PDA

View Full Version : Tyson Chandler to be named DPOY

Gators123
05-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Marc J. Spears ‏ @SpearsNBAYahoo

Knicks center Tyson Chandler to be named NBA Defensive Player of the Year tomorrow at team practice facility, source tells @YahooSports.

tredigs
05-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Interesting. Possibly* the most worthy choice, though. Dude's been altering defenses since he came into the league.

Edit: Worth mentioning that his overall Defensive rating on Synergy doesn't crack the top 100 (tho' Dwight doesn't crack top 50 and Lebron doesn't crack top 100 so clearly this is a weak rating system), and his opponents production via 82games is 12.4 while his D. Rating is 99. Both good, but not generally what we'd see from a DPOY.

Knicks were ranked 5th in defensive efficiency. All stats that scream very good, not amazing. Be curious to see someone clearly lay out his case.

felixng2012
05-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Not surprised with all the crap Dwight Howard put his team through, his injury, and all that drama.

b@llhog24
05-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Well deserved.

Chronz
05-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Thank god Dwights reign is over... for now.

Cmon Bynum, your next

GiantsSwaGG
05-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Congrats Tyson....well deserved

kdspurman
05-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Well deserved :nod:

NoahH
Should have been LeBron :hide:

metsfanssince05
Changed the Knicks into a top defensive team, I thought I would never seen the a few years back! So glad we got Tyson. We Deserved!!! Congrats!

Lakers + Giants
05-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Thank god Dwights reign is over... for now.

Cmon Bynum, your next

You really believe he has a shot at getting one during his career?

FraziersKnicks
05-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Whodda thunk a Knick would win DPOY? Congrats Tyson :dance:

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Should have been LeBron :hide:

Well this thread sure got tainted really fast. :laugh2:

Congrats to Tyson Chandler! :clap:

LongIslandIcedZ
05-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Congrats to Tyson

Deserved this as much as anyone

netsgiantsyanks
05-01-2012, 08:43 PM
dwight howard deserved it.

:p

knicks_champ
05-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Good choice.. he deserved it. He played along side Amar'e and still improved our defense. That is big.

kenzo400
05-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Yeah, him being the DPOY is a bit strange. If anything this year showed, is that the Dallas system is largely what made him so good. He's a great defensive player but has he really been that good this year?

AndyfromNeptune
05-01-2012, 08:52 PM
From someone who has watched nearly every single Knicks game, I cannot emphasize enough how much of an impact Tyson Chandler has had upon our defense.

lakersfan01
05-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Tyson Chandler :laugh: OK NBA, throw the poor Knicks fans a bone. Chandler :laugh2:

5ass
05-01-2012, 08:55 PM
i would give it to the by far most impactful defender, Dwight. Whatever though, Tyson has been great.

Baller1
Crazy seeing a New York Knick win this award, haha.

lakersfan01
Bynum is by far the most important to his team's defense of any player in the NBA.

Bynum 11.8 rpg, 1.9 bpg, and alters numerous shots every game

Chandler 9.9 rpg, 1.4 bpg, more foul prone and the Knicks are worse with him than they were last season without him.

RC3
05-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Tyson Chandler :laugh: OK NBA, throw the poor Knicks fans a bone. Chandler :laugh2:

:confused:

justinnum1
05-01-2012, 08:58 PM
No complaints here

29$JerZ
05-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Bynum is by far the most important to his team's defense of any player in the NBA.

Chandler 9.9 rpg, 1.4 bpg, more foul prone and the Knicks are worse with him than they were last season without him.

Have you looked at all the Knicks Defensive numbers from last season compared to now since Chandler was signed?

Gram
05-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Thank goodness the NBA forum isn't a giant Knick forum anymore (so happens when I get banned lol) because there'd be how many threads about this? lol I kid Knicks fans. :hide:

Grats Chandler, not sure I woulda given you the award but it's nice to see Dwight not get it again.

Broadwayjoe NY
05-01-2012, 09:04 PM

I have trouble grasping this statement; please explain further.

oak2455
wow this thread has clowned up fast......congrats Tyson!!

Gram

lol Bynum.

oak2455
05-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Thank goodness the NBA forum isn't a giant Knick forum anymore (so happens when I get banned lol) because there'd be how many threads about this? lol I kid Knicks fans. :hide:

Grats Chandler, not sure I woulda given you the award but it's nice to see Dwight not get it again.

welcome back:clap::clap:

Gators123

:laugh2:

And Knicks defense > Lakers defense.

Gram
wow this thread has clowned up fast......congrats Tyson!!

It has nothing to do with me being unbanned this time I promise.

meloman1592
05-01-2012, 09:06 PM
well deserved

Slug3
05-01-2012, 09:07 PM
I feel Tyson is very deserving. I would like to see a perimeter player win it again. I feel these last few years they have had to work the hardest guarding players while the center position is pretty weak overall.

More-Than-Most
05-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Should have been Lebron and I dislike the heat

Knicks21
05-01-2012, 09:08 PM

Heat defence would still be pretty good without him, there rotations are amazing.

Probably can't say the same for the knicks.

NoahH
05-01-2012, 09:09 PM

Yeah buddy! :clap:

WTF is up with your sig :facepalm:

meloman1592
05-01-2012, 09:11 PM

epic fail of a post

dee279
05-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Not surprised with all the crap Dwight Howard put his team through, his injury, and all that drama.

