PDA

View Full Version : Jordan defends his team says they are "being judged wrong"

spreadeagle
04-26-2012, 09:12 PM
I want what MJ is smoking

Charlotte Bobcats owner Michael Jordan took some heat last week as his team looked as if they were going to post the worst record ever in the NBA. They sealed their fate this past Wednesday night with a loss to the Orlando Magic, and Jordan as well as the team has received a high volume of criticism which Mike feels is unwarranted.

Talks of Mike's administration being a bunch of "yes men", afraid to address him, was something that Jordan felt was ridiculous and he sought to put those talks to rest.

"It's absolutely wrong that I don't want guys to challenge me. And the people who say that aren't in the room".

"The idea that people can't do that is just wrong. Curtis Polk, team Vice Chairman, has worked with me for over 20 years and he's never had a problem telling me, 'no.' Rod Higgins has no problem telling me no. Fred Whitfield has no problem telling me 'no.' And Rich Cho is about as direct and candid a person as you'll ever meet."

Jordan revealed that he felt his squad would have their issues throughout the season, but the worst record in the league was something he didn't foresee.

"This was going to be a trying year – we knew that. But did we want to chase the most Ping-Pong balls? No way.''

"Ever since I've owned the team, I think we've made some very positive moves on the business side. We had to make a difficult decision to turn over the talent."

"This year the talent we had didn't respond, but that doesn't cause me to turn my back on the plan."

Even though the organization is obviously in rebuilding mode, MJ remains optimistic about the team's future.

"They are being judged wrongfully. We're on the right track,'' Jordan said. "I didn't anticipate a season anything like this, but we had to make some difficult decisions, with Boris Diaw, for instance (Bobcats bought out his contract).

Better luck next season.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/04/25/3198262/michael-jordan-defends-bobcats.html

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-26-2012, 09:15 PM
When he said success on business side, he meant getting rid of fat contracts like a Diaw.

He failed on the b-ball side, getting rid of G-Wall and Tyson Chandler.

spreadeagle
04-26-2012, 09:16 PM
When he said success on business side, he meant getting rid of fat contracts like a Diaw.

didnt he sign that deal or trade to get him...so hes just making good on his own bad moves lol

Cal827
04-26-2012, 09:26 PM
It takes talent... to suck this badly.... Seriously, who the hell's their President? Paris Hilton?

Chronz
04-26-2012, 09:30 PM
I know its good to be in last place if your rebuilding but being this bad is hard to reverse. Hopefully Russell 2.0 can have more success than Emeka in becoming a defensive pillar.

blastmasta26
04-26-2012, 09:51 PM
Jordan's right. They're being judged on their ability to win games rather than their ability to win the lottery. Damn you media!

29$JerZ
04-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Felton/Wallace/Emeka/Tyson/J-Rich have been on that team and all are gone

He failed.

Rego247
04-26-2012, 09:54 PM
They're being judged on their record.

Nothing wrong about that.

iamsteel
04-27-2012, 12:06 AM
I'm sure he has been following Anthony Davis hard since last offseason

eibbor
04-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Indiana University would beat them by 25... He needs to hire someone to decide trades, Fa's and the draft and never make a team decision again. Only your money is needed. Lack of wisdom/basketball decisions can be made by virtually anybody with a heartbeat.

THE GIPPER
04-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Felton/Wallace/Emeka/Tyson/J-Rich have been on that team and all are gone

He failed.

Nope because even if they're still their that team is nowhere near a championship team. Thats a team stuck in mediocrity and in the NBA thats worse than being what the Bobcats are right now.

THE MTL
04-27-2012, 12:42 AM
Bobcats are a joke of a team. Seriously, MJ's collection of horrible contracts and bad trades are a joke.

Diop gets full midlevel and then you give Tyrus Thomas 8 million per season. for what?

G-Wallace, Emeka Okafor (at the time), Stephen Jackson have talent! And they were traded for pennies.

And the team showed so much promise a couple years back making their first playoff appearance and all.

ewing
04-27-2012, 01:27 AM
Bernie was doing a nice job in char before Micheal ran him out. Sorry but you cant misjudge an NBA team that lost 23 games in a row

bholly
04-27-2012, 02:11 AM
The funny thing is the Bobcats were praised for the way they were run in the early years - going young in the expansion draft, stockpiling draft picks (like the awesome trade for the Clippers pick that ended up being Okafor), not offering their cap space to mediocre vets to try and get a bit better immediately at the cost of long run flexibility. Hell, some people even liked that they seemed to go out of their way to get UNC guys.
They were, at least for a small while, the poster children for rebuilding properly - patiently and through the draft and not worrying about winning immediately.
If their draft picks had've turned out to be Durant and Westbrook and Harden, rather than Okafor and Morrison and Felton, we'd think of them way differently. I'm not excusing them, they made some bad picks and have made some even worse trades and other decisions, I'm just saying it's funny how so many have changed their tune with hindsight.

abe_froman
04-27-2012, 02:28 AM

....which gave him the best shot at getting davis,not much of failure moves wise

metsfan99999
04-27-2012, 03:22 AM
Nope because even if they're still their that team is nowhere near a championship team. Thats a team stuck in mediocrity and in the NBA thats worse than being what the Bobcats are right now.

I agree, we can look at the elite teams and it is clear that you need to build around top draft picks. To be an elite team, you need a cornerstone guy, and those are almost always top draft picks. Obviously Emeka was a top pick and didn't completely pan out, but it seems clear that the easiest way to build a contender is through a high draft pick.

