PDA

View Full Version : Fun Article: Counterpart of Some NBA Players in WWE

JJ_JKidd
05-01-2012, 11:33 PM
Posted like a couple of days ago in which I said that the NBA is becoming more like WWE wherein ENTERTAINMENT comes FIRST before COMPETITION.

Now I stumbled upon this article, actually its a repost from the "Wrestling" forum on PSD, which names the NBA players counterparts in WWE. Its kinda fun lol.

LeBron James Is John Cena

Hey, basketball fans: You know that illicit charge you feel during every James fourth-quarter meltdown? And how when you see a kid in a no. 6 Heat jersey, you just shake your head and wonder what kind of parents would allow him to root for that idiot? And you know how, no matter how much you hate James, deep down you're glad that he's there, just to have somebody to boo? Welcome to pro wrestling fans' relationship with our flag-bearer, the face of WWE, John Cena.

This is an obvious one, and I've received about 100 tweets over the last six months that make the same comparison. No athletes but Cena and James hear such passionate, dueling boos and cheers in every arena they visit or inspire such fervent emotions in their fanatics and detractors. But they have more in common than just their hatability: They're both famous for a brand of charity work that makes soft-hearted supporters swoon and causes cynics to retch Cena with the Make-A-Wish Foundation (which provides WWE with an excuse not to turn Cena into a bad guy) and LeBron with the Boys & Girls Club (which gave him a flimsy excuse for airing The Decision on national television). They're both proud of their hometowns LeBron of Akron, Ohio, and Cena of West Newbury, Massachusetts (but, if crowd reaction is any indication, they also are roundly despised there).

Dwight Howard Is Mark Henry

I know, I know. You're going to say I'm saddling Dwight with Henry's mediocre career. But that's the point especially with Dwight's recent "back issues," coach-killing, and flip-flopping about his future in Orlando, the first word that comes to mind with either of them has to be "disappointment," right? And really, as much as the NBA hype machine has aided Dwight's career, imagine if ESPN covered WWE like they do the NBA. You can bet Skip Bayless would have been arguing about Henry, the 500-pound Olympic weightlifter, every morning for the past 10 years. And look at their similarities: Both Dwight and Henry are big, monstrous, force-of-nature performers. Both have dominant but inadequate repertoires, limited to forceful versions of very basic moves, like Dwight's dunks and Henry's body slams. Dwight tried to get his coach fired; Henry got suspended for attacking Smackdown GM Teddy Long. And, despite their brutish physiques, both men are wannabe artistes Dwight wants to be an actor, while Henry has always fancied himself a poet.

Carmelo Anthony Is Triple H

Both guys jumped from smaller markets to be the biggest star on the biggest stage. Along the way, both guys seemed to think they deserved more glory than they were getting. Both guys married public figures (Melo wed LaLa and Triple H said his vows to Stephanie McMahon). They each have reputations for being selfish and egotistic, and for holding others (like Lin and Chris Jericho) down to maintain their place at the top of the food chain. Because of this, they're both hated by a huge swath of the fan base, to the point that it clouds how great they actually are. Melo and Triple H can do many things better than almost all their peers, which is why it's so frustrating that their "characters" are all people talk about. Eventually, they'll both go into the Hall of Fame, and we'll probably forget how they were so unpopular that they were underrated for the second halves of their careers. Hey, you know who else is hated? He's coming up next.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7861414/david-stern-vince-mcmahon-lebron-james-john-cena-wwe-guide-nba#footnote1

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Kobe's like a hybrid of Bret the Hitman Hart and Stone Cold Steve Austin.

He's excellently executes everything, always tries to be the best there is, was and ever will be.

He's like Stone Cold in that he's just a badass, he doesn't give a **** if you like him or not, and he's a Stone Cold blooded killa! He likes to to play the role of the bad guy more so than the kiss *** trying to please everyone hero.

I just don't see Kobe is Ric Flair, with the exception that Flair is a 16-time World Champion, the most winningest champion in wrestling while Kobe wants to keep winning championships. BUt that's it.

