PDA

View Full Version : Should Kobe have been ejected for the Artest Elbow?

Chronz
04-24-2012, 11:04 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/41228/stop-dangerous-fouls-make-the-star-sit

Beckley Mason thinks so. Making the case that having enforcers take out stars is a net + for the team with the thug. 2 players are lost when these flagrant fouls occur, but obviously losing Artest isnt the same as losing Harden. He mentioned the flagrant Robin had on Blake, would Robin still tackle Blake in such a way knowing it could get his teams best player ejected?

Raps08-09 Champ
04-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Nope.

Kobe didn't have anything to do with it.

Though I get the point with stars being taken out by non-stars being an issue.

RaiderLakersA's
04-24-2012, 11:35 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/41228/stop-dangerous-fouls-make-the-star-sit

Beckley Mason thinks so. Making the case that having enforcers take out stars is a net + for the team with the thug. 2 players are lost when these flagrant fouls occur, but obviously losing Artest isnt the same as losing Harden. He mentioned the flagrant Robin had on Blake, would Robin still tackle Blake in such a way knowing it could get his teams best player ejected?

This is wrong on so many levels.

First, most professional athletes are egomaniacs. They believe they are the team's best player.

Second, you cannot punish an innocent man for something his guilty team member did. Not in sports, and damn sure not in real life. Artest's elbowing doesn't even rise to the level of conspiracy or a violent "culture" fostered, nurtured and espoused by the team.

Third, how does that teach individual accountability? Ever???

Fourth, say I'm the second man on the depth chart beyond the star and I want more playing time. Thanks so much for the incentive!!! Excuse me while I go out and cold-**** the other team's trainer.

Fifth, it's the early 00s and I'm Kobe and you're Shaq. All I have to do to get more touches (and more control of the team) is to get you eliminated from the game. No problem! Hai-yaaahhhhhh m************!!!!

Sixth, think of revenue. Stars sell tickets. there are only a few teams in the classic sense that actually sellout without having a true superstar. Very, very, very few. If you know that the star likely won't play due to an increasing number of suspensions through no fault of his own, do you really think you'll be first in line to buy ticket packages?

Seventh, and most importantly, this will not stop a violent infraction like Artest's. There comes a point when a person is more than willing to accept the repurcussions. These sociopaths don't care. It's not like Artest didn't know that he'd get a flagrant 2 and ejection with possible suspension tacked on. He's walked this path before. All you've done, really, is given him a mini-vacation. Given how much money he's already made in the NBA, he won't feel a thing.

Chronz
04-24-2012, 11:53 AM
This is wrong on so many levels.

First, most professional athletes are egomaniacs. They believe they are the team's best player.
Irrelevant, its not about what the individual thinks its about who the OTHER TEAM thinks is the teams best player.

Second, you cannot punish an innocent man for something his guilty team member did. Not in sports, and damn sure not in real life. Artest's elbowing doesn't even rise to the level of conspiracy or a violent "culture" fostered, nurtured and espoused by the team.
I dont think Artest was intentionally looking for the moment to strike against Harden, I just think he lost his mind, I do think teams target Blake so its more for those situations, where you punish TEAMS for having brutes or hiring guys who are nothing more than punishers, but with regards to Artest I suppose you cant control crazy but it would make teams think twice about hiring a guy like Artest.

Third, how does that teach individual accountability? Ever???
Would ejecting both the fouler and the teams star fix that issue?

Fourth, say I'm the second man on the depth chart beyond the star and I want more playing time. Thanks so much for the incentive!!! Excuse me while I go out and cold-**** the other team's trainer.

That would never happen, the guy would get waived the next day and fined for conduct detrimental to the teams well being.

Fifth, it's the early 00s and I'm Kobe and you're Shaq. All I have to do to get more touches (and more control of the team) is to get you eliminated from the game. No problem! Hai-yaaahhhhhh m************!!!!

Nah, Kobe cares too much about winning.

Sixth, think of revenue. Stars sell tickets. there are only a few teams in the classic sense that actually sellout without having a true superstar. Very, very, very few. If you know that the star likely won't play due to an increasing number of suspensions through no fault of his own, do you really think you'll be first in line to buy ticket packages?

This is about ejections not suspensions.