Bulls: D-Rose #1 overall
Heat- D-Wade #5 overall, didn't draft Lebron but he was #1 overall and Bosh was #4 overall
San Antonio- Duncan #1 overall
OKC- Durant #2 overall

theheatles
04-27-2012, 09:11 AM
LeBron could go to Charlotte and I'm not sure they become a playoff team, they are that bad

ROY 2 MVP Braun
04-27-2012, 09:57 AM
LeBron could go to Charlotte and I'm not sure they become a playoff team, they are that bad

with lebron your right prob not but if u put kobe on that team they'd be the number 2 seed behind the bulls haha

yanksrock
04-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Awful owner, awful team. Nuff said.

Mr_Amaziing
04-27-2012, 10:22 AM
They'll surprise alot of people next year. They have a pretty good team on paper but lacks the effort. They just need a new coach. And when they draft Anthony Davis they'll be set

Pg- Walker
Sg- Henderson
Sf- ? Maybe sign Jeff Green
Pf- Bismack ( Serge Ibaka 2.0 ) / White
C- Davis / Mullens

That's actually a nice start for rebuilding

Vincent
04-27-2012, 10:28 AM
I don't get why people are calling Jordan an awful owner so early in his ownership.

Bobcats weren't a good team when he bought them, and he knew that they were stuck in basketball hell, so he said he rather them be an awful team rather than a first round exit every year.

At least he as aspirations for them to be an elite team. A lot of owners around the league are more concerned with ticket sales and revenues than winning.

And some owners are just an embarrassment to their franchise (Donald Sterling).

justinnum1
04-27-2012, 10:35 AM
I don't get why people are calling Jordan an awful owner so early in his ownership.

Bobcats weren't a good team when he bought them, and he knew that they were stuck in basketball hell, so he said he rather them be an awful team rather than a first round exit every year.

At least he as aspirations for them to be an elite team. A lot of owners around the league are more concerned with ticket sales and revenues than winning.

And some owners are just an embarrassment to their franchise (Donald Sterling).
He gave tyrus thomas 40million.

Vincent
04-27-2012, 10:45 AM
He gave tyrus thomas 40million.

Tyrus Thomas's problems never were talent, they were character issues and basketball IQ.

The guy is a high risk high reward kind of player.

Was it stupid? Yes
Would I have done it? No

Luckily for Jordan, I think they can still amnesty him... lol

justinnum1
04-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Tyrus Thomas's problems never were talent, they were character issues and basketball IQ.

The guy is a high risk high reward kind of player.

Was it stupid? Yes
Would I have done it? No

Luckily for Jordan, I think they can still amnesty him... lol

yea, he really needs to do that asap

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-27-2012, 10:51 AM
They'll surprise alot of people next year. They have a pretty good team on paper but lacks the effort. They just need a new coach. And when they draft Anthony Davis they'll be set

Pg- Walker
Sg- Henderson
Sf- ? Maybe sign Jeff Green
Pf- Bismack ( Serge Ibaka 2.0 ) / White
C- Davis / Mullens

That's actually a nice start for rebuilding

actually its not, only guy that has star potential is Davis and he hasnt even played in NBA

hawkeyefootball
04-27-2012, 11:24 AM
To be honest, after one more year of abysmal play they'll be in a good position (as long as they win the lottery). Sometimes you just have to suck for several years to get better.

If they get the top pick the next couple years (there's a good chance they'll be the worst team in the league again next year) they could have a great young core.

Kemba
Shabazz Muhammad?
Veteran
Biyombo
Andre Davis

RaiderLakersA's
04-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Jordan knows that the only measure of greatness is winning. Stop it with the excuses.

teddygreen17
04-27-2012, 12:24 PM
We are judging them wrong...we thought that MJ was a competent exec in the first place...now we know.

torocan
04-27-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm not going to judge them until after the draft and offseason.

We'll find out how good a FO they have once we see what their final team is going to look like.

Worst winning percentage sucks, but if they put together a really good team next year, I don't think anyone will be talking about this year's awful performance.

People probably be falling over themselves saying how they saw it coming.

Go go 20-20 hindsight!

LAKERMANIA
04-27-2012, 01:51 PM
This all depends if they get #1 pick in the draft and if they select Anthony Davis..

iam brett favre
04-27-2012, 01:52 PM
MJ is a joke of an owner. He needs to put his ego aside and just leave.

Nighthawk
04-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Well what do we expect him to say? My squad is and out right embarrassment to the NBA and I desperately need to step down. ALL his trades to me seem to favor the other team. Getting the 1st pick and Anthony Davis to pair up with Kemba is a pretty decent start. I like me some Bismack as well

JasonJohnHorn
04-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Jordan: On the court, best team ever (72-10). In the office.... worst team ever.

It all balances out to .500 at the end of the day.

Look... Jordan breaks records, that what he does. This season is another record he set.

torocan
04-27-2012, 04:00 PM
One thing that folks forget about the previous record holder (the 76ers) is their record improved EVERY YEAR for the next 6 years, winning the Atlantic Division in their 5th and 6th year after their awful season.

In their 5th year they lost in the Championships.
In their 6th year they lost in the ECF.

72-73 9-73 (.110)
73-74 25-37 (.305)
74-75 34-48 (.415)
75-76 46-36 (.561) (1st round elimination)
76-77 50-32 (.610) (Atlantic winner, lost in Championship to Portland 2-4)
77-78 55-27 (.671) (Atlantic winner, lost in ECF to Washington 2-4)

And from 76-83 were in the NBA Finals 4 out of 7 years, won the Championships once, and were in the ECF 6 out of 7 years.

So yah, I'll wait to see what happens before I judge MJ too harshly.