Lol at yur sig

waveycrockett

There is no question Chandler deserves this award but it would be absolutely stupid to penalize Dwight for his beef with Otis Smith and SVG.

Punk
Well deserved. He's playing through a fever and a fractured hand and a sprained knee.

This man is a true warrior and leader. Great signing and great way to rep NY. Him and Gerald Wallace are my favorite players.

When did LeBron ever take a 28th defensive team to 5th overall?

mudvayne387
05-01-2012, 09:18 PM
A Knicks player could save a litter of puppies from a burning building and people would still find fault in it. This site Is 25% intelligent discussion and 75% non sensical team bashing.

Hustla23
05-01-2012, 09:21 PM
I just want it to be known that Tyson Chandler is not single-handedly responsible for the transformation of the Knicks defense.

Shumpert, Jeffries, Smith, and Lin have shown to be plus defenders at their position.

Take a look at how horrendous the defense is right now without those guys playing.

But having said that, Tyson has made a huge impact and is a badass defender himself.

Congrats to him.

Gram
05-01-2012, 09:23 PM
A Knicks player could save a litter of puppies from a burning building and people would still find fault in it. This site Is 25% intelligent discussion and 75% non sensical team bashing.

The 25% intelligent discussion is only the Knicks fans. :rolleyes:

kdspurman
05-01-2012, 09:25 PM

Rebounds/Blocks per game don't make you a dpoy tbh.

knicks_champ
05-01-2012, 09:29 PM

:confused::mad::speechless:

akia83
05-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Heat defence would still be pretty good without him, there rotations are amazing.

So what? He's still a better defender than Chandler.

But Tyson is definitly in the top 3 and deserves it as well

RC3
05-01-2012, 09:38 PM

I agree. Blocks are one of the more overrated defensive stats. Knicks were in the top 10 in blocks last year and they were bad on defense.

blastmasta26
05-01-2012, 09:40 PM
I wonder if Dwight would've gotten it if not for the drama that happened before the playoffs.

hgtiger32
05-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Not Ibaka?

Jint.
05-01-2012, 09:52 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

lakersfan01
05-01-2012, 09:55 PM
epic fail of a post

Says "meloman" with absolutely nothing to dispute my post.
Enjoy the sweep :laugh2:

oak2455
05-01-2012, 09:58 PM
It has nothing to do with me being unbanned this time I promise.

:confused::confused::confused:

lakersfan01
05-01-2012, 09:58 PM
lol Bynum.

Yeah "lol", I bet Bynum wakes up every morning wishing he was as great as Tyson Chandler :rolleyes:

blastmasta26
05-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Says "meloman" with absolutely nothing to dispute my post.
Enjoy the sweep :laugh2:
Well, it was a bad post. Rebounds and blocks don't determine the better defender alone, and the Knicks have never been elite defensively without Chandler. And you seemed to be influenced by homerism by promoting Bynum instead of say Dwight or LeBron, more viable candidates than him.

TeamSeattle
Good for this guy, glad he's on our team.

blastmasta26
Yeah "lol", I bet Bynum wakes up every morning wishing he was as great as Tyson Chandler :rolleyes:
No one implied Tyson was a better player. Just a better defender.

Swashcuff
05-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Congrats to Tyson.... up next Iggy and Ibaka

blastmasta26
05-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Congrats to Tyson.... up next Iggy and Ibaka
Iggy deserves one, can't even remember the last perimeter player to win DPOY though lol

lakersfan01
05-01-2012, 10:05 PM

Rebounds, blocks, altered shots, post defense, and straight up scaring teams from even going inside make Bynum great.

I like Tyson Chandler's game, but DPOY... that's silly. He's at best the 3rd best defensive center, let alone the best defensive player in the entire NBA.

ManningToTyree
05-01-2012, 10:05 PM

CONGRADULATIONS! You have the dumbest post of the thread :clap:

Well deserved Tyson. If you don't think he was a worthy candidate you didn't watch many Knicks games.

He took this team from pathetic defensively to top 5 with a little help from Shump.

YashBoone
05-01-2012, 10:09 PM

You clearly have no idea what you talking about.

I have watched the knicks for over 20 years. I have watched as we were at the bottom end of the entire nba year after year after year defensively . Then enter chandler , and we rank in the top of the nba.... He changed the entire culture.

Not to mention he is the reason that the mavs finally got over the hump last year.....

And as I write this Paul pierce. Just tebowed.... I have officially seen it all from that jack ***

Swashcuff
05-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Iggy deserves one, can't even remember the last perimeter player to win DPOY though lol

Artest

Swashcuff
05-01-2012, 10:13 PM

Well deserved Tyson. If you don't think he was a worthy candidate you didn't watch many Knicks games.

He took this team from pathetic defensively to top 5 with a little help from Shump.

I 2nd this

lakersfan01
05-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Well, it was a bad post. Rebounds and blocks don't determine the better defender alone, and the Knicks have never been elite defensively without Chandler. And you seemed to be influenced by homerism by promoting Bynum instead of say Dwight or LeBron, more viable candidates than him.

I was strictly talking bigs, and to me Chandler is the 3rd best defensive center behind Bynum and Howard. He's good, but he's #3 defensively among centers.

