PDA

View Full Version : Kobe's 6th

dh144498
05-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Is this Kobe's final chance to chase his 6th while getting the FMvp? Or do you think he has more chances the next 2 years or so.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Is this Kobe's final chance to chase his 6th while getting the FMvp? Or do you think he has more chances the next 2 years or so.

He's too old to do anything. Afterall, ESPN ranked him the 7th best player in the league, everyone saying he's done and a glorified chucker so.....

felixng2012
05-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Not his final chance but maybe his best chance. He is only getting older. Still playing at a high level though.

davids22
05-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Kobe is just one of those guys who no matter what team he plays for, they're going to be a top seed in the West. With the exception of the mid 2000s, Kobe's teams have always been relevant. Any team he's on is going to be a contender, it just depends how they play in the playoffs. I'd say this years Laker team is better than last years with Bynum emerging as a dominant big.

To answer your question, no I don't think this is his last year to win a ring, but his clock is ticking. If he ever wanted to pass MJ and get 7 rings, getting his 6th this year is crucial.

EDIT: Kobe is still playing at an elite-level but he will need to rely on his teammate more and more as the years go on if they want to win a title. He can't shoot 30 shots a game to a title anymore.

mvb815
05-01-2012, 02:31 PM
depends, if chris paul came to the lakers this year they would be the clear cut favorites out of the west. who knows what transactions are in store for the lakers in the coming years. kobe's production will only take a slight hit anyway.

kblo247
05-01-2012, 02:32 PM
This laker big 3 can win any year as long as the role guys hit the 3 at a decent clip

kdspurman
05-01-2012, 02:44 PM
As long as he's in the league he'll have a chance. It would help to add some more firepower off the bench that's for sure. But it's not his last chance that's for sure.

ManningToTyree
05-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Not the last chance, but the window is closing.

Raph12
05-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Depends on Bynum's development, if Bynum can take the next step into "superstardom" then it will counter the decline of Kobe and Pau, to an extent.

natelpete
05-01-2012, 03:09 PM
This is probably his last chance to win a FMVP, but definately not his last chance to win another ring.

RaiderLakersA's
05-01-2012, 03:20 PM
This is probably his last chance to win a FMVP, but definately not his last chance to win another ring.

Agree with this.

And for those naysayers, haters and doubters out there, it's completely fine if Kobe never wins another Finals MVP, as long as he has a hand in the Lakers winning another title. It is a positive sign when someone else rises to the occasion in the Finals. Take the Showtime Lakers for example. Magic wasn't awarded FMVP for each of the 5 rings that he has, and it didn't dim his star one bit.

Can't tell you how thrilled I would be if Bynum, Pau, Sessions or whomever plays out of this world great in the Finals. It doesn't have to be Kobe in my book; it never had to be just Kobe. People who believe that are on some "Jordan Crack" or something and severely deluded. This is a team sport and I want all of the players to succeed.

Swashcuff
05-01-2012, 03:44 PM
I've learned not to count Kobe Bryant out. I really can't say if this is his last chance or not to be honest. My heart tells me it isn't.

Lakerfan8032
05-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Not his final chance but maybe his best chance. He is only getting older. Still playing at a high level though.

Nice sig.

Cal827
05-01-2012, 03:50 PM
OK, I don't mean to piss off Kobe fans when I say the following, but I think his chances at FMVP are virtually done. If they do get to the NBA finals this year, they probably will have to face Miami (srry Chicago, but I highly doubt you guys make it without Rose, but we will see). Miami has Dwayne Wade: Wade and Kobe would likely wash each other out. If LA were to win the title, they probably would have to attack the main weakness of Miami: their front court. Now Gasol and Bosh would probably wash each other too.

Bynum on the other hand would have to deal with Joel/Turiaf/Bosh (occasionally) and Eddie Curry. He could very well dominate all of them. With his improvement this season (not just not getting injured), I can very well see him winning FMVP if the Lakers are able to win the title.

SpaceJamJordans
05-01-2012, 03:56 PM
They're gonna give it to him anyhow lol

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-01-2012, 04:37 PM
OK, I don't mean to piss off Kobe fans when I say the following, but I think his chances at FMVP are virtually done. If they do get to the NBA finals this year, they probably will have to face Miami (srry Chicago, but I highly doubt you guys make it without Rose, but we will see). Miami has Dwayne Wade: Wade and Kobe would likely wash each other out. If LA were to win the title, they probably would have to attack the main weakness of Miami: their front court. Now Gasol and Bosh would probably wash each other too.

Bynum on the other hand would have to deal with Joel/Turiaf/Bosh (occasionally) and Eddie Curry. He could very well dominate all of them. With his improvement this season (not just not getting injured), I can very well see him winning FMVP if the Lakers are able to win the title.

No man, I totally agree with you. If we face Miami in the finals, it's not Kobe that will be the difference maker, it will be Andrew Bynum leading us to a victory in that series, the championship and the Finals MVP.

Kobe knows that Miami can essentially throw 4 guys at him in LeBron, Wade, Battier (who guards him well with the hand in the face crap that he does), and Mike Miller.

Kobe's better served picking and choosing his spots when it comes to his own offense.

If I'm Kobe, I concentrate on getting easy baskets down low for Bynum and Gasol, penetrating and kicking out to Blake and Barnes, and playing shutdown defense on Dwyane "glass" Wade. Let MWP take care of LeBron.

Bosh and Gasol will go back and forth against each other, and the 2 guys that benefit from all of this are Sessions and Bynum. Those 2 youngsters will be the x-factors to beating the Heat for the championship.

I would love to see Drew get Finals MVP! :clap:

8kobe24
05-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Kobe will always want the FMVP. But at this stage of his career with his maturity and all, he will not jeopardize winning that 6th championship just for the sake of winning FMVP. If the Lakers and heat meet in the finals, I am confident that Kobe will adjust to how he is being guarded by the defense.

dh144498
05-01-2012, 05:26 PM
so would you guys say Bynum's now the xfactor for the Lakers in the playoffs or is it still Kobe?

shep33
05-01-2012, 05:27 PM
I actually think he'll have a better chance in the next two years. Really think LA will try and stack up their bench (worst in the NBA this year statistically).