Method28
05-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Kobe's like a hybrid of Bret the Hitman Hart and Stone Cold Steve Austin.

He's excellently executes everything, always tries to be the best there is, was and ever will be.

He's like Stone Cold in that he's just a badass, he doesn't give a **** if you like him or not, and he's a Stone Cold blooded killa! He likes to to play the role of the bad guy more so than the kiss *** trying to please everyone hero.

I just don't see Kobe is Ric Flair, with the exception that Flair is a 16-time World Champion, the most winningest champion in wrestling while Kobe wants to keep winning championships. BUt that's it.

Sorry but Kobe's sorry efficiency does not = The Hitman. Its all about execution man.

GunFactor187
05-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Here are my comparisons:

John Cena - LeBron James
CM Punk - Kevin Durant
Daniel Bryan - Jeremy Lin
Chris Jericho - Dwyane Wade
Randy Orton - Carmelo Anthony
The Undertaker - Tim Duncan
Triple H - Kevin Garnett
The Rock - Kobe Bryant
Stone Cold Steve Austin - Michael Jordan
Ric Flair - Larry Bird
Hulk Hogan - Magic Johnson

lakerboy
05-02-2012, 12:07 AM
Chris Bosh - Terry Wilson

Cracka2HI!
05-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Kobe is like Jeff Hardy. Possibly the most talented person, but also has to be known for making terrible mistakes and ultimately just being a terrible human being.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Sorry but Kobe's sorry efficiency does not = The Hitman. Its all about execution man.

Fair enough. I guess he's more like Austin. Kobe 3:16!!! :laugh2:

meloman1592
05-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Lol nice article

Mr_Amaziing
05-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Kendrick Perkins = Kane

LAKERMANIA
05-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Stone Cold Steve Austin is MJ

GunFactor187
05-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Kendrick Perkins = Kane

Nice one! :clap:

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Ronny Turiaf = Brodus Clay

LakersIn5
05-02-2012, 12:42 AM
magic johnson = edge

b@llhog24
05-02-2012, 01:11 AM
In before MWP joke.

b@llhog24
05-02-2012, 01:14 AM
Here are my comparisons:

John Cena - LeBron James
CM Punk - Kevin Durant
Daniel Bryan - Jeremy Lin
Chris Jericho - Dwyane Wade
Randy Orton - Carmelo Anthony
The Undertaker - Tim Duncan
Triple H - Kevin Garnett
The Rock - Kobe Bryant
Stone Cold Steve Austin - Michael Jordan
Ric Flair - Larry Bird
Hulk Hogan - Magic Johnson

I like this list don't really know why but I like it.

Cal827
05-02-2012, 01:17 AM
I only know a little about Wrestling.. but I'll mention a few

Kobe is Triple H/Shawn Michaels- Older, but has the past accolades (Old Glory lol)

Amar'e Stoudemire=Edge... I remember flipping though channels seeing Edge attack a computer, and Amar'e fought a fire Hydrant :p

mdm692
05-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Cm punk - Derrick rose "Its clobberin time!!!!!"
SHAME ON PEOPLE SAYING MJ IS SCSA
Mj - Ric Flair
Kobe bryant - "the showstopper" shawn michaels

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-02-2012, 01:39 AM
James-Wade-Bosh = Hogan-Hall-Nash
Heat = nWo

Kobe + Bynum = Hollywood Blondes (good ole days of Brian Pillman and Steve Austin)

Durant & Westy = Young DX of HBK & HHH when they first formed.
Harden = X-Pac (lol)

LAKERMANIA
05-02-2012, 01:43 AM
The Undertaker and Tim Duncan to me is perfect

airforceones25
05-02-2012, 01:46 AM
Metta World Peace = Goldust...

Both looney as ****. Lol

Mr_Jones
05-02-2012, 01:51 AM
Lol, where is my hat, guys!?!

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-02-2012, 01:57 AM
Wade & James = The Bella Twins. :D

TRF929
05-02-2012, 02:02 AM
The Undertaker and Tim Duncan to me is perfect

I thought the same, was actually surprised to see Duncan mentioned but it fits.