I would vote for Lebron for DPOY, no argument there. Maybe since they didn't name him, he'll win MVP over Kevin Durant. Who knows, these awards are a sham for the most part. This isn't homerism, it's ridiculous that Shaq only had 1 MVP, and Kobe only has 1 MVP. It's ridiculous that the NBA named Kobe to the all defensive team last season when his defense was terrible. It's all about promoting who they feel like supporting. Knicks make some good news with Chandler after ridiculous bad things happening to them all year and really hitting them recently.

I'm happy the Lakers have Andrew Bynum. His defense is the biggest reason I feel good about their chances at winning the title this year.

tredigs
05-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Rebounds, blocks, altered shots, post defense, and straight up scaring teams from even going inside make Bynum great.

I like Tyson Chandler's game, but DPOY... that's silly. He's at best the 3rd best defensive center, let alone the best defensive player in the entire NBA.

Raptors had better defensive efficiency than the Lakers.

The Toronto Raptors.

blastmasta26
05-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Damn, he's the only perimeter player to win in the last 15 years or so.

lakersfan01
05-01-2012, 10:17 PM

I have watched the knicks for over 20 years. I have watched as we were at the bottom end of the entire nba year after year after year defensively . Then enter chandler , and we rank in the top of the nba.... He changed the entire culture.

Not to mention he is the reason that the mavs finally got over the hump last year.....

And as I write this Paul pierce. Just tebowed.... I have officially seen it all from that jack ***

Pierce tebowed? That's awful and I agree with you about Pierce being a jack *** lol.

I'm NOT saying Chandler is some chump on defense. I just don't believe he is the Defensive Player of the Year. He's better than most and I can see him in the conversation for DPOY, but winning it is crazy.

Swashcuff
05-01-2012, 10:18 PM
I was strictly talking bigs, and to me Chandler is the 3rd best defensive center behind Bynum and Howard. He's good, but he's #3 defensively among centers.

I would vote for Lebron for DPOY, no argument there. Maybe since they didn't name him, he'll win MVP over Kevin Durant. Who knows, these awards are a sham for the most part. This isn't homerism, it's ridiculous that Shaq only had 1 MVP, and Kobe only has 1 MVP. It's ridiculous that the NBA named Kobe to the all defensive team last season when his defense was terrible. It's all about promoting who they feel like supporting. Knicks make some good news with Chandler after ridiculous bad things happening to them all year and really hitting them recently.

I'm happy the Lakers have Andrew Bynum. His defense is the biggest reason I feel good about their chances at winning the title this year.

The same way the best player doesn't always win MVP the best defensive big man doesn't always win DPOY.

What in that can't you understand?

meloman1592
05-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Pierce tebowed? That's awful and I agree with you about Pierce being a jack *** lol.

I'm NOT saying Chandler is some chump on defense. I just don't believe he is the Defensive Player of the Year. He's better than most and I can see him in the conversation for DPOY, but winning it is crazy.

elaborate

oak2455
05-01-2012, 10:20 PM
it's amazing if Tyson played for the Bobcats you wouldnt see all this discussion

b@llhog24
05-01-2012, 10:21 PM

Its because the 2nd best defensive center is injured. :shrug:

The Toronto Raptors.

:laugh2:

oak2455
05-01-2012, 10:22 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

lakersfan01
05-01-2012, 10:22 PM

The Toronto Raptors.

We had the worst defender in the entire NBA with Derek Fisher on our team most of the season, what do you expect? :laugh2:

Kobe and Blake are awful defenders too, and Pau Gasol.... yeah you guys know about him. Bynum is a stud and makes up for a team full of poor defenders. Peace didn't round into Artest shape until about a month ago. If you're trying to insinuate that Bynum isn't a beast on defense, you're very wrong.

Also, the Toronto Raptors play in the Eastern Conference. The Eastern Conference.

lakersfan01
05-01-2012, 10:24 PM
The same way the best player doesn't always win MVP the best defensive big man doesn't always win DPOY.

What in that can't you understand?

No **** Sherlock, thank you for summarizing what I said. You're perceptiveness is incredible. :laugh2:

Swashcuff
05-01-2012, 10:24 PM

Hear what you can do.

Go through the every DPOY throughout the history of the game okay.... and tell us how many of those players played for team's whose defense wasn't among the upper third in the league.

Then tell me if Tyson Chandler doesn't deserve the award but Bynum does.

b@llhog24
05-01-2012, 10:25 PM
We had the worst defender in the entire NBA with Derek Fisher on our team most of the season, what do you expect? :laugh2:

Kobe and Blake are awful defenders too, and Pau Gasol.... yeah you guys know about him. Bynum is a stud and makes up for a team full of poor defenders. Peace didn't round into Artest shape until about a month ago. If you're trying to insinuate that Bynum isn't a beast on defense, you're very wrong.

Also, the Toronto Raptors play in the Eastern Conference. The Eastern Conference.

One word: Amare. :cool:

YashBoone
05-01-2012, 10:25 PM

Well I have to respectfully disagree mainly because i literally watch every game for years and chandler didn't just come in and play d himself. He made other player better on d. He constantly talked about working with the young guys on d. He is the one on d who is telling everyone what to do. He is basically our defensive coach also.

And I'm not just making it up. It was constantly talked about all year, and he himself was vocal about calling guys out and getting on them for slacking on d.... He does a lot more then what you can prove with a stat sheet.

