PDA

View Full Version : Spo Orders 3pt Marksmen To Pull Trigger Every Time

gotoHcarolina52
04-30-2012, 12:58 AM
With the playoffs under way, Miller is now under direct order from coach Erik Spoelstra to shoot the ball every time it touches his hands.

And the same goes for Shane Battier and James Jones.

Lost amid LeBron James’ otherworldly performance on Saturday in the Heat’s 100-67 victory against the Knicks in the opening game of the first-round of the playoffs was the heavy number of three-point shot attempts by the Heat’s sharpshooters. Entering the series, the Knicks carried the reputation as the more prolific three-point shooting team, but the Heat matched New York shot-for-shot from three-point range in Game 1.

BEING AGGRESSIVE

The Knicks three-point shooters combined to go 7 of 21 while the Heat was 8 of 21. Those statistics were not an aberration, says Spoelstra. The emphasis on three-point shooting will be a key for the Heat throughout the playoffs.

As Spoelstra likes to say, there is a “symbiotic relationship” between the Heat’s three-point shooters and the team’s attacking players, James and Dwyane Wade.

“[Spoelstra] wants us to be aggressive and to hunt down shots and to be energetic in the pursuit of our shots,” said Jones, who scored seven points in less than eight minutes off the bench for the Heat in Game 1.

“Because we know that as [James and Wade] continue to attack the basket that we’ll have to be relied upon to make shots. Coach is encouraging us to find a rhythm, be aggressive and work to make sure our long ball matches our paint attack.”

The most significant difference between the Heat’s playoff run this season and the one last year are the additions of Shane Battier and a healthy Miller to the rotation. On Saturday, the two players combined for 15 three-point attempts.

Miller alone attempted nine three-pointers. During the regular season, he averaged three three-point shots per game.

CREATING SHOTS

“I think it’s more of a mindset for our team to not get so locked into isolation plays but to [spead] the ball around the court,” said Battier, who was 2 of 6 from three-point range in Game 1 while also helping to limit Knicks star Carmelo Anthony to just 11 points.

“When we do that, we’re really tough to guard. Because that’s when [Miller] and [Jones] and myself can hit threes and when that happens, everything else opens up.”

Spoelstra has told Miller to attempt no less than 10 three-pointers a game during the playoffs. The high number of three-point attempts is so important to the Heat’s offense, says Spoelstra, that he doesn’t even care if Miller makes any.

“He can make zero of them,” Spoelstra said. “It doesn’t matter.”

DRIVING LANES

Reason being, it opens the driving lanes for James and Wade. James and Wade combined for just one three-point attempt on Saturday while going 14 of 19 from the free throw.

“It keeps teams honest,” Wade said. “When you’ve got a lineup with LeBron and myself out there as ball handlers and then you got Mike and Shane or J.J. out there at the same time, it keeps the floor spread and it keeps teams honest. Those guys got to shoot the ball — just catch it and let it go no matter if it goes in or not that’s what we need.”

For Miller, the green light to shoot should feel like practice.
Full article: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/30/2774958/coach-spoelstra-gives-miami-heats.html#storylink=cpy

gotoHcarolina52
04-30-2012, 01:02 AM
Holy crap! No less than 10 attempts per game! :speechless:

I love it. :guns:

justinnum1
04-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Music to my ears. Not just any music tho, my favorite music; EDM:rock:

Wade>You
04-30-2012, 01:11 AM
I've felt that way about Mike forever. It should've been a wake up call to Mike when Chalmers was selected over him for the 3pt contest . Mike is one of the best 3 shooters in the NBA, he just doesn't like to shoot under pressure. Kyle Korver's willingness to shoot almost makes me prefer him over Mike Miller.

CHANGO
04-30-2012, 02:45 AM
If you shoot you are going to make some. I like that, give confidence to the shooters and they will respond. We need them so pull the trigger every time you want.

Rainman
Chalmers
Battier
Millerlite

All shooters!!!

h2r09
04-30-2012, 07:16 AM
yes with miller and chalmers, no with battier. love mike miller being aggressive though.

514_HEAT
04-30-2012, 09:43 AM
seriously, if miller attempts 10/game... he's bound to start hitting like 40%. jones should be hitting just as many. let battier keep up the strong D.

flashwade03
04-30-2012, 10:37 AM
this is bad news for the opponents if only they can make it ..

HeatBBall
04-30-2012, 12:25 PM
This would be music to Antoine Walkers ears if he was still here. Thank goodness he's not. I'm loving Spo's confidence in his shooters and the game plan.

HuRRiCaNeS324
04-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Lmao. 10?!

justinnum1
04-30-2012, 03:13 PM
:nod:

haberstroh
Spoelstra might seem overly insistent on attackers and shooters playing off each other, but that's because the coach has seen the numbers. According to NBA.com stats tool, the Heat score 108.9 points per 100 possessions with James, Wade and Bosh on the floor. But when Battier joins them, that number rises to 114.9 points. And when Miller plays next to the Big Three? Miami's offensive efficiency skyrockets to a mind-boggling 125.9 points per 100 possessions.

CHANGO
04-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Damn you bad boy Miller! DAMMNAAMNNAAMNAAA!!

