PDA

View Full Version : Former #1 pick, Tim Beckham, suspended 50 games

CarniifeX
05-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Major League Baseball announced that former Tampa Bay Rays top pick Tim Beckham, now playing at Durham, was suspended 50 games for drug issues relating to a drug of abuse.

"We are very disappointed by Tim's actions," Rays executive vice president Andrew Friedman said.

Beckham issued a statement of apology through the Rays: "I regret that my poor judgment resulted in me letting my teammates and the Tampa Bay Rays organization down. I take full responsibility for my actions and I will use this experience to refocus my commitment to baseball. I recognize that I am blessed to be able to play baseball for a living. I owe it to my teammates, my family, and to myself to respect the game and the responsibilities that go with playing it as a professional. I am sorry."

The MLB statement:

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Tampa Bay Rays Minor League shortstop Tim Beckham has received a 50-game suspension after a second violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program for a drug of abuse.

The suspension of Beckham, who is currently on the roster of the Triple-A Durham Bulls of the International League, will be effective immediately.

Wow. I knew this guy was going to be a bust.

ManningToTyree
05-01-2012, 05:42 PM
When will these guys learn?

RedSox>Yankees
05-01-2012, 05:45 PM
(Former) Rays prospects love ****ing up it seems: Josh Hamilton, Matt Bush, Delmon Young, Elijah Dukes, B.J. Upton and now Beckham...

VRP723
05-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Rays prospects love being awesome also: Longoria, Matt Moore, Desmond Jennings, David Price, James Shields, Ben Zobrist

And sometimes BJ Upton doesn't run for balls in the outfield, you're gonna lump him in with drug addicts, racists and almost murderers, in Bush's case?

Mell413
05-01-2012, 06:12 PM
But I thought the Rays never made bad picks?

Fly
05-01-2012, 06:15 PM
busttttttt

VenezuelanMet
05-01-2012, 06:17 PM
What has BJ Upton done? It's the 2nd time I see him mentioned along Dukes and Delmon this past week.

Big deal, he doesn't hustle a couple of times a season. He's turned out as a heck of a ballplayer.

Iodine
05-01-2012, 06:27 PM
What has BJ Upton done? It's the 2nd time I see him mentioned along Dukes and Delmon this past week.

Big deal, he doesn't hustle a couple of times a season. He's turned out as a heck of a ballplayer.

Not hustling is worse than being racist and swallowing drugs infront of a police officer....... duh

Jeffy25
05-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Rays prospects love being awesome also: Longoria, Matt Moore, Desmond Jennings, David Price, James Shields, Ben Zobrist

And sometimes BJ Upton doesn't run for balls in the outfield, you're gonna lump him in with drug addicts, racists and almost murderers, in Bush's case?

Agreed

It's a shame, but Beckham has been the one pick under the new regime that I didn't agree with that was a first rounder based on where they selected.

Sucks though, because Beckham isn't that far away now, but it probably won't slow down his off field development, he can still train and everything.

Lot's of former first overall pick news this week.

Jeffy25
05-01-2012, 06:50 PM
busttttttt

How is he a bust?

He very well might make the big leagues this year at the age of 22.

Joe33
05-02-2012, 05:03 AM
How is he a bust?

He very well might make the big leagues this year at the age of 22.

If he does, he's done nothing to earn that promotion. His minor league numbers leave plenty to be desired.
Hype is fine when the player warrants it, but you look at the guys picked after him in 2008 and you can only see this pick as a bust.

Jeffy25
05-02-2012, 05:20 AM
If he does, he's done nothing to earn that promotion. His minor league numbers leave plenty to be desired.
Hype is fine when the player warrants it, but you look at the guys picked after him in 2008 and you can only see this pick as a bust.

He is becoming really good defensively, a good base runner, and passable offensively.

He will still develop more power, but the only reason he wasn't up OD is because the team has plenty of shortstops ahead of him on the depth chart. There are other organizations that he might have made the 25 man roster on.

I'm just saying nobody should be calling a 22 year old AAA shortstop a bust, not yet at least. Even if he did fail a drug test.

I don't think he was worth a first overall pick by any means. And I don't think he will be much of a big leaguer either, but he might last as a big league starter for a few years one day, and should at least be a decent utility guy.

Joe33
05-02-2012, 05:27 AM
He is becoming really good defensively, a good base runner, and passable offensively.

He will still develop more power, but the only reason he wasn't up OD is because the team has plenty of shortstops ahead of him on the depth chart. There are other organizations that he might have made the 25 man roster on.

I'm just saying nobody should be calling a 22 year old AAA shortstop a bust, not yet at least. Even if he did fail a drug test.

I don't think he was worth a first overall pick by any means. And I don't think he will be much of a big leaguer either, but he might last as a big league starter for a few years one day, and should at least be a decent utility guy.

You don't pick anyone first overall for their defense and good baserunning. There was so much hype about how he'd hit, and it's just not materialized.

That you don't think he'll be much in the big leagues says you do think he's a bust, even if you're not prepared to admit it.

Jeffy25
05-02-2012, 05:36 AM
I mean, I don't think he is going to be a .900 OPS shortstop or anything.

I think he will carry a league average bat (.750 OPS like), that is good for a shortstop, but average for the league.

He will be above average defensively until his late 20's, and will be an okay base runner at the next level.

If he shows he is mature enough for the big leagues, he could have some nice years.

I don't think he is going to a stud though, but an okay big leaguer one day.

Of course, I could be completely wrong here.

ahoda
05-02-2012, 06:42 AM
Rays didn't draft or trade for Matt Bush though so I wouldn't necessarily lump him in with the other Rays busts. And it's not like every other franchise doesn't have it's history of failed prospects.

Pinstripe pride
05-02-2012, 09:34 AM
drug of abuse mena snot PEDs right?

Joe33
05-02-2012, 10:58 AM
drug of abuse mena snot PEDs right?

Means it's another Ricky Williams story.

Yankee Clipper
05-02-2012, 11:58 AM
(Former) Rays prospects love ****ing up it seems: Josh Hamilton, Matt Bush, Delmon Young, Elijah Dukes, B.J. Upton and now Beckham...

I don't really see how B.J. Upton falls into that crop of players :shrug:

dodgersuck
05-02-2012, 12:06 PM
So glad the Rays picked BEckham and let Posey drop

DieHardColtsfan
05-02-2012, 12:19 PM
They probably all have this mentality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X697nkecF4A

After all, Tampa has the best titty bars in the nation.

Towelie
05-02-2012, 01:39 PM
I don't really see how B.J. Upton falls into that crop of players :shrug:

I think mainly cause BJ Upton has had his issues with being with the Rays.

Jeffy25
05-02-2012, 03:40 PM
^ well he won't be a Ray next year.