PDA

View Full Version : Trout vs Harper

Jeffy25
04-29-2012, 12:47 AM
You can have one on your franchise, which player do you take today?

Carlznerson
04-29-2012, 12:49 AM
Really small sample size with Bryce (1 game lol) but I already love the kid. The cannon arm, leadoff man speed and the bat speed on this kid are ridiculous.

VRP723
04-29-2012, 12:51 AM
Harper me. My god that swing.

Toxeryll
04-29-2012, 01:01 AM
harper without thinking twice

yakubripper
04-29-2012, 01:13 AM
Trout is no slouch but I'm totally wrapped up in the scouting reports love for Harper.

THINKBLUE15
04-29-2012, 01:21 AM
Harper. Easy

BradHolt4CYoung
04-29-2012, 01:22 AM
Harper is a once in a generation type player/prospect...Trout is not.

04-29-2012, 01:39 AM
Bryce Trout: MLB 12 The Show edition.

Carlznerson
04-29-2012, 01:42 AM
I'd love for the one guy to explain his vote.

sexicano31
04-29-2012, 01:43 AM
I'd be happy with either. Only knock against harper, for me, is he's a huge douche canoe

04-29-2012, 01:53 AM
I'd love for the one guy to explain his vote.

I did not vote but picking Trout is not some outlandish choice. He is a top 3 prospect the last two years running who has been incredible at every level of the minor league system. He has performed better than Harper at AA/AAA.

Jeffy25
04-29-2012, 01:55 AM
Okay, I didn't think this was going to be this one-sided. I figured Harper would win, but wow.

Carlznerson
04-29-2012, 01:59 AM
I did not vote but picking Trout is not some outlandish choice. He is a top 3 prospect the last two years running who has been incredible at every level of the minor league system. He has performed better than Harper at AA/AAA.

I'm not saying he isn't. I was just interested.

poleandreel
04-29-2012, 02:43 AM

Trout has actually been the #1 prospect for a while - over harper. However, I take harper as well

THINKBLUE15
04-29-2012, 04:25 AM
When I think of Trout, I think perennial all-star
When I think of Harper, I think hall of fame

Wrigheyes4MVP
04-29-2012, 04:30 AM
Harper

He is a huge douche, but who cares...the dude can play and his talents are eye popping.

OutOfTHEBLUE
04-29-2012, 06:31 AM
There are lots of players I'd take over either one.

That said, if I was forced to pick between one of these two then I'd go with Harper, but not at all by a landslide. His makeup seems like his worst attribute, which coincidentally is one of Trout's strengths.

Webslinger
04-29-2012, 08:13 AM
If I just go by stats then I have to go with Trout. I really don't know much about either player. Harper has been very impressive in A ball, but that's it. He did not do as well when they promoted him to AA.

ciaban
04-29-2012, 08:14 AM
i am angels fan so i am biased, that being said there are so differences in their abilities, harper has a much stronger arm than trout and it's not even close, he also hits for a lot more power (though mike is still developing that) Trout run circles around Harper, and i really do mean laps him, he can go from the right side of the plate to 1st in roughly 3.5 seconds and this is in no way a slight at harpers speed, dude is really fast, but its no comparison, also Trout is a lot more mature than Harper i also wonder just how hard Harper works and how much he relies on his god given ability

In conclusion i think it is absolutely Bryce and its not even close

todu82
04-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Harper, I think he's going to be something special.

waveycrockett
04-29-2012, 10:26 AM
I expected something from Trout, at least a flash when he was called up last year but he bombed my expectations, yesterday was another example. Its Harper by a lot.

Angels4Ever
04-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Considering most of you are brainwashed by the media which 90% is on the East Coast, I expected you to pick Harper. Mike Trout plays a game yesterday and you think he sucks? Stupid people

rockbottom2010
04-29-2012, 11:29 AM
i wonder....what about travis snider....he always killed it in triple AAA....its all about the big leagues...and i believe that harper is going to be better than most outfielders

the_jon
04-29-2012, 11:30 AM
harp darp

Hunter48MVP
04-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Mike Trout

Vandelay16
04-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Considering most of you are brainwashed by the media which 90% is on the East Coast, I expected you to pick Harper. Mike Trout plays a game yesterday and you think he sucks? Stupid people
Not sure if trolling or stupid...

waveycrockett
04-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Not sure if trolling or stupid...

Going with stupid

keymax
04-29-2012, 05:09 PM

Odds are one won't even be a major league starter his whole career.

THINKBLUE15
04-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Odds are one won't even be a major league starter his whole career.

Duh.

When I envision the potential of each, those were the careers I had in mind.

There is not a sure thing out there and never will be.