Swashcuff
05-01-2012, 10:28 PM

Jose Calderon plays for the Raptors in case you didn't know. Also PG is the least impactful position defensively on the floor while the C is the most impactful. That logic is foolish.

This man just said Kobe and Pau are awful defenders :laugh2:

What does that have to do with anything?

YashBoone
05-01-2012, 10:28 PM
And ill just make myself clear. I'm not saying Bynum isn't a good defender. I'm just saying that Tyson IS worthy. I never compare the two anyway. Someone has to win it, and Tyson obviously deserved it. It's not like they drew his name from a hat.

LA_Raiders
05-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Well deserved. Too bad he has plenty of crackhead teammates

lakersfan01
05-01-2012, 10:30 PM

I never said he wasn't a candidate. I said I can see him in the conversation, but no way in hell does he deserve to win.

Try spelling "congratulations" correctly when you're calling another post the "dumbest". :laugh:

roshan3ai
05-01-2012, 10:30 PM

The Toronto Raptors.
:laugh2: That's with Calderon starting. One of the worst defenders in the game

roshan3ai
05-01-2012, 10:31 PM

The Toronto Raptors.
:laugh2: And that's with Calderon starting. One of the worst defenders in the game

Swashcuff
05-01-2012, 10:37 PM
I never said he wasn't a candidate. I said I can see him in the conversation, but no way in hell does he deserve to win.

Try spelling "congratulations" correctly when you're calling another post the "dumbest". :laugh:

I dare you to find a DPOY winner who's team wasn't among the best defensively. Go ahead do it.

If you don't think Tyson should have won you know nothing about basketball. Just like calling Kobe and Pau awful defensively and blaming Derrick Fisher for your team not being better than they were defensively.

lakersfan01
05-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Jose Calderon plays for the Raptors in case you didn't know. Also PG is the least impactful position defensively on the floor while the C is the most impactful. That logic is foolish.

This man just said Kobe and Pau are awful defenders :laugh2:

What does that have to do with anything?

C is the most important position for the defense, and PG is probably the 2nd most important. If Derek Fisher starts for a team, their defense WILL suffer.

Kobe has been awful the last 2 years on defense. I wish it weren't so, but it's reality. I expect him to ratchet his defense up for the playoffs, but he hasn't just been below average, he's been playing awful D. Some Lakers fans that actually watch the games and pay attention to everything have noticed it. And Pau... yeah he's soft as hell at times. He can play good D, but he can play really bad D as well.

The Eastern Conference is vastly inferior, that's a fact.

Yankeefan213
05-01-2012, 10:38 PM

Who should win it then? Bynum? Yeah he is a good defender but has other guys that know how to play defense. Chandler has made Carmelo and JR Smith better defenders than they were.

lakersfan01
05-01-2012, 10:41 PM
I dare you to find a DPOY winner who's team wasn't among the best defensively. Go ahead do it.

If you don't think Tyson should have won you know nothing about basketball. Just like calling Kobe and Pau awful defensively and blaming Derrick Fisher for your team not being better than they were defensively.

There you go again, it's spelled "Derek". Your opinions are completely irrelevant. I'm not even going to listen to someone that isn't intelligent enough to spell. :laugh2:

Swashcuff
05-01-2012, 10:43 PM
C is the most important position for the defense, and PG is probably the 2nd most important. If Derek Fisher starts for a team, their defense WILL suffer.

What? :laugh2:

Who was the Knicks starting PGs this season? Lin and Davis and neither are much better defensively than Fisher.

Kobe has been awful the last 2 years on defense. I wish it weren't so, but it's reality. I expect him to ratchet his defense up for the playoffs, but he hasn't just been below average, he's been playing awful D. Some Lakers fans that actually watch the games and pay attention to everything have noticed it. And Pau... yeah he's soft as hell at times. He can play good D, but he can play really bad D as well.

All wrong. :laugh2: You must not watch the same game as actual Laker fans. Pau and Kobe awful defensively? You NEED to watch a couple more Knicks and Rocket games to see what awful PF and SG defensive looks like.

The Eastern Conference is vastly inferior, that's a fact.

But yet still the two top favourites this season are from the Eastern conference right? :rolleyes:

Swashcuff
05-01-2012, 10:45 PM
There you go again, it's spelled "Derek". Your opinions are completely irrelevant. I'm not even going to listen to someone that isn't intelligent enough to spell. :laugh2:

OMG I spelled his name incorrectly? I must not know anything about basketball right? :rolleyes:

And you sir are a coward who knows nothing about basketball.

lakersfan01
05-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Who should win it then? Bynum? Yeah he is a good defender but has other guys that know how to play defense. Chandler has made Carmelo and JR Smith better defenders than they were.

Lebron James is the best defender in the entire NBA.

Chandler is in the conversation but he's probably 4th or 5th.

JJ_JKidd
05-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Thought Serge Bukake was gonna be the DPOY. Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS to TC and thanks for helping us win last year! :clap:

lakersfan01
05-01-2012, 10:48 PM
OMG I spelled his name incorrectly? I must not know anything about basketball right? :rolleyes:

And you sir are a coward who knows nothing about basketball.

