PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jays vs. Orioles - worth noting

admarket
04-26-2012, 05:49 AM
O's pitchers have given up just one home run in the last 46 innings.

The Blue Jays are hitting a Major League-leading .355 (45-for-134) with runners in scoring position.

torontosports10
04-26-2012, 06:15 AM
Omg, that's like, the best information ever.

ahoda
04-26-2012, 06:42 AM
I read the title as: Blue Jays vs. Orioles - worth nothing

Pinstripe pride
04-26-2012, 09:38 AM
can't what for the annual O's collapse

ManningToTyree
04-26-2012, 10:33 AM

So did I.

Mitchell133
04-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Orioles are playing their best possible baseball and the Blue Jays couldn't be playing any worse right now.

Good job on the sweep O's, but we'll catch up later.

Zaunnie
04-26-2012, 11:23 AM

wait...that's not the title?

scottythegreat1
04-26-2012, 01:21 PM
can't what for the annual O's collapse

I thought I was the only one to notice that they usually start off good, then collapse.

As a Blue Jays fan, seeing them 1-4 against the Orioles and 4-7 against the AL East so far is very frustrating.

Pinstripe pride
04-26-2012, 01:51 PM
I thought I was the only one to notice that they usually start off good, then collapse.

As a Blue Jays fan, seeing them 1-4 against the Orioles and 4-7 against the AL East so far is very frustrating.

i live in baltimroe, trust me people notice.

Part of the reason o's fans lose interest. they come intot he seaon with litte hope, start strong to give hope, and compeltley implode to annoy their fans

hustleloyrspct
04-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Im sick of all this negative talk about the orioles. Im just saying they are better than the jays and there's. Really no argument. 2 straight series wins its time for a change.

Farsight
04-26-2012, 02:00 PM
two series does not prove that they are the "better" team, it proves that Baltimore was better for those games. There is a reason why you play 162 games, and you DONT rely on such a small sample

treeleaf
04-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Im sick of all this negative talk about the orioles. Im just saying they are better than the jays and there's. Really no argument. 2 straight series wins its time for a change.

Well the O's might have won a handful of games against us early in the season but we play better against other teams. And considering we only play a fraction of our games vs the O's, we will most definitely finish ahead of your guys once again. Although after the jays completely embarrassed the O's last season, im happy their fans have something to get excited about.

aman_13
04-26-2012, 02:17 PM
I can't believe the Blue Jays are losing to the Orioles. They dominated them the last two years and there should be no reason why shouldn't this year, unless maybe the Orioles are for real. Still early though. The last thing any team in the AL East want is a five team race.

Mitchell133
04-26-2012, 02:31 PM

Hah!

hustleloyrspct
04-26-2012, 02:31 PM
It may just be a sample but you can't argue that their bullpen hasn't been dominant. But don't worry tonight the jays will win because matusz is as big of a bust as you will see. Wish we would just cut him because he is trash.

keymax
04-26-2012, 02:34 PM
The Orioles can hit, there's no question about that especially if Reimold establishes himself as a everyday player. But their pitching is still suspect although they got off to a really good start.

hustleloyrspct
04-26-2012, 02:46 PM
After hammel and arrieta I agree with you. Which is why I expect the orioles to trade Adam Jones for a starter. Also dont forget about that guy Bundy.

Mitchell133
04-26-2012, 02:57 PM
After hammel and arrieta I agree with you. Which is why I expect the orioles to trade Adam Jones for a starter. Also dont forget about that guy Bundy.
Hammel is legitimate, I'll buy that.

Arrieta? As a #4 starter? Sure.

Bundy might make an impact in 2014 the way he's getting stretched out.

Remember though, your offense put up 4 runs through 13 innings against Alvarez and Drabek. If the Jays are hitting like they were in Kansas, the O's aren't looking so hot right now.

hustleloyrspct
04-26-2012, 03:31 PM

Remember though, your offense put up 4 runs through 13 innings against Alvarez and Drabek. If the Jays are hitting like they were in Kansas, the O's aren't looking so hot right now.

Again someone saying the whole reason the Jays haven't been scoring is all because of the Jays. Why can't you just admit that its more of dominant pitching than the Jays hitters under performing. If you say Arrieta is a number 4 starter at best than you obviously have no clue about what your talking about.

