PDA

View Full Version : Delmon Young Arrested for "hate crime" assualt while highly intoxicated

Ron!n
04-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Swung on and belted by Delmon Young allegedly.
The New York Post is reporting that police arrested Young, a slugger for the Detroit Tigers, and charged him with assault after a fight early Friday morning outside of the team's hotel in midtown Manhattan. Police were called around 2:40 a.m. after Young allegedly scuffled with a 32-year-old man and pushed him to the ground, causing minor scratches. Young spent the night at a hospital because he was "highly intoxicated" and needed to sober up before being taken to jail to be booked, the paper says.
But that's not all. The Detroit Free Press also reports that the assault charge counts as an aggravated hate crime, a misdemeanor, because of what Young allegedly said during the incident:
"Basically, there was an incident at the hotel (and) some anti-Semitic remarks," said Detective Joseph Cavitolo.
OK.
This would be the second violent incident involving Young (that we know about) since Tampa Bay made him the top overall pick in the draft in 2003.
As a minor leaguer in 2006, Young famously was suspended for 50 games and he probably should have been arrested, too for throwing a bat at an umpire during a dispute over a called third strike. Today marks the sixth anniversary of his suspension.
So, he's got a temper. And possibly a problem with alcohol. And maybe a problem with Jewish people.
Young is just 26 years old, but his career as a major leaguer has been uneven at best. Aside from a great season with the Minnesota Twins in 2010 and a nice run with the Tigers late last season and in the playoffs, Young has been below-average at the plate and erratic in the outfield. He does possess a strong throwing arm. But he's always been marked by complaints about his attitude. And he's not so productive that teams will let him continue this sort of alleged behavior.
They shouldn't, anyway.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/highly-intoxicated-delmon-young-arrested-hate-crime-related-144804796.html;_ylt=AucBigVg.lKyqNemAHod2W7sYcp_;_ ylu=X3oDMTFja3NwYTFmBG1pdANCbG9ncyBJbmRleARwb3MDMQ RzZWMDTWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXhUZW1w;_ylg=X3oDMTFvcGs0cn BnBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANi bG9nBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

Can it be a hate crime when the guy is drunk out of his mind? Either way, this could possibly end his career.

Pinstripe pride
04-27-2012, 11:14 AM
hate crime is one of the dumbest lawas ever.

delmon young if a ****ing moron

infernoscurse
04-27-2012, 11:16 AM
i love newyork!

LionsFan..LOL
04-27-2012, 11:27 AM
You sir, Delolmon Young, are a *******. Please leave Detroit.

JeffFrankGore
04-27-2012, 11:30 AM

Haha, we're in agreement there, but you know sharpton would be all over this if david wright was beating up a black guy.

Assman22
04-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Tampa Bay sure did draft a bunch of bums with terrible character....Delmon Young, BJ Upton, and Elijah Dukes all went down the same path. A hate crime is a communistic crime. Since when was free speech abolished? Just because he said something stupid and ignorant when he was hammered, doesn't make it a crime. Fighting someone is another story.

JDIsMyGod23
04-27-2012, 11:51 AM
This sucks for AL Central fan because he's so terrible this might actually help Detroit.

levignjw
04-27-2012, 11:56 AM

this. Wish we could've traded him in the offseason but everyone just must underestimate his fielding skills :)

MotownWebGuy
04-27-2012, 12:16 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/highly-intoxicated-delmon-young-arrested-hate-crime-related-144804796.html;_ylt=AucBigVg.lKyqNemAHod2W7sYcp_;_ ylu=X3oDMTFja3NwYTFmBG1pdANCbG9ncyBJbmRleARwb3MDMQ RzZWMDTWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXhUZW1w;_ylg=X3oDMTFvcGs0cn BnBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANi bG9nBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

Can it be a hate crime when the guy is drunk out of his mind? Either way, this could possibly end his career.

A misdemeanor ends his career?
Or will new felony charges possibly be filed?

