PDA

View Full Version : Rose's Shoe Change Could Have Played Role in ACL Tear?

rajprashad
04-30-2012, 12:50 PM
I know most people have been saying the shoes had nothing to do with it, but this story contains a tweet from an Adidas employee that may make you think otherwise.

http://www.hoopsauthority.com/2012/04/derrick-rose-injury-shoe-change-could.html

bears88
04-30-2012, 01:10 PM
I will tell you this this was a good read IMO.

redwhitenblue
04-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Did someone who just joined possibly work for Nike?

Going around to all the forums pushing this?

I'll say this right now with absolute certainty, the ACL tear had NOTHING to do with the shoe. You could try and argue the toe problems could be attributed somehow, but an ACL tear is a random, massive injury that is not correlated to whether you have the most padded shoes in the world or are running bare foot.

RaiderLakersA's
04-30-2012, 01:17 PM
"It's the shoes, Money!!!" -- Mars Blackmon, aka, Spike Lee.

If I'm Nike, I'm firing someone today.

If I'm Adidas, I'm firing someone today.

And if I'm both companies, I'm serving notice that Twitter is not an acceptible form of representation or dissemination of company information by management or the rank and file. Ever.

king4day
04-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Was Shumpert wearing Adidas too?

celtNYpatsHeels
04-30-2012, 01:32 PM

Only on the leg that he hurt. The other foot was Nike

cheaptrikz
04-30-2012, 01:34 PM
yes

jp611
04-30-2012, 01:34 PM
If only Deng wasn't wearing nike when he tore ligaments in his wrist :sigh:

cheaptrikz
04-30-2012, 01:36 PM
If only Deng wasn't wearing nike when he tore ligaments in his wrist :sigh:
:laugh:

jp611
04-30-2012, 01:38 PM
How about Dwight Howard's back injury? Must have been those shoes

mvb815
04-30-2012, 01:46 PM
if you look in the comments section of the article you could see that op actually wrote it

Gibby23
04-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Did someone who just joined possibly work for Nike?

Going around to all the forums pushing this?

I'll say this right now with absolute certainty, the ACL tear had NOTHING to do with the shoe. You could try and argue the toe problems could be attributed somehow, but an ACL tear is a random, massive injury that is not correlated to whether you have the most padded shoes in the world or are running bare foot.

When you wear braces on your ankles it reduces or takes away the impact that the ankle will take when a player lands. The impact is still there and another part of the leg/body ends up taking on extra impact, in this case it was the knee. It wasn't the shoe, but it could be the brace. That is why people like tape, it still keeps the ankle stable but also lets it take on impact.

redwhitenblue
04-30-2012, 01:54 PM
When you wear braces on your ankles it reduces or takes away the impact that the ankle will take when a player lands. The impact is still there and another part of the leg/body ends up taking on extra impact, in this case it was the knee. It wasn't the shoe, but it could be the brace. That is why people like tape, it still keeps the ankle stable but also lets it take on impact.
Sure, that has nothing to do with the shoe though, that would have to do with a brace. And I'm not sure if Rose had a brace or tape on. I know he doesn't like tape and prefers the brace, but regardless, he makes that same jump stop 100 times a day between practice and games. It was a random act that it happened to snap the ACL this time, it wasn't an impact play with another person, it just snapped on it's own.

justinnum1
04-30-2012, 01:59 PM
It's actually a decent article and makes you think. Not sure the new shoe(larger size)played a role, but i do remember reading rose doesn't like having his ankles taped or something like that.

Interesting read.

Gibby23
04-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Sure, that has nothing to do with the shoe though, that would have to do with a brace. And I'm not sure if Rose had a brace or tape on. I know he doesn't like tape and prefers the brace, but regardless, he makes that same jump stop 100 times a day between practice and games. It was a random act that it happened to snap the ACL this time, it wasn't an impact play with another person, it just snapped on it's own.

It's not random. When a body part has been breaking down through the year another body part makes up for it and takes more of an impact. In this case it was his knee on a non contact injury. If it was a contact injury you could make a case for it being random, but in this case with the non contact, his knee has been taking extra impact through the year and it just snapped.

redwhitenblue
04-30-2012, 02:01 PM
It's actually a decent article and makes you think. Not sure the new shoe(larger size)played a role, but i do remember reading rose doesn't like having his ankles taped or something like that.

