PDA

View Full Version : Tanking/7th seed coin toss

SugeKnight
04-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Toronto and Golden State are tied for 7th so the commish is gonna flip a coin to see who gets the 7 spot. This is crucial for the warriors since their pick is top 7 protected.

This raises the question, is it okay to tank? The warriors were blatantly giving games away since the Ellis trade and they might not even keep their pick. Should they have played their hardest to get confidence for next year, or did they do the right thing by tanking.

Cal827
04-27-2012, 03:44 PM
In the long run, it might help the team as this is a pretty good draft so they could score a nice pick. But as of now, it kinda sucks. Although I shouldn't say much, since our GM didn't go out and go after people with the TPE and cap space and in the end conference tried to define the difference between losing purposely and losing with purpose lol. I'm not as mad at them though, cause some of it might be injury problems too... Steph and Bogut are both gonna have surgery. Both of the two players are very important to GS's success so it kinda does make sense that they would lose games.

Honestly, I'm more pissed off in what NJ did. Deron was shut down for the season (was he honestly still hurt?), and in the final games... they shut down HUmphries and Wallace. Hell in the game of NJ and Toronto yesterday. The Starting PF was Deshawn Stevenson :facepalm:. The Raptors didn't play Derozan, or Amir either. If they end up in the top three, some people are gonna be very pissed since NJ clearly tanked the minute they knew Deron was gonna test the market.

Chronz
04-27-2012, 03:52 PM
What makes you think GS was tanking and not just losing due to their lack of talent? Everytime I see them they are playing hard.

Still, a coin toss? I thought those days were done with. Just give it to the team with the least impressive efficiency mark.

beasted86
04-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Is this official? I don't know that there is a coin toss in the NBA.

There has to be some tie breaker unlike the NFL.

Sactown
04-27-2012, 03:55 PM
What makes you think GS was tanking and not just losing due to their lack of talent? Everytime I see them they are playing hard.

Still, a coin toss? I thought those days were done with. Just give it to the team with the least impressive efficiency mark.

Kings are also tied for 5th.. and the Warriors started 5 rookies last game... I didn't even know they had 5 rookies... they were obviously tanking, and so were the Hornets..

SugeKnight
04-27-2012, 04:02 PM

I don't think players would ever tank. They were playing for new contracts (rush and mcguire) or just to stay in the league.

It's the FO and coaching that tanked. They shut down lee and curry when both were ready to come back, lee especially. They gave minutes to rookies instead of veterans. The list goes on

tredigs
04-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Toronto and Golden State are tied for 7th so the commish is gonna flip a coin to see who gets the 7 spot. This is crucial for the warriors since their pick is top 7 protected.

This raises the question, is it okay to tank? The warriors were blatantly giving games away since the Ellis trade and they might not even keep their pick. Should they have played their hardest to get confidence for next year, or did they do the right thing by tanking.

As a WARRIORS FAN you write this? How ridiculous can you be? They were playing their tail off every night, we just had a boatload of injuries and obviously made the Monta/Bogut deal to improve the franchise fundamentally, not for this season.

Curry, Bogut, AND LEE just had surgery this week. You think they could have played?

Anyway, Warriors DID win the flip. Mission success.
http://www.mercurynews.com/warriors/ci_20497079/warriors-win-tiebreaker-will-enter-nba-draft-lottery

The Warriors will have a better than 70 percent chance of keeping their first-round draft pick after winning the tiebreaker with Toronto on Friday.
Golden State and the Raptors finished tied with the seventh-worst record in the NBA. A random drawing held by the NBA in New York broke the tie. The Warriors will be slotted No. 7 entering the draft lottery, and Toronto is slotted No. 8.
Winning the tiebreaker means Golden State has a 12.6 percent chance of moving up into the top three, including a 3.6 percent chance of landing the top pick. There is nearly a 60 percent chance the Warriors will stay at No. 7.

Chronz
04-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Kings are also tied for 5th.. and the Warriors started 5 rookies last game... I didn't even know they had 5 rookies... they were obviously tanking, and so were the Hornets..

Who else would they play? Theyve played alot of guys recently RJ, Mikkie Moore and they seem to be playing to win on most nights. I think they just suck

tredigs
04-27-2012, 04:11 PM
I guess they should have forced D. Lee back out there to close the season, ay?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/18846699/warriors-f-david-lee-abdominal-tear-out-46-weeks-after-surgery

Another day, another Golden State Warriors surgery announcement.

