PDA

View Full Version : Have your thoughts on Al Jefferson changed at all?

Chronz
04-27-2012, 04:15 PM
I used to see alot of, "he puts up stats on bad teams", but now that he has played an integral role on a playoff team that NOBODY had making it, does he deserve All-Star hype?

DLeeicious
04-27-2012, 04:20 PM
I thought this was going to be about him finally staying healthy the last 2 seasons and was shocked to see he has only had one bad injury year missing 32 games 4 years ago. For some reason I had him in the Bogut category injury wise where you just couldn't rely on him. Was way off.

Cal827
04-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Not really, I had him as a top 5-7ish center regardless. At his peak, he's a 20-10 guy. I wished the Raptors used their Bosh TPE and acquired this guy. He would make things a lot easier for our finesse (Non-Rebounding) PF in Bargnani.

Raph12
04-27-2012, 04:30 PM
He's played like a top 3 center this season...

teddygreen17
04-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Nope, he's a B+ type of Player.

Chronz
04-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Yea I wonder why the Raps didnt pick him up, its not like it takes much to take him from Kahn

JayW_1023
04-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Great offensively, but still somewhat confused defensively. I think Favors will overtake his role eventually because he is already more solid on the defensive end.

Bruno
04-27-2012, 04:43 PM
i was really high on Jefferson a couple of years ago. I still think that Jefferson/Love would have been a nasty combo. he's been great, and I think he and Milsap are going to make this series with SA more interesting that people think.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-27-2012, 04:56 PM
He's played like a top 3 center this season...

his defense is suspect though

smith&wesson
04-27-2012, 05:05 PM
I used to see alot of, "he puts up stats on bad teams", but now that he has played an integral role on a playoff team that NOBODY had making it, does he deserve All-Star hype?

To be fair he has never really played on a good team. boston was rebuilding when he was there, as was the twolves.. first time he has played on a semi decent roster in utah he has done really well.

I beleive he could be a legit C on a contender. Miami would love him imo.

Iodine
04-27-2012, 05:15 PM
His post moves are simply beautiful. I have always been a fan of his, and while he has flaws, he still is a great talent

beasted86
04-27-2012, 05:38 PM
I always thought he was probably the 6th best Center in the NBA, and that hasn't changed.

Too many haters/homers on PSD that nobody sees him as his proper rank.

Monta is beast
04-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Na he's a scrub on defense.

JasonJohnHorn
04-27-2012, 09:25 PM
He's a great player, and one of the best C/PFs in the league. I honestly believe that had the C's not traded him for Garnett, they still would have won a title, and the fact that they would have had a young core of Rondo and Jefferson would have put them in better shape to build on for the future. Danny Ainge himself said once they aquired Ray Allen that they were a contender.

Al Jefferson has had the misfortune of playing for bad teams. He was drafted by a team that was rebuilding, then when he was ready to come into his own he was traded to a team that was rebuilding. His rebounding numbers have dipped a little. There was a time when he was among the best rebounders in the league. Maybe he's just on a better rebounding team than he was at the time, but to be in the conversation with Bynum and Howard, he needs to be pulling in 11 or 12 boards a game.

But yeah... I always thought he was a good. He's a 20/10 calbre players. What's not to love.

JasonJohnHorn
04-27-2012, 09:27 PM
I always thought he was probably the 6th best Center in the NBA, and that hasn't changed.

Too many haters/homers on PSD that nobody sees him as his proper rank.

I'm sure if the Heat managed to somehow swing a Joel Anthony/Al Jefferson deal you'd be drooling about the locked in championships the Heat would be winning with him instead of the scrubs they have a center. ;-)

jimbobjarree
04-27-2012, 09:30 PM
his pick and roll 'defense' still cripples us, its a shame because he's such a beast at the other end. As soon as Favors develops a reliable offensive game he will overtake Al, as he is already vastly superior defensively.

jimbobjarree
04-27-2012, 09:32 PM
i was really high on Jefferson a couple of years ago. I still think that Jefferson/Love would have been a nasty combo. he's been great, and I think he and Milsap are going to make this series with SA more interesting that people think.

I'd love to be enlightened on why that pairing didn't work. Surely Al would have thrived with the spacing Love's outside shot would have created, and Love would have thrived due to Al getting doubled?

maybe defense?

b@llhog24
04-27-2012, 09:40 PM
I'd love to be enlightened on why that pairing didn't work. Surely Al would have thrived with the spacing Love's outside shot would have created, and Love would have thrived due to Al getting doubled?

maybe defense?

Love wasn't the shooter he is now.

Monta is beast
04-27-2012, 10:07 PM
If you knew were both going to stay healthy who would you take Bogut or Jefferson?

blastmasta26
04-27-2012, 10:16 PM
If you knew were both going to stay healthy who would you take Bogut or Jefferson?
Bogut.

Sadds The Gr8
04-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Always thought he was pretty good. I'd be surpprised if he was there next year though...I. Think Favors is ready

b@llhog24
04-27-2012, 10:46 PM

Bogut.

Raph12
04-27-2012, 11:27 PM

Bogut was a much better defensive player, but Al is better offensively, he is one of the best scoring options in the post and rarely turns it over. Who's to say Bogut ever bounces back to playing how he was prior to his injuries, he's certainly shown a decline in the last two seasons before injuries.

his defense is suspect though

He's a liability in the pnr, he doesn't have the lateral quickness or size/length to be a dominant defensive player in today's athleticism dominated era... Even a guy like Bynum struggles mightily to guard the pnr well, agility/lateral quickness is very important in today's game on both ends.

