PDA

View Full Version : Torts Should be fired !

mikel816
04-22-2012, 08:38 AM
If the Rangers get knocked out in the first round again they should seriously consider firing Torts. I wasn't a fan of the hiring from the beginning and I've always felt Renney did a lot more with a lot less.

NYY09
04-22-2012, 09:55 AM
If the Rangers get knocked out in the first round again they should seriously consider firing Torts. I wasn't a fan of the hiring from the beginning and I've always felt Renney did a lot more with a lot less.

:laugh2:

Surely you can't be serious.

Rangers in 7
04-22-2012, 10:04 AM
i dont agree with the renney part, but you cant say that torts has made some questionable calls this postseason....it seems that once the rangers get a lead torts plays defense and stops playing half his line up.....makes no sense and to be honest its the reason we have lost 2 games this series

now i dont think he should be fired, but he needs to change his style in the playoffs, it just hasnt worked well for us

oak2455
04-22-2012, 10:05 AM

How about you and your 55 post just quit:confused:

NYR_NYJ
04-22-2012, 02:48 PM
Oh god.

This team was picked to barely make the playoffs, never mind make a run at the Presidents trophy. I do think that the Sens coach has made some good moves in this series but there is no reason to jump ship.

bsi
04-22-2012, 04:15 PM
COME ONNNNN!! Gimme a break....Torts is being considered for the Jack Adams. Who's gonna do a better job than him? Anyone that suggests Tom Renney, doesn't have any grasp of what's goin on in the NHL. Renney has some of the best offensive young players in the league now and continues to be at the bottom of the league, in all honesty I doubt he even has a job in Edmonton next year. Torts has had the unfortunate job of having his D decimated most of the year and his go to guy Dubinsky kinda went MIA for most of the year. If we need a scapegoat it's gotta be Gaborik, Richards or Callahan. Those are our top scoring forwards who haven't gotten the job done. Torts has given them every opportunity, switched up the lines, there's really not much more he can do, they have to find a way to score on Anderson. Torts isn't going anywhere.

mikel816
04-22-2012, 04:48 PM
This team has more talent then any team Renney had and Renneys teams went deeper in the playoffs. Another first round knockout in my opinion should definitely put Torts on the hot seat. Not to mention his style of getting an early lead and then playing prevent defense and giving away the game. And the amount of posts I've made has no relevancy on my knowledge of sports or my opinion on a team that I follow religiously.

mikel816
04-22-2012, 04:58 PM
COME ONNNNN!! Gimme a break....Torts is being considered for the Jack Adams. Who's gonna do a better job than him? Anyone that suggests Tom Renney, doesn't have any grasp of what's goin on in the NHL. Renney has some of the best offensive young players in the league now and continues to be at the bottom of the league, in all honesty I doubt he even has a job in Edmonton next year. Torts has had the unfortunate job of having his D decimated most of the year and his go to guy Dubinsky kinda went MIA for most of the year. If we need a scapegoat it's gotta be Gaborik, Richards or Callahan. Those are our top scoring forwards who haven't gotten the job done. Torts has given them every opportunity, switched up the lines, there's really not much more he can do, they have to find a way to score on Anderson. Torts isn't going anywhere.

Im not saying I'd want Renney back I'm just making a point that he did more with less. 2 first round eliminations a possible 3rd and a missed playoff. This team is and has been better then that.

mikel816
04-22-2012, 05:04 PM
This series has been a case of the rangers beating themselves and not a case of the sens outplaying them. This was a hypothetical but if the rangers can't make it past the first round again then I think he will be on the hot seat all next season.

fingerbang
04-22-2012, 05:07 PM
He's been awful for us in the playoffs but you can't fire him after the regular season that we had.