Jeffy25
04-29-2012, 08:00 PM
i am angels fan so i am biased, that being said there are so differences in their abilities, harper has a much stronger arm than trout and it's not even close, he also hits for a lot more power (though mike is still developing that) Trout run circles around Harper, and i really do mean laps him, he can go from the right side of the plate to 1st in roughly 3.5 seconds and this is in no way a slight at harpers speed, dude is really fast, but its no comparison, also Trout is a lot more mature than Harper i also wonder just how hard Harper works and how much he relies on his god given ability

To answer your question (not really a question)

Everyone raves about Harper's work ethic, that he will forever Pete Rose hustle on every play, and expects himself to be the best baseball player ever. He feels he belongs in the MLB, and that he is destined to be amazing. But for him to be amazing, he has to keep working harder than everybody else.

We'll know more to this answer in a few years of course.

SportsAndrew25
04-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Harper and it is not even close. The guy balls so hard mother****ers wanna find him.

Carlznerson
04-29-2012, 08:52 PM

I would actually beg to differ on the whole speed thing. Trout is a ton faster than almost anyone in the bigs but Harper also has CF speed and realistically they are closer than you think.

Iodine
04-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Harper and it is not even close. The guy balls so hard mother****ers wanna find him.

As a nationals fan this post made me want to pick Trout.

Anyway--

Trout has legit 80 grade speed and even when it goes down (when he fills out his frame and in theory gains power) he is still a plus plus baserunner even without the stupid fast wheels.

Harper won't ever have Trout's quickness (because Trout being as fast as he is with how relatively big he is just defies general player characteristics) but still a good runner with a jesus christ of an arm.

Harper's power doesnt really need to be talked about anymore because there are only so many ways you can say potentially legendary. Trout could fill out and become a good power hitter in his own right, but in a perfect world he can't touch Harpers.
Harper has a good eye, but he would much rather try to hit a home run than take a walk, while Trout has a more relaxed approach when it comes to that.
Both should be plus defenders, but Trout will be in CF and Harper a corner (although he could be average at CF most likely) so theres that.

Overall I would take Harper but their is no fault in taking Trout.

onlythisfar41
04-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Like someone said, Harper is a douche canoe (loved the phrase thats why I copied it) but its Harper by a mile.

The guy is going to be something special.

CarniifeX
04-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Probably Harper. Trout may have all the tools but Harper is a game-changer. That's not to say Trout isn't but Harper is going to be amazing.

I love Trout though. I think he eventually will be able to put up a Jacoby Ellsbury 2011 (http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/28637/jacoby-ellsbury) season on a season-to-season basis.

Eg714
04-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Trout could be a legit 5 tool player but Harper was born to play. I honestly would be happy with either one. Trout might take a little longer to develop but I think once he does than he can be really good. Harpers already ready.

IndiansFan337
04-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Harper, easily.

Trout has no chance to match his power.

I was at the Indians-Angels games yesterday and today. Trout made an awful decision in CF today diving for a ball that was 2-3 feet away and allowing it to go by him. Everything I had read said Trout was a tremendous defensive CF. He may be, but he didn't even play CF yesterday and today made a terrible error. One of the edges that Trout had over Harper may not actually be as lopsided as previously expected.

carljam1
04-30-2012, 12:50 AM
He's a complete asshat and a jerk, but Harper. He's going to be great, no doubt. But man is he going to rub a lot of people the wrong way.

GA16Angels
04-30-2012, 04:34 AM
lol five of the twelve votes for Trout are Angel fans. I chose Harper, but I'm basing that on pure hype. His swing does look pretty damn nice and he looks like he has a good eye, but I've yet to see anything truly amazing. That said, I haven't seen anything truly amazing from Trout, but he does have incredible speed (probably one of the fastest in the bigs), good defensive capabilities, and he has the potential to hit well above .300 with 15-20 HR power. If I were to compare him to any player it'd be Derek Jeter, except faster, better defensively, and not a complete douche.

waveycrockett
04-30-2012, 09:33 AM
Probably Harper. Trout may have all the tools but Harper is a game-changer. That's not to say Trout isn't but Harper is going to be amazing.

I love Trout though. I think he eventually will be able to put up a Jacoby Ellsbury 2011 (http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/28637/jacoby-ellsbury) season on a season-to-season basis.

Ellsbury's SLG% is aided in large part to playing in a band boxes in the AL East, not to mention fenway is tailor made for xbh . I agree Trout's upside is somewhat similar but I highly doubt he puts up those kind of power numbers on a regular basis that Ellsbury did.

OneTuzSea
04-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Harper, easily.