On Thursday, the Warriors announced that star forward David Lee underwent surgery on a torn abdominal muscle and will be sidelined for at least a month.
Golden State Warriors forward David Lee underwent successful surgery this morning to repair torn abdominal and abductor muscles, the team announced. Following the procedure, which was performed by Dr. William Meyers in Philadelphia, Lee is expected to return to on-court basketball activities in 4-6 weeks.

Lee has missed the team's last seven games and will not be with the team for tonight's season finale versus San Antonio.
The news comes one day after Warriors guard Stephen Curry underwent surgery on his right ankle.

Lee's rehabilitation timeline leaves him plenty of time to get healthy prior to training camp in the fall. Heading into next season, he's expected to be half of a one-two frontcourt punch, along with center Andrew Bogut, who was acquired via trade from the Milwaukee Bucks prior to the 2012 trade deadline.

Lee, 28, averaged 20.1 points, 9.6 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game for the Warriors this season. He appeared in 57 games for the Warriors this season, last taking the court on April 12. He is under contract with the Warriors through 2015-2016.

The Warriors are 23-42 on the year and have been eliminated from the 2012 NBA playoffs for some time.

smith&wesson
04-27-2012, 04:15 PM
ya gs was def tanking. raptors werent, coach casey had 10 day contract players beating teams like atlanta and boston who are playoff teams.

raps fans wish we were tanking. but we reallyl werent. derozan always played, as did james johnson who are starters for our team. we didnt just throw our worst guys out there to lose on purpose.

SugeKnight
04-27-2012, 04:15 PM
The players play to win. The front office played to keep the pick.

Geek
04-27-2012, 04:17 PM

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/18846699/warriors-f-david-lee-abdominal-tear-out-46-weeks-after-surgery

Please shut up.

They were clearly tanking games. You must be blind if you didn't see that. Them not playing D-Lee isn't the reason why they are tanking games. They started 5 rookies, they obviously were tanking. It's a ***** thing to do in the NBA, but if your team is that bad you have to do whats best for your team.

tredigs
04-27-2012, 04:18 PM
W's will probably target whichever of Harrison Barnes or Jeremy Lamb if they luck out one more time and don't get bumped out of their top 7 slot.

PG: Steph Curry

SG: Klay Thompson or Lamb

SF: Klay Thompson or Barnes

PF: David Lee

C: Andrew Bogut

Sure.

SugeKnight
04-27-2012, 04:19 PM

Another day, another Golden State Warriors surgery announcement.

On Thursday, the Warriors announced that star forward David Lee underwent surgery on a torn abdominal muscle and will be sidelined for at least a month.
Golden State Warriors forward David Lee underwent successful surgery this morning to repair torn abdominal and abductor muscles, the team announced. Following the procedure, which was performed by Dr. William Meyers in Philadelphia, Lee is expected to return to on-court basketball activities in 4-6 weeks.

Lee has missed the team's last seven games and will not be with the team for tonight's season finale versus San Antonio.
The news comes one day after Warriors guard Stephen Curry underwent surgery on his right ankle.

Lee's rehabilitation timeline leaves him plenty of time to get healthy prior to training camp in the fall. Heading into next season, he's expected to be half of a one-two frontcourt punch, along with center Andrew Bogut, who was acquired via trade from the Milwaukee Bucks prior to the 2012 trade deadline.

Lee, 28, averaged 20.1 points, 9.6 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game for the Warriors this season. He appeared in 57 games for the Warriors this season, last taking the court on April 12. He is under contract with the Warriors through 2015-2016.

The Warriors are 23-42 on the year and have been eliminated from the 2012 NBA playoffs for some time.

David lee wanted to play through it but he was shut down

smith&wesson

no one said anything about david lee.

hey if the warriors are tanking for the future of their team no one can hate on them for that. but at least admit it. its not like other teams werent doing it ..

Geek
The players play to win. The front office played to keep the pick.Correct. You don't tell your team to go lose. You play the Rookies and hope they lose.

