PDA

View Full Version : Attendance

Krylian
04-23-2012, 11:57 AM
@LottOnBaseball

Every AL East team except Toronto is enjoying higher average home attendance this year. (from @baseballprospectus)

------

Concern?

Discuss.

2009mvp
04-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Meh. Largely a function of the schedule so far, mid-week games against the Rays and O's aren't exactly hot tickets. Won't get better anytime soon with the M's coming in on the weekend either. Sucks, but nothing anyone should be concerned about.

Converged
04-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Unless we are competing for a wild card spot in September, I imagine attendance will be roughly the same as last year -- maybe a slight increase due to the new marketing (new logo, youth movement, etc), but unless a winning team is on the field, people won't come. Simple as that.

2009mvp
04-23-2012, 12:41 PM
This (http://www.saveonbrew.com/tl_files/images/Blog/2012%20MLB%20stadium%20prices.jpg) concerns me way more. 3rd in the freakin league! But at least the selection is great, not just big brewery junk out of a can, right? Oh wait...

the_jon
04-23-2012, 12:47 PM
This (http://www.saveonbrew.com/tl_files/images/Blog/2012%20MLB%20stadium%20prices.jpg) concerns me way more. 3rd in the freakin league! But at least the selection is great, not just big brewery junk out of a can, right? Oh wait...
Let's all go to Arizona and get wasted!

nithanyo
04-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Even the royals:facepalm: ? Seems like more people were interested in the Flyers, Pens series than the blue jays

Bob_at_york
04-23-2012, 01:11 PM

That is why I never buy a beer at the dome and the people who get drunk there confuse the hell out of me.

JMac4PM
04-23-2012, 01:13 PM
No concern for this IMO... its only early... and also weren't the Jays near the top for increase in attendance last year?

wamco
04-23-2012, 02:29 PM
attendance is pathetic given it is compared to open air stadiums. Guess the revamped bullpen and kick *** prospect ranking didn't resonate, whodathunkit?

mtf
04-23-2012, 02:36 PM
attendance is pathetic given it is compared to open air stadiums. Guess the revamped bullpen and kick *** prospect ranking didn't resonate, whodathunkit?

Well, this is definitely true. The bullpen is not a draw, and outside of the bullpen it's the exact same team they ended the season with last year.

I'd like to see Hutchison, Alvarez and Drabek pitch to be honest, but Rogers pricing is ridiculous. I don't understand how they can't lower pricing for tickets that only get sold for the big ticket games.

They need to implement a dynamic ticket price structure like San Francisco has. It'd be a win-win.

sanjay_prick
04-23-2012, 02:51 PM
It's only April. Maybe at the end of the season it will be a concern.

Keep in mind the teams that have visited Toronto so far, and the competition that other teams have had.

Come May, attendance will pick up, especially with a series against Darvish and the Rangers, the Yankees, and a weekend Mets series (potential for a lot of New York visitors that week).

scottythegreat1
04-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Having poor attendance is normal in Toronto in the first month or so. Most people in the GTA are more concerned about Hockey playoffs than they are Baseball. It doesnt matter if The Maple Leafs are in it or not, Hockey is more important.

I do admit though, I thought it would be better with Toronto, Montreal AND Buffalo all not making it, people just love their hockey in Eastern Canada.

That is why on Tuesday nights, you USED TO get a cheap ticket to the Rogers Centre. You could get into the Skydeck for $2.....thats right $2. They ran that every Tuesday home game in April and May.

If the Blue Jays really wanted to get people into Rogers Centre, they would have a cheap (non-alcoholic) section in skydeck at every non-Yankee/Red Sox game until they start to fill that place (ie. over 35,000 people averaging a game)....Price to enter this section: $5.

Canadian hemi
04-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Yeah...I'm not happy about the lack of attendance, but not worried, as it's still hockey season.

