PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Amare Such A Bad Player Now?

MetroMan
04-30-2012, 08:27 PM
this guy use to be very good. now he looks like he cant do anything. he barely can move at all

blahblahyoutoo
04-30-2012, 08:32 PM
his career revolved around his athleticism and when that's gone, well... you're witnessing what happens.

Fnom11
04-30-2012, 08:34 PM
All he does is get dunks and that's about 2-3 a game.

netsgiantsyanks
04-30-2012, 08:41 PM
injuries, he's getting old, about to turn 30 this year. knicks weren't wise when the gave him that huge contract IMO. 5 years ago, then i could understand. but at this point? looks like a bad business move.

Bruno
04-30-2012, 08:44 PM
he needs a PG to feed him. Melo/Amare is the worst 'star paring' in the NBA in regards to compatibility. he did great last year before the Melo trade. Age and injuries is secondary to the PG situation.

netsgiantsyanks
04-30-2012, 08:50 PM
^that too. he had nash for most of his career, felton was doing pretty good, and now he doesn't have jack. imagine if NY could pull nash this summer...knick fans would be going ape ****.

SportsAndrew25
04-30-2012, 08:51 PM
He is not healthy at the moment.

thekmp211
04-30-2012, 08:51 PM
he can still jump, but he lost that first step that made him a nightmare when he faced up in the post. now you can just get up on his jumper because he isn't quick enough to drive. that has really killed his iso game, along with a complete lack of pick and roll game devoted to getting him the ball.

keep in mind he was getting MVP buzz when he and felton were the focal points of the offense. he is redundant with melo, who is a much more versatile player on the perimeter.

it's equal parts a deterioration in athletic ability, but not as bad as advertised, combined with having to figure out how to second fiddle with melo

4 POINT PLAY LJ
04-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Cause defense creates offense, and as you know he plays no D

Sactown
04-30-2012, 09:00 PM
He is not healthy at the moment.

Just like T-Mac :shrug:... See what I'm getting at

asandhu23
04-30-2012, 09:21 PM
he is over the hill.

PleaseBeNice
04-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Because Cancermelo Anthony aka blackhole aka me first is on his team.

Kashmir13579
04-30-2012, 09:38 PM
A combination of 'Melo and his bulging disc that he is currently playing through. 'Melo messed with Stat's groove before the back injury though.

Kashmir13579
04-30-2012, 09:40 PM
he needs a PG to feed him. Melo/Amare is the worst 'star paring' in the NBA in regards to compatibility. he did great last year before the Melo trade. Age and injuries is secondary to the PG situation.

Yes dude. Amar'e never worked in an iso offense and never was good at creating shots for himself.

Swashcuff
04-30-2012, 09:45 PM
What Bruno87 and thekmp211 said.

Hoopsadvocate
04-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Like a bunch of HEAT fans said during the 2010 FA.

Amare was overrated. Plain and simple.

There is a reason riley chose bosh over him. He isnt a good all around basketball player and doesnt have the IQ and mental ability to adjust his game. Bosh proved he can adjust and isnt just a scorer he can be what his team needs him to be and can adapt his game and learn new skills maybe hes not the force amare is but id rather have a smart all around good player whos occasionally off than a aggressive stubborn injury prone player.

Hell even d wade who played a similar game with aggressive athelticism adjusted and knows what to do and tries to learn new and different ways to help his team than just score. Hes not a superstar hell hes barely a star any more.

Called it in 2010 it would come back to bite the knicks in the butt.

JC_
04-30-2012, 09:53 PM

^this.

king2218
04-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Think the Nets would do a Carmelo and Lin swap for Deron Williams, if Williams says he won't sign with them? I think both teams would benefit greatly from this trade. This trade would help STAT get back into his pick n roll game.

justinnum1
04-30-2012, 09:55 PM

Bingo. He needs an elite PG.

and him and melo dont fit well together.

Swashcuff
04-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Because Cancermelo Anthony aka blackhole aka me first is on his team.

Why are every single one of your posts so horrible.