Seventh, and most importantly, this will not stop a violent infraction like Artest's. There comes a point when a person is more than willing to accept the repurcussions. These sociopaths don't care. It's not like Artest didn't know that he'd get a flagrant 2 and ejection with possible suspension tacked on. He's walked this path before. All you've done, really, is given him a mini-vacation. Given how much money he's already made in the NBA, he won't feel a thing.
I agree this is more for teams that target other players, incidents like Artest will still exist so long as there are people with mental problems in the league, this will just make you think twice before hiring them. I think thats a good trade off if it protects stars. Blake shouldnt be taking the beating he does with other teams never having to suffer for it.

DenButsu
04-24-2012, 11:55 AM
I understand the logic, and while it makes sense on a certain level, ... no. At the end of the day players who don't commit fouls (or crimes) shouldn't be penalized for the actions of their teammates.

Besides, what would be the criteria? The player on the team who has the most points per game? The highest PER? The most win shares? The biggest contract?

No, way too arbitrary. And it's not like this happens every week. There are occasional isolated incidents, but it's not as if this is even close to being the most problematic aspect of the rules and officiating of the games.

Chronz
04-24-2012, 12:15 PM
I understand the logic, and while it makes sense on a certain level, ... no. At the end of the day players who don't commit fouls (or crimes) shouldn't be penalized for the actions of their teammates.

Besides, what would be the criteria? The player on the team who has the most points per game? The highest PER? The most win shares? The biggest contract?

No, way too arbitrary. And it's not like this happens every week. There are occasional isolated incidents, but it's not as if this is even close to being the most problematic aspect of the rules and officiating of the games.
The criteria is up to the team of the guy who got fouled, its their decision, nothing arbitrary about that.

And sure these type of things dont happen often but as a fan of a player who is definitely targeted, I would hate to lose him for any amount of time because other teams can afford to send bums like Smith and Lopez at him.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Make it 5 free throws instead of 2.

Raph12
04-24-2012, 12:24 PM
If I'm Dirk and Haywood knocks Lebron out, I sure as hell would be furious and would take it up with the league if I were thrown out... You can't punish one man for another's crimes.

Switch
04-24-2012, 12:27 PM
You can't punish an innocent man. Dumbest idea ever.

Chronz
04-24-2012, 12:35 PM
You can't punish an innocent man. Dumbest idea ever.

If I'm Dirk and Haywood knocks Lebron out, I sure as hell would be furious and would take it up with the league if I were thrown out... You can't punish one man for another's crimes.
Valid points both ways but I dont see why not. Its more about punishing the team than the 1 individual. I think it would go a long way in cracking down on violence.

lakerboy
04-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Ditto. Dumb idea. You want fans to stop watching?

yanksrock
no

topdog
This definitely draws a point, but in reality I am opposed to the idea. I'm pretty sure West was trying to pull this sort of crap on Gordon Hayward with his "West Willy" expecting Hayward to strike back and take one of the Jazz's more effective players out of the game.

It seems unreasonable to make another player sit for these sort of actions though. I think there just need to be very severe penalties for instigating infractions and taking players out - perhaps a points system that leads to banishment from the league.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-24-2012, 12:47 PM
What the hell, I dont get this...:confused:

Chronz
04-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Ditto. Dumb idea. You want fans to stop watching?

What do you mean? I think fans would enjoy the stars not being targeted.

lakerboy
04-24-2012, 12:52 PM
What do you mean? I think fans would enjoy the stars not being targeted.

How do you expect people to stay tune if you are going to eject their best player for a hard foul somebody else commits? This is an emotional sport. There's something like that always going to happen.

Imagine LAL vs LAC at the WCF. Reggie Evans and Ron Artest go at it. Suddenly, you have CP3 and KB ejected. Fans are left to watch Andrew Goudelock go against Randy Foye. That stinks.

tcav701
04-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Maybe if stars didnt get free throws every time someone breathed on them, opposing teams wouldnt feel obligated to make their fouls count.

lakerboy
04-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Also, I think fans would enjoy more aggressive play on the court. Not getting players hurt, but more "fights" and "arguments"

29$JerZ
04-24-2012, 12:54 PM

He told ESPNís Kevin Arnovitz that rather than simply ejecting the offending player, the team that is flagrantly fouled should have the ability to choose which player sits.
I actually found this quote to be very interesting.
In some instances this would be better than the attacker getting thrown out but I could see this getting abused or conspiracies of the Refs being involved to make a certain team lose easier.