Mind you, I thought attendance would be higher now, than this time last year...because of the changes, and potential of the this years team.

dtmagnet
04-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Its been pretty cold so far, gotta think with the warmer weather it will increase a bit.

craigerlee
04-23-2012, 04:38 PM

Isn't alcohol taxed significantly more in Ontario then anywhere in the states? HST is pretty high too in comparison I'd think. I imagine prices reflect that and that Toronto I would think has one of the higher disposable incomes out of any MLB city.

scottythegreat1
04-23-2012, 06:42 PM
I dont buy beer at any sporting events.....and its because of the inelasticity of demand....they know people want to drink beer so they can almost charge whatever they want and people will buy it. I try not to buy anything at the stadiums because of this.

If I go to a sporting event, Im having my beer before and after the game just so i can save a few dollars.

TRIUMPHATOR
04-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Isn't alcohol taxed significantly more in Ontario then anywhere in the states? HST is pretty high too in comparison I'd think. I imagine prices reflect that and that Toronto I would think has one of the higher disposable incomes out of any MLB city.

Toronto did have a very high average of high disposable incomes, but over the last decade we have seen an unprecidented increase of both tax and fees, and its only going to get worse until Ontarians wake up and understand that we can't have all the social programs we want.

Ok back on topic. Attendance will continue at this pace with a possible slight increase. But I will guarantee that when our boys get into the playoffs this/next year, it'll be sold out and it'll be the beginning of the new sell out era.

For those of you too young to know the early nineties, it was sellout after sellout to the tune of four million fans a season and even pre-season games in the SKYDOME would draw.

BBB
04-23-2012, 07:54 PM
TV ratings up 54% over previous season

Through mid-April, Sportsnet’s Jays audience was up by 54 per cent over the previous year. Opening day’s TV audience shattered Sportsnet’s previous record by 36 per cent.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/bruce-dowbiggin/tv-viewers-give-rebuilding-jays-a-chance/article2410466/

H-MYK
04-23-2012, 08:10 PM
I don't think people should be concerned. It's only early in the season and people are more interested in the hockey playoffs than baseball this time of year.

2009mvp
04-23-2012, 10:50 PM

Yeah that makes sense. Still, I don't think most people would complain nearly as much about the price if the Rogers Center got with the times and started offering a more diverse selection. There are so many local breweries that I'm sure would be thrilled to have their stuff served at the RC, hell they could start with the one literally right on their freakin doorstep. Those are the little things that would make a drab concrete building a much more tolerable place to watch a ballgame.

craigerlee
04-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Yeah that makes sense. Still, I don't think most people would complain nearly as much about the price if the Rogers Center got with the times and started offering a more diverse selection. There are so many local breweries that I'm sure would be thrilled to have their stuff served at the RC, hell they could start with the one literally right on their freakin doorstep. Those are the little things that would make a drab concrete building a much more tolerable place to watch a ballgame.

I think they have an exclusive agreement with Anheuser Busch. Would be nice however if they had local breweries like Mill Street in there however I'm guessing Anheuser Busch pays the big bucks for those exclusive rights.

2009mvp
04-23-2012, 11:35 PM
^^That blows. Hopefully whenever that current deal is up Rogers decides to put the fan experience first before dollars and cents (LOL who am I kidding?).

craigerlee
04-23-2012, 11:39 PM
^^That blows. Hopefully whenever that current deal is up Rogers decides to put the fan experience first before dollars and cents (LOL who am I kidding?).

I can't guarantee they have an agreement like that, but the only beers I've ever seen there is Bud, Bud Lite, Bud Lite Lime, Stella and Keiths. So it would make sense that they have some agreement. I haven't been to a lot of MLB stadiums, but the ones I have been to, the beer selection is usually pretty generic.

aman_13
04-23-2012, 11:41 PM
I blame HD TVs lol.

bomber0104
04-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Yeah its a combo of a lot of things

- Hockey playoffs
- Baseball being viewed as a summer sport so people will wait till May and June to head to the park
- Non-competing team
- high prices
- College and Uni exam period

aman_13
04-23-2012, 11:47 PM
Yeah its a combo of a lot of things

- Hockey playoffs
- Baseball being viewed as a summer sport so people will wait till May and June to head to the park
- Non-competing team
- high prices
- College and Uni exam period

Yeah great points, especially the bolded. We should expect an increase soon.

adid727
04-24-2012, 12:28 AM

This is so true. The weather isn't helping either.