Mitchell133
04-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Again someone saying the whole reason the Jays haven't been scoring is all because of the Jays. Why can't you just admit that its more of dominant pitching than the Jays hitters under performing. If you say Arrieta is a number 4 starter at best than you obviously have no clue about what your talking about.

Tommy Hunter was throwing high wiffle balls, he's historically terrible and the Jays hardly hit him at all.

Arrieta is at best a #4.

mtf
04-26-2012, 03:48 PM

I wasn't aware that Baltimore was better than anybody in baseball. Thanks for setting the record straight.

hustleloyrspct
04-26-2012, 04:03 PM
I wasn't aware that Baltimore was better than anybody in baseball. Thanks for setting the record straight.

:facepalm: Pirates? Mariners? Astros? Royals?

mtf
04-26-2012, 04:05 PM
:facepalm: Pirates? Mariners? Astros? Royals?

Other than the Astros, the rest of the teams on that list have some nice pieces for the future.

hustleloyrspct
04-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Other than the Astros, the rest of the teams on that list have some nice pieces for the future.

And the O's don't?

BrianWestKins
04-26-2012, 04:14 PM
I know what I'll be watching tonight.

Screw the 2 hockey game sevens and the NFL draft

mtf
04-26-2012, 04:24 PM
And the O's don't?

The magic 8 ball says: outlook not so good (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/2012-organizational-rankings-1-ny-yankees/)

mtf
04-26-2012, 04:26 PM
I know what I'll be watching tonight.

Screw the 2 hockey game sevens and the NFL draft

If you wanted to be sarcastic about the quality of other programming available, why did you mention the NFL draft.

BrianWestKins
04-26-2012, 04:30 PM
^It's not about "quality", it's about things that matter/are interesting.

If I wanted quality I'd mention Dancing with the Stars

LASportsFan1996
04-26-2012, 04:47 PM

And The O's Don't?

If Anything Arrieta Is Legit & Hammel Is A 4th At Best. Believe Me Hammel Is Not That Legit, And Arrieta Has A High Ceiling. And Bundy Will Be Up Very Soon & Become The Ace.

BrianWestKins
04-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Bundy hasn't allowed a hit over like 13 minor league innings this year. He could have the highest ceiling of any pitching prospect

Mitchell133
04-26-2012, 04:57 PM
And The O's Don't?

If Anything Arrieta Is Legit & Hammel Is A 4th At Best. Believe Me Hammel Is Not That Legit, And Arrieta Has A High Ceiling. And Bundy Will Be Up Very Soon & Become The Ace.
I watched Hammel absolutely dummy the Jays last night with great stuff. Arrieta has no ceiling.

Bundy hasn't allowed a hit over like 13 minor league innings this year. He could have the highest ceiling of any pitching prospect
He's my best pitching prospect in baseball if we exclude Matt Moore, but you can't reasonable expect any impact until 2014.

Jays have three in the same boat with Nicolino/Sanchez/Syndergaard.

BrianWestKins
04-26-2012, 05:05 PM
^I'd still have Bauer over Bundy, but he's right up there and it looks like the O's are going to handle him well

treeleaf
04-26-2012, 05:08 PM
I watched Hammel absolutely dummy the Jays last night with great stuff. Arrieta has no ceiling.

He's my best pitching prospect in baseball if we exclude Matt Moore, but you can't reasonable expect any impact until 2014.

Jays have three in the same boat with Nicolino/Sanchez/Syndergaard.

I dont think that arrieta will ever become a top 3 starter. And im not the only one on that boat either.

bomber0104
04-26-2012, 06:14 PM

Because the Jays hitters are underperforming..

Escobar hasn't made good contact all year and he hit .290 last year
Bautista is hitting .190 and looks lost
Lawrie is hitting .290 but a lot of his hits have been infield singles
Lind suck but even he is better than what he's shown
Guys like Rasmus, JP, and Thames are all capable of more

Hammel did look good but Hunter should have gotten absolutely hammered. He was throwing meatball after meatball and the Jays couldn't hit ****

nirvana235
04-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Ha... after 6 games you get an O's fan saying the Orioles are better than the Jays just cause they won 2 series. hustleloy, you really give O's fans a bad name.

hustleloyrspct
04-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Because the Jays hitters are underperforming..