I was at the Indians-Angels games yesterday and today. Trout made an awful decision in CF today diving for a ball that was 2-3 feet away and allowing it to go by him. Everything I had read said Trout was a tremendous defensive CF. He may be, but he didn't even play CF yesterday and today made a terrible error. One of the edges that Trout had over Harper may not actually be as lopsided as previously expected.

I was there on Saturday, too. Right behind him in the bleachers in fact. There were a group of guys that were doing their best to not let him forget that first dive :laugh2:

fresh prince
04-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Harper Now

Trout for the long term...

Better character and power is still emerging..

Im an Angel fan tho so take that with a grain of salt.

fresh prince
04-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Harper, easily.

Hahahaha yup totally. One game..check that no one play means he sucks on D.. Spot on

And If Im not mistaken you were talking about the play in LF on the ball Brantley hit. It was a double either way

waveycrockett
04-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Hahahaha yup totally. One game..check that no one play means he sucks on D.. Spot on

And If Im not mistaken you were talking about the play in LF on the ball Brantley hit. It was a double either way

I dont know why Angels fans keep saying this. The dude had damn near 200 AB's last year and he didn't show anything special that scouts raved about.

Pinstripe pride
04-30-2012, 02:20 PM
harper

Eg714
04-30-2012, 02:31 PM
I dont know why Angels fans keep saying this. The dude had damn near 200 AB's last year and he didn't show anything special that scouts raved about.

He showed that he can play great defense and has outbursts of power. He is super fast and has a good eye. Just because he didn't put it all together in the 1/3 of the season he was up doesn't mean much. The kid is only 20 years old. If he doesn't figure it out for another 3 or 4 years he will still be young enough to be a good prospect. I trust what MLB scouts have to say about him more than some psd poster does.

Jeffy25
04-30-2012, 02:36 PM
The scouting scale shows Trout to have an 80 speed.

I believe Harper is around a 70

Trout has a 60 arm and Harper has an 80 arm

Harper has 80 potential power, Trout has 60 power potential, and probably more like 50. Depends how he develops.

Harper is the more talented of the two. But injuries, work ethics, and character also play into this decision. I wouldn't blame someone for choosing Trout, he looks like he could be an elite centerfielder for years to come. But he also looks like he could be a younger version of his own team mate, Bourjous.

Harper could be Griffey. That's how good he is. But there is also no certainty, and he could be another Mike Cameron (who was incidentally traded for Griffey and probably better than people realize).

I'll take Harper, but Trout isn't that far behind IMO.

Jeffy25
04-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Ellsbury's SLG% is aided in large part to playing in a band boxes in the AL East, not to mention fenway is tailor made for xbh . I agree Trout's upside is somewhat similar but I highly doubt he puts up those kind of power numbers on a regular basis that Ellsbury did.

All he said was he could put up that kind of season. Park factors or not. He is saying he can put up a .321/.376/.552 slash line on a season to season basis.

Which isn't out of line, especially if Trout becomes a great doubles hitter.

I will say this, Trout has a better eye than Ellsbury though, he is a very patient hitter, and will probably be more patient than Harper throughout their careers.

What I think each player in his peak looks like

Trout: .310/.390/.495

I don't think he has Ellsbury's power really either, but I think his plate discipline will help him reach some .400 OBP's

I think Harper is more in the .300/.380/.575 potential range.

This is of course, assuming both players reach their potential.

sexicano31
04-30-2012, 03:10 PM

Go compare Trouts first season with Justin Uptons first season. K thx

Twitchy
04-30-2012, 03:37 PM

He was 19 last year. 19. Most guys his age are in college or rookie ball or maybe A ball. And he was in the majors.

I hate to break it to you but most players who are 19 tend to struggle in the majors. A-Rod had 142 AB's as a 19 year old and Trout did better than him (88 OPS+ vs 72 for A-Rod). Justin Upton had 140 AB's as a 19 year old and had a 62 OPS+. Trout actually did fairly well for his age.

This isn't to say that Trout will be better than either. It's just that expecting a 19 year old to live up to the praise of scouts is kind of crazy.

04-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Harper, easily.

So one of his advantages may not be as lopsided because of one play? I would choose Harper because I think his ceiling is higher but some are acting as if Trout is nothing special. Just another run of the mill prospect.

Jeffy25
04-30-2012, 03:47 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/mike-trout-over-bryce-harper/

Mike Trout and Bryce Harper came up this weekend. Mike Trout went oh-for-the-weekend. Bryce Harper had two hits, one a double, with an RBI to boot. Trout is on a crowded team at a crowded position. Bryce Harper plays center field for a team desperate for a center fielder. In keeper leagues, many will tell you — we’ve got all the premier scout-types on record in our FG+ article on the subject — that Harper’s power upside will be the more valuable tool going forward.

