PDA

View Full Version : Mets' Pitcher Mike Pelfrey to Undergo Tommy John Surgery

Mudvayne91
04-26-2012, 04:48 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/04/mike-pelfrey-to-undergo-tommy-john-surgery.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Mets right-hander Mike Pelfrey is expected to miss the rest of the 2012 season to undergo and recover from Tommy John surgery. Manager Terry Collins told reporters that Pelfrey will likely have ligament replacement surgery, Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports (Twitter links). Pelfrey himself says there's a 99% chance he'll have the operation, according to Martino.

This could represent the end of Pelfrey's Mets career. He'll earn $5.68MM in 2012 and the Mets would have to offer a similar salary to retain him for 2013. As Matt Swartz showed earlier today, injured players don't generally take pay cuts in arbitration, so the Mets might prefer to non-tender their 2005 first round selection instead. The 28-year-old had pitched well in three 2012 starts and owns a 4.36 ERA with 5.1 K/9 and 3.2 BB/9 in parts of seven MLB seasons. Scott Boras represents Pelfrey, who is under team control through 2013.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7859089/mike-pelfrey-new-york-mets-undergo-tommy-john-surgery

NEW YORK -- New York Mets right-hander Mike Pelfrey is headed to Birmingham, Ala., where he is expected to undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery, manager Terry Collins said.

The surgery will be performed by Dr. James Andrews.

A source told ESPNNewYork.com on Tuesday that an MRI revealed a partial tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in Pelfrey's right elbow.

"The prognosis was not very good," Collins said.

This could mark the end of Pelfrey's Mets career. He's arbitration-eligible one more time, but is making $5.6875 million this year, making him a definite non-tender candidate in December.

Right-hander Chris Schwinden will take Pelfrey's rotation spot Friday against the Colorado Rockies in Denver.

I didn't see it posted, sorry if it has.

Pinstripe pride
04-27-2012, 08:52 AM
well that sucks for him and mets fans

ritz
04-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Yeah, it does. Many Mets fans hated this guy for all the wrong reasons. He's also been a league average, innings eater, but after Collins named him the OD starter in 2011 the media threw out the whole "Pelfrey's starting in Johan's spot. He's now the ace". Why anyone would expect him to be an ace is beyond me. He's never put up those kind of numbers, but unrealistic expectations were the death of him in NY. He has value being a workhorse/innings eater and this is the first time he's ever been on the DL. Mets fans will miss him. I've always supported him. He's much better than the guy replacing him.

Deemerc
04-27-2012, 10:10 AM
:facepalm: I can't believe this.

utl768
04-27-2012, 10:55 AM
just the other day i was thinking how lucky the mets were that he was one of the few young pitchers to have avoided major arm trouble and then boom tommy john surgery

he was never that great but he was valueable because he put up 30 starts and gave you 180 innings

Pinstripe pride
04-27-2012, 10:58 AM
just the other day i was thinking how lucky the mets were that he was one of the few young pitchers to have avoided major arm trouble and then boom tommy john surgery

he was never that great but he was valueable because he put up 30 starts and gave you 180 innings

as good as they have gottenw itht hat surgury, players should just get it in the minors preemptivly