Escobar hasn't made good contact all year and he hit .290 last year
Bautista is hitting .190 and looks lost
Lawrie is hitting .290 but a lot of his hits have been infield singles
Lind suck but even he is better than what he's shown
Guys like Rasmus, JP, and Thames are all capable of more

Hammel did look good but Hunter should have gotten absolutely hammered. He was throwing meatball after meatball and the Jays couldn't hit ****

I do agree that Hunter got so lucky in his start. He is our worst starter next to Matusz. Plus like you said a lot of his pitches were up in the zone and the Jays should have destroyed him. But as far as the blue jays hitters...I do not see anything special about them. We could go back and forth all day about why the Jays have looked so bad offensively but we will just see how things look at the next series.

hustleloyrspct
04-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Ha... after 6 games you get an O's fan saying the Orioles are better than the Jays just cause they won 2 series. hustleloy, you really give O's fans a bad name.

Sorry i just speak the truth. The Jays offense looks like a t-ball team the past few games. As far as giving the O's fans a bad name? It's just the Blue Jays lol gtfo. Its not like I said they were better than the Rays or Yankees because lets face it...the Orioles cannot beat those teams. You obvisously are oblivious to anything about the Orioles.

nirvana235
04-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Sorry i just speak the truth. The Jays offense looks like a t-ball team the past few games. As far as giving the O's fans a bad name? It's just the Blue Jays lol gtfo. Its not like I said they were better than the Rays or Yankees because lets face it...the Orioles cannot beat those teams. You obvisously are oblivious to anything about the Orioles.

I don't know how much baseball you've watched but you should know that things that happen in April don't continue all the way to the end of the season.

Just looking at the rosters and past years, I don't know how you can draw the conclusion that the O's are better than the Jays. You haven't provided much evidence other than "i just speak the truth" or "The Jays offense looks like a t-ball team the past few games".

hustleloyrspct
04-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Right now they are better than the Jays. There is nothing you can say to make that a false statement. And you may go to the past and say the Orioles have done this every April but this team is completely different than those other Oriole teams. Every other Oriole fan would most likely agree with me on this.

nirvana235
04-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Right now they are better than the Jays. There is nothing you can say to make that a false statement. And you may go to the past and say the Orioles have done this every April but this team is completely different than those other Oriole teams. Every other Oriole fan would most likely agree with me on this.

Yes, right now the O's are better than the Jays, Yanks, and Sox. Last year in July, Pittsburgh was the best in the NL Central. Cue the small sample size song.... :rolleyes:

hustleloyrspct
04-26-2012, 06:54 PM
But the Pirates didn't have arguably the best catcher in baseball, one of the top center fielders in baseball and a dominant bullpen. Not to mention power hitters at basically every position. And no the Os arent better than the Yanks because the Yanks swept the Orioles, all i said was they are better than the Jays, it's not like I said they are one of the top teams in baseball.

nirvana235
04-26-2012, 07:00 PM
But the Pirates didn't have arguably the best catcher in baseball, one of the top center fielders in baseball and a dominant bullpen. Not to mention power hitters at basically every position. And no the Os arent better than the Yanks because the Yanks swept the Orioles, all i said was they are better than the Jays, it's not like I said they are one of the top teams in baseball.

Hmm... let's see, the Cubs won 2 out of 3 against the Cardinals... they must be better than them!

Oh and it took a 3 game sweep by the Yankees for you to realize they were better than the O's. Cool bro.

AI
04-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Stop arguing about who's better, it hasn't even been a month. Wait until September, by then, the O's hot start will be a forgotten thing, the Jays will be .500 and the AL East will come down to the other 3 teams.

Jeffy25
04-26-2012, 07:47 PM

The O's are not better than the Jays.

Halladay
04-26-2012, 08:18 PM
The O's are better than the Jays lol...our team cannot hit to save their lives right now. The O's are winning by default against us. This is not the Jays team you'll see a month from now. We'll be much better.

Twitchy
04-26-2012, 08:56 PM
I've watched all the Jay/O's games this season and it's more about the Jays doing everything they can to give the game away then the O's doing well.

The O's are off to a great start, and they're winning the series so far, but it's not cause they're a better team. The Jays just look awful right now. Wouldn't matter who they play. The Escobar play that just happened is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Toxeryll
04-27-2012, 12:13 AM
Jays offense is ****, they just wasted three good starts from their #3-5 starters

LASportsFan1996
04-27-2012, 02:32 AM
O's Sweep!!!!!!