Cal827
04-27-2012, 04:20 PM
On a side note, why not split the 7th and 8th place odds equally for both Toronto and Golden State? Doesn't that make the most sense? lol oh wait, this is the NBA :D

tredigs
04-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Please shut up.

They were clearly tanking games. You must be blind if you didn't see that. Them not playing D-Lee isn't the reason why they are tanking games. They started 5 rookies, they obviously were tanking. It's a ***** thing to do in the NBA, but if your team is that bad you have to do whats best for your team.

Hahah who should have played, smart guy? Keep in mind that Curry/Bogut/D. Lee all just had surgery.

Create their starting lineup if you're the Warriors coach and your roster consists of no Curry/Lee/Bogut and Monta is gone.

I watched their games, it's clear you did not. That team was trying. Hard. They just had no impact bodies.

@Cal, that's not a bad way to do it. But fortunately for GS that's not how they did, and we won... the better odds. Raps could still leapfrog them and kill our first round pick (tho' we still have San Antonio's).

smith&wesson
04-27-2012, 04:21 PM
W's will probably target whichever of Harrison Barnes or Jeremy Lamb if they luck out one more time and don't get bumped out of their top 7 slot.

PG: Steph Curry

SG: Klay Thompson or Lamb

SF: Klay Thompson or Barnes

PF: David Lee

C: Andrew Bogut

Sure.

I feel for golden state. they have some good pieces and the injuries to bogut and curry were soo unfortunate. kinda reminds me of the trail blazers with oden and roy. but at least bogut and curries injuries arent career ending. thats one positive.

tredigs
04-27-2012, 04:26 PM
no one said anything about david lee.

hey if the warriors are tanking for the future of their team no one can hate on them for that. but at least admit it. its not like other teams werent doing it ..

With the Monta for Bogut trade, they were in a sense. Although if it was Monta out there with no D. Lee or Curry, we're still not winning games at an even remotely decent clip.

But yes, I look at that move as a clear move for the future, not for this season. And why wouldn't they have done that? Season was well under way and it was clear we weren't going anywhere. It was their only chance at netting an elite big, had to take it.

I feel for golden state. they have some good pieces and the injuries to bogut and curry were soo unfortunate. kinda reminds me of the trail blazers with oden and roy. but at least bogut and curries injuries arent career ending. thats one positive.

Bogut's were both just random/weird injuries - that monsterous fall on his arm and then coming down so awkward on a foot going for his 4th or 5th block of the quarter - just bad luck. I'm staying optimistic that he has no reason not to have a healthy year next season. Although I KNOW how jaded Bucks fans (and others) are about that prospect. D. Lee I'm not worried about at all. Steph on the other hand, that's our wild card.

But if Klay continues to improve and we do net Lamb or Barnes? I'm a happy Warrior fan. Most positive season we've had since the "We Believe" Dubs half a decade ago. Here's to the future --

smith&wesson
04-27-2012, 04:28 PM
On a side note, why not split the 7th and 8th place odds equally for both Toronto and Golden State? Doesn't that make the most sense? lol oh wait, this is the NBA :D

this

smith&wesson
04-27-2012, 04:31 PM
With the Monta for Bogut trade, they were in a sense. Although if it was Monta out there with no D. Lee or Curry, we're still not winning games at an even remotely decent clip.

But yes, I look at that move as a clear move for the future, not for this season. And why wouldn't they have done that? Season was well under way and it was clear we weren't going anywhere. It was their only chance at netting an elite big, had to take it.

Bogut's were both just random/weird injuries - that monsterous fall on his arm and then coming down so awkward on a foot going for his 4th or 5th block of the quarter - just bad luck. I'm staying optimistic that he has no reason not to have a healthy year next season. Although I KNOW how jaded Bucks fans (and others) are about that prospect. D. Lee I'm not worried about at all. Steph on the other hand, that's our wild card.

But if Klay continues to improve and we do net Lamb or Barnes? I'm a happy Warrior fan. Most positive season we've had since the "We Believe" Dubs half a decade ago. Here's to the future --

Def agree.

i was a bandwagon golden state fan during that playoff series your reffering to when they beat the mavs. one of the most exciting play off series i ever witnessed. cant blame me for being a bandwagon fan at the time though cuz im from toronto lol .. but it was awesome to watch b diddy on one leg destroying the mavs lol (nothing against mavs)