You're such an expert on Derek Fisher but yet don't know how to spell his name? Geez you must watch him all the time. :rolleyes:

Keep it up pup. You go ahead and call someone a coward from behind your computer screen :laugh2:

Kashmir13579
05-01-2012, 10:48 PM
What? :laugh2:

Who was the Knicks starting PGs this season? Lin and Davis and neither are much better defensively than Fisher.

Do you even believe the PG is the second most important position on defense?

Swashcuff
05-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Do you even believe the PG is the second most important position on defense?

No I actually believe that its the least important. Defense is played from the inside out that's why all great defensive dynasties (outside of the Bulls) was built with a very strong interior.

You can get beat off the dribble all game (eg Jameer Nelson in Orlando for the past 4 seasons) and still play on an elite defensive team with a stellar presence in the post.

Its really not that complicated IMO.

kalveinarthur
05-01-2012, 10:53 PM
He deserves the award. He really dominates the defensive plays. ufo sightings (http://www.latest-ufo-sightings.net/2012/04/ufo-or-orb-over-rome-italy-28-apr-2012.html)

DoMeFavors
05-01-2012, 10:57 PM
I can only imagine the interior defense with Amare at center.

CEasFiRe
05-01-2012, 11:02 PM
congrats and well deserved and earned tyson
and to Heat fans lebron is winning the mvp so stop badgering the rest of us with your nonsense

lakersfan01
05-01-2012, 11:05 PM
7 rebounds in game 2, DPOY :laugh2:

Gram
05-01-2012, 11:08 PM

Lol Laker fans. :rolleyes:

lakersfan01
05-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Some of you guys are way too easy :laugh2:

NYMetropolitans
05-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Congratulations big man! :clap:

Changed the culture of our team hopefully for years to come! Now let's get a backup big man like Jeff Johnson said over at theknicksblog to sure up the D while the big boy is on the bench.

lvlheaded
05-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Love Tyson and what he does for the Knicks. Congrats Tys :clap:

felixng2012
05-01-2012, 11:15 PM

Flu.

Sactown
05-01-2012, 11:16 PM
I hate to give New York any credit, but the Knicks hold other centers to the lowest PPG in the NBA

Link
http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/opponentstats/12/10/pts/1-1

They also lead the league in holding other teams to the least amount of points in the paint

Link
http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/opponentstats/12/4/pts/1-1

oak2455
05-01-2012, 11:16 PM
I can only imagine the interior defense with Amare at center.

why do you post:facepalm:

justinnum1
05-01-2012, 11:17 PM
I hate to give New York any credit, but the Knicks hold other centers to the lowest PPG in the NBA

Link
http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/opponentstats/12/10/pts/1-1

They also lead the league in holding other teams to the least amount of points in the paint

Link
http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/opponentstats/12/4/pts/1-1

Interesting stats, surprised miami is #2

Gators123
05-01-2012, 11:17 PM

Great argument.

Sactown
05-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Interesting stats, surprised miami is #2

Which shows how great they're rotating is.

Miami's weakness is a dominant low post scorer, but they don't allow the wing players to cut to the rim, or beat them off the dribble which keeps them out of the paint

meloman1592
05-01-2012, 11:22 PM
This is well deserved...No arguments

JordansBulls
05-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Marc J. Spears ‏ @SpearsNBAYahoo

Good to see.

Sactown
05-01-2012, 11:27 PM
This is well deserved...No arguments

Actually there are plenty of arguments, one being Lebron James helps lock down the paint and the perimeter, While Tyson can only affect the paint, which explains why the Knicks are in the bottom half of opponent out of paint points
and Miami is top 2 in paint defense, and top 10 in perimeter opponent points..

Avenged
05-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Definitely well deserved. There are a few guys who could have gotten this as well but no complaints here.

thekmp211
05-01-2012, 11:38 PM
he made them a good defensive team with MDA coaching...that's some accomplishment.

LJEATON26
05-01-2012, 11:46 PM
i still think ibakas getting the shaft but my opinions biased all i know is that without serge blocking shots and erasing other peoples mistakes then okc would be in trouble

DoMeFavors
05-01-2012, 11:48 PM
why do you post:facepalm:

hey buddy how are you

Chronz
05-01-2012, 11:52 PM
You really believe he has a shot at getting one during his career?

**** yea bro, there is no one his size in the league with some kind of mobility. I just dont think he puts in enough effort mentally, Shaq had the same problem but even he had a few years where he was just scary on that end.

knicks4life33
05-01-2012, 11:59 PM
congrats tysonnnnnnn

congrats tysonnnnn

congrats tyson

congrats tysonn

oak2455
05-02-2012, 12:04 AM
hey buddy how are you

What does Amare have to do with this thread? Exactly... Nice talk, enjoy your chicken...

MagicBucsSox
05-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Chandler had Shumpert to guard perimeter players. Dwight has ............ Just saying

oak2455
05-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Now Shump is good.... Good to see he's getting some respect:clap: hopefully he can comeback next year ok

cwesleyf
05-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Chandler is a stout defender and he deserves credit for his defensive prowess. Fact is Dwight Howard is a better defender, better center and better all around player. If the Knicks had any opportunity to get Howard during the offseason they would gladly trade Chandler with other players to make it happen. Unfortunately for Dwight he has been way overexposed this year.

ball4reel
05-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Congrats tyson!!!!!

ball4reel
05-02-2012, 12:48 AM
With all the awards given out this yr, this will be the only 1 people fight over cause it went to a Knick!!! SMH

JC_
05-02-2012, 01:15 AM
Grats, I expect him to come out and play hard next game.