Kinglorious
04-24-2012, 02:38 AM
I've already voiced my concern on this issue. We're sitting at 24th right now with an average of 24,537. That's about half the building, semi-decent, and it'll pick up during the summer months when the roof is consistently open. I hope.

I'm tired of this playoff hockey excuse. For me, if the Maple Leafs aren't in the playoffs (yeah, I know -- you don't have to tell me, it's been awhile) I really couldn't give two ***** about Penguins/Flyers and especially not Senators/Rangers. Sure, I'll catch a highlight on The Score or TSN or Sportsnet, I might even read about it online or in The Star, but I'm certainly not shunning the Blue Jays to watch playoff hockey. **** that.

I mean, ****, I know we're Canadian and a lot of us like hockey, but come on. It's the summer. The Leafs and Raps are done -- focus on the Jays now.

Sanyo
04-24-2012, 06:00 AM
The anheuser busch exclusive agreement makes sense considering most restaurants have exclusive deals with either Pepsi or Coke and same can apply here as well, though typically you dont see it with alcoholic beverages. Surprised though that American beer is the most prominent feature at the Rogers Centre.

Bob_at_york
04-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Surprised though that American beer is the most prominent feature at the Rogers Centre.

That is the part that shocked my father-in-law last year when he went to his first game since the 1994.

JMac4PM
04-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Our attendance increased by 200k fans from 2010 to 2011. The team is doing a lot better this season so I'd expect a similar increase this season... just gotta give it time.

nithanyo
04-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Our attendance increased by 200k fans from 2010 to 2011. The team is doing a lot better this season so I'd expect a similar increase this season... just gotta give it time.

i think the Canada day Phillies series played a part in that. Rememeber we didn't play 3 games n 2010. thats about 130k people in that series alone

masTOR_shake1
04-24-2012, 01:17 PM
what do they mean by "higher than average"? Are they compairing the blue jays home attendence to the league average of last year or Toronto's home average? I've been pretty impressed with the crowds so far I must say, I went to one of the orioles games and there were far more people than I would have expected.

MVP1
04-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Hockey playoffs have little to do with the attendance. People seem to forget this team hasn't made the playoffs since 93 and fans aren't gonna jump on board until the team is competitive.

GNick
04-29-2012, 05:48 AM
@LottOnBaseball

Every AL East team except Toronto is enjoying higher average home attendance this year. (from @baseballprospectus)

------

Concern?

Discuss.

Skydome/Rogers is kind of drab. Watch a game elsewhere the smell of fresh cut grass, full seats, beautiful stadium. The turf they employ Jays need a fast exciting team to create interest in their fans. A combination of speed, power and highlight reel defensive plays. To give fans that extra umf to the game. Some of most popular jay...Devo, Robbie, Tony, Joe. What was anymore exciting than Devo making a great running catch, or Tony making a great play going deep into the hole or Joe's clutch hitting? Robbie's head first slide or his famous delay steal of third. It's the little things that make the difference, not totally wins and losses.

The average Canadian fan baseball is a second sport, tid them over until hockey season starts. They are not content to sit there for 3 hours watching a moneyball type team. Fans will come back but it take time.

Also, more colorful announcers. Sometimes I watch YES just for the openimg commentary. I mean Buck Martinez? We need a new Schulman or Kubek. They start the interest in some fans.

fmradioguy
04-29-2012, 04:18 PM
@LottOnBaseball

------

Concern?

Discuss.

This post is already outdated, not surprisingly. Average attendance is currently up from 2011.

MVP1
04-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Game on Saturday was pretty good. I don't know if that has anything to do with the 4:00 start time.