Swashcuff
04-30-2012, 09:59 PM

There is a reason riley chose bosh over him. He isnt a good all around basketball player and doesnt have the IQ and mental ability to adjust his game. Bosh proved he can adjust and isnt just a scorer he can be what his team needs him to be and can adapt his game and learn new skills maybe hes not the force amare is but id rather have a smart all around good player whos occasionally off than a aggressive stubborn injury prone player.

Hell even d wade who played a similar game with aggressive athelticism adjusted and knows what to do and tries to learn new and different ways to help his team than just score. Hes not a superstar hell hes barely a star any more.

Basically none of this is true.

The Final Boss
04-30-2012, 10:02 PM
this guy use to be very good. now he looks like he cant do anything. he barely can move at all

He was never "very good". The player was overrated to begin with so his play falling off looks significant. If a super star declines he'll be mediocre to good and still have production to a degree. If a mediocre player declines he looks like a scrub. This is what happened to the player.

The Flash
04-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Amare punched a wall in the lockeroom and cut his hand

knicksfan42
04-30-2012, 10:03 PM

You forgot: he can't ****ing play defense, rebound, display a modicum of effort.

JPHX
04-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Suns training staff warned this would happen. Exactly why we didnt resign him. Bad knees are now affecting his back. this is the main reason.

YashBoone
04-30-2012, 10:06 PM
It not just melo, it's chandler.
Chandler and amare play The same position ( although I know amare is technically a pf)....

Amare has become expendable because he now has to reinvent his entire game just to fit in, and woody refuses to bring him off the bench.

And he always played better when being fed the ball in his sweet spots.

But our whole game is now ISo

The Final Boss
04-30-2012, 10:08 PM
This is what happens when you're surrounded by scrubs who can't make you look good the way Nash could.

shizzle09
04-30-2012, 10:17 PM
probably has something to do with those corn rows.

TheNumber37
04-30-2012, 10:20 PM
I want to live in a world where we Amnestied Amare and Kept Billups.

felixng2012
04-30-2012, 10:24 PM
I want to live in a world where we Amnestied Amare and Kept Billups.

Me too. :facepalm:

Catfish1314
04-30-2012, 10:28 PM

Does any acknowledgement of Pat Riley's brilliance (which in your application, doesn't really make sense) belong in this thread?

Regardless, it has been sad to watch Amar'e lately. This guy had some ridiculous playoff games against the premier interior defender of the decade only a few years ago. And before anyone says it, Steve Nash was hardly the sole reason for that. D'Antoni rode him too hard last year and at the start of this year. He's playing hurt and it shows.

I think it's worth mentioning though that his production on the court tonight was nothing to scoff at. 18 points on 9 shots to go along with 7 boards isn't a bad performance.

thekmp211
04-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Does any acknowledgement of Pat Riley's brilliance (which in your application, doesn't really make sense) belong in this thread?

Regardless, it has been sad to watch Amar'e lately. This guy had some ridiculous playoff games against the premier interior defender of the decade only a few years ago. And before anyone says it, Steve Nash was hardly the sole reason for that. D'Antoni rode him too hard last year and at the start of this year. He's playing hurt and it shows.

I think it's worth mentioning though that his production on the court tonight was nothing to scoff at. 18 points on 9 shots to go along with 7 boards isn't a bad performance.

2005 WCF. he averaged like 35 ppg against duncan and was just taking it to him, that was awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NBA_Playoffs#Conference_Finals:_.281.29_Phoen ix_Suns_vs._.282.29_San_Antonio_Spurs

he's not done, just on a team with very little use for his set of skills.

felixng2012
04-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Stat isn't done but he does not fit our team and he is a shell of his former self. Don't get me wrong he was ABSURDLY good offensively on the Suns and no it was not all Nash but he is nowhere near as good as he used to be, he does not fit well, his contract sucks, and he can't play D.

NoahH
04-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Because he punches fire extinguishers

oak2455
04-30-2012, 10:52 PM
its the Braids:D

Raph12
04-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Two microfracture surgeries can do that to you when you rely so heavily on athleticism... Also, he's a finisher and he doesn't have a PG who could create for him like Nash used to.

