PDA

View Full Version : Speculation: Angels looking to move to Los Angeles?

THINKBLUE15
04-29-2012, 04:03 PM
With Angel Stadium aging, team could drop the 'of Anaheim'
As the Dodgers' and Angels' owners consider the options for their ballparks, the possibility arises for the Angels to move to downtown L.A. and for the Freeway Series to become the Surface Streets Series.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0429-shaikin-baseball-20120429,0,290864.story?page=2&utm_medium=feed&track=rss&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20MostEmailed%20%28L.A.%20Tim es%20-%20Most%20E-mailed%20Stories%29&utm_source=feedburner

To locals of O.C and L.A, this would be a travesty. What to fans of other teams think about this?

Moreno can get out of his lease in 4 years and is already talking to AEG, who is responsible for the Staples Center and Downtown L.A proposals. All speculation obviously. But still, what would you think of this?

CarniifeX
04-29-2012, 04:21 PM
While I don't want this to happen, Arte Moreno is all about marketing his franchise to make as much money as he can.

SportsAndrew25
04-29-2012, 04:23 PM
I do not know why the Angels would want to take down their stadium. Based on what I have read online, Angel Stadium is a very popular stadium.

THINKBLUE15
04-29-2012, 04:32 PM
I do not know why the Angels would want to take down their stadium. Based on what I have read online, Angel Stadium is a very popular stadium.

Eh. It's kinda cheesy with the fake rocks, and other things of the sort. There have been complaints this year about seat cushions being tarnished. They have had a history of poor health inspections...rats and stuff. But it is family friendly and generally nice visually. More friendly O.C service.

Although Dodger Stadium isn't as flashy as Angel Stadium, it is still regarded as the cleanest venue in baseball, the best maintained, and players rave about the playing surface more than any stadium in baseball. The natural sight lines, pastel colored seats, etc keep it a classic. It has integrity and is still gorgeous after 50 years. BUT--renovations are needed from the second level up, as well as the pavillions. New concourses and restrooms....Angel Stadium is much for fan friendly. Dodger Stadium is a baseball stadium.

lamar2006
04-29-2012, 05:08 PM
let them move and be the what the Clippers are to the Lakers. The little brother. Los Angeles is Dodger town and having a 37 year old Pujols taking his talents to LA LA land will not change who is in charge of Los Angeles

stupidmop
04-29-2012, 08:44 PM
LA is big enough to support both teams. If they can find a better stadium deal there then all power to the Angels. I don't think it would hurt the Dodgers.

dsonLAL24
04-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Hell to the NO!

Pinstripe pride
04-30-2012, 09:03 AM
since i ahve yet to see them or the dodgers, i approve them moving closer together to make that tirp eaiser!

CHRISDODGERS
04-30-2012, 03:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

scottythegreat1
04-30-2012, 05:26 PM
I know Im ranting here but I have to say this:

Who is going to be paying for all of this??? New Stadiums arent cheap anymore. New Hockey/Basketball Arenas cost $400 million, New Baseball stadiums are usually around $500 million and New Football stadiums are about $1 billion.

Since the 1990s, every team in professional sports has practically moved to a newer facility, and many of the notable holdouts are considering moving to newer facilities at a time when the economy isnt at its greatest and these teams are trying to get public funding for these places.

California has been under a lot of financial pressure for years, I doubt anyone would get serious public financing for a newer stadium in California unless it were 80% privately financed.

If Arte Moreno wanted to basically pay $400 million for a new stadium out of his own pocket (and all cost overruns) and get $100 million from the city of LA and have $100 - 150 million paid for by a company that wants naming rights to a stadium, it would work. If I were an owner, I wouldnt want to be forking over $400 million to build a new stadium when the existing one isnt that bad.

The Angels arent that bad off, their payroll at $150 million is one of the highest payrolls in the league, and they get pretty decent attendance at their games, so its not like its a crappy venue. I know Angel Stadium is the fourth oldest stadium in the league, but just because its old doesnt mean you get rid of it, Fenway Park is 100 years old and Wrigley field is 98 years old, they arent planning any new stadiums in Boston or Chicago.

Lincecum4CY
04-30-2012, 05:55 PM
wow no do not. The Angels park is pretty nice. keep it where it is. No need for a new park/location.

Whats wrong with Anahiem? Disneyland is there. In fact id rather live in Anaheim than LA.

THINKBLUE15
04-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Anaheim has ****** parts of town (the majority) as LA does. I live right by Anaheim.

I'd much rather live in Brentwood or Bel-Air (both in L.A City) than anywhere in Anaheim.

DodgerB24
04-30-2012, 07:19 PM
I don't care either way. It won't hurt the Dodgers.

fresh prince
04-30-2012, 07:47 PM
I suspect Arte is just merely gaining leverage to build a new facility in Anaheim..

Move on nothing to see here.

stupidmop
04-30-2012, 07:48 PM
I went to high school in Venice. It's all about West LA. :)

DerekRE_3
04-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Hasn't Anaheim consistently had great attendance the last five years or so?

TrueYankee
04-30-2012, 07:55 PM
I kinda like where they are at. From a marketing standpoint, I can see why they want to move

championships
04-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Nah, Stay where you are at.

fresh prince
04-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Hasn't Anaheim consistently had great attendance the last five years or so?

Yes.. Which is why a move is very unlikely.. A Downtown move is very enticing but not at the risk of alienating most of the OC fan base.

THINKBLUE15
04-30-2012, 09:35 PM
They would be moving away from the only fanbase they have.

The Final Boss
04-30-2012, 09:59 PM
wow no do not. The Angels park is pretty nice. keep it where it is. No need for a new park/location.

Whats wrong with Anahiem? Disneyland is there. In fact id rather live in Anaheim than LA.

The organization wouldn't physically pick up the stadium and relocate it. :facepalm:

S.P.
04-30-2012, 10:38 PM
I'd guess it's just talk to make the city pay for renovations when the time comes.

Cheezombie
05-01-2012, 05:25 PM
The organization wouldn't physically pick up the stadium and relocate it. :facepalm:

Really?

LASportsFan1996
05-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Anaheim has ****** parts of town (the majority) as LA does. I live right by Anaheim.

I'd much rather live in Brentwood or Bel-Air (both in L.A City) than anywhere in Anaheim.

That's Why We Call It Ana-Crime. Where You Live? I'm In Brea.

LASportsFan1996
05-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Hell No, We Don't Need These Fools In LA. LA Is Dodger Town. Stay In Ana-Crime.

Plus Angel Stadium Is Pretty Nice, I Don't See Why They Would Wanna Get A New Stadium.

THINKBLUE15
05-01-2012, 11:24 PM
That's Why We Call It Ana-Crime. Where You Live? I'm In Brea.

Cypress

Az_Dodgers_Fan
05-02-2012, 12:36 AM
The Orioles pitched a fit when the MLB wanted to move the Expos within a hundred miles of Baltimore. No way in hell the Dodgers allow the Angels to move 3 miles away.

THINKBLUE15
05-02-2012, 01:04 AM
The Orioles pitched a fit when the MLB wanted to move the Expos within a hundred miles of Baltimore. No way in hell the Dodgers allow the Angels to move 3 miles away.

The Dodgers can't contest a move. The Angels and Dodgers share the same territory, which includes Los Angeles.

Cheezombie
05-02-2012, 04:39 PM

Apples and Oranges