PDA

View Full Version : Has the NBA gone too young?

ldawg
04-22-2012, 09:09 AM
It seem like many teams all they want to do is play draft pick or trade for a young player. Has teams lost a desire to win. I see older stars having a hard time finding teams willing to take them on or if they do bury them behind some kid. Hornets turn down a trade that would of made them competitive but elect to play the draft. It seem this is a trend. How long do teams stay in the so called rebuilding mode? It seem like some stay there for ever and form a losing culture in the process. Take a look at Artest No team would trade for him but you know what, He still has the skills to propel a team to the playoffs the way he did the Kings and Rockets. This may sound crazy but Kings had more wins behind Artest than the did Cousins. The sad part is Cousins, Love, Williams etc are considered top players yet they can't Shoulder a team to at least compete for a play off spot. Nash, Dirk etc can still do it and these young cats can't. I know Artest could have net the Bobcats more than 7 wins but there is no way they would have traded for him. Maybe the NBA need to restruck the draft to stop the i tanking instead of punishing the better run teams. No way the Nets should only have 22 wins and the Cats 7. 7 wins for a ball club is pretty bad this is one of the teams that held up the lockout. Get some help its there and then maybe someone will watch. You don't have to be great but at least be competitive. Each of the bottom teams should be somewhere close to snag the 8 spot.

ldawg
04-22-2012, 09:32 AM
Artest did not net the kings and Rockets rings but they compete every night. Bobcats surly could have used him. Now look a Bobcats reputation it has sunk to an all time low. It come to question why even have that team. Its easy to ruin a teams rep and culture.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Artest did not net the kings and Rockets rings but they compete every night. Bobcats surly could have used him. Now look a Bobcats reputation it has sunk to an all time low. It come to question why even have that team. Its easy to ruin a teams rep and culture.

ldawg, you just responded to a damn spammer. :laugh2:

Anyways, yes the NBA has gone too young. There's so much stock put in the guys that "could potentially do something" while the guys who have done it and proven it time after time after time are shoved aside.

Maybe it's a "What have you done for me lately" type of world and "Oh, the promise in this young kid" when he hasn't even stepped foot on an NBA basketball court.

The young guys lack intangibles, that's why it will take them time to make their teams successful.

yanksrock
04-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Ha

xbrackattackx
04-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Bro it hasn't gone young. It's gone cheap a full team of youngsters and you still be under cap. Plus we are going though weird economic times. And most of the older players only wanna be traded to contenders cause they been though rebuilds don't wanna waste their twilights on a perennial loser. I agree attest and Maggette with Dj,Kemba,Henderson and Biyum they would have won at least 15. Artest is better when the offense flows though him.

gwrighter
04-22-2012, 10:11 AM
That's what happens when talent hoarding runs centre stage in a league. Either you trade for "Artest" or a similar player and be stuck in mediocrity, or you tank the **** out of your team in hopes that you get a franchise altering player. The talent level has risen to the point where those guys can only be a supporting player on a contender.

Becks2307
04-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Does it make more sense to keep trading for vets to try to get 7-10 more wins a season and have no hope for the future

THE 2002-2008 Knicks!

or get the youngins and become elite? OKC!

KnicksR4Real
04-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Do you want a young player to build around for years or Tim Duncan. ***** obvious, stupid thread. Young > Old

ccugrad1
04-22-2012, 11:30 AM
I am not trying to start a war here, but who really cares about the Bobcats? The NBA could contract them, along with a few other teams, and quite frankly, no one would miss them.

b@llhog24
04-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Lol MWP may not even be the best player on the Bobcats

AndyfromNeptune
04-22-2012, 12:06 PM
I am not trying to start a war here, but who really cares about the Bobcats? The NBA could contract them, along with a few other teams, and quite frankly, no one would miss them.

I think with the upcoming draft class, things are about to become a lot more competitive.

ChiSox219
04-22-2012, 01:24 PM
The young guys lack intangibles, that's why it will take them time to make their teams successful.

I disagree with this, how can you look at a guy like James Harden and say he lacks intangibles? He might be the exception to the rule but there are plenty examples of players still on their rookie contracts that play intelligent and efficient basketball.

Wade>You
04-22-2012, 01:39 PM
If younger guys are helping teams win games and outperforming older guys, than that's the direction that teams will go in because it is in their best interest to do so.

To tamper with the natural progression of the game is not in the best interest of the sport.

b@llhog24
04-22-2012, 03:47 PM
I disagree with this, how can you look at a guy like James Harden and say he lacks intangibles? He might be the exception to the rule but there are plenty examples of players still on their rookie contracts that play intelligent and efficient basketball.

You can add Kyrie to the list.