PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Spurs Appreciation Thread

psperry34116
04-24-2012, 09:53 AM
The Spurs just clinched the no. 1 seed in the west for the second year in a row. This would normally be pretty cool, but given the fact that this is with the same core of guys who they won a championship with 9 years ago. The Spurs have had a winning percentage of over 60% every year since 1999.... Their consistency has been completely unparallelled and they have been a title contender practically every year this decade with no major trades, no big free agent signings, just one top-10 all time player and some ingenious draft picks. Bravo pop, bravo.

NYKnicks4511
04-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Spurs are a bunch of weenies. First round knockout.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-24-2012, 10:04 AM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=713844

celtNYpatsHeels
04-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Lots of consistency with Pop and Buford. That definitely helps. They do a great job of drafting (especially international talent). Yes they got lucky in getting Duncan, but they have done a tremendous job in building around him. It will be a sad day when Duncan retires. He represents the way stars SHOULD act. He is the polar opposite of Howard, James etc...

Congrats to the Spurs, I hope to see a deep run for them.

LAKobeBryant
04-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Appreciation thread? No one even cheers for them if they weren't so good. Only San antonio fans there are probably from when Tim Duncan first entered the league. Past 10 years they have been consistently good but no one cared.

kdspurman
04-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Appreciation thread? No one even cheers for them if they weren't so good. Only San antonio fans there are probably from when Tim Duncan first entered the league. Past 10 years they have been consistently good but no one cared.

http://i.qkme.me/3ede.jpg

Weezy
04-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Scary team to face......thats for sure.

PatsSoxKnicks
04-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Scary team to face......thats for sure.

Yup and a fun team to watch if you're just tuning into the casual basketball game. This isn't your same old Spurs teams from the past. They don't play at a slow pace and bore you to death with their D. No, they run and gun and space the floor out with excellent 3 point shooting. I honestly love watching the Spurs play.

PatsSoxKnicks
04-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Spurs are a bunch of weenies. First round knockout.

Have you watched a single Spur game this year? Can you name a single player on their team besides their big 3?

Bet the answer to both is a no.

Weezy
04-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Yup and a fun team to watch if you're just tuning into the casual basketball game. This isn't your same old Spurs teams from the past. They don't play at a slow pace and bore you to death with their D. No, they run and gun and space the floor out with excellent 3 point shooting. I honestly love watching the Spurs play.

Pops is a basketball genius also with all the adjustments from his past teams and props to their FO. They have an excellent mix of vets and young players and to top it all of, Tony Parker is a beast. I think he is the most underrated PG in the game.

tcav701
04-24-2012, 01:17 PM
The most impressive thing is how the have done it.

In an era of superstars and ESPN lemmings who go to Steven A Smith and Skip Bayless for NBA knowledge, it's refreshing to see a throw back, pure basketball team be successful.

Of course they dont get the national credit because they dont have a collection of superstars fighting over the ball and whining to the refs.

Congrats Spurs, I hope you meet Boston/Chicago in the Finals and I get to watch a championship series I can be proud of as a basketball fan.

PatsSoxKnicks
04-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Pops is a basketball genius also with all the adjustments from his past teams and props to their FO. They have an excellent mix of vets and young players and to top it all of, Tony Parker is a beast. I think he is the most underrated PG in the game.

Yup and I think a couple new changes to their team from last year should keep them from being one and done: adding Kawhi and giving more minutes to Splitter. In addition, Manu should be healthy going into the playoffs which will help.

However it is still about matchups. They won't get Memphis this year but Utah could give them similar problems in the front court. But I think adding Kawhi will help against a guy like Millsap or even Z-Bo down the line. I know he's a perimeter defender but I think he's tall/long enough that he could attempt to guard Millsap (he's giving up 1 inch and about 20 pounds).

JayW_1023
04-24-2012, 04:13 PM
The most impressive thing is how the have done it.

In an era of superstars and ESPN lemmings who go to Steven A Smith and Skip Bayless for NBA knowledge, it's refreshing to see a throw back, pure basketball team be successful.

Of course they dont get the national credit because they dont have a collection of superstars fighting over the ball and whining to the refs.

Congrats Spurs, I hope you meet Boston/Chicago in the Finals and I get to watch a championship series I can be proud of as a basketball fan.