The Final Boss
04-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Harden is a star, now? :laugh:

The goods
04-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Hahahaha ok first of all harden isn't a star he's good but a star? I don't think so second of all blaming kobe for something he didn't do is flat out stupid,I could see if kobe told artest to do it then I could see him being punished but that isn't the case.
Another person making a story out of nothing not the thread starter but the actual jounalist.

sep11ie
04-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Terrible logic.

The goods
04-24-2012, 12:59 PM
How do you expect people to stay tune if you are going to eject their best player for a hard foul somebody else commits? This is an emotional sport. There's something like that always going to happen.

Imagine LAL vs LAC at the WCF. Reggie Evans and Ron Artest go at it. Suddenly, you have CP3 and KB ejected. Fans are left to watch Andrew Goudelock go against Randy Foye. That stinks.

But Glock's a beast. Lol

Sadds The Gr8
04-24-2012, 12:59 PM
I don't think flagrant 2s and dirty plays are that common in the NBA. If they were, and there were more injuries from them, then maybe I'd understand this rule being put in, but not now. Metta World Piece of ****'s elbow was just an outlier.

LAKobeBryant
04-24-2012, 01:05 PM
dumb

smith&wesson
04-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Makes no sence. harden is the 3rd best player on the okc. but even then the theory doesnt add up.

Chronz
04-24-2012, 01:12 PM

I getya, in the case of a double technical this rule wouldnt apply, its strictly for malicious intent towards 1 individual.

Maybe if stars didnt get free throws every time someone breathed on them, opposing teams wouldnt feel obligated to make their fouls count.
Thats a horrible mentality IMO. Simply stopping the basket isnt enough, you have to endanger players?

Chronz
04-24-2012, 01:16 PM

In what sense? In terms of draw power and popularity no. In terms of production yes. At least far more than Artest.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Is this thread serious?

You know what, I have a solution to this whole Metta-Harden incident...

IT'S LEBRON'S FAULT.

tcav701
04-24-2012, 01:24 PM
I getya, in the case of a double technical this rule wouldnt apply, its strictly for malicious intent towards 1 individual.

Thats a horrible mentality IMO. Simply stopping the basket isnt enough, you have to endanger players?

I'm not condoning it, just stating that the dictatorship that is NBA officiating may actually play a hand in targeting stars.

BKLYNpigeon
04-24-2012, 01:26 PM
You guys make threads about the stupidest SHlT. this is pointless.

move on.

LA_Raiders
04-24-2012, 01:36 PM
lol.

How about Blakes elbow on Gasol?

Chronz
04-24-2012, 01:46 PM

move on.
No thanks. Nothing pointless about trying to clean up the game.

Chronz
04-24-2012, 01:46 PM
lol.

How about Blakes elbow on Gasol?

Kobe approved. Good enough for me

smith&wesson
04-24-2012, 01:51 PM

move on.

Why is every thread stupid ?

and why do ppl feel the need to go in to every thread and express how stupid they are ?

any ways back on topic.

if mj was on a role and rodman fouls someone one and gets a flagrant how does mj deserve to be taken out of the game ?

this would effect legacy, stats, championships, games, etc. it wouldnt be fair to players who dont play dirty. the guys comitting these dirty plays should be punished. but punished in a different way. maybe make the punishments more seveir so that the message is recieved.

ThunderousDemon
04-24-2012, 01:55 PM

He could be a starter on any other team imo, but star status is something he doesn't have yet

colinskik
04-24-2012, 01:56 PM

This point right here sums it up nicely. A policy like this doesn't conform to our societal standards. You CANNOT punish one man for another man's crime. Period.

Plus, who gets to decide which player is the "best" player on a team. Let's say for example Ibaka got violent with an opponent and it just so happens to be a game where Westbrook is leading the team to victory instead of Durant. Do you still pick Durant as the "best" player you want ejected, or is Westbrook the selection? Do you choose before tipoff? Too much subjectivity and too much impact on a game to ever be instated as an official rule.

Lastly -- Chronz -- you're playing the role of devil's advocate in this thread to a fault. I can't seriously believe you support this loony idea?!

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-24-2012, 01:57 PM
No thanks. Nothing pointless about trying to clean up the game.

So you clean up the game by ousting one of the greatest 10 players in NBA history from something he didn't even do??!?!?!?!?!!

Are you seriously trying to troll?