MotownWebGuy
04-27-2012, 12:17 PM

That was the plan all-along..... free agency in November.

The sad part is our top-tier outfield prospects won't be ready until late 2013 - spring 2014. Trying to sign a good free agent this winter to a one year contract will be a difficult task. Andy Dirks is not a smart short-term fix for next season. Plus, who knows what Austin Jackson will do this season. That could turn into another outfield concern for Dombrowski.

So when asking Delmon to leave right now, be careful what you ask for.

2009mvp
04-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Tampa Bay sure did draft a bunch of bums with terrible character....Delmon Young, BJ Upton, and Elijah Dukes all went down the same path. A hate crime is a communistic crime. Since when was free speech abolished? Just because he said something stupid and ignorant when he was hammered, doesn't make it a crime. Fighting someone is another story.

What did BJ do? Not running out groundballs=/=terrible character.

Fly
04-27-2012, 12:33 PM
delmon young is such an idiot

Yankee Clipper
04-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Oh Delmon :facepalm:

ElFuturoDeESPN
04-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Stay classy, Delmon.

pd1dish
04-27-2012, 12:43 PM
So, he's got a temper. And possibly a problem with alcohol. And maybe a problem with Jewish people.

hahahaha

redbird89
04-27-2012, 12:44 PM
All that talent, not very good judgment.

Maybe people who have bad tempers shouldn't be drunk in public. Really if you're well-known, you probably shouldn't be drunk in public anyway.

Havoc Wreaker
04-27-2012, 01:07 PM
hahahaha
I LoL'd at that same part.

MotownWebGuy
04-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Commissioner Bud Selig is Jewish.
Oh Boy!!!:facepalm:

NYY09
04-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Wow, what a tool.

Mr Haha
04-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Haha, we're in agreement there, but you know sharpton would be all over this if david wright was beating up a black guy.

Because Al Sharpton is black, and has spent his life defending the civil rights of black people, an historically and actively persecuted segment of our society. David Wright on the other hand is white, a segment of society that, historically and actively, has not been persecuted, but has been in command of society and given innumerable advantages by virtue of nothing other than skin tone. I refer you to this white stand-up comic for further clarification on this point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CmzT4OV-w0&feature=fvst

In this instance, antisemitism is at the root of the problem. Jews have been persecuted and slaughtered since the beginning of recorded history, which is why hate crimes are necessary for deterrence. If anyone has been treated worse than people of color, it's been Jews.

Before you comment on an issue as serious as this, and as complex, try to think a bit, before coming off like a supremely ignorant person. Or, better yet, stick to sports.

Pinstripe pride
04-27-2012, 01:59 PM

the south park episode with hate crimes put it perfectly.

white guy kills white guy or black guy kills black guy = bad. white guy kills black guy or blakc guy kills white guy = worse. how, i'll never understand

Mr Haha
04-27-2012, 02:05 PM

white guy kills white guy or black guy kills black guy = bad. white guy kills black guy or blakc guy kills white guy = worse. how, i'll never understand

Did your high school history curriculum skip the Civil War era?

FUKudomeYOMOMMA
04-27-2012, 02:14 PM
I like to imagine that he was doing a cartman impersonation when he was spewing anti-semetics

Johann
04-27-2012, 02:31 PM
lol Delmon Young... Good thing he didn't stick around in Minnesota *cough* Danny Valencia *cough*

Kelly Gruber
04-27-2012, 02:44 PM
What a waste of talent that dude is... Probably could have seen this coming after the bata throwing incident... Never understand why these guys put themselves in these situations. Too much to lose, hell I can't even risk it with my job! Nevermind being a pro athlete with so much to lose.

Pinstripe pride
04-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Did your high school history curriculum skip the Civil War era?

whats does that have to do with today?

BrianWestKins
04-27-2012, 04:05 PM

No, white guy kills black guy BECAUSE he's black or black guy kills white guy BECAUSE he's white = worse.