Raph12
05-02-2012, 01:31 AM
Dwight's going to pull a Jordan, take a year off, come back and three-peat again.

Master Mind
05-02-2012, 01:58 AM
Ibaka?

dodie53
05-02-2012, 02:32 AM
congrats.

Raph12
05-02-2012, 03:38 AM
Ibaka?

Is overrated...

asmarks18
05-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Congrats, TC. You deserve it. We miss him in Dallas horribly.

Jenceman
05-02-2012, 06:44 AM
Bynum should be winning this next year. He puts in 75% effort and it's his easily.

TeamStream25
05-02-2012, 06:54 AM
If there's one positive to come from the Knicks this year, this is it. Well done Chandler.

naps
05-02-2012, 07:18 AM
Congrats to Tyson although someone like Ibaka or LeBron or Iggy getting this wouldn't surprise me at all.

Isn't it funny that Knicks fans are giving all the credits to TC for them being a better defensive team than before while in other threads the same posters say Iman Shumpert is the best or one of the best perimeter defenders in the league?

Anyway, I would like to see a detailed breakdown of defensive impacts (stats included) of the major 4/5 candidates this year. Anyone? tredigs, Swasscuff, ManRam, Chronz, Hawkeye, PatSoxKnicks, Bruno, and a few others usually do a good job at these kinda stuff.

phoenix_bladen
05-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Yeah, him being the DPOY is a bit strange. If anything this year showed, is that the Dallas system is largely what made him so good. He's a great defensive player but has he really been that good this year?

Are u kidding me? Tyson is the reason they finally got a ring

Have u seen how badly Dallas is struggling without him?

He single handledly changed the defensive culture of the Knicks and we know how bad they have been for the last decade or so

uprightciti
05-02-2012, 08:06 AM
tyson is the man

JordansBulls
05-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Dwight's going to pull a Jordan, take a year off, come back and three-peat again.

He only needs 1 more to tie Wallace and Deke.

JasonJohnHorn
05-02-2012, 10:23 AM
I love how NBA.com has a article posted saying he won it, but that it hasn't been announced by the NBA and won't until Wednesday.... why is NBA.com reporting it before the NBA annonces it? Weird

anyways... Chandler was my choice for the award, but there were a few other guys worth mentioning. LBJ for one... I was watching him defend Melo, and WOW! I haven't seen a lot of Miami games this year, so I never really got a good look at LBJ, but he's got the goods.

torocan
05-02-2012, 10:33 AM
I love how NBA.com has a article posted saying he won it, but that it hasn't been announced by the NBA and won't until Wednesday.... why is NBA.com reporting it before the NBA annonces it? Weird

anyways... Chandler was my choice for the award, but there were a few other guys worth mentioning. LBJ for one... I was watching him defend Melo, and WOW! I haven't seen a lot of Miami games this year, so I never really got a good look at LBJ, but he's got the goods.

I suspect part of the equation is many feel LBJ will win MVP. They pretty much never give DPOY + MVP to the same player.

Lebron has a legit argument for DPOY, as much of one as Chandler. There's other players as well.

There's a number of players that I would have been fine with in terms of DPOY, and Chandler is one of them.

ManningToTyree
05-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Any of
LeBron
Iggy
Chandler
Ibaka
Dwight

would have been fine with me. I'm really glad it was Tyson though lol.

DaBUU
05-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Really happy for Tyson, deserves it this year. Good to see him grow up and become a Champion & DPOY.

PlezPlayDKnicks
05-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Actually there are plenty of arguments, one being Lebron James helps lock down the paint and the perimeter, While Tyson can only affect the paint, which explains why the Knicks are in the bottom half of opponent out of paint points
and Miami is top 2 in paint defense, and top 10 in perimeter opponent points..

Lebron does play with Wade, Battier , chalmers and other defensive role players. Who does Tyson have besides Jeffries& Shump who is consistent on that end. LbJ has a case but also has it easier and less mistakes to erase.

willabeast77
05-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Tyson had a reason to get it but he won it mainly because of him playing in NY, and Dwight missing the last 9+ games + with all his comments.

Since he plays centre, he'll make the all-defense 1st team. Then looks like Dwight will be on the 2nd team. Wonder if Dwight will still make the All-NBA 1st team

Slug3
05-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Lebron does play with Wade, Battier , chalmers and other defensive role players. Who does Tyson have besides Jeffries& Shump who is consistent on that end. LbJ has a case but also has it easier and less mistakes to erase.

You speak as if shump is not good on defense. I mean a lot of knick fans were saying all year how he is one if not the best defensive wing player.

Raph12
05-02-2012, 03:38 PM
He only needs 1 more to tie Wallace and Deke.

I'd be shocked if he didn't set the new record when it is said and done...

dtmagnet
05-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Well deserved, I thought he should have won last year too.

NY_Heartbreak
05-02-2012, 03:58 PM

lolwut

HuRRiCaNeS324
05-02-2012, 04:10 PM
**** that, Lebron is the best defensive player in the planet

The goods
05-02-2012, 04:19 PM
That's good for him.