Baller1
04-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Well considering LA wouldn't have had a chance of winning that game if Harden plays, makes sense to me.

Chronz
04-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Lastly -- Chronz -- you're playing the role of devil's advocate in this thread to a fault. I can't seriously believe you support this loony idea?!

I like doing that but as a Clippers fan, there is some authenticity to my posts.

Gibby23
04-24-2012, 02:00 PM
if this kind of rule was in place we would see more flops in Flop City just so they have a chance to get the other teams best player out of the game. How about a 2 flop maximum rule?

Gibby23
04-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Well considering LA wouldn't have had a chance of winning that game if Harden plays, makes sense to me.

Is Harden awake yet?

colinskik
04-24-2012, 02:06 PM
I like doing that but as a Clippers fan, there is some authenticity to my posts.
Yes, Blake does receive a lot of violent attention from opponents, but isn't it enough to say Blake feeds off that type of treatment? Why then tip the scales even more in favor for the Clips?

Chronz
04-24-2012, 02:09 PM
So you clean up the game by ousting one of the greatest 10 players in NBA history from something he didn't even do??!?!?!?!?!!
Clean it up with the threat of losing Kobe for malicious intent, yes.

Are you seriously trying to troll?
R U?

BALLER R
04-24-2012, 02:09 PM
why are you punishing the team that's just stupid. Also what if someone flops and the refs didn't realize it was a flop so then Kobe gets thrown out the game resulting in the lakers losing in game 7 of the nba finals. If we're going to discuss this let's discuss every scenario possible. Also you think fans complain about refs and rigging let that rule apply and game would be ruined.

Stinkyoutsider
04-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Nah, Kobe shouldn't be punished for Artest's infractions. Both just aren't NBA players, but grown men. Every adult is responsible for their own actions.

But, punishing the team is an interesting concept! Punishing the teams would make them think twice before signing players like Artest. Maybe, teams would be forced to come up with a criteria or set of rules governing these sorts of players if signed (maybe some clauses in a contract that would allow the team to terminate it). Knowing that the meal ticket would be taken away for actions would make players think twice before doing something stupid (Artest elbow)...

BALLER R
04-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Also let's put this in a real life situation. Your cousin assaults some and instead hes free but you have to serve his jail time.

fresh prince
04-24-2012, 02:12 PM
He could be a starter on any other team imo, but star status is something he doesn't have yet

This is silly.. He could start on his own team. Your post asserts that Thabo is better than Harden which isn't the case. The team dynamic just flows better with Harden coming off the bench. See Ginobli.

Back to topic idea. Hell no!! This is a cute novel idea and a good article to generate some discussion nothing more. Dudes need to be accountable for their own actions.

raidersrock99
04-24-2012, 02:30 PM
ya pretty dumb idea maybe take a draft pick from the team or something but you cant suspend innocent guys

J4KOP99
04-24-2012, 03:10 PM
This is downright idiotic.

This would be implying that Kobe had some prior knowledge or forced/told Artest to do this.

Otherwise, why the hell would he be punished for another mans mistake? We just want to completely get rid of accountability?

JNA17
04-24-2012, 03:32 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHANAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

*sign* phew..

,,,pfffHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Worst idea, worst thread, worst...well...just worst thread I have ever seen in the NBA forum. And shockingly, the OP defending something this moronic is Chronz, the mini John Hollinger. How...what..why?

Not even going to explain the repercussions and the amount of cheating, exploitation, and giant shitstorm this insane idea would create. Wow! I didn't think it was possible for a post in a internet forum to actually make me lol that much irl. :laugh:

Trueblue2
04-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Ron had been a big part of the Lakers game lately on both ends of the floor, I'm not saying that his impact was = to Harden on OKC, but losing Artest is big for the Lakers especially with the way he's been playing of late.

tkshy
04-24-2012, 03:42 PM
First his name is Metta World Peace, not Artest.
Second Harden isn't the best player on OKC so why take out the Lakers best player?
Third it's just a dumb idea.

episodenone
04-24-2012, 03:51 PM

Is Kobe even mentioned in the article?

This thread went on this long?

Idiotic - who the hell is Beckley Mason? Never heard of him.

amos1er
04-24-2012, 04:01 PM
What a moronic theory. Can't prove intent. Doesn't make sense logically. Just some hater wanting to see Kobe get benched. Its amazing to me that people still hate on Kobe and would want to see him lose due to being benched even though he is 33 and Jerry Buss's moronic son has depleted the bench to nearly nothing.

