PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Pop to be named Coach of Year

Jdawg
05-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Well deserved.

Source: Mike Monroe's twitter

redwhitenblue
05-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Not a huge surprise, they weren't going to give it to Thibs in back to back years.

felixng2012
Well deserved.

D1JM
Best coach in the NBA

nickdymez
05-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Vogel or Collins would have gotten my vote. Congrats anyway

JNA17
05-01-2012, 01:47 PM
He earned it. I don't know what the Spurs would do without him.

effen5
05-01-2012, 01:48 PM
I still think thibs deserved it

nickdymez
05-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Is there a source?

Jdawg
05-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Is there a source?

Added source :)

Wade>You
05-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Well deserved, Pop is da man.

Jdawg
05-01-2012, 01:53 PM
I still think thibs deserved it

Thibs is a great coach. My argument against that is that Pop did it while managing his stars minutes and developing guys like Danny Green (the Cavs cut him, the Cavs) in to a legit starter. Plus some would argue the West is harder to win 50 games in then the East.

BigEasy1323
05-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Thibs is a great coach. My argument against that is that Pop did it while managing his stars minutes and developing guys like Danny Green (the Cavs cut him, the Cavs) in to a legit starter. Plus some would argue the West is harder to win 50 games in then the East.

Pop is an amazing coach and #2 in my book this year. I just think it is way too difficult to overlook what Thibs has done with all the Bulls injuries this year while still leading them to the #1 overall seed (I am a Bulls fan lol). Either way, great year for both teams with two amazing coaches at the helm. Both very deserving

Lo Porto
05-01-2012, 02:09 PM
The Spurs had the best West record last year. So they did it again. His coaching job wasn't that great because he did the same thing as last year. Give the award to somebody who actually had to fight through adversity. Such as:

- Ty Corbin leading that young Jazz team to the playoffs is more respectable
- Thibs coaching Chicago to the best NBA record without Rose a bit is more respectable
- What the Pacers have done this year is amazing

Coach of the Year is just stupid. Jerry Sloan never gets it because some guy did more with less supposedly, yet guys like Pop get it this year despite other coaches doing more with less. Go figure.

kdspurman
05-01-2012, 02:31 PM
The Spurs had the best West record last year. So they did it again. His coaching job wasn't that great because he did the same thing as last year. Give the award to somebody who actually had to fight through adversity. Such as:

- Ty Corbin leading that young Jazz team to the playoffs is more respectable
- Thibs coaching Chicago to the best NBA record without Rose a bit is more respectable
- What the Pacers have done this year is amazing

Coach of the Year is just stupid. Jerry Sloan never gets it because some guy did more with less supposedly, yet guys like Pop get it this year despite other coaches doing more with less. Go figure.

I agree to an extent. Pop's ability to develop young players, and hold his veterans accountable is something not many other coaches do. One thing about Pop is he treats his stars like everyone else. There is no star treatment. He has rested his players a great deal (which can't be said for Thibs, as the argument has been made that he's burned out his players early on) and while not even trying tied the bulls for the best record in the league.

Thibs got more from his bench cause he HAD to. He had no choice but to play guys while Rose was out. Now it's clearly a "what if" situation but what if Thibs said regular season is not that important and gave Rose nights off early in the season, and sat him every now and then? And he used that time to develop young guys. Again, clearly a what if case, but maybe Rose doesn't get that injury because he's in rhythm while being well rested. There's a great balancing act that Pop seems to be the only one that knows when to rest guys, when to play limited minutes, and realizes a regular season winning streak is not important in the long run.

Nobody had SA as the #1 seed in the West this year. People had them 6-9 before the season started. He has certainly exceeded expectations. That being said, I think Vogel has a really strong case as well and I don't think I would've been too upset had he got it.

mvb815
05-01-2012, 02:34 PM
i think thibbs deserved it more, even managing the spurs players minutes they still have a great looking team compared to what thibbs had without rose. he had guys like cj watson looking like all stars.

i hope the latest rose injury wasn't accounted for when they picked coy

knicks4life33
05-01-2012, 02:35 PM
paul silas shoulda got it

kdspurman
05-01-2012, 02:36 PM
i think thibbs deserved it more, even managing the spurs players minutes they still have a great looking team compared to what thibbs had without rose. he had guys like cj watson looking like all stars.