But, in redraft leagues, for just this year, I’m taking Mike Trout.

Much of the reasoning is laid out in my Friday piece on Bryce Harper. He’d be the best 19-year-old to play the game since 1980 if he hit .270 with 18 home runs, basically.

People ask why we do a search for comps in these situations, asking the question “What does Jose Oquendo have to do with Bryce Harper?” And it’s a viable thing to ask, since every baseball player (and human) is unique. But it is also valuable to consider his age so that you can say, by looking at the comps, something like “It’s really hard to be a 19-year-old big leaguer.” Only four guys have managed 200 plate appearances at that age since 1980 is another way to put it. Adrian Beltre‘s .215/.278/.369 in 214 PAs is the second-best season by a 19-year-old is just one more way of putting it.

So Harper is facing high odds against producing this season. And then there is his recent Minor League performance that is less than titillating. Bryce Harper hit .256/.329/.395 in 147 Double-A PAs, and followed that up with .250/.333/.375 in 82 Triple-A PAs to open this year. Mike Trout hit .326/.414/.544 in 412 Double-A PAs, and followed that up with .403/.467/.623 in 93 Triple-A PAs to open this year. If there were more PAs in both samples, you might start to wonder if the results alone would push Trout past Harper even if you demerit him for his two-year head start.

Trout is readier. But doesn’t his team situation make him worse off? Even with Bobby Abreu gone, the Angels have three Major League right-handed outfielders from left to right: Vernon Wells, Peter Bourjos, and Torii Hunter. Despite what you think of some of those ballplayers, it’s a better list than the Rick Ankiel and Roger Bernadina standing between Harper and playing time.

But the Angels seem ready to play their outfielder. Perhaps it’s because they are, surprisingly, last in their division. It could just be two games, or it could be a sign that the team is looking to Trout for a spark. Vernon Wells‘ .221/.241/.429 is 19% worse than league average and he’s just about replacement level right now. It’s true that he’s under contract for two years and $42 million after this year, but those are the crimes of a previous administration. The new management in Anaheim is likely treating him as a sunk cost, and feels no need to save face by recovering any value whatsoever from that disastrous trade. Wells can pitch in against lefties, or push Trout to center when Bourjos’ hip (which will require surgery at some point) is acting up. And then there’s the fact that Bourjos’ high-strikeout game means he doesn’t get on base enough to be a great asset at the plate, and if the team needs offense, he could end up being used more for his defense as a late-inning replacement.

There’s plenty of opportunity for Trout to stake his claim to regular playing time. Turning 21 this year, he’s also two years more ready to take advantage of his prodigious tools. And those last two years of dominance at Triple-A suggest he’s ready to hit the ground running. In keeper leagues, the debate is still open, but for this year and this year alone, Mike Trout looks like the catch.

Jeffy25
04-30-2012, 03:48 PM
]He was 19 last year. 19. Most guys his age are in college or rookie ball or maybe A ball. And he was in the majors.

I hate to break it to you but most players who are 19 tend to struggle in the majors.[/B] A-Rod had 142 AB's as a 19 year old and Trout did better than him (88 OPS+ vs 72 for A-Rod). Justin Upton had 140 AB's as a 19 year old and had a 62 OPS+. Trout actually did fairly well for his age.

This isn't to say that Trout will be better than either. It's just that expecting a 19 year old to live up to the praise of scouts is kind of crazy.

Absolutely

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/in-context-mike-trouts-teenage-homers/

EVIL EMPIRE
04-30-2012, 05:29 PM

Lets not get carried away now!

I'd like to see both of them prove something, on a consistent basis.

As for right now, I'll go with Trout only because of how much Harper is being overrated after just 2 games.

The hype that surrounds both of them is justified, they are both tremendous talents at such young ages! But some people have already christened Harper, the next coming and hanging Trout out to dry. That's crazy talk, in my opinion.

When I think of either of them, I think great talent, but unproven hype until further notice.

TimeIsNowLEGGO3
04-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Defiantly Trout, he has been the number one prospect for the last few years he is faster, better outfielder (harper was a catcher growing up), and i believe he will be as great top of the lineup hitter for years too come.

fresh prince
04-30-2012, 07:03 PM

?? Really dude 200 PA's at 19? hahahahaa oh boy...

Im almost 100% certain you didn't see any of those At bats. At 19 Trout hardly ever looked over matched and showed glimpses of the patience and emerging power - plus contact rate that the scouts "raved about".

In 200 AB's at 19.