Maybe Harden shouldn't run his mouth to someone who is so out of his league that he isn't even fit to hold his jock strap. The Thunder win a few regular season games and this fool thinks he can talk smack to the Mamba....hahahahahahaha. Looks like Metta gave Harden a little taste of reality there....and sometimes the truth is painful. :D

In the words of Chris Tucker in Friday...."You got knocked the **** out!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9z8F4fgj6Q

Bruno
04-24-2012, 04:22 PM
no. in the case of the Lakers, Kobe can't be held responsible for Artest unpredictable, on the edge behavior. If you follow this idea to its conclusion, the combination of league management subjectivity with wild player unpredictability could land stars on the bench at very important times in the season, and nobody wants to see that.

Chronz
04-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Is Kobe even mentioned in the article?

This thread went on this long?

Idiotic - who the hell is Beckley Mason? Never heard of him.

Hit CTRL-F on the page and search for Kobe Bryant.

Chronz
04-24-2012, 04:29 PM
What a moronic theory. Can't prove intent.
Its a subjective call like all other Flagrants.

Doesn't make sense logically.
What if instead of having a HOF career, Kobe ended up getting Kermitted straight to the face? Would you be OK with the scrub getting suspended?

These things dont happen often but when they do they can be very costly, I would HATE to lose Blake because of the intentional mugging he gets from scrubs teams send at him.

Just some hater wanting to see Kobe get benched.
Its not about Kobe, its just an example.

Maybe Harden shouldn't run his mouth to someone who is so out of his league that he isn't even fit to hold his jock strap. The Thunder win a few regular season games and this fool thinks he can talk smack to the Mamba....hahahahahahaha. Looks like Metta gave Harden a little taste of reality there....and sometimes the truth is painful. :D
Classless. Nothing anyone says is worthy of physical retaliation, well unless your a mental midget or he threatens your family.

Raidaz4Life
04-24-2012, 06:34 PM
What if instead of having a HOF career, Kobe ended up getting Kermitted straight to the face? Would you be OK with the scrub getting suspended?

No doubt about it. I would have no problem with the scrub getting suspended. It makes no sense whatsoever to suspend someone not involved. The player acted in his own interest and therefore only he should be penalized. Besides this is hardly a serious enough issue to start coming up with these radical solutions. The only reason Harden was hit was because he tried to instigate contact with MWP, its not like MWP went out of his way to target one of their "stars".

Chronz
04-24-2012, 06:44 PM
NVM I dont know what I was thinking with the Kermit reference, that was a bad comparison, thats over the edge extreme and not what this rule is about.

Avenged
04-24-2012, 06:45 PM

So it makes sense to eject Kobe for something he didn't do? Yeah, clearly.

Chronz
04-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Why do people take their shirts off once they are ejected? Cant they do that in the locker room or better yet why not shower with those jerseys, get the funk out.

tcav701
04-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Chronz is using Kobe as an example. The viscous defense of Kobe isnt really needed.

You Laker fans need to relax....its amazing how relentlessly fans on here defend players. Same can be said about Rose, LBJ, Wade, Melo or any neurotic fan base for any team.

News flash: These stars wouldn't piss on any of you guys if you were on fire. Stop worshiping other men its disgusting.

CoffeeJanitor
04-24-2012, 06:53 PM
What a dumb idea.

Law25
04-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Bettter question. Should Durant get punishment for all the flopping that Hardens does? The phantom hit from Chandler that had him on the floor, if Chandler is thrown out the game it softens the paint because he's the only true defensive stopper for the team. Hardens overraction to Terry's forearm, if Terry get trown out of that game it kills Dallas because no matter how great Dirk is that team goes and have always since terry's arrival went as far as Terry has taken them. What about now with Metta, if ther is no proof of a concussion than he would have over exaggerated again to a greater degree.

How does getting Metta thrown out help? because to point the obvious out he's the best defender on Durant on the Lakers and in the league. Did anyone notice how Durant torched my man Barnes every possesion after. One can make the case that if not Durant than the coach is telling him to flop key players on teams. Another point is, if Metta does come back and these teams meet in the playoffs ther will be two personal fouls and a tech thrown at Metta before he steps on the floor. He wont be able to be aggressive and Durant will light the Lakers up.

