PDA

View Full Version : Should Norris Cole get minutes in the playoffs?

beasted86
04-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Pretty simple question. Do you think Norris Cole should get play time in the playoffs?

I have a feeling Spoelstra will "hard-head" Cole into his rotation, just like he was hard-headed with leaving Bibby out there last playoffs hoping he turned it around and redeemed himself.... we all know how that went.

justinnum1
04-20-2012, 07:32 PM
**** no!

He is way to much of a liability.

Him and JJ will be out of the rotation by the playoffs imo.

Bron or wade will see min at backup pg i think.

But i really dont want to see cole on the floor at all during the playoffs

I think spo knows he has no room to experiment in the playoffs. And cole is an experiment that has been a huge fail up to this point, his blown defensive assignments, erratic decision making, rarely passes or sets others up, turns it over. I hope spo is smart enough to realize this.

beasted86
04-20-2012, 07:36 PM
On the other hand he might be needed against NY's speed in the backcourt. He did play some solid defense against their PGs, and he could help stifle their transition.

But I think we can beat NY without him anyway.

justinnum1
04-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Its his turnovers and rookie mistakes that i dont want to see. It seems like whenever he is on the floor he is always doing dumb things,(rookie mistakes) We should only play him as a last resort but we can win without him. To many turnovers, misses simple passes, blown defensive assignments. He can stay in front of someone but when it comes to help D, he is pretty bad. Not to mention he could be the worst finisher around the rim i have seen in a while. PLus you can tell he doesnt have any confidence. Id rather see harris out there.

gotoHcarolina52
04-20-2012, 07:57 PM
The only minutes he gets should see him sitting on the bench, entirely engulfed by an explosion of toxic digestive gasses that goes four deep.

Wade>You
04-20-2012, 08:15 PM
He should and he will.

His play is part of the reason the Heat are better this year.

justinnum1
04-20-2012, 08:17 PM
He should and he will.

His play is part of the reason the Heat are better this year.

You can not be serious.

Whenever he enters the game, we start sucking hardcore.

He is shooting under 30% since the all star break, he is the defenition of a scrub. Maybe next year.

Derick713
04-20-2012, 08:32 PM
You gotta think that Spo would like to give mins to Norris so he gets a feel for what the playoffs are like. He is the future for the Heat. At the least it will be a learning experience for Norris. Spo might opt to reduce the mins of Chalmers and Cole in favor of Miller and Battier.

Wade>You
04-20-2012, 08:46 PM
You can not be serious.

Whenever he enters the game, we start sucking hardcore.

He is shooting under 30% since the all star break, he is the defenition of a scrub. Maybe next year.Nope, I'm serious. I mean, if Joel and Battier have been pretty non-existent all year long and Spo still believes in them, I don't think one bad game is gonna be enough for Spo to give up on Cole.

Just my opinion though and I could be wrong.

justinnum1
04-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Nope, I'm serious. I mean, if Joel and Battier have been pretty non-existent all year long and Spo still believes in them, I don't think one bad game is gonna be enough for Spo to give up on Cole.

Just my opinion though and I could be wrong.

One bad game? When was the last time he had a good game?

justinnum1
04-20-2012, 08:52 PM
You gotta think that Spo would like to give mins to Norris so he gets a feel for what the playoffs are like. He is the future for the Heat. At the least it will be a learning experience for Norris. Spo might opt to reduce the mins of Chalmers and Cole in favor of Miller and Battier.

hey derrick, i miss your trade scenarios.

Coles min are already pretty small, he is down to 10min per game, he is shooting under 30% since the all star break and only av 1.3 ast per game.

I would be shocked if he is part of the playoff rotation.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/13509/the-timely-rise-of-the-heat-role-players

check out that article, the last few games, miller, battier, haslem and rio(the role players) have been pretty good avg 25pts and 13 reb per game

Wade>You
04-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Maybe because I wasn't watching during this losing stretch that we went on, but was there a game all season that anyone looked back afterwards and said, "Cole is the reason we lost"? I don't recall a game like that at all.

Biggest reason for our losses this year:
-Joel non-existent
-Battier non-existent and defense was lacking
-Both Joel and Battier combine for over 48 minutes w/o doing anything. The Heat are essentially playing 4-on-5 every night.
-Harris didn't get enough PT despite proving to be better than Battier
-Ditto for Pittman over Joel

justinnum1
04-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Maybe because I wasn't watching during this losing stretch that we went on, but was there a game all season that anyone looked back afterwards and said, "Cole is the reason we lost"? I don't recall a game like that at all.