Twins Fanatic
05-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Idk, I'm glad if he gets it, but it's still questionable. His numbers were not that impressive, but still really good. I feel that players like Bynum, Ibaka, and LeBron put up better numbers;not to mention Tony Allen shut down a lot of players this year at multiple positions.

Punk
05-02-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm baffled at how taking a 28th defensive team to 5th in 1 season isn't impressive?

I swear if we had Ibaka people would say "blocks isn't the only aspect of defense"

willabeast77
05-02-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm baffled at how taking a 28th defensive team to 5th in 1 season isn't impressive?

I swear if we had Ibaka people would say "blocks isn't the only aspect of defense"

He isn't the sole reason for that. It's also due to Mike Woodson's coaching.

Ebbs
05-02-2012, 04:41 PM

lol

Twins Fanatic
05-02-2012, 04:44 PM

Its also an individual award, not a team award.

bballswishanet
05-02-2012, 04:51 PM
lol @ everyone who said Tyson Chandler was overpaid at the beginning of the season...

A very important player on a team that won a championship, then signed a new contract on a different team. some people said he was overpaid, and he ended up winning the DPOY that season....

:D

owned.

:facepalm:

Hawkeye15
05-02-2012, 05:10 PM
How on earth did Greg Monroe get a 3rd place vote? haha

knicksfan42
05-02-2012, 05:13 PM
How on earth did Greg Monroe get a 3rd place vote? haha

Daivd Lee got one before.

Hawkeye15
05-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Daivd Lee got one before.

I mean, I love my Wolves, but would bring it up if Love got a vote too. Some of the votes are mindboggling.

I would like to point out the Kobe did not get one 1st place vote. I am very interested to see if he makes an all defensive team. The last 2 years he made it on reputation while superior defenders were left off. Hoping they get it closer to right this year.

IBleedPurple
05-02-2012, 05:49 PM
What a traveshamockery

blastmasta26
05-02-2012, 06:24 PM
lol @ everyone who said Tyson Chandler was overpaid at the beginning of the season...

A very important player on a team that won a championship, then signed a new contract on a different team. some people said he was overpaid, and he ended up winning the DPOY that season....

owned.

To be fair, a DPOY can still be overpaid at about $15 mil if they are negligible on offense. However, I do think Tyson has proved his worth with P&R play and ability to finish inside making him a capable scorer when the team is playing unselfishly.

YashBoone
05-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Lebron should have won DPOY HE IS THE GOAT NOT A REAL GOAT BUT YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANNNNNNNNNNN

He'll never be the goat.... He's tryin like hell and has a lot of hype, but sorry. He made the arrogant promise of winning not one, not two, not three, not four..... You get the hint....... Till he wins like 7 titles I'll never ever consider him the best... Sell out maybe.... Primadonna for sure, but never the goat

MassoDio
05-02-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm happy for Tyson.

He deserved it.

2-ONE-5
05-02-2012, 06:37 PM

owned.

pretty sure the Knicks didnt sign him to win DPOY pretty sure they signed him to help make them a contender...

BirdIsTheWord
05-02-2012, 06:42 PM
I was expecting Iggy to get more votes. But well deserved to Chandler.

Punk
05-02-2012, 06:53 PM

Not sure if serious.....

Swashcuff
05-02-2012, 07:09 PM
I was expecting Iggy to get more votes. But well deserved to Chandler.

You're not alone in that expectation. Now I really don't expect Iggy to get a first team nod.

IDunknown
05-02-2012, 07:14 PM
You speak as if shump is not good on defense. I mean a lot of knick fans were saying all year how he is one if not the best defensive wing player.

He wrote that Jeffries and Shumpert are good at defense.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Have you looked at all the Knicks Defensive numbers from last season compared to now since Chandler was signed?

That could also be because they got that rookie in your sig to play exceptional perimeter defense, and the mid-season move of No D (Antoni) to Woodson.

29$JerZ
05-02-2012, 07:40 PM
You're not alone in that expectation. Now I really don't expect Iggy to get a first team nod.

IMO had Philly not self destructed he may have won it.
I remember him and leBron basically being the likely candidates when Philly was owning their division. Idk if that ultimately changed people's minds about his DPOY chances but it may have.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Heat nut writ...errr. beat writer Tom Haberstroh going crazy on ESPNMiami with yet another article because LeBron got 4th in DPOY.

Oh dear.

PlezPlayDKnicks
05-02-2012, 07:57 PM
He wrote that Jeffries and Shumpert are good at defense.

Seems he overlooked that sentence.

Wade>You
05-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Heat nut writ...errr. beat writer Tom Haberstroh going crazy on ESPNMiami with yet another article because LeBron got 4th in DPOY.

Oh dear.Personally, I don't have anything against Tyson or Howard winning it. But seeing Serge Ibaka being a serious candidate for DPOY? That's questionable at best.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Personally, I don't have anything against Tyson or Howard winning it. But seeing Serge Ibaka being a serious candidate for DPOY? That's questionable at best.

Didn't Serge lead the NBA in blocks per game?

And I think his post defense has gotten better after playing a full season with Perk, who is arguably the best post defender in the game today.

Slug3
05-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Seems he overlooked that sentence.

No I meant it as you made it seem like Tyson had no one to help him. I did see what you put as him being a good defender, but it seems like you wrote he was a good defender, then wrote Tyson has no one to help him on D.