Rangerchick
04-27-2012, 02:58 AM
Strop has looked pretty good closing for BAL. Glad he's getting an extended chance after we dumped him because we were deep in relievers and he was walking people left and right. Could be one of the best bang-for-your-buck guys this year.

LASportsFan1996
04-27-2012, 03:22 AM
Yep Smoke Strop Is Nasty.

Driven
04-27-2012, 01:25 PM
the os can be competitive if wieters, jones and reimold all break out, which is a possibility. They havent had a good lineup in who knows how long, and theyve always needed that big bat. Their top 5 could be pretty good.

I think hammel will be ok. Arrieta, like others have said, is a #4. Chen, who knows. They need britton badly. Or matusz to come back to life. Hunter is a nobody.

They do have a great bullpen though, which will help.

Jones needs to be shopped asap. No plate discipline. Davis doesnt have any either.

Jeffy25
04-27-2012, 05:49 PM
The Jays need to be whipping the O's, it's the only thing that has kept them even remotely close in any race with the better three.

12-6 against the O's last year, and 15-3 the year before. And they still missed the playoffs by a good measure. They have enjoyed abusing the O's for so many years, not doing it one year could cost them.

nirvana235
04-27-2012, 08:43 PM
The Jays need to be whipping the O's, it's the only thing that has kept them even remotely close in any race with the better three.

12-6 against the O's last year, and 15-3 the year before. And they still missed the playoffs by a good measure. They have enjoyed abusing the O's for so many years, not doing it one year could cost them.

Eh... anyone can beat anyone in 18 games. Red Sox were like 8-8 against them last year or in 2010. Generally if you're an x-win team, you might lose a bunch against a worse team but make up for it by beating up some teams you're not supposed, all adding up to x number of wins. All evens out in the end generally.

Jeffy25
04-27-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm only saying that the Jays have enjoyed beating up on the O's the last several years, and that is a big reason why they have been near .500, you go 15-3 against a team and are barely .500, what would you have been if you didn't play that team?

Toxeryll
04-27-2012, 09:14 PM
I'm only saying that the Jays have enjoyed beating up on the O's the last several years, and that is a big reason why they have been near .500, you go 15-3 against a team and are barely .500, what would you have been if you didn't play that team?

lol at ur logic.

nirvana235
04-27-2012, 09:15 PM

Even if they were only say 10-8 vs Orioles they would have beaten up against some other team to end up .500.

Even if you don't believe in the law of averages if they went 9-9 in 2010 and 2011 against the O's, they would of been 79-83, and 78-84, to end up fourth once again in both years.

So even if they didn't play the O's, they wouldn't have been much different.

Jeffy25
04-27-2012, 09:17 PM
lol at ur logic.

several Jays fans have talked about the 2010 Jays saying if they played anywhere but the AL East, they would have been in the playoffs with their 85 wins.

I don't think anybody says that if they don't go 15-3 against the O's.

The Jays have enjoyed slapping the O's around the last decade plus, so starting off slow against them in a season where they could finally take advantage of that extra playoff spot isn't a good start.

It also doesn't mean much.

nirvana235
04-27-2012, 09:24 PM
several Jays fans have talked about the 2010 Jays saying if they played anywhere but the AL East, they would have been in the playoffs with their 85 wins.

The Jays have enjoyed slapping the O's around the last decade plus, so starting off slow against them in a season where they could finally take advantage of that extra playoff spot isn't a good start.

Even if the O's suck, 15-3 against them still counts. If they were in the NL West, who's to say they wouldn't have went 15-3 against the Padres and won one extra game against the other teams to end up at 90 wins to win the division. If you look at last years Jays team and compare its roster to the D'backs, you can't really say Arizona is that much better.

Anyways, no one knows for sure but there is an arguement to be made.

Jeffy25
04-27-2012, 09:27 PM
2011 - 12-6
2010 - 15-3
2009 - 9-9
2008 - 12-6
2007 - 10-8
2006 - 11-8
2005 - 10-9
2004 - 8-11
2003 - 11-8
2002 - 15-4
2001 - 12-7

(only one season under .500)

Total - 125 - 74 (.628)

Jays total - 888-893 (.499)
O's total - 759-1021 (.426)

I'm not saying this has really mattered for the Jays, but in a season where they have a very real chance of stealing a playoff spot, they sort of depend on beating up on the O's. So they need to turn it around against the O's. Of course, they could go 0-18 against the O's and still make the playoffs. But it helps if they can beat them up like they usually do.