Biggest reason for our losses this year:
-Joel non-existent
-Battier non-existent and defense was lacking
-Both Joel and Battier combine for over 48 minutes w/o doing anything. The Heat are essentially playing 4-on-5 every night.
-Harris didn't get enough PT despite proving to be better than Battier
-Ditto for Pittman over Joel

Well you missed what a true scrub cole has been. Shooting 30%, he is a turnover machine, and we have a small margin for error, cole makes it even smaller.

Wade>You
04-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Well you missed what a true scrub cole has been. Shooting 30%, he is a turnover machine, and we have a small margin for error, cole makes it even smaller.But was he the sole reason we lost? Or how big a role did he play in the loss?

justinnum1
04-20-2012, 09:02 PM
But was he the sole reason we lost? Or how big a role did he play in the loss?

It played a role because we would constantly lose leads with him in or the other team would pull away. Opposing teams dont even guard him.

He's shooting 10% from 3 in april. and 22% from 3 since the all star break. he is a huge liability out there.

Wade>You
04-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Either way, I'm here to break it to you guys (;))

I'm not saying that Cole will play this post-season, but I will say this: The same thing I see in Cole is the same thing I saw in Haslem and Chalmers. It's also the same thing I see in Pitt and Harris.

You guys probably weren't around in 2004, but I defended Haslem to the death when everyone thought we would need an upgrade at PF BEFORE the season started.

I'm sure you guys know that I've defended Chalmers plenty of times, as well, when everyone had lost hope in him.

These guys embody the Heat culture and that means a lot.

They're here to stay.

:hide:

mrs rose
04-20-2012, 09:07 PM
you have to be kidding me.. the Same FANS dissing cole, are the same fans that asked for YEARS to be patient with chalmers.. #smh

justinnum1
04-20-2012, 09:10 PM
you have to be kidding me.. the Same FANS dissing cole, are the same fans that asked for YEARS to be patient with chalmers.. #smh

Big difference when we are trying to win a championship. Do you watch the games? if so how can you possibly say cole has played well this season, or even ok? He is a liability, not trying to be an *** hole but we cant afford his rookie mistakes on a team trying to win it all.

By the way, hope everything is well mrs rose.

gotoHcarolina52
04-20-2012, 09:13 PM

I'll patiently await Cole's development throughout the offseason and the 2012-13 regular season. For now, he is definitely welcome to stick around while he rides the bench.

#smdaoyf

mrs rose
04-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Big difference when we are trying to win a championship. Do you watch the games? if so how can you possibly say cole has played well this season, or even ok? He is a liability, not trying to be an *** hole but we cant afford his rookie mistakes on a team trying to win it all.

By the way, hope everything is well mrs rose.

EVERYTHING... is great this year has been full of blessings, and my schedule doesnt allow me to catch all of the games. however i will say this chalmers makes a lot of mistakes as well, and he has been here for a while. chalmers has been the reason for some games lost, and that to me has been something that has frustrated me not just this season, but since he has been here.

so the solution cant be on the shoulders of a rookie. i just want it to be fair, if you guys wanted patience with chalmers, why doesnt cole get the same treatment.

justinnum1
04-20-2012, 09:27 PM
EVERYTHING... is great this year has been full of blessings, and my schedule doesnt allow me to catch all of the games. however i will say this chalmers makes a lot of mistakes as well, and he has been here for a while. chalmers has been the reason for some games lost, and that to me has been something that has frustrated me not just this season, but since he has been here.

so the solution cant be on the shoulders of a rookie. i just want it to be fair, if you guys wanted patience with chalmers, why doesnt cole get the same treatment.

The first 2 seasons for chalmers we werent contending for a ring

Last year rio had his ups and downs but he wasnt anywhere as awful as cole has been this season. When cole comes in, we lose leads, they dont defend him, and he turns it over a lot. It's not like we need cole out there. We dont need him. He is a liability. I look forward to seeing what he can do after a full summer of practicing with the heat staff and a full training camp. But in the playoffs we need veterans that wont make stupid rookie mistakes. Rio is much better than cole in that regard.

mrs rose
04-20-2012, 09:43 PM
The first 2 seasons for chalmers we werent contending for a ring

Last year rio had his ups and downs but he wasnt anywhere as awful as cole has been this season. When cole comes in, we lose leads, they dont defend him, and he turns it over a lot. It's not like we need cole out there. We dont need him. He is a liability. I look forward to seeing what he can do after a full summer of practicing with the heat staff and a full training camp. But in the playoffs we need veterans that wont make stupid rookie mistakes. Rio is much better than cole in that regard.