LakersIn5
05-01-2012, 01:40 AM
he and the knicks were playing well without melo. remember last season when he revived the knicks. and during the linsanity he and lin were playing well together until melo came.

lkingratedr
05-01-2012, 02:13 AM
Amare isn't horrible he still gave a solid game the fact he isn't doing it explosively is what people are mad at ... This knicks team is all banged up from melo to amare top to bottom only healthy people are Douglas Jordan fields smith and novak everyone else injured or was hurt so its like until we all healthy with a good training camp under our belts ill reserve judgement on amare

JayW_1023
05-01-2012, 07:59 AM
He is borderline all-star now. He is declining really, really fast.

Vincent33
05-01-2012, 08:27 AM
I wonder if part of the reason was Dantoni playing Amare and his chronically injured knees, that he should've been keenly aware of since he coached him at Phoenix for like 6yrs, at nearly 40min/game for the first half of the season last year.

Knicks21
05-01-2012, 08:32 AM
Two microfracture surgeries can do that to you when you rely so heavily on athleticism... Also, he's a finisher and he doesn't have a PG who could create for him like Nash used to.

It has nothing to do with this, age is catching up to him not his previous knee surgeries.

king4day
05-01-2012, 08:39 AM
I guarantee you if you put him in a system that fits him again, like the Suns, he'd be an allstar.
Everyone ignores the fact that he's on a team that no longer revolves around him. Melo is the man on that team. Washington should try and deal Nene and change for him this offseason. Add him on top of whatever pick you get and he'd be back on top and that team would be scary good.

thekmp211
05-01-2012, 08:52 AM
it's his back that is currently ailing him.

guys, go look at some amare dunks. when he gets an open shot he can still elevate and throw it down pretty well.

it's his lateral quickness that has made him go from a pretty good to pretty terrible isolation player. for next season, the knicks might be best served to think hard about a lin/amare super-bench that lives on pick and rolls. i think that would be the most effective use of both talents, frankly, while still allowing melo to do ... whatever it is he apparently does so well.

BKLYNpigeon
05-01-2012, 09:05 AM
I wouldnt say he's bad now. they are just not maximizing his talents in NY.

Amare was great off the pick and roll with Nash, in PHX.

Before the Melo trade, Amare was balling.

when Melo was injured he was balling with Lin.

Mike Woodson's offense is more one on one isolations w/ ball movement. that just makes Amare a jump shooter and he's best when he's attacking the rim. I just dont see how Melo and Amare can co-exist.

ne3xchamps
05-01-2012, 09:20 AM
the knicks will regret that huge contract they gave him. they won't be able to trade him and it will cripple their salary cap for years to come.

But to answer the question it seems as though he has lost something in his agility and mobility. It sucks too, cause he was one of my favorite players and to see him fall off just sucks.

LongIslandIcedZ
05-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Is Raymond Felton elite?

jimm120
05-01-2012, 09:33 AM
he and the knicks were playing well without melo. remember last season when he revived the knicks. and during the linsanity he and lin were playing well together until melo came.

I don't know what u saw.

Knicks started 3-8. Then they went 13-1. But then they were 12-17. After getting melo, they were 14-14.

The Knicks were not "revived" they were better than 2009 2008...but they were still losing.

This year, with melo,....once the main problem (dantoni) was out of the way, the Knicks were 18-6(and yea they played good teams, not bad teams like during the Linsanitu run).

Main problem in the playoffs is that the Knicks are up against the best team. U can guarantee that if they ha played any other team, they'd have been more competitive

LongIslandIcedZ
05-01-2012, 09:34 AM
I guarantee you if you put him in a system that fits him again, like the Suns, he'd be an allstar.
Everyone ignores the fact that he's on a team that no longer revolves around him. Melo is the man on that team. Washington should try and deal Nene and change for him this offseason. Add him on top of whatever pick you get and he'd be back on top and that team would be scary good.

