PDA

View Full Version : The future of the detroit pistons.

Uncle Sam
04-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Hey NBA forum. I really havnt posted in here at all, and im sorry if most people wouldnt consider this thread worthy in this section, but im looking to get some questions answered and some insight. I followed basketball closely when I was younger during the 2004-2006 seasons when my pistons were a dominate team and I was playing the game in school. After 2006 though, the pistons began to decline and baseball became my favorite sport by a long-shot, so I stopped folloing the pistons as closely as i once did. First of all, I was wondoring what kind of caliber players Greg Monroe and Brandon Knight are expected to become, and a timeable estimate as to when the pistons will come back into contention. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, im trying to get back into the game so I have a team to follow post-MLB. Thanks!

D12 fan
04-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Greg Monroe could be a poor man version Chris Webber.
Brandon Knight could be a poor man Rajon Rondo.

Uncle Sam
04-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Greg Monroe could be a poor man version Chris Webber.
Brandon Knight could be a poor man Rajon Rondo.

A poor man version? haha

LionsFan..LOL
04-21-2012, 10:49 PM
It's gonna be a while before the Pistons contended for a title. We have a couple of good pieces but still a ways away. Need to dump off the ****** BG and CV contracts as well.

Uncle Sam
04-21-2012, 10:58 PM
It's gonna be a while before the Pistons contended for a title. We have a couple of good pieces but still a ways away. Need to dump off the ****** BG and CV contracts as well.

I had so much respect for Joe-D pre CJ and BG deals, what a waste of money... hopefully they pickup a nice piece in the draft this year and sign a star caliber player when those crappy contracts are off the books.

Pat Thetic
04-21-2012, 11:03 PM
I like their young players, but they did hamstring themselves with big contracts to Gordon, Charlie, and Stuckey. Next year Villanueva's contract becomes a trade asset.

Greg Monroe is for real. No one really talks about him cause he's stuck on a below-average team. Team him with Knight and a swing-man in this draft and they should be able to compete in a couple seasons- think of Indiana (number 3 seed, SERIOUSLY!)

beardown4243
04-21-2012, 11:03 PM
They are going to have to hit on their draft picks...I doubt any top free agent is going to want to go play in Detroit even if they have a solid core when BG and CV come off the books.

Uncle Sam
04-21-2012, 11:19 PM
They are going to have to hit on their draft picks...I doubt any top free agent is going to want to go play in Detroit even if they have a solid core when BG and CV come off the books.

Why not? Look at the tigers getting Fielder, it goes to show that players look more into teams they can win with than anything.

TheDetroitBlue
04-21-2012, 11:29 PM
Why not? Look at the tigers getting Fielder, it goes to show that players look more into teams they can win with than anything.

Bingo although it will be a few years before they compete again this city has seen its fair share of champions

beardown4243
04-21-2012, 11:43 PM

That's completely different...Fielder went to the team that offered him the most. There are max contracts in basketball so you can't outbid other teams. Detroit doesn't have the market that big names will look for (compared to NY, LA, etc...).

GunFactor187
04-21-2012, 11:45 PM
We're in total rebuild mode, if we build around Monroe, Stuckey, and Knight I think we'll be on the right track, just gotta build through the draft and we'll be fine. Also, gotta keep guys like Jerebko on the team as well. I think we've found our coach in Lawrence Frank, defense emphasizing and he gets it, he knew what he signed up for when he got here and I think he's doing a good job utilizing our players, definitely gave Maxiell's career a little revival.

Ezio
04-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Trade everyone for Kyrie

Gators123
04-21-2012, 11:54 PM
Knight and Monroe are going to be a great PG-C combo in the next few years.

Amnesty CV, trade Gordon at the end of next season (he will have an expiring contract after next season, thus easier to trade) and add another lottery pick or two and the Pistons could be a very solid team.

b@llhog24
04-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Who would the Pistons draft, and what area do you think they will pick in?

b@llhog24
04-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Also Greg Munroe is a stud.

Cal827
04-22-2012, 12:38 AM
Detroit is still a bit away, but luckily, they are set in two demanding positions in PG and C. They will likely be looking to draft a SF, since Bradon Knight, Stuckey and Gordon all would take time at SG (Combo Guards)... and the Pistons would likely want to showcase the latter two to see if they could get some team to make a possible trade for them.

If they get lucky, they might get MKG.... If they get reallly lucky, they could get Davis lol but from where they are, assuming another team doesn't bite on him (E.g. My Craptors lol), Barnes might end up a Piston. Austin Daye from what I hear has actually regressed. I wonder if they would consider trading down if they could dump a contract.

Gators123
04-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Who would the Pistons draft, and what area do you think they will pick in?

We will get between the 7-9th pick. Right now draftexpress.com has us taking Perry Jones with the 9th pick.

Hawkeye15
04-22-2012, 01:05 AM
They are in a pinch for the next couple of years with some crap contracts, but Monroe is the real deal, Knight looks like a solid guard, and they will be able to add a nice pick this year.

I have a slight mancrush on Monroe, so I watch them quite a bit. But I do think they are a couple years from being relevant.

Chacarron
04-22-2012, 01:37 AM
I love Greg Monroe. Hopefully they find suckers who will take BG and CV off their payroll. Have they used their amnesty yet? If not, they should get rid of CV. Charlie has little to no trade value at this point.