Pinstripe pride
04-27-2012, 04:12 PM
No, white guy kills black guy BECAUSE he's black or black guy kills white guy BECAUSE he's white = worse.

why? why is white killing some for being blakc worse than killing someone for money or jealousy or no reason at all? killing is killing. its not worse based on why you do it.

lets say a white guy kills a black guy becuase eh doesnt like black people. thats a ahte crime. lets say another white guy kills another white guy because he doesnt like him. whats the difference? if you see a differnece, you're actually part of the problem. You shouldnt see white guy or blakc guy, you should see 2 dead guys

ManningToTyree
04-27-2012, 04:24 PM

so true

Mr Haha
04-27-2012, 04:28 PM
whats does that have to do with today?

Well this explains a whole heck of a lot about you.

Mr Haha
04-27-2012, 04:36 PM

Nuff said.

mark1125
04-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Assuming that he is found guilty (we don't have all the facts yet, but that never stops PSD), I hope the Tigers can void his contract and no one else brings him around.

Even if they can't void the deal, just cut his ***. I am sure they can go out and sign a Matsui or Vlad to DH and be just as effective.

Jeffy25
04-27-2012, 05:36 PM
I have a hard time believing the first line of the story.

They called Young a slugger, he has a career .426 slugging percentage.

That isn't a slugger.

mark1125
04-27-2012, 05:42 PM
I have a hard time believing the first line of the story.

They called Young a slugger, he has a career .426 slugging percentage.

That isn't a slugger.

Agreed. He can go on some nice hot streaks, but he is not a good player. Very over rated. Now he is an over rated douche.

awesomeovie8
04-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Because Al Sharpton is black, and has spent his life defending the civil rights of black people, an historically and actively persecuted segment of our society. David Wright on the other hand is white, a segment of society that, historically and actively, has not been persecuted, but has been in command of society and given innumerable advantages by virtue of nothing other than skin tone. I refer you to this white stand-up comic for further clarification on this point:

In this instance, antisemitism is at the root of the problem. Jews have been persecuted and slaughtered since the beginning of recorded history, which is why hate crimes are necessary for deterrence. If anyone has been treated worse than people of color, it's been Jews.

Before you comment on an issue as serious as this, and as complex, try to think a bit, before coming off like a supremely ignorant person. Or, better yet, stick to sports.

I have no idea if Delmon Young is antisemitic or not but I will not agree with your statement that "if anyone has been treated worse than people of color, it's been Jews." Almost every culture has been treated poorly at one time or another. Are you aware that during the holocaust just as many Christians were slaughtered? How about the religious wars between the Muslims and Christians or even the infighting throughout the last 2000 years between different religious sects? Unfortunately us Jews still hold on to the past as if the world has something against us. I am sick of the world being proven right, when they generalize that we are complainers. We haven't had it any worse than anyone else, we just haven't gotten over it. This is what has driven me to hang out more with what my relatives call "gentiles." I argue that all that term does is generalize a group of people and the older relatives say it with a negative tone. That is the attitude we must lose. Currently, we are our own worst enemy. I feel we must become happier and more progressive.

Jeffy25
04-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Can we not turn this into a race or ethnic discussion? Please.

mark1125
04-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Can we not turn this into a race or ethnic discussion? Please.

All it takes is a drunken rambling form a dumbass to make PSD posters scramble for their soapboxes.

Now if he is found guilty of a hate crime (or even if he pleads out), does this make his contract voidable? I have to imagine that has to be on the minds of management.

MotownWebGuy
04-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Seven day suspension for Delmon Young

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120430/SPORTS0104/204300407/Tigers-Delmon-Young-draws-7-day-suspension-from-MLB?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Texas Holders
05-01-2012, 12:01 AM

You obviously don't know the definition of what a hate crime is. Calling someone a racial slur is not a hate crime. Hate crime laws do not infringe on freedom of speech at all. What you are referring to is hate speech, which is legal in the US since any such law would be unconstitutional. What you say can be illegal if you say something that includes the treat of imminent violence. Basically, people have the right to not have their lives threatened, but they don't have the right to not be called names.