CJ Watson? You mean the way Danny Green, Gary Neal, and Kawhi Leonard looked great?

felixng2012
05-01-2012, 02:37 PM

I think it has more to do with the fact that he won the award last year. Honestly I think Pops deserves it a bit more. He managed to get top seed in the West and have his players healthy for the playoffs.

kdspurman
05-01-2012, 02:38 PM
I think it has more to do with the fact that he won the award last year. Honestly I think Pops deserves it a bit more. He managed to get top seed in the West and have his players healthy for the playoffs.

Awesome sig man :laugh2:

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Remember when Doc got it 2000 with Orlando with 41-41 record and no playoffs? My my how the criteria has changed. :laugh2:

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-01-2012, 02:41 PM

Pop got the top seed last yr too.

felixng2012
05-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Pop got the top seed last yr too.

But not a healthy roster and the fact that Thibs won it last year hurt his chances this year.

celtNYpatsHeels
05-01-2012, 02:47 PM
I feel like this is a makeup award for all the times he should have won it and did not.

torocan
05-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Of the Coaches that were up for the award, Pops was definitely one of the coaches that deserve it.

Yes, there were multiple contenders, but Pops is about as deserving as the other top candidates in my books.

I doubt there are any that can argue that he wasn't right up there in the consideration even if they had specific coaches that they would have preferred to win that award.

Pops is a great coach. No debate here.

Lo Porto
05-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Remember when Doc got it 2000 with Orlando with 41-41 record and no playoffs? My my how the criteria has changed. :laugh2:

Exactly. I'm sure there were a ton of coaches who had great seasons that year.

However, Corbin winning 36 games with a bunch of no name youngsters in Utah in his first full year as a head coach is a lot more impressive to me that the Spurs winning 50 with their 3 All Stars and many years of experience in a system.

14 of the 16 teams from last year's playoffs are in the playoffs this year. Having a winning system in place helped almost every team in this shortened season. So of course Chicago and San Antonio would once again succeed. Give it to somebody who did something special.

Raph12
05-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Well deserved :clap:

kdspurman
05-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Pop of course giving props to other coaches that did a great job... Monty Williams, Alvin Gentry, Rick Adelman etc... That do a great job of coaching but aren't fortunate enough to make the playoffs. Says it's very humbling

eibbor
05-01-2012, 03:04 PM
I am laughing so hard at your signature!

Funniest sig I've ever seen!

As far as the topic, he deserved it.

kdspurman
05-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Tim said this is the best coaching job Pop has done..

Pops response: Timmy just wants minutes.

Audubon
05-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Between him and Thibs so good choice. Both dealt with injuries and both had best records.

Punk
05-01-2012, 03:08 PM
He deserved it. Nobody expected them to be a Number 1 seed and considering they aren't a good defensive team, yet the still beat teams with ease offensively and with depth.

Joshtd1
05-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Exactly. I'm sure there were a ton of coaches who had great seasons that year.

However, Corbin winning 36 games with a bunch of no name youngsters in Utah in his first full year as a head coach is a lot more impressive to me that the Spurs winning 50 with their 3 All Stars and many years of experience in a system.

14 of the 16 teams from last year's playoffs are in the playoffs this year. Having a winning system in place helped almost every team in this shortened season. So of course Chicago and San Antonio would once again succeed. Give it to somebody who did something special.

Harris, Hayward, Big Al, Milsap, Favors aren't exactly scrubs. And they were an 8th seed...not exactly coach of the year material. Not IMO anyway.

You act like Duncan and Manu are the same all-stars from 5 years ago though, which they aren't obviously. He's made pieces that no one heard of (Neal) and young guys like Leonard and Green fit the system perfectly while managing their minutes. Plus Manu missing pretty much half the season as well.

