PDA

View Full Version : 2012 NBA ReDraft 1st Round - #3) Washington Wizards vs. #6) Orlando Magic

KnicksorBust
04-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Welcome to the 2012 NBA ReDraft voting process. The redraft is exactly how it sounds. The rosters of every NBA team are cleared and then drafted again from scratch. Posters from the site draft full rosters under a salary cap and then there is a voting process to make the playoffs. We are now in the playoffs and the head to head matchups have begun. Please remember to vote for the roster and write-up you believe would win a 7 game series and leave any of your personal preference for the real teams out of your decision. Thank you and enjoy the playoffs!

Wizards:
PG: Jose Calderon - Daniel Gibson - Gilbert Arenas
SG: Avery Bradley - Leandro Barbosa - Gilbert Arenas
SF: Wilson Chandler - Dominic McGuire - Avery Bradley
PF: Kevin Garnett - Jason Smith - Ivan Johnson
C: Andrew Bynum - Timofey Mosgov - Kevin Garnett

Magic:
PG: Ty Lawson/Derek Fisher
SG: Manu Ginobili/Daequan Cook/Alec Burks
SF: Mike Dunleavy/Alonzo Gee
PF: Carlos Boozer/Udonis Haslem
C: Marcus Camby/Byron Mullens/Eddy Curry

DEPTH CHART:
PG: Ty Lawson (38)/Derek Fisher (10)
SG: Manu Ginobili: (38)/Daequan Cook (10)/Alec Burks (0)
SF: Mike Dunleavy (34)/Alonzo Gee (14)
PF: Carlos Boozer (32)/Udonis Haslem (16)
C: Marcus Camby (28)/Udonis Haslem (14)/Byron Mullens (6)/Eddy Curry (0)

First off I would like to congratulate unleashthebeast and Raps 08-09 Champ for making the first round of the playoffs as the number three seed. However, despite having home court advantage there postseason experience will be short lived due to the Orlando Magicís guard play, team chemistry, and just an overall better team. The Wizards are a very flawed basketball team, and while no doubt they have a great down low duo in Kevin Garnett and Andrew Bynum they unfortunately have nobody on the perimeter that can create their own shot to help ease the load off of the two big men.

With the 3 guys on the perimeter being Jose Calderon, Avery Bradley and Wilson Chandler in one word is mediocre. With a team that is reliant on two big men to handle the load just simply will not work if they have nobody who can create their own shot. Wilson Chandler in the 8 games he played this season shot under 40% from the field and 25% from 3. Avery Bradley has been the flavor of the month and has been incredible. However, in such a shortened season where Avery Bradley only averaged over 20 minutes in 1 month pre April, had fresh legs and ultimately I believe it helped his performance. The kid is legit no doubt, but I donít think he could keep his prediction up for an entire season and without Rajon Rondo creating and getting Avery open looks, he simply wonít be as good.

The Magic will be relying on team defense and simply making the wings of the Wizards try to beat us. With Kevin Garnett being primarily a jump shooter, Boozerís defense will not be as exploited, and then with Udonis Haslem spelling him off the bench, we feel KG can be limited. In fact since Boozer has joined the Bulls, the Celtics and Bulls have played 6 times with Boozer outplaying KG 5 of those times.

Player Date Tm Opp GS MP FG FGA FG% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS

Carlos Boozer 12/3/10 CHI @ BOS L 1 21:12 4 10 0.4 4 6 0.667 0 2 2 0 2 0 2 3 12
Kevin Garnett 12/3/10 BOS CHI W 1 33:11:00 7 11 0.636 6 6 1 0 17 17 6 2 1 0 1 20
Carlos Boozer 4/7/11 CHI BOS W 1 35:38:00 6 16 0.375 2 3 0.667 1 11 12 2 1 1 2 4 14
Kevin Garnett 4/7/11 BOS @ CHI L 1 30:18:00 3 9 0.333 4 4 1 0 10 10 2 2 0 1 0 10
Carlos Boozer 1/13/12 CHI @ BOS W 1 34:10:00 6 10 0.6 0 0 0 8 8 5 1 0 3 4 12
Kevin Garnett 1/13/12 BOS CHI L 1 33:52:00 4 11 0.364 0 0 1 6 7 0 0 0 2 3 8
Carlos Boozer 2/12/12 CHI @ BOS L 1 34:45:00 9 16 0.563 4 4 1 0 7 7 0 1 0 4 5 22
Kevin Garnett 2/12/12 BOS CHI W 1 28:41:00 5 8 0.625 3 4 0.75 0 12 12 3 0 4 3 2 13
Carlos Boozer 2/16/12 CHI BOS W 1 34:36:00 11 15 0.733 1 3 0.333 0 15 15 5 0 0 3 2 23
Kevin Garnett 2/16/12 BOS @ CHI L 1 32:00:00 7 13 0.538 4 4 1 3 7 10 2 2 1 2 3 18
Carlos Boozer 4/5/12 CHI BOS W 1 33:18:00 5 12 0.417 2 4 0.5 2 12 14 3 0 0 2 3 12
Kevin Garnett 4/5/12 BOS @ CHI L 1 37:57:00 5 16 0.313 2 2 1 1 13 14 4 0 0 3 4 12