every year should be a year you should try to win, i get it those years we didnt have the "team" we have now. but again i see rio not even in the same convo with cole in terms of his ball control to me rio looks more like a two and has maybe one or two shots in his graps.. cole is more quicker with, and without the ball. and seems to have a better overall game in terms of being an natural 1.. now mario has gotten better than what he has been in past years, but i STILL see mistakes he has made and shouldnt make at this point in his career. but everyone has a right to think what they want. but im not giving up on cole yet:)

Wade>You
04-20-2012, 10:33 PM
every year should be a year you should try to win, i get it those years we didnt have the "team" we have now. but again i see rio not even in the same convo with cole in terms of his ball control to me rio looks more like a two and has maybe one or two shots in his graps.. cole is more quicker with, and without the ball. and seems to have a better overall game in terms of being an natural 1.. now mario has gotten better than what he has been in past years, but i STILL see mistakes he has made and shouldnt make at this point in his career. but everyone has a right to think what they want. but im not giving up on cole yet:)+1. Cole's intangibles will be missed if the Heat don't play him.

justinnum1
04-20-2012, 10:36 PM
intangibles like 30% shooting, 20% from 3, turnover machine? Is there something im missing that everyone else sees when he plays?

Next year hopefully he is better but right now we are trying to win a championship.

JNoel
04-20-2012, 10:38 PM
I still think we should sit cole for the playoffs, let him get a good experience, and then hopefully next year we have a cole who played like he did in the beginning of the season, he is still explosive and is one of the few future bright spots on this team

NoahH
04-21-2012, 02:56 PM
One bad game? When was the last time he had a good game?

No Cole hasn't played well since like the first month of the season lol. Every game since the all star break has been bad

beasted86
04-21-2012, 05:48 PM
I say play it as it goes.

Play him in the first round against NY. We can use his defense, and we have enough that we can win even with him playing bad against a weaker team like the Knicks. But if he does not play good, remove him from the rotation for the 2nd round onward.

If he surprises and turns his game up for the playoffs, then that would be great... his speed and defense is needed, but I think it's highly unlikely he turns it up and starts playing good all of a sudden.

FreakaNashur
04-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Cole won't be seeing minutes but neither would harris. lol they'll be splittin 'em if any

justinnum1
04-21-2012, 06:15 PM
playoff rotations will be

rio
wade/miller
bron/battier
ud/anthony
bosh

and maybe someone else depending on foul trouble or situational

gotoHcarolina52
04-21-2012, 10:04 PM
**** Norris Cole and **** this thread

justinnum1
04-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Anyone wanting norris cole to see minutes in the playoffs is an idiot.

JNoel
04-21-2012, 10:53 PM
This question is a definite no after tonight's performance

flashwade03
04-24-2012, 11:35 AM

im sorry ,but cole has been awful ..and btw i see it ..it is baseless right now to compare his rookie season to mario ..were trying to win now ..or our team will be a bust !..our time is running thin to just let cole develop into a contributor ..wade is getting old .. no disrespect though ..i love all heat fans here ;)

HuRRiCaNeS324
04-24-2012, 12:16 PM
I think its important for Cole to get experience in the playoffs. Even if its a little bit. It would be stupid for him to get 0 minutes throughout the entire run.

LRizzle
04-24-2012, 12:52 PM
I can't wait for Cole to play decent defense in the playoffs and then steal the ball and drive straight at two defenders and get horribly blocked... Only time Cole should play is if we're somehow blowing someone out, or Chalmers gets hurt or really early foul trouble.

Ever since the Chicago game we lost a few weeks ago, when they played without Rose. We were up by like 11 pts, and then Cole came in and we went scoreless the entire 7 minutes he was on the court running the show and we went from like up 11 to down 8 or something crazy like that. I also blamed Spo for leaving us for 3-4 of those minutes without any of the Big 3 on the court but whatever.

Marlin234
04-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Hell to the **** no! Guy needs another year Of just practicing before he sees the floor. Next offseason we need to look into a center and a back up pg. I'm very confident in rio. Last years playoffs made him much more mature and confident next to the big 3.

gotoHcarolina52
04-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Norris Cole is one of the few point guards in the league capable of having a statistically worse postseason than Mike Bibby did last year, who logged the 11th worst PER in the history of the playoffs.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=Y&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=&qual=&c1stat=mp&c1comp=gt&c1val=180&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=per&order_by_asc=Y

mrs rose
04-28-2012, 09:37 AM
I say play it as it goes.