Sounds crazy as hell right? about as crazy as what the op talking about.

TmacBryant
04-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Should Kobe be arrested for killing and raping lindsay adams on December 3rd, 1993?

He never denied it didn't happen.

thekmp211
04-24-2012, 07:09 PM
i get the point, but really.

smart people in the hoops community are not doing themselves justice by trying to "nuance" this situation. it's cut. and. dry.

you can debate motive, culture, and all these other intangibles til the cows come home. in this case not only is it irrelevant, it's kind of embarassing.

there is one person who clearly did something far outside the bounds of the rules, or even decency. whatever implications come from NBA culture don't make people do things. kobe didn't lift and cok MWP's elbow. so, while i respect the attempt to dissect this intellectually, i can't help but laugh at how stupid an exercise it is.

xbrackattackx
04-24-2012, 07:29 PM
So when Reggie Evans fouls hard blake or Paul should be ejected , ok i got it.

Yea and when someone robs a bank someone he knows should be punished to for doing nothing. People harp on the negative when something happens, then say they miss 80's and 90's basketball. If you guys got to watch the bad boy pistons in today's league, half of psd would be crying about basketball is too tough. Man up or play golf or tennis or some other zero contact sport. hard fouls are part of the game, stop driving and dunking every shot if you don't wanna get leveled.

I am not justifying Peaces cheap shot either. I mean hard fouls.

episodenone
04-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Why do people take their shirts off once they are ejected? Cant they do that in the locker room or better yet why not shower with those jerseys, get the funk out.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha -- good one!

But seriously -- let's say Kobe is out for a couple games with a shin injury -- do you still eject him because he is the best player?

Oh wait til he comes back?

What if he decides to rest until the playoffs? Instead he comes back and bench warms his suspension?

Dog Poop > This Theory

DenButsu
04-25-2012, 01:07 PM
The criteria is up to the team of the guy who got fouled, its their decision, nothing arbitrary about that.

And sure these type of things dont happen often but as a fan of a player who is definitely targeted, I would hate to lose him for any amount of time because other teams can afford to send bums like Smith and Lopez at him.

Emotionally, in terms of appealing to my sense of fairness, I totally get where you're coming from. But at the end of the day doing something unfair (to the player the injured player's team chose) for the sake of fairness isn't really fair, so it's not the right answer.

I think what is the right answer is to make acts of clearly intentional violence outside the normal play of the game so heavily penalized that the risk would pretty much never outweigh the reward. For example, you commit one such act, it's an automatic 30 gamer. Seconf violation, out for the remainder of the season. Do it in the playoffs, you not only sit out the playoffs but the entire following season. Without pay.

These guys are rich, but they still want their money, and they still dono't want their legacy and reputation to be irreversibly damaged.

Melo got 15 for punching a player (or slapping, some will say). No way MWP should have gotten any less for what he did if the league is going to be consistent. Especially given his history.

nycsports2
04-25-2012, 01:18 PM
lol **** no

CityofChaos
04-25-2012, 01:28 PM
If anything, the entire Thunder roster should be ejected for not hitting back. If my dude got taken out I would come back with a seemingly 'unintentional' blow at one of their guys on the next play.

lol and no im not a Lakers fan.

Missing56&33
04-25-2012, 01:32 PM
No, terrible idea.

JC_
04-25-2012, 02:38 PM
News flash: These stars wouldn't piss on any of you guys if you were on fire. Stop worshiping other men its disgusting.

lol

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-25-2012, 02:45 PM
any of you guys if you were on fire. Stop worshiping other men its disgusting.

Dude, I'd rather burn to ashes than have a guy urinate on my face. That's disgusting! :puke:

ManningToTyree
04-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Nah that is pretty stupid. You punish the individual responsible not the entire team

AceMan
04-25-2012, 02:55 PM
It's so subjective. Imagine if Wade got ejected instead of LeBron, ESPN wouldn't shut up about it for a week.

Kevj77
04-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Imagine if this happened in other sports. A linebacker for the Green Bay Packers does a helmet to helmet hit on the other teams best WR giving him a head injury and Aaron Rodgers got ejected. Or Chad Billingsly throwing at a batters head and ejecting Matt Kemp. I don't see why Kobe should have been ejected for what MWP did.

Bad idea for the NBA or any sport.