Udonis Haslem will also be spelling Marcus Camby with Byron Mullens playing about 6 minutes at center, Udonis will be the primarily big men off the bench for both guys, and he could limit both KG and Bynum when he is on them.

On offense for the Magic we have a very well balanced approach. Manu Ginobili will be the main creater with Ty Lawson and Dunleavy being able to hit 3ís on the outside along with Boozer being the primarily post option who can also hit a mid range jump shot. Ultimately we have a lot of ways we can score the basketball, which is just something Washington can not say. Ty and Manu can both handle the ball and get to the hoop, as well as hit the 3 ball with Manu at over 41% and Ty over 36% and Dunleavy over 40%.

Both our bench and the Wizards bench are average and neither ultimately has the advantage over each other. However, we do got 5 rings!!!!!!

Overall, the Magic are just simply a better well constructed team who can exploit the flaws of the Wizards and despite not having home court, the Magic should win this series.

Wizards write-up:
First off, I would like to congratulate Baller on making his Magic a competitive team. He started with a pretty bad pick, and made the best of it to create a playoff caliber roster. However, I firmly believe that my team will win this matchup because of stellar defense at 4 out of 5 positions, as well as dominant bigs on the offensive end.

PG: Jose Calderon vs Ty Lawson-
This matchup features 2 superb offensive talents. Calderon is one of the best in the league at decision making on the offensive end, and always passes the ball to the right man. He will be feeding my bigs on a consistent basis, and when they are doubled, they may be able to kick it out to Calderon for an open 3pt shot, something that he thrives in. Lawson is a more talented player here, but Calderon does a lot for my offense, and will have the ball in his hands a lot, always making the right decision with the ball.

SG: Avery Bradley vs Manu Ginobli-
This is a huge matchup for this series. Manu is a great offensive talent, BUT, Avery Bradley has burst onto the scene as one of the top 3 or 4 wing defenders in the entire game. Whenever Manu is in the game, Avery Bradley will be in the game as well, sticking to Manu like glue. This is one of my key advantages in this series, because I have a top 3 wing defender to place on the Magicís best player at all times, forcing Manu to make mistakes and force bad shots on the offensive end.

SF: Wilson Chandler vs Mike Dunleavy-
The most boring matchup of this series, by far. Chandler is a very good defender, and while Dunleavy has been solid on the offensive end this year, I firmly believe that this matchup is even and will have almost no impact on this series. Chandlerís ability to get out into the open court could play a factor at times during this series though.

PF: Kevin Garnett vs Carlos Boozer-
The 2nd largest advantage for my team in this series. KG is probably the best PF defender in the entire game, and I will have him on Boozer for the entire series. This gives me 2 of the best defenders in the entire NBA on 2 of their 3 best players. KG will minimize Boozerís impact in this series to almost nothing on the offensive end. On the defensive end Boozer will also have trouble. There is a reason that Taj Gibson gets so many minutes for the Bulls, and that is because Boozer is at times lazy on the defensive end, and also undersized. While Boozer is caught sleeping, KG will be able to knock down his automatic open jumpers, and post up the undersized Boozer at times as well.

C: Andrew Bynum vs Marcus Camby-
This matchup right here is the main reason that I will win this series. Bynum has proven himself to be a capable number one option this year while Kobe was injured, and will be fed the ball a ton in this series. He also has the best numbers in the league in the clutch time of each game. He is being covered by 38 year old (yes, 38 years old!) Marcus Camby. Not only is Cambyís old self declining heavily, but at his age he can only play about 23 minutes per game. I plan on playing Bynum 36 minutes per game, so who will be on Bynum the other 13 minutes, Mullens? Needless to say, Bynum will dominate either of those centers and will be the reason that the Wizards win this series.