Interesting read.
A larger shoe has -0- to do with an ACL suddenly snapping. Literally nothing.

sjbirds
if you look in the comments section of the article you could see that op actually wrote it

or at the top...written by... way to promote your own article

kdspurman
Only on the leg that he hurt. The other foot was Nike

:laugh2:

redwhitenblue
04-30-2012, 02:03 PM
It's not random. When a body part has been breaking down through the year another body part makes up for it and takes more of an impact. In this case it was his knee on a non contact injury. If it was a contact injury you could make a case for it being random, but in this case with the non contact, his knee has been taking extra impact through the year and it just snapped.
You can assume that, but you don't know. I'd say more that his back took the toll of his foot issues, considering that's what he had time off for. Rose has had no complaints at all, all year, of any knee soreness whatsoever.

You could argue that Rose's style of play automatically puts more pressure on his knees, but yes this is very much a random injury. Any non-contact injury is a mixture of prior wear and tear and a totally random occurrence, but the ACL isn't exactly the type of ligament that just tears little by little, it blew out all at once suddenly.

Holydiver
04-30-2012, 02:04 PM
Howard and Rose and Shumpert all wear Adidas?

redwhitenblue
04-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Howard and Rose and Shumpert all wear Adidas?
Howard does, a back injury would be better for Nike to argue against Adidas shoes than an ACL tear.

Gibby23
04-30-2012, 02:05 PM
You can assume that, but you don't know. I'd say more that his back took the toll of his foot issues, considering that's what he had time off for. Rose has had no complaints at all, all year, of any knee soreness whatsoever.

You could argue that Rose's style of play automatically puts more pressure on his knees, but yes this is very much a random injury. Any non-contact injury is a mixture of prior wear and tear and a totally random occurrence, but the ACL isn't exactly the type of ligament that just tears little by little, it blew out all at once suddenly.

Just like you don't know. The ACL blew out because his ankle didn't take any impact and most of it went to the knee.

redwhitenblue
04-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Just like you don't know. The ACL blew out because his ankle didn't take any impact and most of it went to the knee.
We'll agree to disagree, I would assume considering the history of ligament tears that if it had been worn down prior that there would have been notable pain in it.

justinnum1
04-30-2012, 02:08 PM

You dont know that, the knee twisted. If the shoe was to big that would explain a lot.

I just hope the kid heels back to 100%

*Superman*
04-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Credit it to more of his style of play than a shoe.

And the NBA schedule this season.

Gibby23
04-30-2012, 02:16 PM
We'll agree to disagree, I would assume considering the history of ligament tears that if it had been worn down prior that there would have been notable pain in it.

You don't feel pain in a ligament if it is worn down or weak, your knee could be unstable but you wouldn't feel pain.

tredigs
04-30-2012, 02:19 PM
So to summarize the article in realist terms: Rose had so many injuries to his foot and ankle that he needed a specialized shoe in order to best protect them. But because he ALSO had a recovering toe he needed his super-lightweight shoe to be a half size too big (the author makes a leap and suggests that it may not have been a shoe especially tailored to him due to this size increase) to allow for more freedom; which the author dictates was the reason for the torn ACL due to him planting firmly and having his foot slide forward in the shoe (awkwardly tweaking his knee and tearing the ACL. Whether or not he knows what he's talking about in the slightest hear is left for interpretation).

To make a long story short, the guy had so many injuries on top of eachother that by trying to come back too soon he was forced into a situation where it only resulted in a worse injury. You can blame the shoe, the doctors, the trainers, whoever you want. The bottom line is that he had 5+ injuries and should probably never have come back this season.

I see this as being the opposite of a random/freak injury ala Bogut's broken arm in that game. Injuries like this are a very unfortunate inevitability when you continue to push a broken body.

Holydiver
04-30-2012, 02:34 PM
when they showed the bottom of Rose's shoes they had the a very small width

http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BB&Date=20120429&Category=NEWS0107&ArtNo=204290394&Ref=AR&MaxW=570

justinnum1
04-30-2012, 02:39 PM
^interesting pic...the top of the left shoe looks pretty worn down, not really any tread on it.

rockbottom2010
04-30-2012, 02:47 PM
imagine, shumpert, rose and howard all with adidas...and tmac was with adidas at one point.......this is going to be a big blow for adidas

Kidd>>>K-Mart
04-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Brook Lopez hurt his foot in a pre-season game and was pretty much out for the year and he wears adidas.