Wade
Miller
Battier
Lebron
Bosh

If Bosh MAN UP we can play that lineup vs the Knicks. Bosh with Chandler worry me a little but the rest is a plus, having 2 slashers-post-up players, 2 shooters and 1 Bosh. :laugh:

naps
04-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Yes, Miller passes up on a lot of threes. It almost feels like he's scared to take it because it might not fall in. He makes 70+ threes in a row in practice so he shouldn't be scared at all. I love it. Give him the green light to shoot everytime he has a little bit of space. When team starts hitting threes the game momentum changes like crazy! James Jones should do the same.

However, I don't feel the same with Battier. His shot looks ugly and every time he attempts I feel like he's not balanced enough and it's not going.

Has anyone noticed when Mario gets hot from three we almost never lose? He's the most important piece outside our big three IMO. If he's consistent enough throughout the playoffs like he was before the allstar break then there's no stopping for us.

kjoke
04-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Should have told him this before the playoffs. I like Miller shooting a lot, but he should have had the confidence a while back

justinnum1
04-30-2012, 10:19 PM
battier and miller, 3-5 from 3 tonight:clap:

CHANGO
04-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Damn you bad boy Miller! DAMMNAAMNNAAMNAAA!!

Wade
Miller
Battier
Lebron
Bosh

If Bosh MAN UP we can play that lineup vs the Knicks. Bosh with Chandler worry me a little but the rest is a plus, having 2 slashers-post-up players, 2 shooters and 1 Bosh. :laugh:

I was right BIATCHES :laugh: This has to be our closing lineup. Loved the teamwork and the ball movement and of course the 3333333's

Keep doing that Spo...

And please no Chalmers, Jones, Wade, Miller, Bosh or Anthony lineups. :o that was painful to watch.

justinnum1
04-30-2012, 10:33 PM
yea, it was a solid lineup vs a smaller team likes the knicks. I love ud but hes not needed so much in this series.

Master Mind
04-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Nice. Shoot to kill.

naps
05-01-2012, 12:54 AM
Spo after game 2:

“My only disappointment is (Miller) didn’t take 10 shots.” :laugh2:

justinnum1
05-01-2012, 01:05 AM
^did he really? :laugh:

CHANGO
05-01-2012, 01:36 AM
LMAO Spo is becoming more and more a big troll... Maybe he's learning from Pop's! Haha!

naps
05-01-2012, 01:36 AM
^did he really? :laugh:

Yea dude!! Here's the article (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/fl-hyde-miami-heat-new-york-knicks-0501-20120430,0,7767266.column).

Also from that same article:

As the third quarter ended, James walked toward the Heat bench, took out his designer mouthpiece and examined its lettering as if to draw from its simple message:

“XVI.”

That’s what was emblazoned on it. Sixteen, in Roman numerals. Sixteen total playoff wins are needed to win the title. They’re down to 14 more needed after Monday.

I thought it looked dirty when I saw that during the game. Was wondering why the hell he picked that but I guess LeBron is amazingly creative! Just like how he creates on the court :p

gotoHcarolina52
05-01-2012, 01:43 AM
Spo after game 2:

:laugh2:

:laugh: Oh man, that's awesome. Can't wait 'till Thursday.

Pakman
05-01-2012, 02:16 AM
This is the only way the heat beat the lakers in the finals this year cause lord knows they ain't Doug anything inside. Except maybe lebron, he gonna get his.

naps
05-01-2012, 03:46 AM
This is the only way the heat beat the lakers in the finals this year cause lord knows they ain't Doug anything inside. Except maybe lebron, he gonna get his.

Not really worried about the Lakers. Their twin-tower sounds scary but LeBron always owns the Lakers.

naps
05-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Off-topic but reading this (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/fl-miami-heat-dwyane-wade-0502-20120501,0,451606.story) made me sad. Man, I miss those days when Wade used to be the hands down most explosive player on the planet. Watching him go HAM to the basket with those acrobatic moves was a most exciting thing in basketball for me. He almost doesn't do it anymore :(

Anyone feel the same or is it just me?

KTheo77
05-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Off-topic but reading this (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/fl-miami-heat-dwyane-wade-0502-20120501,0,451606.story) made me sad. Man, I miss those days when Wade used to be the hands down most explosive player on the planet. Watching him go HAM to the basket with those acrobatic moves was a most exciting thing in basketball for me. He almost doesn't do it anymore :(

Wade is my favorite player in the league but he is 30 years old. With his style of play and the injuries he's had over his career, his body has certainly aged more than that. I don't think you will ever see the style of player Wade was anymore. He will still have the occasional explosive play, but you can see his bread and butter has become his post game. Jordan developed the fade away and allowed himself to play at a high level for many more years. Wade will have to do this also, his body has no choice.

I do miss the old Wade's explosiveness also, but the post game he has will draw double teams that will open up our 3 point shooters, so from a team perspective, it will be good.

The Flash
05-01-2012, 10:18 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9VseO7btIs&feature=related great to witness such a great player from his rookie year till now, love Wade

Jet
05-02-2012, 12:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9VseO7btIs&feature=related great to witness such a great player from his rookie year till now, love Wade

wow that really did make me sad, that first dunk after the spin was amazing i remember watching that...when he goes up now he doesn't eve look like he gets up as high as in that dunk there.. fav player to watch hands down!

JC_
05-02-2012, 01:10 AM

Amazing. He's looked like he's got some of his quickness and hops back in this series. He missed that one wide open dunk but he's been getting up pretty damn high.