Chronz
04-28-2012, 01:07 AM
Yea his PnR D sucks, cant deny that.

Bogut was a much better defensive player, but Al is better offensively, he is one of the best scoring options in the post and rarely turns it over. Who's to say Bogut ever bounces back to playing how he was prior to his injuries, he's certainly shown a decline in the last two seasons before injuries.

He's a liability in the pnr, he doesn't have the lateral quickness or size/length to be a dominant defensive player in today's athleticism dominated era... Even a guy like Bynum struggles mightily to guard the pnr well, agility/lateral quickness is very important in today's game on both ends.
Bynum isnt a liability, hes just inconsistent like a young Shaq.

Raph12
04-28-2012, 01:17 AM
Yea his PnR D sucks, cant deny that.

Bynum isnt a liability, hes just inconsistent like a young Shaq.

Yes but Shaq didn't have knees like Bynum, could Bynum guard the pnr for 40mins against today's athletic guards effectively all game throughout the playoffs? Even with 100% focus, I don't know if Bynum has the stamina, endurance or the knees to hold up and still be nearly as big a factor on offense.

beasted86
04-28-2012, 05:45 AM
I'm sure if the Heat managed to somehow swing a Joel Anthony/Al Jefferson deal you'd be drooling about the locked in championships the Heat would be winning with him instead of the scrubs they have a center. ;-)

Your post doesn't make any sense as I said Jefferson was one of the best Centers in the NBA. Why wouldn't I think the HEAT would be a lot better trading one of the worst starting Centers for one of the best? :confused:

thekmp211
04-28-2012, 08:00 AM
not really, just glad he has stayed healthy and motivated. talent is talent and he's always had it, just like people have said he played on some pretty sorry teams. i'd also still like to see him play the 4, but those days are probably long gone.

PHX2daDEATH
04-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Wish the Suns had gone after him instead of all the dumb moves they made when Amare bolted..i'm going out on a limb and calling an upset in the San Antonio series

mvb815
04-28-2012, 08:09 PM
no doubt he's a stud, but honestly, they should get rid of him while his value is still high, maybe get a good wing player or a more solid point guard. i think utah fans are ready to give favors 35+ minutes a game.

rhymeratic
04-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Not a player I'd want to build my team around... He would be GREAT if on a quality team aka Spurs next to Duncan... but yes his D is forever suspect. I give him props for putting in the effort. Can't say that for a lot of players...

Bruno
04-28-2012, 08:21 PM

maybe defense?

I'm not sure. Hawkeye15 gave me an answer on that once, but I can't recall the specifics. i'm sure he'd be happy to answer through pm or wall post.

Swashcuff
04-28-2012, 08:34 PM
In two seasons we're going to have this very same discussion about Kevin Love. As for my opinion on Al Jeff no it hasn't. I actually think he can still improve his overall game and not just on e offensive end.

Chronz
04-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Yes but Shaq didn't have knees like Bynum, could Bynum guard the pnr for 40mins against today's athletic guards effectively all game throughout the playoffs? Even with 100% focus, I don't know if Bynum has the stamina, endurance or the knees to hold up and still be nearly as big a factor on offense.

Some nights he looks good, some nights its downright sad. Could be the knees, doubt its the stamina tho. I just think its his style, he always concedes the jumper but because hes deceptively long, he can block the shot of guys like CP3. If Bynum had a neck he would probably be 7"2-7"3

VCaintdead17
04-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Na he's a scrub on defense.

Not really. Opponents only shoot 38% against him in the post. His lack of defensive ability is a myth. He's a big dude, and he knows how to use his size on both sides of the floor. Pair him with an elite point guard and he can easily be a second option on a top tier team IMO.

And whoever said Favors defense is already better than Jefferson's is waaaaaaay off.

Jenceman
04-29-2012, 05:10 PM
The problem with him is defense. He always had good postmoves and footwork.

Jenceman
04-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Some nights he looks good, some nights its downright sad. Could be the knees, doubt its the stamina tho. I just think its his style, he always concedes the jumper but because hes deceptively long, he can block the shot of guys like CP3. If Bynum had a neck he would probably be 7"2-7"3

haha yeeee

knicks4life33
04-29-2012, 05:11 PM
hes grown into a really good player from his days from boston to minny

Chronz
04-29-2012, 05:13 PM
haha yeeee

Nice swat on Ty Lawson just now. Bynum is hitting his stride defensively.

Patman
04-30-2012, 05:59 AM
I think one of the biggest improvements is his passing. The guy was a bit of a black hole when he came to Utah, know he seems to find the Cutters and the other Big man when the Double comes, which makes him better. He gets to much hate for his defense, which isn't as bad as it made out to be.

But I don't think an elite P'n'R PG will help him much, the guy isn't a pick and roll player, the Jazz need guys that can cut off the ball and hit threes, and make good entry passes.

ManRam
04-30-2012, 10:21 AM
I've thought pretty highly of him for a while, but after this season, it's grown a bit more. Really love what he's done. He had a tremendous season and it seems to be lost. He was a top 15 player this year, fringe top 10 even.

waveycrockett
04-30-2012, 10:40 AM
As many have said his defense is a Big concern. I still dont think he is a true center.

iam brett favre
04-30-2012, 01:06 PM
If anyone doesn't think Al Jefferson is an all-star they are the people that voted Yao Ming in last year.