They might be a little worn out, too. Rangers looked fatigued towards the end of the season.

fingerbang
04-22-2012, 05:27 PM
I think it was last season where we had that, "Rangers never blow third period leads" stat. Look at your postseasons under Torts. We blew a huge series lead against Washington his first year. We blew a 3 goal lead in game four of the playoffs last year which basically sealed our fate when we could have evened up the series. This year we blow two leads in the first four games.

We're going to start developing a bad reputation. Ottawa is a team that we can/should/have to beat.

PineAppleFlavor
04-22-2012, 06:14 PM
At this point in time, calling for a firing of John Torterella is just plain ludicrous.

He has done more for this team's identity, confidence, and play in the time he's been Head Coach, than many others before him had, save for the Mike Keenan teams of the 90's.

If something like early exits becomes the norm after being heavily favored, then one may have to look at what's going on with the Coach.
By all accounts, the players LIKE Torterella, as was the case when he was in Tampa Bay.

If ever he loses the ears of his players, then yea, I would agree with looking at other options, but for now, he is still the best fit for this Rangers team.

Oh, and one other thing...this series isn't over yet.
Let's not crown the Sens winners just yet.

Sometimes, you have to lose real heartbreaker series in order to come back and win it big next go round.
Great coaches such as Scotty Bowman (w/Det), Jacque Lemaire (w/NJ), and others...even Torterella himself (w/TB), know this VERY well.

So let's see what happens in Game 6.
And even if NY loses, we can vent a bit, be a LOT pissed off, but let's not lose sight of the fact that as long as the players WANT to play for Coach Torterella, then he will be there next year, and the year after that, and the year after that.

mikel816
04-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Like I said this was a hypothetical. And comparing coaches, players or teams to pre lock out coaches, players and teams shouldn't happen because it's such a different game. I've just started to see a trend in Torts playoff coaching. He coaches not to lose instead of to win. There's players, coaches and teams that are great during the regular season but don't show up in the post season. And so far that's what this team has looked like since Torts took over.

PineAppleFlavor
04-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Like I said this was a hypothetical. And comparing coaches, players or teams to pre lock out coaches, players and teams shouldn't happen because it's such a different game. I've just started to see a trend in Torts playoff coaching. He coaches not to lose instead of to win. There's players, coaches and teams that are great during the regular season but don't show up in the post season. And so far that's what this team has looked like since Torts took over.

Don't forget that when Tortorella took over this team, it was a bit of a coaching mess, the players were either very green or needed to be gotten off the team for being either too old or ineffective, and the general attitude around the team was one of "hoping to win".

Torts changed all that.
Yes, he lost in the first round last season, but any other season outside of the current one, the Rangers were NOT favored.
Those two eliminations by Washington? The Caps were the heavily favored team...that was Washington's window to win.

As for comparing coaches from different eras, I'm not even going there. That's not what the reference was about.
It was about "losing big, before being able to win big".
That hasn't changed much pre-lockout. It's a concept, and a reality many teams face before getting the ultimate prize.

Torts still has a few "lives" as far as many fans, and ownership is concerned.
And like I already told you, if this becomes the norm from here on out, and players stop listening to the guy, THEN that may be time for change at the coaching level.

You know, to this day, I STILL contend, that had it NOT been for the lockout, and the idiots who ran the Tampa Bay Lightning before Jeff Vinik bought the team, the Lightning may have had a nice run as Cup contenders, and maybe even grabbed more than the one they did in '04.

And this New York team in many ways reminds me of that '03 upstart-turned-favorite Tampa Bay team.
And that's a GOOD thing.

yanksrock
04-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Classic NY fans.

NYRFan76
04-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Definitely classic NY fans... love em or hate em! lol...

The Rangers need to light a fire under their ***. Torts is the kind of coach that does that. Players might not like his tactics, but it motivates them to play harder and improve. I don't agree with his public slander towards opponent players, teams and refs. But then again, he's a guy who is passionate about the game. You can't blame him entirely for having the balls to call people out.