Anyway I thought Vogel was pretty deserving taking the 8th seeded Pacer last year to 3rd in the East. Vogel/Thibs/Pop were top 3 for me, not in any order though.

AlexTmz2
05-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Well deserved POP! :clap:

eibbor
05-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Harris, Hayward, Big Al, Milsap, Favors aren't exactly scrubs. And they were an 8th seed...not exactly coach of the year material. Not IMO anyway.

You act like Duncan and Manu are the same all-stars from 5 years ago though, which they aren't obviously. He's made pieces that no one heard of (Neal) and young guys like Leonard and Green fit the system perfectly while managing their minutes. Plus Manu missing pretty much half the season as well.

Anyway I thought Vogel was pretty deserving taking the 8th seeded Pacer last year to 3rd in the East. Vogel/Thibs/Pop were top 3 for me, not in any order though.

I agree with ya on the top 3. I'm a Pacer fan but I don't think it's homerism for me to say he definitely would be deserving with what he did.

All 3 did a hell of a job.

Giraffes Rule
05-01-2012, 03:17 PM
There were 3 or 4 coaches this year that could have won this without much controversy. Glad Pop came out with it though, even if it probably means almost nothing to him.

kdspurman
05-01-2012, 03:18 PM
I agree with ya on the top 3. I'm a Pacer fan but I don't think it's homerism for me to say he definitely would be deserving with what he did.

All 3 did a hell of a job.

Definitely. Like I said earlier I wouldn't have been mad if Vogel got it. He's been great

kdspurman
05-01-2012, 03:19 PM
After a 12-9 start, Spurs only lost 7 more games. And threw away I'd say 3-4 of them. Pretty impressive.

Ezio
05-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Funny how everyone is like nobody expected them to be #1 again. Veteran team that got some great young pieces. Heck I thought Timmy was gonna win MVP this year but guess I choose the wrong Spur (TP had a case).

RaiderLakersA's
05-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Respect. One of the best coaches to patrol the sidelines.

thedfactor
05-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Gregg Popovich is a legend. Congrats to him

eddiev22
05-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Best coach in the NBA

love your sig, Funniest sig ever...Lol:laugh2:

justinnum1
05-01-2012, 04:28 PM
No surprise here

BearsBullsSox
05-01-2012, 05:09 PM
This vote was based on politics, Thibs won last year so they screwed him this year. Thibs broke the record for fastest coach to 100 wins this year and STILL didnt get coach of the year. How does that happen? How do you break an NBA record and NOT get coach of the year? What record did Pop break? Absolutely none.

Longhornfan1234
05-01-2012, 05:12 PM
This vote was based on politics, Thibs won last year so they screwed him this year. Thibs broke the record for fastest coach to 100 wins this year and STILL didnt get coach of the year. How does that happen? How do you break an NBA record and NOT get coach of the year? What record did Pop break? Absolutely none.

13 straight 50+ games.

kdspurman
05-01-2012, 07:00 PM
13 straight 50+ games.

:clap: In a 66 game season, while resting players and keeping them fresh for the playoffs

NYMetros
05-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Well deserved. Great coach.

Wade>You
05-01-2012, 07:16 PM
:clap: In a 66 game season, while resting players and keeping them fresh for the playoffsTrue, that's even more impressive.

BUCSFORLIFE123
05-01-2012, 07:53 PM
name another coach that can change his coaching philosophy throughout the years and have his players buy into. or someone that understands how to limit minutes to keep bodies fresh and still tie with the leagues best record. no one thought spurs had a chance this year even with a roster many dont even consider top 6-7 . coach pop's been long overdue for another award

Azzacadabra
05-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Well deserved, not a surprise.

theheatles
05-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Great Choice!

Benching Tim Duncan for being Old should have won him the award anyways

NoahH
05-01-2012, 08:26 PM
:clap: well deserved

blastmasta26
05-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Pop is fantastic.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-01-2012, 10:05 PM
13 straight 50+ games.