MotownWebGuy
05-01-2012, 09:50 AM
You obviously don't know the definition of what a hate crime is. Calling someone a racial slur is not a hate crime. Hate crime laws do not infringe on freedom of speech at all. What you are referring to is hate speech, which is legal in the US since any such law would be unconstitutional. What you say can be illegal if you say something that includes the treat of imminent violence. Basically, people have the right to not have their lives threatened, but they don't have the right to not be called names.

After the Rocker episode, MLB execs made some changes with their own by-laws. They installed some of their own hate crime language that players must abide with. It remains to-be0-seen if Delmon violated any hate crime language - whether it be MLB and/or USA language.

Sounds like Delmon will pay a fine eventually - with some probation and involuntary service time attached. He will likely need to settle "monetarily" out-of-court with those he physically / verbally abused. If he fails to deliver those goods, a civil court likely awaits him.

Pinstripe pride
05-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Well this explains a whole heck of a lot about you.

yes is the civil war blacks were slaves. and yes blakcs have been vicitms of racist laws and persecution. not today. they have equal rights. so i ask again, why if the law is suppsoed to view everyone as equals, is it a worse crime for lets say a white guy to kill a black guy than if the same white guy killed another white guy? despite what people want to make you beleive, to problem is he is a murderer, not the race of his vicitim.

how can anyone say they want equality, and be ok with a law that basically says we are all not equal? the answer is that no one wants equality. the just want to take the bad inequalities away, while keeping any benifits they get from inequalities. this is one example. you kill someone, it doesn't matter what race they are, you are a monster and should be punished. the race of the vicitim should be irrelavent, as again all that does is promote inequality

Algmuskrats
05-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Young gets a 7 day suspension from MLB.

AllKohn
05-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Delmon Young is a *******.

For those arguing the relevance of hate crimes, are you upset that you are held accountable for your racism? The purpose of these laws is to make sure that every citizen is free of harassment in their work and personal lives. I work at a bar where several regulars love yelling "get me another beer, jew." I have thrown them out several times-but they either laugh it off or say -we're just kidding around. They honestly don't see what the issue is with screaming "Jew" at me.I understand why people have issues with other cultures- many were raised by small minded parents, but it does not excuse the behavior.

To quote Rodney King- can't we all just get along?

mobbdeep
05-01-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't think MLB should suspend someone until they are proven guilty. Bud Selig acting like he is Roger Goodell now

Algmuskrats
05-01-2012, 12:24 PM
This is just an iffy topic to talk about due to the background of racism that could be discussed.

MotownWebGuy
05-01-2012, 01:04 PM
I don't think MLB should suspend someone until they are proven guilty. Bud Selig acting like he is Roger Goodell now

Delmon Young has pleaded guilty. He's not denying any of the accusations that were presented in the police report.

Texas Holders
05-01-2012, 08:14 PM
After the Rocker episode, MLB execs made some changes with their own by-laws. They installed some of their own hate crime language that players must abide with. It remains to-be0-seen if Delmon violated any hate crime language - whether it be MLB and/or USA language.

Sounds like Delmon will pay a fine eventually - with some probation and involuntary service time attached. He will likely need to settle "monetarily" out-of-court with those he physically / verbally abused. If he fails to deliver those goods, a civil court likely awaits him.

True, MLB can certainly suspend/fine a player for such behavior without it involving criminal charges.

Joe33
05-02-2012, 05:06 AM

This.

I was at the game that day, sitting beside four Tigers fans who told me what happened. Despite the stupidity of these hate laws, I can't say I sympathize with Young, he's possibly a bigger A-hole than his brother.

Great week for Tampa Bay picks. MLB teams might start using wonderlic.