But I happen to agree with some of you. If you point the blame somewhere it certainly is due to the lack of scoring. The first half of the season was great. We did score, but later in the season our goals dwindled. The only reason we are winning is because of Torts and Lundvquist. I've been totally disappointed in Richards. This player was supposed to bring leadership and help take us far into the playoffs. Signing this guy was a Glen Sather JOKE! Sorry, just not a fan. He hasn't shown me anything but be a 15/20 goal scorer.

Making Callahan the Captain was the best thing this team could ever have done this year. He's scored his career high season and has stepped up. Even though we lost game 5 and got shutout, he showed true leadership in that game with the way he played.

Our defense is sick. I love the way our defense is this year. Especially in the playoffs.

Right now I point the finger at Richards. He was the biggest signing in the off season and what has he done??? NOTHING. We could have spent the money on a much better player and pure goal scorer. That's what the team is missing a pure goal scorer. The Defense is fine, the goalie is fine and the coach is fine. We need another great shooter to seal the deal. And get rid of that useless Dubinksy.

Ottawa is no push over either. Gotta give credit where credit is due. Even though they are a nasty team as far as playing dirty. This is a huge test for our team. If we can beat a feisty team and hungry team like Ottawa then I will bet they will make the Eastern Conference Finals. For now lets worry about game 6!!! Take it to game 7 and win it in NY!!!

mikel816
04-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Torts was supposed to be this offensive genius and yet the power play has been extremely inconsistent. Not to mention that he takes his foot off the gas as soon as they get a lead. I feel that his personality can wear on a team and it's only a matter of time before all the screaming and pointing fingers doesn't work.

mikel816
04-23-2012, 12:16 AM
I'll admit it's a lil premature to be calling for his head but with the talent that he has in comparison to the talent Tom Renney had there's no way they should be struggling in the first round this year. And even tho the caps were favored in those series the rangers did lead a majority of those games and led one series 3-1 if I remember correctly.

bsi
04-23-2012, 05:31 PM
I'll admit it's a lil premature to be calling for his head but with the talent that he has in comparison to the talent Tom Renney had there's no way they should be struggling in the first round this year. And even tho the caps were favored in those series the rangers did lead a majority of those games and led one series 3-1 if I remember correctly.

I don't know about that...When Renney was here we had Jaromir Jagr and his 123 points in 2005-06, add to that we also had Nylander, Straka, Sykora, Rucinsky etc and we were bounced in 4 straight. I don't see that as doing more with less. Everyone has to remember we probably have the youngest D in the league and to compensate for that we've had our forwards adopt a defensive system, were we to have some veteran responsible D men we'd be able to let our forwards loose. I also think everyone is getting worked up over nothing, I still feel we'll win tonight and continue to the second round after a win at home. I don't blame Torts for anything, in fact I give him credit for making this team competitive so quickly after the rebuild, especially with how many young players we have in the lineup.

fingerbang
04-23-2012, 05:48 PM
I don't know about that...When Renney was here we had Jaromir Jagr and his 123 points in 2005-06, add to that we also had Nylander, Straka, Sykora, Rucinsky etc and we were bounced in 4 straight. I don't see that as doing more with less. Everyone has to remember we probably have the youngest D in the league and to compensate for that we've had our forwards adopt a defensive system, were we to have some veteran responsible D men we'd be able to let our forwards loose. I also think everyone is getting worked up over nothing, I still feel we'll win tonight and continue to the second round after a win at home. I don't blame Torts for anything, in fact I give him credit for making this team competitive so quickly after the rebuild, especially with how many young players we have in the lineup.

IDK. Our defense is the best it's been in years and it's 100x better than what we had that year we got spanked by the Devils. You also can't overlook the fact that Lundqvist was injured going into the playoffs that year. Furthermore we made it out of the first round the next two seasons.

This is the best team we've had in years and they could be setting up their tee times by 10pm.