Amen. The thing is, The Spurs never were the most talented team on paper, even with Duncan in his prime. They just have no one interested in individual accolades.

Team basketball kills overall talent. That is how Dallas beat Miami last year.

Hustla23
04-24-2012, 04:17 PM
I've hated the Spurs ever since they beat the Knicks in 99 and made me depressed for like two weeks. :laugh2:

Damn the Spurs!

Raph12
04-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Pop is easily the best coach in the league, so underrated...

Weezy
04-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Pop is easily the best coach in the league, so underrated...

Rightfully so he def deserves it.

Ezio
04-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Been a fan of them since Timmy entered the league :love:

BearsBullsSox
04-24-2012, 04:45 PM
I want Thibs to win coach of the year, but people have short term memories and will forget that the Bulls had a better record than San Antonio for the vast majority of the season and beat the Spurs in San Antonio this year. All of that will be forgotten and Pop will win coach of the year because NBA fans and voters are fickle, dont remember anything that happens unless it happened last night, and are quick to jump on a new team's bandwagon on a weekly basis. One week everyone is on the Bulls jock, the next it's the Heat, then the next wee everyone is on OKC's jock, now it's San Antonio. No one was even talking about Pop or San Antonio a few months ago and now Pop will win coach of the year over Thibs just because they got hot in the last week. No one will remember that OKC was number 1 in the west most of the season before people fled that bandwagon.

JasonJohnHorn
04-24-2012, 04:54 PM
I love the Spurs and nothing would make me happier than the Spurs winning another title. Well... watching the Heat get swept out of the first round would make me pretty happy to, or watching them get swpet by the Bulls would be nice, but a season ending with a Spurs title would give my a chubby.
That said, they've matched up poorly with Memphis last year and the Suns a couple years before that. I'm hoping that they can play to their full potential this post season, cause the last few have been lackluster!

JEDean89
04-24-2012, 05:02 PM
spurs do it by finding talent outside of the lottery. it is a misconception for a lot of people that you need super high draft bigs to find young talent. the spurs have rebuilt a their team since they won their first championship, then rebuilt it again by making excellent draft picks, and finding FA's like gary neal. Seriously in 2 years they took a 26 1st round draft pick, who was excellent, turned it into this years 15th draft pick Kawhi Leonard, who ends up being rated like the 5th best rookie. So you basically get a top 5 rook, with a 26th overall pick. It's truly amazing, the bobcats suck but i just saw that they have had lotto picks for 8 of the last 9 years, so wtf are they still tanking for? the nuggets are another team that show people how to rebuild without having to miss the playoffs. in fact that should be every teams motto, rebuild without missing the playoffs. honestly the draft is a complete crapshoot, teams usually get better through FA or trades. the spurs are a terrific model for other teams to follow, they have homegrown talent, never miss the playoffs, have youth, have speed and championship experience. this is not the same team that was 1st round exit.

Rain City
04-24-2012, 05:05 PM
i have hated the spurs for years because of how boring they are and how good they have, but as a true sports fan i can appreciate the consistency they have maintained. I am actually rooting for a spurs vs celts finals this year. Much props to pop, duncan, manu, tp and the rest of the organization.

Jarvo
04-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Spurs >

I think im the ONLY Spurs fan in Miami and get lots of heat for it lol *haters gonna hate walk* but im glad they're playing super well I know for sure they're gonna have a long run this year playoffs.

Jarvo
04-24-2012, 06:17 PM
I've hated the Spurs ever since they beat the Knicks in 99 and made me depressed for like two weeks. :laugh2:

Damn the Spurs!

Lol you and my brother, He's a knick fan and still really havent got over it.

tcav701
04-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Spurs >

I think im the ONLY Spurs fan in Miami and get lots of heat for it lol *haters gonna hate walk* but im glad they're playing super well I know for sure they're gonna have a long run this year playoffs.

Whats funny about that is you joined PSD the exact month/year the Heat became an NBA expansion team.

fresh prince
04-24-2012, 07:09 PM
It pains me to say it but they are going to be your 2012 NBA Champions..

The Writing was on the wall as soon as the lockout ended ( see 1999) and then Danny Green turned into a monster and that sealed the deal.