PDA

View Full Version : Abreu released..our new DH/LF????

anotherqtip420
04-28-2012, 10:37 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/04/angels-release-bobby-abreu.html

The Angels announced that they have released veteran Bobby Abreu. The outfielder was in the final season of his three-year contract extension with the Halos and is set to make $9MM.

The move will help pave the way for the promotion of Mike Trout, who is on his way from Triple-A, according to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times (via Twitter). Manager Mike Scioscia says that Trout "will play", DiGiovanna tweets, while MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez tweets that it seems that the 20-year-old will play everyday.

The slugger has been outspoken about his reduced role with the club since the offseason and there has been a great deal of speculation that his tenure with the Angels was coming to an end. The 38-year-old was said to be warming up to his backup role at the start of the season but Jerry Dipoto & Co. were said to be "feverishly" shopping him.

The Halos appeared to have a taker for Abreu in late March when they had advanced discussions with the Indians. The deal apparently fell apart over how much of Abreu's $9MM salary would be covered by the Angels.

should we pick him up??

GNick
04-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Another LH bat? He may be good for young hitters though.

LanceUpperCut
04-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Hell no, he has been awful for the last 2 years and is on a steady decline. Snider is the next in line if we decide to drop someone and add a DH/LF.
Thames is hated on this forum cause of his ****** D but his bat is one of the hottest on this team as of now (which is very sad). I would love to find a spot for both Thames and Snider.

bomber0104
04-28-2012, 11:46 AM
i'd take him over Francisco but we'll have too many lefty bats

Kelly Gruber
04-28-2012, 12:21 PM
No reason I don't see signing him and dropping Francisco as a good idea. Do it. This team needs some leadership on offence. Jose not leading by example right now. A vet presence could be big off the bench or DHing. He's not the player he was, but there are intangibles here that make it worth a look.

bljay29
04-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Abreu isn't the player he used to be, plus from everything I have read he wasn't happy being a part time player.. If the Jays were to sign him that's what he would be here and I just don't think the clubhouse needs an aging veteran that will cry about playing time etc..

Krylian
04-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Why do so many people want AA to sign guys that used to be good but are now just old and crap, or at the very least on a big decline.

statquo
04-28-2012, 09:14 PM
good name, brutal player now.

wamco
04-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Abreu isn't the player he used to be, plus from everything I have read he wasn't happy being a part time player.. If the Jays were to sign him that's what he would be here and I just don't think the clubhouse needs an aging veteran that will cry about playing time etc..

over francisco, ummmmm ya.

Halladay
04-30-2012, 03:39 AM
Abreu is god awful now...do some of you guys not even look at stats? The Angels released Abreu to bring up a struggling prospect in Trout. We could do a lot better then Abreu. What message would it send a guy like Snider as well? hey Travis, we know you're smashing the ball right now in the minors but we're gonna block you from coming up so we can give an over-the-hill, useless player Abreu AB's.

StealingSigns
04-30-2012, 07:56 AM
Since 2008, Abreu has posted an fWAR season above 2.4 ONCE, and this is while getting regular AB's. He has been in steady decline since 2005.

Ragin' Cajun
04-30-2012, 08:12 AM
Leave Abreu rot somewhere else. We have to let the young guys show their worth or make a trade for a younger player to be here for years to come.

Bob_at_york
04-30-2012, 10:11 AM
We have too many players who can perform at the same level.

wamco
04-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Abreu is god awful now...do some of you guys not even look at stats? The Angels released Abreu to bring up a struggling prospect in Trout. We could do a lot better then Abreu. What message would it send a guy like Snider as well? hey Travis, we know you're smashing the ball right now in the minors but we're gonna block you from coming up so we can give an over-the-hill, useless player Abreu AB's.

excellent anaylsis. Others might say, to promote one of the top 3 prospects (with moore and whatshisface in DC).

How bout the message it would send to francisco? Hey, you stink and abreu's approach to hitting could resonate with the young hitters would be valuable, like every hitter outside bautista. It's impossible to be ok with vizquel but not abreu especially since the cost to the team would be less for the latter.

2009mvp
04-30-2012, 11:41 AM

Wait, what? Agreed with the rest though, no reason for another LH bat unless it's Snider.

Halladay
05-01-2012, 07:10 AM
excellent anaylsis. Others might say, to promote one of the top 3 prospects (with moore and whatshisface in DC).

How bout the message it would send to francisco? Hey, you stink and abreu's approach to hitting could resonate with the young hitters would be valuable, like every hitter outside bautista. It's impossible to be ok with vizquel but not abreu especially since the cost to the team would be less for the latter.

Wait, what? Agreed with the rest though, no reason for another LH bat unless it's Snider.

The fan 590 had reported incorrect stats with Trout. I looked up Abreu's numbers and not Trouts, I assumed they had done their homework.

JaysFan87
05-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Yea too bad he sucks.

armchairgm
05-02-2012, 05:09 AM
No thanks on Abreu he's done.