Carlznerson
04-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Defiantly Trout, he has been the number one prospect for the last few years he is faster, better outfielder (harper was a catcher growing up), and i believe he will be as great top of the lineup hitter for years too come.

Did you see his throw from right on a line to the plate? Or the running catch against the wall in center?

Lincecum4CY
04-30-2012, 11:36 PM
I'd be happy with either. Only knock against harper, for me, is he's a huge douche canoe

This.

Lincecum4CY
04-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Harper does remind me of Pete Rose, however. Take that as a compliment or an insult. When I see Bryce Harper, i think of Pete Rose instantly.

YanksNats1987
05-01-2012, 12:19 AM
It's hard to go wrong with either player. Their talent levels are through the roof. The main difference is that Bryce has been known and hyped for a while where as Trout hasn't been in the public eye for very long.

I think both players will be special in their own way. Hopefully they live up to their insane potential.

BTW, imagine being these people as Bryce Harper decided to join in on a softball game during his day off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuc7_4HkYsU&feature=player_embedded

Pretty cool!

cooldavid3169
05-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Harper I remember when I was living in Vegas when was 16 they did a special on the local news down there. Even then he was using a wooden bat and blasting the ball off of it. First thing i did was text all my buddies that were into baseball where I grew up and tell them about him.

carljam1
05-01-2012, 12:45 AM
Harper does remind me of Pete Rose, however. Take that as a compliment or an insult. When I see Bryce Harper, i think of Pete Rose instantly.

He's got great work ethic and plays hard every game, every at bat, every play. The good side of Pete Rose. The bad side, he comes off as very arrogant and even a little overly amped, every game, every at bat, every play. Overly amped is a good thing though, a lot of players have big contracts and will play with nothing to prove. Harper has a lot to prove, even when he's so young. He'll be a great hard nosed player, but a lot of people will have a problem with his attitude. He'll probably get beaned quite a bit :p

popo85
05-01-2012, 01:30 AM
Damn dodger fans need to get off our nuts anal really bstfu!!

Jeffy25
05-01-2012, 02:22 AM

I agree, except Harper is clearly more talented.

But the hustle and the personality fit

Elway=goat
05-01-2012, 06:38 AM
Harper without a doubt. He is going to be the best player in baseball in a few years, and will probably be the best player for atleast a decade after that. Assuming he stays healthy, works hard and does all the things he is expected to do. His tools are just amazing, especially his arm and bat speed.

waveycrockett
05-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Go compare Trouts first season with Justin Uptons first season. K thx

Justin Upton wasn't hyped like Trout was. They had this guy over Harper for crying out loud.

sexicano31
05-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Justin Upton wasn't hyped? What?

awesomeovie8
05-01-2012, 04:41 PM
I'll take Trout cause he had better numbers in the minors and seems like a much better guy. Ill be thrilled to have either instead of Dom Brown

Jeffy25
05-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Justin Upton wasn't hyped like Trout was. They had this guy over Harper for crying out loud.

What on earth are you smoking?

Upton was a first overall pick out of high school in 05 and was in the majors in 2007 at 19 years old. Just like Harper is.

And he was Baseball America's number 2 prospect.

Harper has been Baseball America's number 1 for two years in a row, and Trout was numbers 2 and 3 the last two years. I know some publications had him 1, and some had Moore number 1. But Upton had just as much, if not more hype than Trout.

Joe33
05-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Still don't understand the scouts that have Trout ranked ahead of Harper.

It's obvious who the more talented player is. Harper wows you with the things he does on the field, Trout really doesn't.

fresh prince
05-02-2012, 12:50 PM

It's obvious who the more talented player is. Harper wows you with the things he does on the field, Trout really doesn't.

Way to get super scientific with it!

Joe33
05-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Way to get super scientific with it!

Do you really want me to break down their swings and such?

Harper has physical tools and the ability to do things at the plate Trout just doesn't. Harper's batspeed is incredible, then there's the cannon of an arm. It's like comparing Wally Joyner to Jose Canseco, no need to get "scientific", one just clearly has more baseball tools that wow you.

fresh prince
05-02-2012, 01:33 PM
We disagree... Trout has plenty of wow factor.. He is probably the best athlete the game has seen since Bo Jackson..

catman
05-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Trout is likely going to be a leadoff hitter with decent pop and great defense. Harper will likely be a 3/4/5 hitter with decent speed.
You can't really go wrong with either of these guys, based on their talent. Both guys have to show that they can make that talent work for them in the bigs, though.

ruckus16969
05-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Harper 100%

hagausaf
05-03-2012, 02:42 AM

ok I usually dont comment but what the fetch are you thinking id a number 1 prospect isnt hyped. Upton was super hyped up