Play him in the first round against NY. We can use his defense, and we have enough that we can win even with him playing bad against a weaker team like the Knicks. But if he does not play good, remove him from the rotation for the 2nd round onward.

If he surprises and turns his game up for the playoffs, then that would be great... his speed and defense is needed, but I think it's highly unlikely he turns it up and starts playing good all of a sudden.

well said...

mrs rose
04-28-2012, 09:40 AM
I think its important for Cole to get experience in the playoffs. Even if its a little bit. It would be stupid for him to get 0 minutes throughout the entire run.

absolutely:clap:

MTL_123
04-28-2012, 11:44 AM
i would let him play. Put him on for like 1-2mins and run 3-4 plays for him if hes making his layups then yes he can play more but if hes doing stupid things like turnovers and fouling then hes seating on the bench for a long time. Even tho hes a rook hes still really good at getting to the rim its just that he keeps on missing his layup. if he can hit thos consistently then hes perfect for our bench.

justinnum1
04-29-2012, 10:24 AM
he came in and gave up a 3 to davis(was lost on D and left davis wide open) then threw that awful pass to bron that caused melo fast break foul.

Keep this scrub on the bench till garbage time please.

mrs rose
04-29-2012, 11:30 AM
he came in and gave up a 3 to davis(was lost on D and left davis wide open) then threw that awful pass to bron that caused melo fast break foul.

Keep this scrub on the bench till garbage time please.

COME ON..

Chalmers missed the tech free throw, overthrew the ball many times, stupid fouls and missed 3's as well.. and if i wasnt mistaken b davis made 3's on chalmers too hence who was guarding him when he made his early shots.. <--- i bring that up only because seems like you are just trying to find something on cole.. again chalmers isnt that better to be very honest with you.

beasted86
04-29-2012, 11:43 AM
COME ON..

Chalmers missed the tech free throw, overthrew the ball many times, stupid fouls and missed 3's as well.. and if i wasnt mistaken b davis made 3's on chalmers too hence who was guarding him when he made his early shots.. <--- i bring that up only because seems like you are just trying to find something on cole.. again chalmers isnt that better to be very honest with you.

Stop lying to yourself. Chalmers has been noticeably better than Cole all season long and also in this first game of the playoffs. I don't have to do any explaining, just look at the stats, look at who the coach trusts more than the other. There's really no discussion to be had there.

But I still maintain what I said earlier, we can afford to give him some minutes in this series and let him get playoff experience, and hopefully prove he has earned minutes in later rounds. But if he continues to play bad bench him for the 2nd round and beyond.

mrs rose
04-29-2012, 11:46 AM
i would expect a vet to out do a rookie, but to be honest he still makes mistakes as well.. what gets me is the chalmers fans who just bash cole i guess because they know what we all know.. cole is a true PG and the future of this team at that position, chalmers was never a pg he is more of a SG we just play him there at the 1.. because no way is he going to cut in d wades mins

kjoke
04-29-2012, 12:39 PM
i would expect a vet to out do a rookie, but to be honest he still makes mistakes as well.. what gets me is the chalmers fans who just bash cole i guess because they know what we all know.. cole is a true PG and the future of this team at that position, chalmers was never a pg he is more of a SG we just play him there at the 1.. because no way is he going to cut in d wades mins

Wow.

Cole right now is Toney Douglas right. Any you think Chalmers is a SG? How many times have you seen Cole pass the ball. I can count them on one hand

justinnum1
04-29-2012, 12:48 PM
lol

chalmers had 11pts 9ast 3stl cant ask for much more than that

And i bring up the 3 on cole because cole blew the defensive assignment, it wasnt like davis just shot over him, davis shot it wide open.

I agree playing cole in this series might not hurt us but he is still a liability and as the post season goes on our margin for error will get smaller

Basically keep him on the bench and we can probably get him some min in garbage time. I'm just tired of watching him come in and make mistake after mistake.

Mr. Baller
04-29-2012, 02:48 PM

Chalmers is more of a PG then Cole. Mario knows his role on this team something i feel Norris doesn't.

mrs rose
04-29-2012, 03:51 PM
clearly you guys wont see what is clearly there. A rookie who started out HOT whom some of you at the time was riding the "cole train" has your normal rookie growing pains.. vs a man who had one good season and everything after that was very medicore or barely not even to that mark. When chalmers dribbles the ball its like watching paint dry.. is only mid range shot is that ugly throw up floater he does.. and his 3 pt shooting is very streaky.. his turnover rate is very high in his career. and his defense is very overrated. again chalmers has improved this yr, and he has known to be lazy and quit ie m beasley, d wright, years for those who didnt become a fan before bron bron and co came along..

