Raiders
05-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Howard should be fine, Rose will take longer...

ball4reel
05-02-2012, 01:44 PM
For both, I think it's going to take a year after rehab for them to get back to being the top athletes they used to be. Howard did the right thing and got the back operation (Amare needs to go ahead and have the surgery as well).

I think Rose will have the harder time because he's a guy who's used to making all sorts of quick turns and moves to get to the basket. Even though Howard will be down in the post, I think Howard can ease himself back into shape because he's 6'11" and most of his competition aren't nearly as athletic as he is.

Stat and DH had two different Injuries, Thats why Stat didnt have the operation. :cool:

ball4reel
05-02-2012, 01:46 PM
I hope they both make it back 100%. I enjoy watching both or them play.

justinnum1
05-02-2012, 01:52 PM
I wouldnt expct much for them next season but the folowing sason, 2013, i expect both to be back to normal, i expect dwight to have a much more polished offesnive game.

Raph12
05-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Dwight's injury is a "herniated disc" in his lower back which for most people would just get better with rest. For some people, you need to have surgery (his was a micro-discectomy) done and within four months (current timetable for Dwight), you can go back to full contact and are expected to return to 100%. The only real risk of a herniated disc, is re-herniating it, which happens to about 10% of the patients who treat it with surgery... He'll be 100% again, it is to have no limitations on his game (in theory), but it is not guaranteed that it may never happen again.

Cfrey
05-02-2012, 02:09 PM
they will both be the two worst players in the league at their positions

Chronz
05-02-2012, 02:32 PM
i wonder if dwights injury/surgery will limit him physically in the coming seasons? anyone know the history of past injuries and this surgery and the recovery progress?

Tmac and Bird had back problems, they declined sharply but stayed relevant for a few years before cutting their careers short.

Raph12
05-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Tmac and Bird had back problems, they declined sharply but stayed relevant for a few years before cutting their careers short.

TMac had chronic back problems (spasms) and Bird also had chronic debilitating back problems; Dwight's injury is a herniated disc, very different from what guys like TMac and Bird had... It is extremely rare for anyone who had a discectomy for a herniated disc to develop chronic back problems, although there are very rare cases.

D12 fan
05-02-2012, 03:51 PM

Pippen came back 100% from his back surgery,then you have the guys who didn't get back healthy Larry Johnson,Baron Davis.Dwight is a beast though he should be back healthy next year by the start of the season I hope.

Dade County
05-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Howard and rose need each other ( I hope one of them see that one day )... lol

I think both will be fine... Howard might miss more games from year to year, but he will be their when it counts. Rose will push through this injury and play like normal, and I almost forgot Go HEAT!