Knicks21
05-02-2012, 08:09 PM
He isn't the sole reason for that. It's also due to Mike Woodson's coaching.

Our defence was still top 10 with D'antoni.

Baller1
05-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Damn! Ibaka got a ton of votes, did not expect that at all... Wish he could've won it.

Good for Chandler though, so glad he left the Mavs.

Raph12
05-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Our defence was still top 10 with D'antoni.

That defense was still run by Woodson, he was brought in as an assistant coach for that purpose and after D'Antoni left, the focus was put on defense even more (helped significantly that Stat was injured and out a lot). Tyson can anchor an elite defense, but the defensive sets and schemes are a huge reason why the defense was that good; Dwight does more with less.

Didn't Serge lead the NBA in blocks per game?

And I think his post defense has gotten better after playing a full season with Perk, who is arguably the best post defender in the game today.

He's severely overrated; he gets burned on pumpfakes all the time, he allows 0.81PPP in isolation, 0.85PPP in post plays, 0.90 in spotup plays and 0.87 overall (good for 258th overall)... He's not nearly as good as his "BPG" suggest, even as the help defense, he tends to buy on any fake.

It's like I said, Dwight's always the default DPOY and usually the most deserving, but with all of the off-court bs, his injury and him winning three in a row already; this was the year to give it to someone else.

Yankees1115
05-03-2012, 12:19 AM
Watching Tyson on a daily basis is an honor. Congrats to him and he was an amazing addition to our team.

Weezy
05-03-2012, 08:25 AM
I'm surprised by the votes that follow Tyson. LBJ should have gotten more and Ibaka is kind of overrated. Regardless, congratz to Tyson well deserved and TY!!!

mRc08
05-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Glad to see a former bull and player I've always liked/had high hopes for win the award. Well deserved.

Chronz
05-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Yea I dont know how Ibaka got so many votes, someone needs to be shot. It was clearly TC to lose but 2nd place shouldnt be overlooked. Ibaka doesnt fit

5ass
05-03-2012, 04:39 PM
i said this before in another thread a while back ibaka is really overrated defensively. Hes still a great defender, but u can replace him with Ekpe Udoh, Larry Sanders, Bismack Biyombo, Greg Steimsma and not lose much defensively. In the case of Biyombo and Udoh, i believe they'd be just as good if not better.

Hawkeye15
05-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Ibaka blocks a ton of shots, therefore mindless voters who care for nothing outside those pretty totals vote for him.

Cal827
05-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Personally, I don't have anything against Tyson or Howard winning it. But seeing Serge Ibaka being a serious candidate for DPOY? That's questionable at best.

This. Unfortunately, people just look at one of the defensive stats and say "Hey, this guy is a uber defensive player". In the thread mentioning that we should have a perimeter defensive player of the year award , I worried that people would get nominated, just because they would end up getting a lot of steals in a season. Imagine if a guy like Ellis or Calderon were candidates for it, just because they got a lot of steals in a season. :pity:

Bruno
05-03-2012, 05:30 PM
LBJ finishing that far behind Ibaka and Howard is a joke. This should have been between Chandler, James, and Iggy. OKC was 11th in defensive ranking, Orlando was 12th. Ibaka and Howard should have rounded out the top five, not the top three. Howard also missed 12 games.

Congrats to Chandler, who was deserving (but also rewarded for last years playoff-run as well, imo).

Cfrey
05-03-2012, 05:46 PM
yeah it is a shame that LBJ was in the mix.. disappointing really at the lack of professional critiquing

nycsports2
05-03-2012, 05:48 PM
well deserved tyson!!!

some people are eating crow on here saying knicks overpaid for this guy...

5ass
05-03-2012, 06:00 PM
LBJ finishing that far behind Ibaka and Howard is a joke. This should have been between Chandler, James, and Iggy. OKC was 11th in defensive ranking, Orlando was 12th. Ibaka and Howard should have rounded out the top five, not the top three. Howard also missed 12 games.

Congrats to Chandler, who was deserving (but also rewarded for last years playoff-run as well, imo).

Dwight has clark (12 mpg) and qrich (12 mpg), ibaka has sefolosha, perk, westbrook all great defenders and a lot of good defenders yet orl is a better defensive team and would easily be top 10 if howard didnt go down.

Swashcuff
05-04-2012, 09:14 AM

Agreed on everything here.

JCmasta
05-04-2012, 11:13 AM
TChandler brought dat heart of a champion to the NYK and he pretty much changed the culture over there. You can see it in the playoffs this year.

:clap: Well deserved.

Raph12
05-04-2012, 12:28 PM

Lebron's defensive value is overrated; Dwight, Chandler, Iggy and Deng are more valuable to their teams defensively and are better defensive players overall.

blahblahyoutoo
05-04-2012, 02:27 PM
well deserved tyson!!!

some people are eating crow on here saying knicks overpaid for this guy...

yet they're still a first round exit.
winning DPOY doesn't mean he wasn't overpaid.

blahblahyoutoo
05-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Lebron's defensive value is overrated; Dwight, Chandler, Iggy and Deng are more valuable to their teams defensively and are better defensive players overall.

disagree. it's easy to say when he's played big minutes and a major role all season. his presence will be felt if he ever sits multiple games.
lebron is the defensive anchor of the team, much like chandler is of ny.