Probably don't want to use that argument. It makes it seem more of a lifetime achievement award or something.

If anything, you want to defend Pop for what he did for 2011-12, not previous seasons.

kalveinarthur
05-01-2012, 11:06 PM
No surprise for this coach, he is the best. Bringing the team up. ufo sightings (http://www.latest-ufo-sightings.net/2012/04/ufo-or-orb-over-rome-italy-28-apr-2012.html)

Hustla23
05-01-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm sorry but Thibs got robbed.

shep33
05-02-2012, 01:38 AM
Well deserved :clap:

Patman
05-02-2012, 05:59 AM

Why robbed? Both Coaches have made a good case for them, if Thibs won you could say Pop got robbed.
the spurs lost their arguably best / most important player in Manu, at least if you look at how manu played before the injury. They lost their Backup PG still played their starting PG only 32 mins, rested players and got the same record as the bulls on a harder schedule. At the beginning of the Season the Spurs were projected around 6-7 in the west, after manu wen't down there were questions about the spurs making the playoffs.

nate2usmc
05-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Spurs and Lakers are the only teams who can beat Miami.

Hustla23
05-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Why robbed? Both Coaches have made a good case for them, if Thibs won you could say Pop got robbed.
the spurs lost their arguably best / most important player in Manu, at least if you look at how manu played before the injury. They lost their Backup PG still played their starting PG only 32 mins, rested players and got the same record as the bulls on a harder schedule. At the beginning of the Season the Spurs were projected around 6-7 in the west, after manu wen't down there were questions about the spurs making the playoffs.
Even if Manu went down, the Spurs still had Duncan and Parker, who have played very well this season.

The Bulls lost Rose for a huge portion of the season, and had to roll with Watson and John Lucas.

Despite that, they still maintained the #1 seed.

I'm sorry but it should be Thibs.

felixng2012
05-02-2012, 09:39 AM

Rarely do people win back to back COY. He didn't get robbed.

Patman
05-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Even if Manu went down, the Spurs still had Duncan and Parker, who have played very well this season.

The Bulls lost Rose for a huge portion of the season, and had to roll with Watson and John Lucas.

Despite that, they still maintained the #1 seed.

I'm sorry but it should be Thibs.

Yeah and the spurs Lost manu and had to roll with Dany Green/Leonard. Green played an incredible 207 minutes in 2 Season before this, Leonard is a rookie that didn't have any training camp. Oh and their back up PG was Gary Neal. But hey i know all proven players that you would expect to produce. You act like the Spurs replacement for Manu was some incredible veteran.....

Again you can't speak about robbed, both have a good case and back to back COY are very very unlikely. If you think Thibs deserves it, that's fine, but it's not like that Thibs is the clear cut favorite.

Hustla23
05-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Yeah and the spurs Lost manu and had to roll with Dany Green/Leonard. Green played an incredible 207 minutes in 2 Season before this, Leonard is a rookie that didn't have any training camp. Oh and their back up PG was Gary Neal. But hey i know all proven players that you would expect to produce. You act like the Spurs replacement for Manu was some incredible veteran.....

Again you can't speak about robbed, both have a good case and back to back COY are very very unlikely. If you think Thibs deserves it, that's fine, but it's not like that Thibs is the clear cut favorite.
Yeah, I wasn't talking about just backups. What offensive options do the Spurs have if Manu goes down? Oh that's right. Tim freakin' Duncan and Tony Parker.

Who do the Bulls have? Uh, the likes of Boozer and Deng. Hardly comparable.

Hustla23
05-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Rarely do people win back to back COY. He didn't get robbed.
So what if it's rare? You should care about who deserves it most.

LA_Raiders
05-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Best coach in the game right now. Too bad Lakers are going to beat them in the WCF.