Pakman
05-03-2012, 03:18 AM
Of course all the dodger fans pick harper not surprised. Hehe.

bklynny67
05-03-2012, 03:24 AM
Harper is only winning by this much cuz of the hype he gets from the media and especially ESPN. I hope Harper is one big fat BUST cuz he's such a douche bag! I voted Trout cuz I actually have watched both these players hit for a while now and I think he'll be better. 30+ homers with potential for 40+ steals. Harper might be a 30 HR guy too but not as much speed. Trout is also better defensively. Harper has the better arm but takes funny routes to balls. He'll get better at that of course.... anyways, I'll take Trout but u obviously can't go wrong with either. Again, everyones picking Harper cuz the hype machine is out in full force.

hagausaf
05-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Not picking Harper due to his hype. Hype is media driven BS but Harper gets the hype cuz he's a pure stud. Attitude aside and he's not the only player around with a massive ego but he's got it all and he's here to stay I think. Trout is a stud in his own way also but you really cant compare the two as their totally different. Trout is speed and Harper is a masher

Here's how I see the players line being down the line. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Trout: .280/.340, 20 HR and 40 SB
Harper: .275/.330, 35 HR and 20 SB

S.P.
05-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Harper was a three ring circus last night. The highlights to last night's game were great, he was in every one of them.

Dundalis
05-04-2012, 07:08 AM
This is a player comparison. Why does it remain on the main forum?

Jeffy25
05-04-2012, 12:12 PM
^ when a thread is this active, and the two players were the center of attention when the thread was made, it makes sense. When the thread dies down, it will be moved.

Tragedy
05-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Not even a contest, really. Harper.

es0terik
05-04-2012, 03:08 PM
I know I'll probably get massacred for this but I personally think both are pretty over-rated right now, just because people basically have them both written down as MVP's already or something.

LASportsFan1996
05-05-2012, 05:41 AM
There are lots of players I'd take over either one.

That said, if I was forced to pick between one of these two then I'd go with Harper, but not at all by a landslide. His makeup seems like his worst attribute, which coincidentally is one of Trout's strengths.

LOL, Like Who?

Carlznerson
05-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Harper is already getting pitched around. 4 walks in his last 7 at bats.

Hulk6
05-05-2012, 02:28 PM
The hype with harper is real, even though he want 0-3 yesterday he had 3 walks. Pitchers are already afraid to pitch to him

sexicano31
05-05-2012, 03:16 PM
It's not that they were afraid to pitch to him, it's that he was walked twice by Kyle Kendrick who has bad command

HoodedSB
05-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Okay, I didn't think this was going to be this one-sided. I figured Harper would win, but wow.

West coast team + espn hyping harper like crazy = easy win for harper

saying trout is "no slouch" is a hell of an understatement (to the dude above you)

Carlznerson
05-05-2012, 06:04 PM
It's not that they were afraid to pitch to him, it's that he was walked twice by Kyle Kendrick who has bad command

Kendrick said himself the report was to stay away from him and pitch to Werth

dodgersuck
05-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Harper by Far. Hell, I would take Moore over Trout

Carlznerson
05-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Those questioning Harper's speed. He just stole home.

shizzle09
05-07-2012, 02:19 AM
Those questioning Harper's speed. He just stole home.

Seriously? Someone actually questions Harpers speed? They're obviously talking out of their *** because he can flat out blaze on the bases.

fresh prince
05-10-2012, 03:04 AM
Trouts minor league numbers are better and they are so far this season in the bigs ( ridiculously small sample) as well yet Harper is running away with this thing.

Its truly Amazing what they hype machine can do.. This poll should be a lot closer.

xabial
05-12-2012, 03:17 PM
I keep hearing these top prospects names everywhere. I would be reading an article on baseball and their names always somehow comes up. I realize these are top prospects as they come. I've seen some of them play, and they seem like true Five-Tool players. It makes me wonder though, which prospect will have a more productive career? Who will put up better numbers? Who is going to be the closest to Josh Hamilton, or Albert Pujols (Before Signing With the Angels), Or A-Rod (Before Age catched up to him, and Before Performance Enhancement Drug Usage)

They are all so hyped, and it seems like Major League baseball is experiencing a lot of Elite Prospects these days, so if you've seen these guys play, read their scouting reports, or purely opinionated who do you think will have a more productive Major League career?

Mike Stanton of the Marlins (Also Known as Giancarlo Stanton)

Bryce Harper of the Nationals

Mike Trout of the Angels

RaiderKid318
05-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Stanton isn't a prospect anymore, but it is a little early to decide. I would have to say one of bundy, trout, or harper.

xabial
05-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Stanton isn't a prospect anymore, but it is a little early to decide. I would have to say one of bundy, trout, or harper.