This. It doesn't have nearly as much to do with his athleticism as everyone thinks.

nycsports2
05-01-2012, 09:34 AM
well I gues nobody watched amare this yr... his jumpers not falling like it did last yr and hes not getting as many touches.... thats it nothings changed

effen5
05-01-2012, 09:46 AM
He is obviously on the wrong team with the wrong system. This guy was absolutely incredible the first half of the season last year but with the addition to melo...he has struggled immensely and here's why. Remember when we said dwade bron and bosh couldn't play together, well this wasn't the case for Miami but this is the case for new York. There just isn't enough ball to go around for either melo or amare. New York is now built to only have one star with the addition to melo and that's melo.

Amare would fit well with a team that has no superstar but still a good team like Philly like Indy because they would feed him the ball. New York needs to make a decision and get rid of either melo or amare.

Shaolin
05-01-2012, 09:52 AM
From the wikipedia article on knee microfracture surgery:

"Further on, chances are high that after only 1 or 2 years of the surgery symptoms start to return as the fibrocartilage wears away, forcing the patient to reengage in articular cartilage repair."

You get the surgery in your prime in order to continue playing at a high level - unfortunately it potentially shortens the length of your career.

knicks=love
05-01-2012, 10:53 AM
It's the cornrows.

thekmp211
05-01-2012, 11:10 AM
I don't know what u saw.

Knicks started 3-8. Then they went 13-1. But then they were 12-17. After getting melo, they were 14-14.

The Knicks were not "revived" they were better than 2009 2008...but they were still losing.

This year, with melo,....once the main problem (dantoni) was out of the way, the Knicks were 18-6(and yea they played good teams, not bad teams like during the Linsanitu run).

Main problem in the playoffs is that the Knicks are up against the best team. U can guarantee that if they ha played any other team, they'd have been more competitive

i mostly agree with this, this team has definitely improved over the course of the season, the first month was just some putrid stuff. miami is just so damn talented, it's almost like people forgot how mad they were for these three guys coming together. and their defense is the most dominant part of their approach, and they have turned it up to playoff volume. at their highest level the heat can take any team out of their offense, so yeah, knicks fans/observers can take solace in that.

effen5
05-01-2012, 11:55 AM
I don't know what u saw.

Honestly, I would be furious with the Knicks right now if I was Knicks fan.
You have a TON of money tied up with Melo, Stat, and Tyson and they should be competitive against the best team in the NBA, not just any other team....If this is what your money brings you against the best team in the NBA, I would want my money back because you will obviously never win a title if this is how your going to play against a championship calibur team.

THE MTL
05-01-2012, 12:10 PM
I think it has to do with: Melo (the new franchise player), Chandler (the new big man in the paint), Jeremy Lin (bigger star than Amare now and 2nd option on offense), and his injuries.

But on the court, I dont see his heart or passion anymore. Chandler and Shumpert get the ball less than Stat but they still put their heart on that floor and I dont see it from stat.

Unless Amare gets the ball and sometimes he'll go for that occasional rebound, he really isnt involved in the game.

Algmuskrats
05-01-2012, 12:18 PM
I had no idea he was so bad :shrug:

Stinkyoutsider
05-01-2012, 12:36 PM
His back is his downfall right now. I honestly thought he should have went and had surgery like Howard has done. Plus, this short season probably hasn't allowed him to get the regular treatment and rest he needed for his back. Bulging discs and back problems in general aren't easy on anyone, especially NBA players.

I've noticed that he's not dialed into a game mentally if he's not getting FGAs. He's got a good jumper but mentally I don't think he's confident in being a spot up jumpshooter. Just doesn't work for him.

Man, his feet looked like they were in quicksand last night! He would not rotate to the open shooter. He needs to get his head right and start moving!

Chronz
05-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Yes dude. Amar'e never worked in an iso offense and never was good at creating shots for himself.
He was never this bad either

Punk
05-01-2012, 01:02 PM
We call him STATue

Well for one, he probably needs that back surgery but he's a bad player because he is simply lazy when it's not offense. He lost Wade roaming around the baseline during easy inbound layups TWICE, he left Mario open twice, etc.

It has nothing to do with health. He just sucks and he says the right things but never does it. It's so bad, Baron and Jeremy have to tell him to "roll" when he sets a pick :laugh2:

detzfish
05-01-2012, 01:06 PM
ive been saying for a few years that his style of play wont let him be elite for a long period of time, same goes for griffin