TornadoOfSouls
05-02-2012, 10:56 AM
The people saying Thibodeau got robbed are ********. Look at the stats:

Record vs .500 opponents:

Spurs: 31-11
Bulls: 24-12

Record vs Playoff Teams:

Spurs: 26-9

SOS(Strength of Schedule):

Spurs: .508
Bulls: .493(lol Eastern Conference)

RPI(Relative Percent Index):

Spurs: .570
Bulls: .559

Also, it should be noted that Pop TANKED games to rest his starters. He played none of the big three in the away loss to Portland or the away loss to Utah. So, technically, SA might have finished with an even better record if he played all available players.

kdspurman
05-02-2012, 11:15 AM
The people saying Thibodeau got robbed are ********. Look at the stats:

Record vs .500 opponents:

Spurs: 31-11

Record vs Playoff Teams:

Spurs: 26-9

SOS(Strength of Schedule):

Spurs: .508
Bulls: .493(lol Eastern Conference)

RPI(Relative Percent Index):

Spurs: .570
Bulls: .559

Also, it should be noted that Pop TANKED games to rest his starters. He played none of the big three in the away loss to Portland or the away loss to Utah. So, technically, SA might have finished with an even better record if he played all available players.

Good stuff...

Lo Porto
05-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Funny how Pop can win a lifetime achievement Coach of the Year award but Jerry Sloan never could. It's about as hypocritic as Tim Duncan being called a PF. Why don't we call Tony Parker a SF since he'd have a better chance of going down as a top 10 SF all time than a top 10 PG all time.

Coach of the Year should have gone to Vogel or Corbin. They did more with less. End of story.

kdspurman
05-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Funny how Pop can win a lifetime achievement Coach of the Year award but Jerry Sloan never could. It's about as hypocritic as Tim Duncan being called a PF. Why don't we call Tony Parker a SF since he'd have a better chance of going down as a top 10 SF all time than a top 10 PG all time.

Coach of the Year should have gone to Vogel or Corbin. They did more with less. End of story.

My guess is your a Jazz fan as you sound somewhat bitter.

Tim Duncan whatever position you want to have him at is better than Malone. End of story.

As far as Sloan, definitely think he should have gotten at least 1 or 2 in his time.

Pop winning has nothing to do with a lifetime achievement award. It's what he's done this year, keeping his players healthy, resting guys, developing young guys, and gaining the top seed in the tougher conference without even trying especially when no one thought they would be a top 5 team let alone a 50 win team in a 66 game season.

What Corbin and Vogel have done are impressive. I think Vogel has a stronger case than Corbin because he's got his team as the 3rd seed.

Jdawg
05-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Did yall see Pop receive is award tonight? Such a class act. Tried to give trophy to Duncan, Robinson and then his staff. But nobody would take it. LOL.

Also, thought it was cool hearing Pop's and Tony's convo about minutes. Anybody else catch that?

Bruno
05-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Congrats to Pop. kinda absurd that he only has two considering how many times SAS had lead the league.

Giraffes Rule
05-02-2012, 09:39 PM
This thread is absurd. Before the season everyone was saying that the Spurs (Duncan especially) were too and that tehy were done, then Pop completely overhauls the rotation and bench from last year, manages his stars minutes, and survives losing Manu for close to half the season and people wanna say that the Spurs had too many good players and doesn't deserve it.

Pick one, ya dingus.

Drewlius
05-02-2012, 09:42 PM

STFU, you do not get to make a moronic post & attempt to solidify said moronic post, with this ********. GFY.

willabeast77
05-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Popovich deserved it and it isn't a surprise him winning. He has a lot of reasons to back up the claim. Thibideau came in 2nd but he didn't get robbed like people are claiming.
- Manu played less games than DrRose this year 33 to 38
- The Spurs gave away 2 games: Against the Blazers and the other one against the Jazz (I wouldn't use this as an excuse, just want to let you know that it happened)
- The Spurs play in a much better conference and division;
Spurs record against western conference teams: 33-13(71%) against eastern conference teams: 15-3(83%)
Bulls record against western conference teams: 12-6(66%) against the eastern conference teams: 36-10(78%)
The spurs have better winning percentage against teams from both conference.