How? Mike Stanton is 22 years Old. He's not even in his prime yet.

05-12-2012, 03:35 PM

Your age does not determine if you're a prospect.

Pfeifer
05-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Brett lawrie

Jack of Blades
05-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Profar.

No but really it's gonna be Harper.

Nymfan87
05-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Stanton. I think he's a better hitter than Harper.

xabial
05-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Your age does not determine if you're a prospect.

I thought a player was considered a prospect if he was really really young, has a lot of talent, has shown glimpses, but has not yet shown his true potential.

TO Rapz
05-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Stanton isn't a spec anymore. I'd say Harper will probably be the best, the guy is just an absolute monster in terms of how much power he has, and he has good tools such as speed, a strong arm, etc. I also like his atitude (yes I know he's cocky and told a pitcher to shhh after he hit a bomb in minor league ball), I love that attitude. Mind you, Trout is no slouch either. It's too early, but Harper looks like he's going to be a fantastic ball player.

ramz.n
05-12-2012, 03:47 PM
player with less than 150 at bats in the mlb is a prospect ..otherwise they don't count..like brett lawrie who has over that.

xabial
05-12-2012, 03:50 PM
player with less than 150 at bats in the mlb is a prospect ..otherwise they don't count..like brett lawrie who has over that.

Ohh okk, still think the term "prospect" can be applied to players with elite long term potential.
Alex Gordon of the Royals has been dubbed a prospect by the media for god-knows how long.

Yankee Clipper
05-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Harper is still so young and has tools already with the chance to develop them even further. I have to go with him.

hustleloyrspct
05-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Manny machado

mtf
05-12-2012, 04:40 PM

I consider someone a prospect if they haven't yet lost their rookie eligibility. I'm not sure if there's any more official definition out there.

ManningToTyree
05-12-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm buying the Harper hype.

beldugo
05-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Jason Heyward (Homer pick)

whitesoxfan83
05-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Safe money says Stanton only because we've seen what he can do already.

Don't look now but Harper has been pretty crappy the last 7 games... he's 4 for 27.

He was also doing pretty mediocre at AAA before he got called up.

I'm not saying he's going to suck at all or anything but Mike Trout has been more impressive so far and Mike Stanton already has 62 career HRs.

Safe money takes Stanton because we've seen what he can do, Trout was pretty blah last year, and Harper hasn't done much of anything yet but get talked about on ESPN all damn day long for stealing home and making some cool catches. I'd rather pick the 1 person of the 3 who has actually put together some productive seasons already.

Mitchell133
05-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Brett Lawrie will have a better career than Mike Trout.

popo85
05-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Harper will have the better power numbers, but Trout will hit for higher avg and steal more bases...

RaiderKid318
05-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Damn can't believe no one else said bundy?

treeleaf
05-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Brett Lawrie will have a better career than Mike Trout.

This.

Green_Monster
05-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Wil Middlebrooks... But really, Mike Stanton.

LASportsFan1996
05-13-2012, 03:47 AM
Give Me Giancarlo, Anyday Of The Week.

iam brett favre
05-13-2012, 03:55 AM
Once Stanton can raise his OBP, I'd say him. Until then - Trout.

Jeffy25
05-13-2012, 04:01 AM

When you have 1100 career plate appearances, you are no longer a prospect, you are a big leaguer.

LASportsFan1996
05-13-2012, 04:07 AM
Ya He Is Technicaly Not A Prospect, But I Understand What The OP Means, Cause Stanton Is Relativly Young In His Career

BigRoy
05-13-2012, 05:29 AM
why done we just make it a 22 or 23 and under and add more people castro, bumgarner, Moore, etc

jammastershake
05-13-2012, 05:48 AM
East Coast hype machine: harper >> trout

reality: harper = trout

Mitchell133
05-13-2012, 10:19 AM

Nope, Harper can be generational.

LoveMeOrHateMe
05-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Trout I think both will be hall of famers though

Webslinger
05-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Harper = Hype Machine on overload

StriveGreatness
05-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Comparison forum

kingjaymes23
05-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Harper was hyped as the next big thing whole he was in high school so anybody believing he isn't overly hyped is ludicrous. He's been ordinary lately, and has no HRs. He also has shown how immature he is with the bat incident. Hamels didn't throw at him solely because he is a Rookie, he threw at him because he is an arrogant Rookie.

fresh prince
05-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Mike Trout has been just beasting the league lately.. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8861. Maybe he saw the results on how lopsided this PSD poll was and got pissed?

leftymo
05-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Bryce Harper in 20 games .230 2 HR 5 RBI with 1 SB

Mike Trout in 19 games .333 3 HR 10 RBI with 4 SB

Hype is tough to get rid of... I don't know their ages (I know harper is 19, but what abou trout)..