Twitchy
04-28-2012, 08:33 AM

First of all, that's a pretty odd statement. Yeah, they don't get to beat up on the O's, but then they don't get beat up by the Yanks, Sox and Rays. So it balances out.

Second of all, I don't think any Jays fans think they should have won in 2010. Maybe 2006 or 2008, one of those years where they were top 4 in pythag and another where they were top 4 in WAR. But 2010? Not a chance. They didn't even have Halladay that year.

And if they didn't have a team like the O's to beat up on, they would have had the Royals/Twins in the Central or the A's/Mariners in the West. It's not like there wouldn't have been a soft team in any other division to beat up on. There just wouldn't be as many 90 or better win teams.

thefeckcampaign
04-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Omg, that's like, the best information ever.
Why be so sarcastic, borderline rude?

Jeffy25
04-28-2012, 11:43 AM
First of all, that's a pretty odd statement. Yeah, they don't get to beat up on the O's, but then they don't get beat up by the Yanks, Sox and Rays. So it balances out.

Second of all, I don't think any Jays fans think they should have won in 2010. Maybe 2006 or 2008, one of those years where they were top 4 in pythag and another where they were top 4 in WAR. But 2010? Not a chance. They didn't even have Halladay that year.

And if they didn't have a team like the O's to beat up on, they would have had the Royals/Twins in the Central or the A's/Mariners in the West. It's not like there wouldn't have been a soft team in any other division to beat up on. There just wouldn't be as many 90 or better win teams.

I'm only saying they need to beat up on the team they usually do in a year where they have playoff aspirations.

Twitchy
04-28-2012, 11:54 AM
I don't really think the Jays had playoff aspirations for 2012. At best they might be an 85-87 win team this year.

Driven
04-28-2012, 01:12 PM
I've watched all the Jay/O's games this season and it's more about the Jays doing everything they can to give the game away then the O's doing well.

The O's are off to a great start, and they're winning the series so far, but it's not cause they're a better team. The Jays just look awful right now. Wouldn't matter who they play. The Escobar play that just happened is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.
No fan is going to say that they got swept in a series because they played well. Clearly the O's won't keep this up. But this type of a post is pointless, IMO. You can say this about every single series in baseball.

mtf
04-28-2012, 03:40 PM
I don't really think the Jays had playoff aspirations for 2012. At best they might be an 85-87 win team this year.

Pretty much this. I'd be very surprised to see them win north of 86 games this year (unless Anthopoulos manages to acquire a really big bat to replace Adam Lind).

Mudvayne91
04-28-2012, 03:43 PM

I did as well

Jeffy25
04-28-2012, 05:52 PM

Do you not think that could get them one of the one game playoff spots?

mtf
04-28-2012, 05:56 PM

I know you were asking Twitchy, but I do not think 87 wins would get them in, at least not in the American League, even if they managed to have that good of a season.

Twitchy
04-28-2012, 06:08 PM
No fan is going to say that they got swept in a series because they played well. Clearly the O's won't keep this up. But this type of a post is pointless, IMO. You can say this about every single series in baseball.

You can get swept in a series by playing well. And had the Jays played well, I would have said the O's beat them fairly.

Think about it. The O's won one game because of a "home run" ball that bounced off a guy's glove and over the wall. The second game was pretty damn sloppy as both teams made 2 errors, and the third game each team made one error. And the Jays couldn't hit Brian Matusz. Brian Matusz! The guy holds the record for the single worst season of all time, and he had a 7.98 ERA entering the game. And it's not like he pitched well, striking out 3 and walking 2 in 6 innings.

So yeah, I'd say it's a fairly good argument to make that the usually defensively sound Blue Jays made error after error and one boneheaded player after another leading to being swept. It was a sloppy series all around.

You can disagree all you like but this simply wasn't quality baseball by Toronto. The Jays gave it away and the O's took advantage. Doesn't mean the O's are a better team, just that they took advantage of a team playing sloppy baseball.

No, I really don't.