PDA

View Full Version : Knicks could go for Phil Jackson

SportsAndrew25
04-25-2012, 02:53 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/18827065/knicks-to-throw-big-offer-at-phil-jackson

I am not sure why they would want to go after him. Obviously he is a great coach, but he is very old and I do not think he would want the money.

Dankster
04-25-2012, 02:55 PM
As long as he's not exhibiting signs of dementia/senility I'd get him immediately. He can place himself on his high ergonomic chair in the Garden for the next 5 years for all I care. Guy is the greatest coach ever.

ManningToTyree
04-25-2012, 02:56 PM
He is the only guy I would can Woody for. Dolan will offer him a ******** amount of money.

airronijordan
04-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Wouldn't mind even though woody has done a tremendous job

Donuts365
04-25-2012, 03:06 PM
bad move unless he can teach amare defense and get chandler to develope a offensive game he wouldnt be a good fit imo keep woodson

MJL80
04-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Woodson's been great, and the players have all bought in..... As much as I love Phil Jackson, I feel Woody deserves this opportunity. I'd like to see him succeed here

nycsports2
04-25-2012, 03:24 PM
ive been saying it since the 1st week of the season loooong before anyone outside knicks fans knew we had him... i dont want anyone but woodson coaching this team

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-25-2012, 03:26 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/18827065/knicks-to-throw-big-offer-at-phil-jackson

I am not sure why they would want to go after him. Obviously he is a great coach, but he is very old and I do not think he would want the money.

U answered your own question...

Shmontaine
04-25-2012, 03:28 PM
lol... okay knicks... i thought you guys loved mike woodson, gave this team a defensive mindset, etc... how quickly the grass gets green...

raiderNlakerfan
04-25-2012, 03:29 PM
i would love for p jax to finish his career in new york. thats the only team i will be glad he couches besides the akers

LongIslandIcedZ
04-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Mike Woodson has earned a contract. Phil was a great coach no doubt, but with Woodson, you get stability. This guy could be the coach of teh Knicks for the next 10 years and thats what I want. I dont want a one year stint with Phil where he misses 40 games and comes back and coaches in the playoffs. I want head coach stability and Woodson has earned it.

LAKERS 24/7
04-25-2012, 03:35 PM
There is a 0% chance Phil Jackson goes to the knicks. No amount of money will do it

boolish
04-25-2012, 03:36 PM

you think they wouldn't. but they do want the money. I mean why else would you coach past 65-70? larry brown is now coaching SMU and he is near 70 right? the money is on the table. very difficult not to go pick it up for these guys.

oak2455
04-25-2012, 03:39 PM
There is a 0% chance Phil Jackson goes to the knicks. No amount of money will do it

you know:rolleyes:

BigBlueCrew
04-25-2012, 03:40 PM
I love this story...

The CBS story states "According to the Journal-Times." Its like a 3 sentence "RUMOR OF THE WEEK:" in the journaltimes :facepalm:

Dankster
04-25-2012, 03:45 PM
lol... okay knicks... i thought you guys loved mike woodson, gave this team a defensive mindset, etc... how quickly the grass gets green...

The grass gets very green when speaking of the most successful and decorated coach in the history of the NBA with ties to the Knicks franchise from his playing days.

He has over 5 times the amount of titles that the Knicks franchise has in totality. When people use the "grass is greener" cliche, it's assuming that you might be making a mistake venturing with another option. In this instance, there is no assumption, the guys resume clearly speaks for itself.

JEDean89
04-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Phil = 13 rings
Woody = 0

Evolution23
04-25-2012, 03:53 PM

This. It's all media driven bs stories and i'm not buying it.

Evolution23
04-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Phil = 13 rings
Woody = 0

no check again

GiantsSwaGG
04-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Woodson is more deserving....and we don't have MJ or Kobe so Phil wouldn't be right for the job

Missing56&33
04-25-2012, 04:34 PM
It seems like it all depends on how well the Knicks do in the playoffs. I think Mike Woodson passed the first stage by getting the team to the playoffs now we have to show that we belong in the playoffs......unlike last season collapse.

Jenceman
04-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Why wouldn't they want him? Greatest coach ever.

sep11ie
04-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Is this the Knick's forum?

BigBlueCrew
04-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Is this the Knick's forum?

It should be or renamed Knicks forum II

VillaMaravilla
04-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Screw that if you can get Phil you do it, I dont care how many game Woodson has won Phil is Phil you dont pass up the chance to get a coach of his caliber for the biggest stage in sports.............Go get him Dolan!

blastmasta26
04-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Phil's a great coach, but I wouldn't want him on the Knicks with this current team. I don't think he'd fit. I believe the Knicks benefit more from a disciplined coach like Woodson rather than a relaxed Jackson. We all saw what happened to D'Antoni in NY. Dude comes off of 60+ win seasons in Phoenix and struggles here. People can claim it was the strength of his rosters in Phoenix, but Jackson won titles with top 10 players all time. Phil is closer in resemblance to D'Antoni than he is to Woodson, and I just don't think that the Knicks of today are compatible with that.

Becks2307
04-25-2012, 06:44 PM
why do random people insist on posting knick threads? i really don't get it

thats not even a real report

meloman1592
04-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Guess I'm in the minority but...I don't want Phil. Rather keep Woody

KnIckFaN.2883
04-25-2012, 06:53 PM
i rather have woodson just beacuse he's got the team buying into the system. also why would you want to change something thats been working so well.