Finally a national media baseball writer did say that Trout is playing MUCH better than Harper... don't think it was Olney...

Twitchy
05-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Trout should be doing better than Harper this year. Trout had some experience in the MLB (2011) coming into this season, while Harper was struggling in AAA.

In the long term I'd expect Harper to be better, but for 2012 it's tough to bet against Trout.

fresh prince
05-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Bryce Harper in 20 games .230 2 HR 5 RBI with 1 SB

Mike Trout in 19 games .333 3 HR 10 RBI with 4 SB

Hype is tough to get rid of... I don't know their ages (I know harper is 19, but what abou trout)..

Finally a national media baseball writer did say that Trout is playing MUCH better than Harper... don't think it was Olney...

Trout is 20. He just went deep again today and stole a base (4th HR/ 5th SB) his OPS is now nearing 1.000

Still a small sample though but Trout looks really impressive right now.

Angels4Ever
06-10-2012, 12:23 AM
So East Coasters, who looks better now? lol

STL Don
06-10-2012, 02:45 PM
This has become a real real good comparison. I'll take Harper to play it safe.

LASportsFan1996
06-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Both Have Been Heating Up As Of Late...

Webslinger
06-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Trout is currently hitting .350. I knew he'd be better than Harper. But, to Harper's credit, he is batting .287, which is not something I thought a 19 year capable of. Perhaps, I will be right after one hundred more at bats.

leftymo
06-12-2012, 03:44 AM

Really???

Trout .354 6 HR 26 RBI 15 SB's

Harper .295 6 HR 18 RBI 4 SB's

They've played about the same amount of games...

fresh prince
06-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Harper is a once in a generation type player/prospect...Trout is not.

Not even a contest, really. Harper.

Harper by Far. Hell, I would take Moore over Trout

:clap: Brilliant thoughts and insight fellas!!

Mike Trout:

.354/.412./.565 15 stolen bases and 6 home runs in 161 At Bats

20 years old

S.P.
06-12-2012, 03:11 PM
How about they're both great? It's fun for the game that they're linked together since they're rookies in the same season. Perhaps they'll meet in the WS one of these years (or more) and have a Magic/Bird kinda thing going on.

fresh prince
06-12-2012, 05:20 PM
How about they're both great? It's fun for the game that they're linked together since they're rookies in the same season. Perhaps they'll meet in the WS one of these years (or more) and have a Magic/Bird kinda thing going on.

That is the reality of it. I just found it hilarious the amount of dudes bashing Trout who in all likelihood had never seen him play (or lets at least hope it was blind bashing)

Comical stuff..

But your'e right these are two absolute studs who will almost certainly have a big future in the game for the next 10 + years.

S.P.
06-12-2012, 05:43 PM
But your'e right these are two absolute studs who will almost certainly have a big future in the game for the next 10 + years.

I'm surprised at the vote differential. Harper was on the cover of SI, and a first overall pick, it only makes sense that he is the more recognizable of the two. For now.

I actually disliked Harper at first because of the "attitude problem" that's been getting some press, but I've changed my mind. He's 19, I'll give him a do-over. And recent interviews I've heard he sounds just fine. I hope he's great. And if he really does have an attitude problem, it will be fun to root against him down the road!

YoungStuna
06-16-2012, 03:44 PM
I'd take Trout.

He has everything you want in a player. All-out hustle, great hitting ability, power, blazing speed, and tremendous defense in CF. Harper is better suited in a corner, especially as he gets older but his overall bat will probably be better.

I'd take Trout now and for the future because I just think he has a better overall package at a premium position.

northsider
06-17-2012, 05:12 PM
I'd say Harper's bat IMO will put him in talks with some of the greatest I.E Bonds, Griffey, Aaron. Trout is an amazing talent and will be one of the top players but, I just am still in shock of the power I believe Harper is going to produce.

fresh prince
07-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Cool interview with the two from Yesterday:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=22978079&topic_id=7417714

MetsFanatic19
07-15-2012, 09:14 AM
mike trout is definitly playing better and i would take him, but harper is so aggressive and energizing it boosts the entire team and motivates everybody to play like that, so, even though theyre both going to be very good/great, i'll take trout

LoveMeOrHateMe
07-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Hahaha lol at the vote differential! Trout by a mile!

Bos_Sports4Life
07-31-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm no scout or anything and i'm not going to predict the future..

with that said, Harper is having a pretty good rookie season..Trout is having a historically GREAT rookie season