BBB
04-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Crunched some numbers

Through 12 home games so far..
2011: Total - 283,469...Avg - 23,622
2012: Total - 298,227...Avg - 24,852

14,758 Increase from last year.

A couple 11000(in attendance) games against the A's in 2011 made the difference.

wamco
04-30-2012, 11:36 AM
think rogers is pumped about those figures?

Bob_at_york
04-30-2012, 11:59 AM
think rogers is pumped about those figures?

Should have a big crowd tonight, if they don't then it would be telling.

scottythegreat1
04-30-2012, 12:56 PM
I dont know how many people want to see Yu Darvish tonight, but I figure there will be about 30,000 tonight, plus a whole bunch of camera crews from Japan.

Im glad attendance is up so far, there is a little hype surrounding the team. We are on track to have about 2,000,000. I hope we can get more when the Summer arrives.

wamco
04-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Should have a big crowd tonight, if they don't then it would be telling.

says more about the rangers than the jays

WhatSayYou
04-30-2012, 03:18 PM
I wish i lived in toronto

dtmagnet
04-30-2012, 04:10 PM
I wish i lived in toronto

If I lived in Toronto I'd probably buy season seats.

WhatSayYou
04-30-2012, 05:29 PM

Only one trip out to Seattle this year too :(

BBB
04-30-2012, 07:17 PM

Same here.

madmike77
05-01-2012, 05:04 PM
I dont know how many people want to see Yu Darvish tonight, but I figure there will be about 30,000 tonight, plus a whole bunch of camera crews from Japan.

Im glad attendance is up so far, there is a little hype surrounding the team. We are on track to have about 2,000,000. I hope we can get more when the Summer arrives.

The hype is good and bad. It's good in that it's getting people more interested in the Jays.

But it's potentially bad if they don't deliver a decent season - not necessarily playoffs, but something that shows progress from last year. If the Jays have a poor season, fans are going to grow cynical and not show up no matter how promising the team may be in the future.

The bottom line is one of these days the Jays actually have to deliver on their promise - fans have been hearing about how promising the team is for too long at this point.

Kinglorious
05-02-2012, 06:07 PM
The weekend series against the Mariners was pretty good.

Game 1: 24,303
Game 2: 30,765
Game 3: 22,320

If we have a solid record by the summer months (school's out, roof's open, etc...) an average of 30,000 to 32,000 is quite possible. I'd love to crack the Top-15 this year.

We're at 21st at the moment -- 24,210 -- might go up to 20th (I'm not sure if they've added the last game vs. the Rangers yet). And that's an alright starting point...

wamco
05-02-2012, 06:48 PM
comparing april attendance (or really attendance at all) between open air and domed stadiums is silly.

fmradioguy
05-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Again, it's still really early and things will change by season's end, but I thought this was interesting...

The Jays rank 7th of 14 in AL in attendance so far this year at just over 24K a game. Even if they were averaging an even 33K a game, they'd still rank 7th.

Krylian
05-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Again, it's still really early and things will change by season's end, but I thought this was interesting...

The Jays rank 7th of 14 in AL in attendance so far this year at just over 24K a game. Even if they were averaging an even 33K a game, they'd still rank 7th.

That is interesting. Huge gap between #6 and #7.

fmradioguy
05-06-2012, 02:19 PM
That is interesting. Huge gap between #6 and #7.

Mind you, 5 out of the 6 teams ahead of the Jays in attendance are also in the top 6 in payroll.

nithanyo
05-06-2012, 04:21 PM
wish we had a smaller ball park so the place looks fuller

wamco
05-06-2012, 06:43 PM
wish people who signed up for fantasy baseball and pledged their allegiance kept thier word! Stuff it Nithanyo dead beat!

"lol"

scottythegreat1
05-07-2012, 02:14 PM
wish we had a smaller ball park so the place looks fuller

Thats the problem, but they built Rogers Centre to last. What they need to do is lower the price for non-Yankee/Red Sox games during the week and youll get more people in there. We have the fourth largest stadium in the league, lets try to fill it up...You have to remember that this isnt the NFL. In the NFL you HAVE to sell out your stadium to get a television contract. The Buffalo Bills actually have the cheapest tickets in the league for this reason...theyre trying to sell seats, they practically give away their tickets to get a sellout. If we HAD to sellout the games, youd see skydeck tickets going for $2 on game days.