Bench: Neither of our benches are stellar, but I do have Leandro Barbosa that I can count on at times to put the ball in the hoop. He will be my 6th man and will see a decent amount of minutes, and provide me another layer to my offense.

KnicksorBust
04-30-2012, 09:06 PM
There is a lot to consider but to me this comes down to:

Do you believe in Andrew Bynum?

I do and I love that a true PG like Calderon will be feeding him. Plus I love the defense of the Wizards at the 2-4-5 spots (by far the most important defensive positions).

Wizards get my vote.

Reyes6
04-30-2012, 09:08 PM
I actually have to go with the Magic here, I'm not 100% sold on Avery Bradley and I think Camby is still a great defender and worthy of a starting position regardless of his age.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-30-2012, 09:20 PM
I like the Wizards here.

unleashthebeast
04-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Let the voting begin :nod:

Mile High Champ
04-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Close match up but at the end of the day the interior presence of the Wiz is simply too much to overlook.

Mr. Baller
04-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Should be close. Good luck Wizards :cheers:

Mr. Baller
04-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Also remember we have 5 rings on the bench!

VCaintdead17
04-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Well first off, Wilson Chandler is NOT a good defender. Dunleavy should play pretty well against him offensively and defensively as well, considering how awful Chandler has been scoring wise this year.

Lawson would take Calderon to school, and as history shows, Boozer is fully capable of playing well against KG. Bynum should be able to handle Camby pretty well, but other than that, I think the Wizards will have trouble scoring, and their D isn't good enough to make up for it.

Orlando in 5.

unleashthebeast
04-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Where is Lawson going to take Calderon? Lawson's key asset is driving. Is he driving into my bigs? He has no chance with KG and Bynum waiting for him. This was shown in yesterdays game where he had 4 of his shots blocked by bynum.

Boozer at this point in his career will have a very very small offensive impact against the best defensive PF in the game.

My defense will be setting up my offense in this series.

Mr. Baller
04-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Where is Lawson going to take Calderon? Lawson's key asset is driving. Is he driving into my bigs? He has no chance with KG and Bynum waiting for him. This was shown in yesterdays game where he had 4 of his shots blocked by bynum.

Boozer at this point in his career will have a very very small offensive impact against the best defensive PF in the game.

Did you even look at the chart in my writeup?

Chacarron
04-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Bynum has never been hotter than now. I'll make my vote after the Thunder game.

unleashthebeast
04-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Did you even look at the chart in my writeup?

Yes and in the majority of those games KG was playing center and therefore covering Noah, so those stats are not accurate.

Mr. Baller
04-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Yes and in the majority of those games KG was playing center and therefore covering Noah, so those stats are not accurate.

No he wasn't, he hasn't started center till near the end of the year

unleashthebeast
04-30-2012, 10:31 PM
No he wasn't, he hasn't started center till near the end of the year

He has started at center for the majority of this year i'm pretty sure.

felixng2012
04-30-2012, 10:31 PM
KG + Andrew Bynum. I don't see why people are voting for the Magic. Someone explain?

VCaintdead17
04-30-2012, 10:32 PM

Not really. Lawson is also a great spot up shooter and great as the P&R Ball handler. I don't think you realize how good of a season Lawson is having.

Mr. Baller
04-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Not really. Lawson is also a great spot up shooter and great as the P&R Ball handler. I don't think you realize how good of a season Lawson is having.

This. Don't base your opinion of Lawson off 1 game

unleashthebeast
04-30-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm not, but what I am saying is accurate. Lawson's key attribute is his ability to drive, no one would argue with that. My bigs would severely inhibit his ability to use this skill, and will cause him to have a much smaller impact on this series than what you guys think.

Corey
04-30-2012, 10:43 PM

Wrong. KG covers Boozer a majority of the game when the Celtics play the Bulls.

unleashthebeast
04-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Wrong. KG covers Boozer a majority of the game when the Celtics play the Bulls.

Every game this year? And boozer has been outplaying KG?