The Final Boss
04-25-2012, 07:03 PM
The Knicks in the triangle. :laugh:

naps
04-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Why? He won't have anyone of Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, or Kobe caliber in NY. Phil Jackson sounds like a championship but not unless you actually have a near perfect team. And if Melo and Amare didn't step up their defense after 9/10 years in the league it's safe to say they will never. Knicks need to get rid of Amare somehow but it seems like it's not moveable.

effen5
04-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Next year Knicks chant fire woodson

JesusWears24
05-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Knicks fans seem to think with Phil Jackson at the helm, they would become an elite team. The triangle offense can only be mastered by smart and dedicated players such as: Kobe, Jordan, Shaq, Gasol, Pippen, and Rodman. The Knicks on the other hand have a team full of selfish players who seem to not understand how to play defense. They have two players who actually come out and try to play as a team... Shumpert and Tyson. If Phil Jackson came to New York, they would not be any better.

Kashmir13579
05-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Boneheads who aren't paying attention. Even under Mike No-D'antoni they were a top 10 defensive team this year.

TeamSeattle
05-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Unnecessary thread

iam brett favre
05-07-2012, 12:27 PM
The Heat should get Phil Jackson instead. Clearly, coaching is the issue there.

pacofunk64
05-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Well if the Heat don't win it all then Jackson will probably consider the Heat as well.

kmo429
05-07-2012, 12:45 PM
No clue why they wouldnt re-sign Woodson.

knicks4life33
05-07-2012, 01:39 PM
how can you guys say you rather keep woodson over a person who has won 13 championships lol 11 as a coach and 2 as a player!! Stop with hes to old cause im pretty sure hes not lacing up and going on the court!! Woodson always gets eliminated in the first round why do you think atlanta got rid of him and now he aint goin take us past the first round

nycsports2
05-07-2012, 01:45 PM
woodson plzzz

NYYCowboys
05-07-2012, 01:52 PM
If Phil turned us down, I wouldn't mind if we kept Woody, but what has he proven? He's been the coach for less than half a season. Yes they were doing pretty well, but you have to give me a bigger sample size than that for me to throw my full endorsement on a guy who has never gotten out of the 2nd round of the playoffs in his coaching career.

My number one choice to coach this team to be honest even over PJ is Jeff Van Gundy. I think he would be a perfect fit for this team, and could keep all of the egos in check. But like I said if Woody ends up being coach next year and we strike out with the bigger names I won't mind.

Teeboy1487
05-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Phil Jackson is a perfect coach in handling big egos like Amare and Melo. However, the triangle offense is not a good fit with this New York team. I don't know.

torocan
05-07-2012, 02:14 PM

No team in their right mind would turn away Phil Jackson if he wanted to coach them. The dude has more rings than fingers.

That said, Phil Jackson CHOOSES what team he wants. He walks in, demands control over the roster, and only joins teams that he thinks can win a Championship.

Don't hold your breath on PJ coaching the Knicks. And if he decided to do it, expect him to make changes.

Jumi
05-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Phil Jackson is a perfect coach in handling big egos like Amare and Melo. However, the triangle offense is not a good fit with this New York team. I don't know.

this

Jumi
05-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Go re watch Kobe Doin Work and you'll understand that the triangle wouldn't be as effective in New York. Everyone has to be on the same page or have an on court coach to direct things so to speak. Does anyone think Melo would let Lin direct things on the floor? Melo doesn't have the mentality to do that!

JasonJohnHorn
05-07-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm on board with the guys who think Woodson should stay. He's done a great job with this team since he took over. That game four win was huge. To get guys motivated for a game like that, when you are down 3-0. It's hard, but he lit a fire under their @$$E$.

Phil did a great job. He is the winningest coach ever. He has nothing to prove. Let him enjoy his retirement. He has family, a beautiful woman... its time for him to kick back and just enjoy all the millions he's been earning over the last 25 years or so.

meloman1592
05-07-2012, 06:43 PM
If he comes :win:
If he doesn't :smoking:

ne3xchamps
05-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Its not going to matter what coach NY gets. Until the knicks break up melo and amare, they will not be contenders IMO.

justinnum1
05-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Its not going to matter what coach NY gets. Until the knicks break up melo and amare, they will not be contenders IMO.

Agree, that game 4 win might be a killer, knicks got their win but they also might have gotten woodson for another year.

khaleesi
05-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Many of the comments here would make me believe they don't understand the triangle at all. Triangle is a highly structured offense where if any "creative quality" can be identified to make it run it would be a good high post passer. The key is turning its mechanical requirements in something smooth and easy where all five players understand their role in making it happen.

The whole Amare v Melo v Lin is nonsense. The player has no say in how the other player is used. Only in his / her role amongst the five and with it the the requirements of that role which are required by the coach.

So, me v you on the floor makes no diff.

JasonJohnHorn
05-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Many of the comments here would make me believe they don't understand the triangle at all. Triangle is a highly structured offense where if any "creative quality" can be identified to make it run it would be a good high post passer. The key is turning its mechanical requirements in something smooth and easy where all five players understand their role in making it happen.

The whole Amare v Melo v Lin is nonsense. The player has no say in how the other player is used. Only in his / her role amongst the five and with it the the requirements of that role which are required by the coach.

So, me v you on the floor makes no diff.

You raise some very good points, and I am inclined to agree with you, however, Phil ran the triangle with players who were good passers: Jordan, Pippen, (to a lesser extent) Kobe, Pao, and Shaq. And it never really ran with a true PG (not to say it couldn't work with a true PG, but the system was essentially tested on groups that didn't have a traditional PG). Melo and Amare are great "passers". They aren't bad, but it is not a strong point for either of them, and since they are the guys who would likely be running the triangle, I'd be a little concerned.

If any team is ripe for the triangle offence right now, I'd say it'd be Miami (two great passers in Wade and LBJ) and to a lesser extend OKC.

NY... I don't think they have the personal that would allow the triangle to excel on the floor.

Phil is better off staying retired or going to Miami.