PDA

View Full Version : Evan Turner and Derrick Rose Have Hated Each Other Since High School

Rafer17
04-29-2012, 12:31 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/basketball/bulls/12157336-579/derrick-rose-evan-turner-set-to-rekindle-rivalry-in-nba-playoffs.html#SixersTalk

Derrick Rose began earning his reputation as an understated, humble basketball star back in high school. He’s carried it with him into college and the NBA.

But there was one opponent who seemed to get under his skin, and it’s someone he may be seeing a lot of very soon: Philadelphia’s Evan Turner, who played at St. Joseph.

The Rose/Turner rivalry heated up this week when Turner was asked about finishing eighth in the Eastern Conference and playing the Bulls instead of the Heat.

“That means we’re dodging the tougher team,” he told the Delaware County Times.

Rose shook off Turner’s comment, but there is little question that the rivalry is for real.

It started, at least publicly, in March of 2007. It was of one of the biggest games of the year, a showdown between Simeon and St. Joseph at Northwestern.

Rose was regarded as the top player in the state. Turner was challenging Rose for player of the year honors.

At halftime, standing near center court, Turner said “Derrick Rose ain’t [crap].”

Not everyone heard it, and it didn’t seem to be directed at anyone in particular, but it was unmistakable.

In the second half, Rose and Turner really went at it, jawing back-and-forth the entire time. Late in the game, Turner scored on a layup and was fouled. Before shooting the free throw, Turner turned around and said something to Rose. An official approached Turner at the line and defused the incident.

Turner scored 29 points, including 20 straight during one stretch, doing his best to back up his bold words. Rose scored 29 as well, and Simeon won 74-66.

After the game, Turner’s quotes raised plenty of eyebrows.

“I was better than Rose,” Turner said. “With me guarding him he didn’t do much. He knows that, and I know that.”

Simeon has a tight media policy, rarely allowing players to speak with the media during the season. Rose and the other Simeon players had not been available after the game.

I texted Turner’s quote to Simeon coach Robert Smith while I wrote the game story. Just as I was finishing up, Smith called and asked me to meet him behind a curtain just outside the locker room.

I hurried over, and waiting behind the curtain was Rose, his older brother Reggie and Smith.

“Read him the quote,” Smith said to me.

I did, and Rose’s response was one of the few times in his high school career where he showed some bravado.

“We both know who is better,” Rose said. “He’s just doing this to get a little bit of publicity. We’ll see who does more on the next level. They called a lot of soft fouls on us when he had the ball. It wasn’t like he did anything that impressive.”

Just a few weeks later, Rose and Simeon beat St. Joseph in the state playoffs, ending Turner’s prep career. It’s a safe bet Turner wouldn’t mind returning the favor in the NBA playoffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mJ0iflfMC6A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eVfT4Y-O548

Its too bad DRose is out, we could have watched these two go at it...

kenzo400
04-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Evan Turner shouldn't have been the second pick in the draft. He's not that good.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-29-2012, 12:41 PM
This is what the NBA needs. Too many goody goody and superfriends club crap going on in the league. This turner-rose thing is competition at its finest!

ichitownclowni
04-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Wow would have loved to see Rose keep wrecking ET the alien

GoPacers33
04-29-2012, 12:48 PM
After reading Don't put me in Coach" by Mark Titus I have hated Turner aka "The Villian"

Becks2307
04-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Evan Turner will turn out to be a nice player, he will give you 18 and 6.5 boards in his prime

lavilevi23
04-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Turner has just become one of my favorite players after that article.

Redskins10
04-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Evan Turner shouldn't have been the second pick in the draft. He's not that good.

He actually is.

ichitownclowni
04-29-2012, 12:56 PM
No he is not

Baller1
04-29-2012, 01:07 PM
It sucks Rose is hurt then..

R0W
04-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Cousins should have went 2nd to philly but he had attitude problems.

R0W
04-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Turner has just become one of my favorite players after that article.

No-life lebron fan

sixer04fan
04-29-2012, 02:25 PM
We all know Rose is better than Turner. At this point ET doesn't have much ground to stand on in that comparison, especially if he's still talking trash. But I don't mind it. I like that he's not afraid to shy away from a rivalry. The NBA these days where all the players are friends is really lame and boring. I like when players "hate" each other. Even though I'm sure the article is 90% exaggeration anyways.

Turner is a good talent. He needs more time than most to develop, but he definitely has all-star potential in him. You can see it when you watch him play. He'll never be a superstar like Rose though, he's not that good, but he could certainly be an all-star down the road.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Cool.

2-ONE-5
04-29-2012, 02:31 PM

:facepalm:

effen5
04-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Only way et can stop rose? Rose blowing out his own knee.

0nekhmer
04-29-2012, 06:33 PM
Dammit!

SMH!
04-29-2012, 06:42 PM

watch the sixers play sometime, ET can be dirty

Ebbs
04-29-2012, 06:46 PM
To bad E.T. isn't close to Rose. I agree I love intense rivalries.

raiderposting
04-29-2012, 06:54 PM
there is no way the sixers will take turner over cousins, monroe, and favors if they can do a redraft, big men are way more valuable than a replaceable player.

felixng2012
04-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Who cares? Evan Turner is a scrub. How he managed to be picked 2nd is beyond me.

2-ONE-5
04-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Favors? what has he done?

cubbie92
04-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Anybody who watched Evan Turner at Ohio State wouldn't be surprised by this article. Turner seems to have trouble keeping his mouth shut, period.

5ass
04-29-2012, 07:03 PM
i dont know why people are getting mad at Evan Turner. They were just high school kids being competitive.

alew510
04-29-2012, 07:05 PM
There have been some players from that draft that have done more than Turner has so far in his career (Cousins, Monroe, George, Crawford and maybe vazquez) but Turner def deserved to be taken number 2 coming out of college he just hasn't lived up to it yet.

sager729
04-29-2012, 07:05 PM
I think it is hilarious, cause I think that Turner actually thinks he is better than DR1. I like the way these two go at each other. But everyone knows who the better player is.

Canterbury
04-29-2012, 07:09 PM
From the article it sounds like a mostly one sided feud.

kenzo400
04-29-2012, 07:13 PM
:facepalm:

My bad, i didn't see his 9.4ppg. Wooow, now that's a quality second pick lol

Knowledge
04-29-2012, 07:27 PM
After reading Don't put me in Coach" by Mark Titus I have hated Turner aka "The Villian"

No offense to Titus, but I havent heard anyone describe Turner the way he has besides him. Collins called him a great leader a while ago and his teammates seem to love him. Could he be a little immature? Possibly, but he doesnt seem to be the troublemaker Titus described. . . . .until someone else (who isnt trying to cash in on drama) who is with him daily says something, I wouldnt put much into what is said in that book.

Sadds The Gr8
04-29-2012, 07:30 PM
if Turner was relevant this rivalry would be much more interesting.

SMH!
04-29-2012, 07:46 PM

Mark Titus just wanted to make some money using his name, I never heard any of those things he said from anyone else

sixer04fan
04-29-2012, 08:02 PM

Lol you actually believe half that garbage? It's a dead beat trying to sell books and make money off of someone famous that he knows. But if you want to believe that fiction more power to you.

boolish
04-29-2012, 08:05 PM
he's the most anonymous second pick in history. and justifiably so.

2-ONE-5
04-29-2012, 08:30 PM
in histroy, you sure about that?

blastmasta26
04-29-2012, 08:36 PM
he's the most anonymous second pick in history. and justifiably so.
I only had to go one year before Turner to disprove your point: Hasheem Thabeet.