JNA17
04-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Ummm guys...

1. Tracy Mcgrady
2. Gilbert Arenas
3. Brook Lopez
4. Chauncey Billups
5. Bill Walton (no joke)
6. Eric Gordon (that injury this season)
7. Dwight Howard
8. Nene (and his big history of injuries)
9. Derrick Rose (and now him)

Looks like we got ourselves a curse of the Adidas!

Stinkyoutsider
04-30-2012, 02:52 PM
On that jump that hurt Rose, it looked like he was loading up for a jump to the moon! So much torque on a knee along with probably months of over-compensation from other body parts and the knee couldn't take any more.

Aapox
04-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Uhh...I'm playing basketball tonight and I wear Adidas... *Knocks on wood*

Anyways, D-Rose tore his ACL because he planted all on his heel. This is a general no-no for any basketball player because, as previously mentioned, it sends all of the torque up into the knee instead of displacing it throughout the foot/ankle/knee.

theheatles
04-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Adidas is on a mission to keep the sport of basketball down so it never surpasses soccer/football/futbol/foosball/etc.

SteveNash
04-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Basketball shoes in general are terrible for your health, especially your knees.

Same thing happened a couple of years ago with Nike for coming up with shoes too light:
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/25/pistons-ban-nike-hyperize/

Unfortunately, Rose chose money over health.

KnicksPain
04-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Basketball shoes in general are terrible for your health, especially your knees.

Same thing happened a couple of years ago with Nike for coming up with shoes too light:
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/25/pistons-ban-nike-hyperize/

Unfortunately, Rose chose money over health.

Ive heard this before but what are you suggesting those of us that play ball wear? (Not being an @$$ seriously want to know of an alternative.)

Yunqn
04-30-2012, 04:47 PM
If him getting injured is a debate because of him wearing certain shoes than a case can be made that stephen curry was out for almost the whole year because nike couldnt find a sneaker that could protect currys ankle.. Causing curry to wear different sneakers almost every single game he played..

This was just a freak accident.. I do wish that rose had signed eith nike instead because of how much effort and work nike would put into a sneaker for derrick rose like they do already with durant to go along with the price that kd wants ..

knicks4life33
04-30-2012, 04:54 PM
shoulda pulled out the chuck taylors old school

KnicksPain
04-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Anybody watch First Take today? I hate cite Stephen A but he did say something along the line of he talked people who said all the extra accessories that players wear now might be doing more harm than the good they're for. We all see Rose always has a bunch of Adidas merchandise on his legs, he looks cool but I wonder if that can attribute to any of his injuries.

PS I think the article is a Nike spy trying to take Adidas out while they're open lol, the article just seemed inauthentic.

utl768
04-30-2012, 05:04 PM
the adizero rose 2.5 is a horrible shoe with no cushion at all

it probably would not have mattered but he should def wear better shoes if he wants to avoid injuries

The Final Boss
04-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Bynum was rocking some old Chuck's when he landed on Bryant's foot. This in turn caused him to tear up his knee.

The PSD NBA Forum...:laugh:

Sactown
04-30-2012, 05:21 PM
I hear MWP was wearing Adidas when he elbowed James Harden, but luckily Harden was wearing Nike's so there wasn't any further damage to the head/neck

JordansBulls
04-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Ummm guys...

1. Tracy Mcgrady
2. Gilbert Arenas
3. Brook Lopez
4. Chauncey Billups
5. Bill Walton (no joke)
6. Eric Gordon (that injury this season)
7. Dwight Howard
8. Nene (and his big history of injuries)
9. Derrick Rose (and now him)

Looks like we got ourselves a curse of the Adidas!

:speechless::speechless::speechless:

ManRam
04-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Not at all.

Not for a torn ACL.

Especially not how he tore it (the jump step).

A broken ankle, a torn ankle ligament (most likely the lateral ligaments) or something near the ankle? Sure, a shoe with poor ankle support probably could be to blame.

But from what I've learned about non-contact ACL tears, it doesn't make sense that a shoe could have changed it. He just landed wrong, and it tore. The shoe didn't matter. He didn't slip. His ankle didn't role. He landed squarely on the ground, but his knee just went.

I don't buy it. A Nike ploy...

SteveNash
04-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Ive heard this before but what are you suggesting those of us that play ball wear? (Not being an @$$ seriously want to know of an alternative.)