What player would be Sting?

mdm692
05-02-2012, 02:03 AM
Ron artest - brock lesnar (neither care about the sport. Theyre both self centered a-holes that just want to hurt people).
Dwyane wade - Dwayne johnson " The Rock" :D.

Raph12
05-02-2012, 02:05 AM
Bill Russell is Ric Flair - Overrated legend who wouldn't be remotely as dominant, if he played in a different era

mdm692
05-02-2012, 02:08 AM
lets see if you guys know this one

Javale mcgee - Eugene

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-02-2012, 02:11 AM

Javale mcgee - Eugene

:laugh:

That is actually perfect!

How bout AI = Rey Mysterio

LAKERMANIA
05-02-2012, 02:17 AM
:laugh:

That is actually perfect!

How bout AI = Rey Mysterio

:laugh: Thats a very good one!

b@llhog24
05-02-2012, 02:31 AM
Bill Russell is Ric Flair - Overrated legend who wouldn't be remotely as dominant, if he played in a different era
+1

Javale mcgee - Eugene

:laugh2:

central2003
05-02-2012, 02:48 AM
Kobe is more like Bret Hart , the excellence of execution

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-02-2012, 02:52 AM
Kobe is more like Bret Hart , the excellence of execution

That's what I said, but someone called me out on his lack of efficiency.

There is a difference between efficiency and execution. Execution is more of getting the gameplan down, perfecting your moves in practice and using those in the games. Hell, the guy takes other player's moves and perfects them and makes it look even sexier (aka Dirk's shot).

Kobe's one of the greatest "technical" ballers in the game. The footwork, the cerebral aspect, the postmoves, unlimited arsenal. I think The Black Mamba and the Hitman go hand-in-hand in this aspect for sure.

LAKERMANIA
05-02-2012, 02:54 AM
Goldberg is Wilt Chamberlain

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-02-2012, 02:56 AM
Goldberg is Wilt Chamberlain

I thought Andre the Giant was kind of like Wilt. Both were behemoths and dominant, but both are also unfortunately deceased. They both died due to heart issues.

greg_ory_2005
05-02-2012, 03:01 AM
Luis Scola is Razor Ramon. For obvious reasons.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-02-2012, 03:02 AM
Luis Scola is Razor Ramon. For obvious reasons.

Correction, Ramon Sessions is the Bad Guy Razor Ramon. ;)

JK, but yeah, I never thought of that one before.

Cal827
05-02-2012, 03:28 AM
Greg Oden= Great Khali

asmarks18
05-02-2012, 03:34 AM
Jason Terry= Kofi Kingston.

Excellent teammate and performer but not quite good enough to be a star.

asmarks18
05-02-2012, 03:37 AM
Dirk is Edge.

Despite their dominance and their huge lists of accolades and achievements, isn't considered by many to be a top 20 player/wrestler of all time.

dos132
05-02-2012, 03:41 AM
coach george carl = paul heyman
c. bosh = boogeyman
t. parker = rey mysterio

:D

tmacmamba
05-02-2012, 04:26 AM
Mark Cuban = Eric Bischoff

Nate Robinson = Hornswoggle

:clap:

SportsAndrew25
05-02-2012, 04:29 AM
Amare = The Big Show

SportsAndrew25
05-02-2012, 04:31 AM

:clap::laugh:

asmarks18
05-02-2012, 04:35 AM

Hahaha nice!

asmarks18
05-02-2012, 04:36 AM
Ron Artest= R Truth.

SportsAndrew25
05-02-2012, 04:40 AM
Kobe = Chris Jericho

JJ_JKidd
05-02-2012, 04:42 AM

:p lol wtf

Mile High Champ
05-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Why are we comparing entertainment personalities to a real sport and real athletes?

torocan
05-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Shaq = Andre the Giant
Dwight = Big John Studd (wannabe)

Dywane Wade = Ted Dibiase

Meta = Goldust/Gorgeous George

Rondo = Edge

Kobe = Brett Hart

Nice thread. Haven't thought about wrasslin for years. :D