Isca92
04-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Ive said since Torts was hired that Im not a fan never had been. You can argue what teams are better but none of the teams have been complete, theres always been a piece or two missing. Bsi, Renney has a ton of young talent but no d or goaltending. It takes time lets not forget even Pitt took some time.

Why I dont agree with Torts as coach, they dont have the offensive guns that his system requires. I dont have a name as to who Id prefer but one whos style plays to having one of the best goalies in the World. A style like Phoenix, who for the last 3 years has made goalies, Bryzgalof and Smith. Hitchcock, turned Blues around with a defense first.

I wouldnt mind a new to the NHL, someone whos not stuck in his ways. Someone who doesnt force a player in because he played well 8 years ago. Cant blame Sather for Richards, Torts wanted him he got him.

Ive said all year this team wasnt as good as their record. This team is still not complete. I may not agree with his style of play (Not the only coach who gets his players to skate hard) but I disagree that the results of this series, should affect his contract.

bsi
04-23-2012, 06:56 PM
I've said it all along that we were short a LW and a D especially since Sauer went down, until those spots are addressed we'll have a hard time competing for the cup. Hagelin is a good fill in as a top LW but he's missed the last three so that left us in an even worse situation. I think it's fairly obvious as Hagelin and Kreider are both pencilled into the top 2 LW slots for tonight, that shows how week we are on that left side, Kreider hasn't even played a regular season game and he's on the second line, not that he hasn't deserved it but it just shows where our weakness lies, which is why I was confused as to why we got John Scott and didn't get a top 6 forward at the deadline.

rhymeratic
04-24-2012, 11:16 AM
I'm a proud Rangers fan and I would say no dice on firing him. Unless they were swept which isn't the case. A couple of unlucky bounces of the puck and frankly a bad matchup put them in this position of a game 7. He's had the team firing on all cylinders all season. If they tune him out next year then you got a case but right now I'd say no. And Krieder looks like a steal!

NYR_NYJ
04-27-2012, 12:34 AM
What an awful coach.

Immoknight
04-27-2012, 04:44 PM
I don't even know why this was brought up... when a team is willingly diving to block shots... each player giving their all... and having each others backs the whole way... you don't fire the straw that stirs them on...

fingerbang
04-27-2012, 04:58 PM
I don't even know why this was brought up... when a team is willingly diving to block shots... each player giving their all... and having each others backs the whole way... you don't fire the straw that stirs them on...

Because they blew 2 leads and it was obvious that he had them take their foots off the gas pedal. Have to give him a ton of credit for winning back to back.

Buckethead35
04-30-2012, 03:29 PM
"Right now I point the finger at Richards. He was the biggest signing in the off season and what has he done??? NOTHING. We could have spent the money on a much better player and pure goal scorer. That's what the team is missing a pure goal scorer. The Defense is fine, the goalie is fine and the coach is fine. We need another great shooter to seal the deal. And get rid of that useless Dubinksy."

This is everything that's wrong with our fan base.

Richards led the team in game winning goals this year and stepped it up in the Ottawa series for sure. Is he worth his contract? Nah, I don't think so, but you guys are so impatient you always want us to sign the best guy available. Well, we got him and he was pretty good and now we're in the 2nd round of the playoffs. He had a good but not great season. He was the best on the market. You want a better player and pure goal scorer? We signed the best one that's been on the free agent market in the last 3 years in Gaborik. So take a look at him if you're still antsy in your pantsy.

As far as dubinsky goes: you guys who hate him are the worst, and you're the same people who were calling for Del Zotto's head last year. How did that pan out? Oh yeah, it turns out that sometimes ANYONE can have a bad season, especially 19 year olds. This is what happens with young players sometimes.

Dubs led our team in scoring last year and busts his butt every game. Has this year been miserable for him? Absolutely. We all watch the games--we see how close he comes to scoring. The dude looks cursed out there half the time, and like his hands have turned to stone the other half. But he still hustles, hits, fights and kills penalties...oh and he set up the GWG in game 7 against ottawa so he ain't THAT useless. You all resent him for the cap-hit, but we were paying the same amount to Wolski for sitting in the pressbox, so how about we cut some slack to a 26 year old home grown talent who's done everything the team has asked him to, and you KNOW bleeds ranger blue.