It's basically a lifetime of wearing tennis type shoes have given you bad form. Basically support has made you lazy with too much impact on hell. Barefoot is the best, above that Fivefingers. If you find those to be socially unacceptable, something like the Nike Frees or you could try the shoes you currently own and just make a more conscious effort to use better form/modify your current shoes.

D1JM
04-30-2012, 05:48 PM
deng wears nike and has a torn ligament on the non shooting hand
kobe wears nike and has a torn ligament on the shooting hand
wade wears nike and got a dislocated finger

amare wears nike and has a bad back
steph curry wears nike and has a ****ed up ankle
luke walton wears nike, doesnt play and still gets injured
cp3 ...

kinda pointless to point out injuries when everyone wears nike or adidas

D1JM
04-30-2012, 05:51 PM
sometimes it's just the basic wear and tear. not everyone is constructed the same way.

redwhitenblue
04-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Rubio is also a Nike guy...whoops

KnicksPain
04-30-2012, 05:59 PM
I hear MWP was wearing Adidas when he elbowed James Harden, but luckily Harden was wearing Nike's so there wasn't any further damage to the head/neck

LMAOOOOOOOO. Nobody else found that hilarious???

KnicksPain
04-30-2012, 06:03 PM
It's basically a lifetime of wearing tennis type shoes have given you bad form. Basically support has made you lazy with too much impact on hell. Barefoot is the best, above that Fivefingers. If you find those to be socially unacceptable, something like the Nike Frees or you could try the shoes you currently own and just make a more conscious effort to use better form/modify your current shoes.

The frees or the fivefingers cant be worn to play basketball though, thats what I was asking, I wasnt clear enough my bad.

Cubby
04-30-2012, 07:14 PM
I can't blame him for not wanting his ankle taped. I had that in high school and it's annoying as ****. I only did it because doctors told me it was better for me.

northsider
04-30-2012, 07:49 PM
LMAO forensic files esque article.

northsider
04-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Not at all.

Not for a torn ACL.

Especially not how he tore it (the jump step).

A broken ankle, a torn ankle ligament (most likely the lateral ligaments) or something near the ankle? Sure, a shoe with poor ankle support probably could be to blame.

But from what I've learned about non-contact ACL tears, it doesn't make sense that a shoe could have changed it. He just landed wrong, and it tore. The shoe didn't matter. He didn't slip. His ankle didn't role. He landed squarely on the ground, but his knee just went.

I don't buy it. A Nike ploy...

And a ****ing genius one at that. Even if you don't like a company making money off others short comings this is great for a company like Nike cause no matter how many people say it didn't and can't cause this injury I guarantee kids and such read this and take it as spoken word.

magic0320
04-30-2012, 08:55 PM
wow some people really blaming on shoes....what's next headband too tight or underwear? ...

Cubby
04-30-2012, 09:18 PM
wow some people really blaming on shoes....what's next headband too tight or underwear? ...

Explains LeBron's loss of hair...

I kid, I kid.

Cubby
04-30-2012, 11:49 PM
One issue that led to this I think was due to his ankles being taped too tightly. I also think that they stopped him from wearing the ankle braces and it somehow made his foot worse and his leg. Just Bad job by Thibs to keep him in with them up 12 with a minute and half to go!

My website: Köpa Guld (http://www.libertysilver.se/)

It's playoff basketball. You play until the end, especially when the other team is on a run. This is not Thibs's fault.

Taping sucks. It's tight and is really annoying when you're moving around. I can't blame him for not wanting it, but it prevents further injury by doing so. Eventually you just get used to it.

tredigs
05-01-2012, 12:00 AM

Have you ever played ball? I am getting hints at no, but if so what did you wear?

Badluck33
05-01-2012, 12:06 AM
I wish juggalos would wear adidas...

:sigh:

WeaponXXX
05-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Should write an article abut Jermaine Oneal"s shoes or odens

akagiredsuns
05-01-2012, 12:23 AM
Wow really? We're gonna beat a dead horse over how Rose got hurt? What does it matter now? It's not gonna bring him back this year...literally. He's out until January, so let the man rest already. That the shoe would have a part in this is laughable. It must be a really slow day when something like this is getting so much attention. He tore his ACL on a random play. Wasn't the first won't be the last. :facepalm:

cutiepie80
05-01-2012, 12:45 AM
the dude was getting back in his groove and made one of his step/stop moves and the accident happened.