many heat fans have suffered to watch him grow, and this yr he still has been just above the medicore mark and worst after the all star break.. Cole trys to hard, vs mario whom is trying due to the fact when he was a FA not many wanted him.. and at the time when ur peers are mike bibby, shaun livingston, and most of the other guys arent even in the league ie RICKY DAVIS, AND SMUSH PARKER.. so he knew the job is his.

but i promise you once cole gets experience, and calms down with his game he will be indeed the starter.. His speed and handles with the ball is something we didnt have last season and once he matures, its over for chalmers. rather you want to admit it or not

justinnum1
04-29-2012, 03:54 PM
No one is saying he's a bust. He hit the wall about 2 months ago and has been hot garbage ever since.

He needs a full off season, summer league, and training camp, he will be good for us in the future, but we are trying to win a ring right now and its hard when we have to deal with rookie mistakes. Looking froward to seeing what he can do next year, bur right now his best role is being a cheerleader from the bench.

gotoHcarolina52
04-29-2012, 04:02 PM
No one is saying he's a bust. He hit the wall about 2 months ago and has been hot garbage ever since.

He needs a full off season, summer league, and training camp, he will be good for us in the future, but we are trying to win a ring right now and its hard when we have to deal with rookie mistakes. Looking froward to seeing what he can do next year, bur right now his best role is being a cheerleader from the bench.

Exactly right.

beasted86
04-29-2012, 06:08 PM
no one is saying he's a bust. He hit the wall about 2 months ago and has been hot garbage ever since.

+1

mrs rose
04-29-2012, 07:20 PM
The part i find interesting and i shouldn’t being everyone is entitled to their opinion is bashing this man. i could see if he wasn’t out there getting in trouble off the court, if he wasn’t putting in work to get better, or was trying at all and just being lazy. But he isn’t, and for those saying he needs to rot on the bench, shame on you because you then turn around and say oh he needs experience.

well how can he do that on the bench, thank GOD you guys don’t make the decisions for our team. it was good to see cole out there yesterday, i guess spo and the coaching staff didn’t read you guys comments... I like cole more and more because of this, not to mention a lot of you are the same ones that go back in forth on our stars as well that is to include lebron/wade..

flashwade03
04-30-2012, 12:40 AM
i don`t know ..i tought i was dreaming when i saw cole playing

justinnum1
04-30-2012, 12:55 AM
i don`t know ..i tought i was dreaming when i saw cole playing

More like a nightmare lol

FreakaNashur
04-30-2012, 11:42 AM
when norris cole comes in you can tell he is being "coached" on what to do. spo have a short leash on him on offense

HuRRiCaNeS324
04-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Justin, you're critiquing Cole waaay too much. I could point out Chalmer's mistakes throughout a game too. I agree i makes mistakes at a higher rate than Chalmers, but it just seems like its unbearable because of the amount of time he plays.

Cole HAS to get minutes. What if Chalmers is in massive foul trouble in a game in the Finals from start to finish? Cole is the only other true PG we have. Lebron and Wade can't be playing point the entire game because they will be setting people up instead of the other way around.

justinnum1
04-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Justin, you're critiquing Cole waaay too much. I could point out Chalmer's mistakes throughout a game too. I agree i makes mistakes at a higher rate than Chalmers, but it just seems like its unbearable because of the amount of time he plays.

Cole HAS to get minutes. What if Chalmers is in massive foul trouble in a game in the Finals from start to finish? Cole is the only other true PG we have. Lebron and Wade can't be playing point the entire game because they will be setting people up instead of the other way around.

Cole on the floor puts us in a losing position. We just cant afford his mistakes. To much of a liability. I wish he was better than he is.

I'm just happy spo is going more with a no pg unit.

rio had 11pts and 9ast and 3stl. Might have had some mistakes but i love the way he played, attacking the rim, setting guys up. Cole brings one thing and thats him attacking the rim and just looking for his own shot which he hardly makes. He makes terrible passes and often turns it over.

cole was garbage until garbage time lol. He will be fine next year.

mrs rose
04-30-2012, 08:29 PM

YES!!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

mrs rose
04-30-2012, 08:31 PM
More like a nightmare lol

just like when chalmers dribbles the ball, love to see LEBRON yelling at chalmers

mrs rose
04-30-2012, 08:42 PM
there is that ugly turnover, i mean shot from chalmers lol

justinnum1
04-30-2012, 09:53 PM
there is that ugly turnover, i mean shot from chalmers lol

lol, 13pts 6ast...;)