Regardless, KG would be putting up better offensive numbers in this series because he would see the ball a lot more than he does on the Celtics team.

The_Jamal
04-30-2012, 11:00 PM

Regardless, KG would be putting up better offensive numbers in this series because he would see the ball a lot more than he does on the Celtics team.

That's totally faulty logic. KG isn't near the same player he once was and I have major doubts that he could succeed without the help of Pierce, Rondo, Allen at this point in his career. The same goes for Bynum carrying a team without Kobe/Pau.

I'll wait for a bit more debate, but the Wizards have far too many questions for me to see them as a successful team. It's hard not to like the Magic in this series with them dominating the perimeter at the 1-2-3, Boozer in a PnR game with Manu/Lawson+Success vs KG+ me not buying Bynum being able to carry a team offensively by himself. He would literally have to be a 25+ PPG guy for this team to succeed

Sadds The Gr8
04-30-2012, 11:03 PM
I think the Wiz' size overwhelms the Magic and they dominate the paint. Wiz in 6.

Catfish1314
04-30-2012, 11:03 PM
To be fair, Manu and Boozer have never led their teams anywhere either. They're also not spring chickens anymore.

unleashthebeast
04-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Bynum is the best player in this series. Who is going to carry the Magic, Manu? Do you really think that he can be a successful #1 guy with Bradley covering him, and instead of having Parker and Duncan he now has Lawson and Boozer? I just don't see the logic there.

Anyways I am off to bed, will continue to talk in the morning.

PS: All voters, please read the write-ups :nod:

The_Jamal
04-30-2012, 11:04 PM
To be fair, Manu and Boozer have never led their teams anywhere either. They're also not spring chickens anymore.

You could argue Manu was the most important piece on those Spurs championship teams over Duncan.

Catfish1314
04-30-2012, 11:08 PM
You could argue Manu was the most important piece on those Spurs championship teams over Duncan.

Could you? Yes. I would enjoy delving into the intelligence of anyone brave enough to argue that.

I'm not trying to rob Manu of any credit, but as the focal point of an offense he really hasn't proved that much more than Bynum. The same can be said of Boozer.

I still haven't decided who wins this series. The Wizards are so stout defensively, but offensively they are almost too frontloaded. The Magic are more balanced (offensively, they're fantastic), but nowhere near as strong defensively.

Sadds The Gr8
04-30-2012, 11:10 PM

no...

Corey
04-30-2012, 11:11 PM

Yep. KG guards the player that is a bigger threat on offense. Bass guards the other.

The_Jamal
04-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Whoops forgot that important "last" word. The Spurs title in 07.

:worthy: I apologize Timmy!

Raps08-09 Champ
04-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Ty Lawson's stats against the Lakers this season

vs. LA Lakers
4 Games
33.3 MPG
4.5-11.3 FGM-FGA
.400 FG%
0.5-2.5 3FGM-3FGA
.200 3FG%
2.8-3.8 FTM-FTA
.733 FT%
0.8 ORPG
2.3 DRPG
3.0 RPG
7.5 APG
1.5 SPG
1.0 FPG
2.5 TPG
12.3 PPG

They had Fisher guarding him for 3 of those 4 games this season. Fisher is barely an upgrade, if any, at all from Calderon on defense. While Lawson can probably get past both Calderon or Fisher, the reason Lawson was so limited was because of Bynum and Gasol's defense inside. Considering we have an even better defender in Garnett, how does Ty Lawson expect to score with his limited and streaky jump shot?

Mr. Baller
04-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Bynum is the best player in this series. Who is going to carry the Magic, Manu? Do you really think that he can be a successful #1 guy with Bradley covering him, and instead of having Parker and Duncan he now has Lawson and Boozer? I just don't see the logic there.

Anyways I am off to bed, will continue to talk in the morning.

PS: All voters, please read the write-ups :nod:

I love Bradley but you're overrating him just a tad

ugafan
04-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Ivan Johnson is all I needed to read.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-01-2012, 03:30 AM
Will think about this some more.

unleashthebeast
05-01-2012, 06:49 AM
I love Bradley but you're overrating him just a tad

I never said that he was a great player, but his one on one defense is one of the best at his position. He would stick Manu this entire series, giving him a very hard time to develop much of a rhythm on the offensive end.

Mile High Champ
05-02-2012, 07:48 AM
Bump for more votes.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Bump for more votes.

x2