And on top of all of it...the post that started this string was pretty spot on.

Torts had a great season but he had to get us into the 2nd round, because whether you like Renney or not, he coached a team of vagabonds and rookies for three seasons and qualified for the playoffs 3 outta 3 times and made the 2nd round twice. In the same span, Torts squeaked in twice and didn't make it once. Not good.

I wish Torts the best but Renney's track record with our team was and is still better than Torts'--that is until we make the conference finals this year and eventually win the Stanley Cup. Then we can say that Torts is the man and look at him like Keenan.

Until then, we're still a defense-first team that wins games 2-1, which is exactly what we were under Renney except with FAR less talent then (Jagr and Nylander and Straka and who...?), so I really don't see what the big beef is with the Renney-era. Especially considering how many of our youth played their first games under him.

It's just a very typical NY fan disrespect level that's given, especially considering that after 10 absolutely miserable bottom dwelling years Renney led us to the playoffs 3/3 times and won 2 series and lost 2 competitive ones in the 2nd round, only to get fired when we were still in 7th place the next year. And yet you guys talk about him like he was garbage and anyone could've done it. Well, the 19 coaches who got fired between Colin Campbell and him certainly didn't. And Torts didn't do it until this season.

Anyways blahhhhhhhhhh.

You guys always need someone to kick around, even when we're winning. It's Dubisnky today with a side dish of Richards and Gaborik. I can't wait to see who it is tomorrow...

LETS GO RANGERS.

Isca92
04-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Nice rant Buckethead. Ill agree with you that there will always be a whipping boy, whether it be a player, goalie, backup goalie, coach, GM (has had some awful moves but every move has les to where they are today) but until this team goes 82-0, there will always be complaints. Though 4 million for a third liner doesnt cut it. Not if all the little things he did when everyone fell in love with him are done by everyone else. But Im sure that will be a thread come seasons end. Torts was nominated to Jack Adams award today but I believe Hitch has that locked up.

goose14741
04-30-2012, 05:40 PM
How about you and your 55 post just quit:confused:

well as i don't agree about the idea of firing because you never fire the man that got you the number 1 seed ever, i also don't agree with you judging his knowledge by how much time he doesn't waste on forums like you do

bsi
04-30-2012, 09:19 PM
He was nominated for the Jack Adams award, he must be doing something right to be voted ahead of 27 other coaches as one of the top 3 in the NHL.

oak2455
05-01-2012, 10:06 AM
well as i don't agree about the idea of firing because you never fire the man that got you the number 1 seed ever, i also don't agree with you judging his knowledge by how much time he doesn't waste on forums like you do

Disability is a crazy thing almost died you ********.. I would just drop it if I was you.... That's why you shouldn't talk **** if you don't know:facepalm:

episodenone
05-15-2012, 03:07 PM
This team has more talent then any team Renney had and Renneys teams went deeper in the playoffs. Another first round knockout in my opinion should definitely put Torts on the hot seat. Not to mention his style of getting an early lead and then playing prevent defense and giving away the game. And the amount of posts I've made has no relevancy on my knowledge of sports or my opinion on a team that I follow religiously.

How do you say a Coach went deeper in the playoffs before he even gets knocked out?

D'oh - methinks it was a little too early for this thread... :facepalm:

jetsfan89
05-15-2012, 06:28 PM
http://api.ning.com/files/1az8eNNX7pImWbzOju48COLVy6Aj5IOqo0yJ0UyH4vj9Gtws4O WG5zQoqBDxLbN88G1VWmQF2DEb9xwtg95hPQ__/fail_thread.jpg

Now that we're in the ECF, OP is gonna get trolled. So thread closed.