There is also a reason why Toronto had attendance records in the early 90s, yes they were winning, but they had the seating numbers to do it. Boston averages a sellout year in and year out, but they cant beat our attendance records because they have 37,000 seats, we have 49,000 seats. I imagine that when the next generation of stadiums comes out, we will still play in the concrete jungle we call the Skydome/Rogers Centre, while teams start rolling out 60,000 seat stadiums and well be one of the smaller stadiums.

We wont be leaving Rogers Centre anytime soon, I can imagine that Rogers Centre will be a baseball only venue in about 10 years when the Argos move to BMO Field (its coming, trust me) when they eventually expand it to 30,000 seats (also coming).

nithanyo
05-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Thats the problem, but they built Rogers Centre to last. What they need to do is lower the price for non-Yankee/Red Sox games during the week and youll get more people in there. We have the fourth largest stadium in the league, lets try to fill it up...You have to remember that this isnt the NFL. In the NFL you HAVE to sell out your stadium to get a television contract. The Buffalo Bills actually have the cheapest tickets in the league for this reason...theyre trying to sell seats, they practically give away their tickets to get a sellout. If we HAD to sellout the games, youd see skydeck tickets going for $2 on game days.

There is also a reason why Toronto had attendance records in the early 90s, yes they were winning, but they had the seating numbers to do it. Boston averages a sellout year in and year out, but they cant beat our attendance records because they have 37,000 seats, we have 49,000 seats. I imagine that when the next generation of stadiums comes out, we will still play in the concrete jungle we call the Skydome/Rogers Centre, while teams start rolling out 60,000 seat stadiums and well be one of the smaller stadiums.

We wont be leaving Rogers Centre anytime soon, I can imagine that Rogers Centre will be a baseball only venue in about 10 years when the Argos move to BMO Field (its coming, trust me) when they eventually expand it to 30,000 seats (also coming).

Seating pricing doesnt make much of a difference. Non-yankee/red sox tickets are cheaper anyways.

The problem is the team needs a contender followed by some high profile acquisitons. If you look at 2006 when we got 4 high profile players our attendance spiked.

If we make the playoffs this year followed by a high profile acquisiton i can see us averaging 30,000 next year. If we can put a playoff calibre team on a yearly basis i can see us averagin 35-40,000.

BBB
05-07-2012, 06:43 PM

60,000 seat baseball stadiums? Not going to happen.

scottythegreat1
05-07-2012, 07:12 PM
60,000 seat baseball stadiums? Not going to happen.

Give it 10 - 15 years.

nithanyo
05-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Give it 10 - 15 years.

baseball is moving towards smaller ballparks. I think the Nats and Marlins have sub 40,000 seats

scottythegreat1
05-08-2012, 12:16 AM
Washington and Miami arent the biggest baseball markets.

Wait until Chicago needs a new stadium...Wrigley Field needs a lot of repairs, dont be surprised if they decide to get a newer facility soon. Im referring to larger markets needing stadiums. Someone in a large market is going to think big one day (Arte Moreno in particular), its inevitable.

MVP1
06-17-2012, 04:01 PM
7th 40,000+ game this year. We had 5 all of last year and 1 in 2010.

Sanyo
06-17-2012, 04:16 PM
I highly doubt baseball goes back to 60,000 seat stadiums. The reason they were so big in the first place was because many of the stadiums were shared by football teams as well (Joe Robbie in Miami is one example). But football has 70,000 because they only play 7 home games and they play one a week and its easier to fill the stadium.

Not to mention its more to maintain a bigger stadium and doesnt make sense. Only team that would do it as someone mentioned it is maybe the Cubs if they ever replace Wrigley. Most stadiums are going at around 40,000 average and thats a ton of room for most games.