I am still depressed about it but Rose will be back. His life is basketball and he probably has the best work ethic in the league. D Rose WILL be D Rose again.

tyfreaks brotha
05-01-2012, 01:09 AM
Yup totally those Shoes.. He didn't land on it wrong or anything. Those shoes are a curse.

Blazers#1Fan
05-01-2012, 01:49 AM
foreal i would never ball with adidas on again....... ever!

And 1's(to bad they fell off should of stopped putting the guy on every shoe) the only pure BBall shoe made by a bball company everybody else are track company's who make bball shoes Nike company shoes are good because they know what there doing Addidas ...dont feel good i bought the tmacs and droses they feel ******

Knicks21
05-01-2012, 02:00 AM
The only factor that contributes to ACL injuries in the strength of ones Quadriceps, shoes won't make a difference.

UnWantedTheory
05-01-2012, 02:21 AM

I wouldn't say nothing. I would say NOTHING, Zero chance, Nada, Nil, never in a million years has a shoe had something to do with a damn ACL tear. But that's just me.

UnWantedTheory
05-01-2012, 02:23 AM
Yup totally those Shoes.. He didn't land on it wrong or anything. Those shoes are a curse.

Finally someone gets it. Of course it's the cursed kicks.

kdspurman
05-01-2012, 09:36 AM
I realize it's probably too soon, but injury aside I thought this was pretty funny.

Still feel horrible for Rose and wish him a speedy recovery!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCADLj0Y1QE&feature=youtu.be

raiderfaninTX
05-01-2012, 09:44 AM
I give it a 6

kdspurman
05-01-2012, 09:48 AM
I give it a 6

About what I thought too tbh..

asandhu23
05-01-2012, 10:16 AM
:pity:

black1605
05-01-2012, 10:25 AM
That's the dumbest thing I've seen in a while.

Robbw241
05-01-2012, 10:26 AM
ok, when Leo said "rose" I laughed.

Briggurlacher
05-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Wasn't going to post this.. But since the OP's video made it on here, this should as well:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-ENGAsbLY

Raps18-19 Champ
05-01-2012, 10:29 AM
It was alright. I laughed too when Jack said 'Rose'.

Also, "Why did you do that Rose!? You're so stupid!" :laugh2:

I actually found some of the comments are funnier though.

im a bulls fan, and my soul hurts too. but its not "****ing hilarious". its very clever and well done. but its not funny. if u were a true bulls fan you'd know that his injury isn't something to joke around about and that he might neve be the same. which would suck for the organization, us fans, and mostly him.

I agree it's not the funniest but to some, it's not funny to him because their feelings got hurt?

kdspurman
05-01-2012, 10:44 AM
It was alright. I laughed too when Jack said 'Rose'.

Also, "Why did you do that Rose!? You're so stupid!" :laugh2:

I actually found some of the comments are funnier though.

I agree it's not the funniest but to some, it's not funny to him because their feelings got hurt?

I thought the woman in the stands when it was like she said "you jump I jump right?" Was pretty funny too :laugh2:

Those comments are just crazy.. It's probably too soon like I said lol

DaBUU
05-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Not fun, not funny

lakerskbp24
05-01-2012, 11:01 AM
I have to say tho that the Bull's chances of a championship, sunk just like the titanic.

DaBUU
05-01-2012, 11:03 AM
I have to say tho that the Bull's chances of a championship, sunk just like the titanic.

:cricket: :cricket:

benzni
05-01-2012, 11:11 AM
thats unfortunate

FreakaNashur
05-01-2012, 11:14 AM
i almost died when he said rose.

Hustla23
05-01-2012, 11:35 AM
I'm sorry Bulls fans but this **** is hilarious.

Corny and stupid, but nonetheless hilarious.

Tmath
05-01-2012, 11:41 AM
I thought it was funny.

pacofunk64
05-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Lol, I thought it was good.

Celticsfan2007
05-01-2012, 11:53 AM
:laugh2: good find.

rajprashad
05-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks for everyone's response and to everyone who took the opportunity to read the article.

We attempted to present as many facts as possible about the injury. We feel that we represented every possibility for Rose to tear his ACL. I have torn my ACL twice. We simply found it interesting that an Adidas rep responded to a tweet sent out from one of our senior writers, so we did as much research as possible.

Thanks again.