PDA

View Full Version : Is Jordan The Worst Owner In The League?

JasonJohnHorn
04-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Its not too often that a basketball related article gets on the home page of MSN. Glen Rice got on early this year, though he was only named in the head line as a "black" basketball player when rumours of an affair with former Vice Presidential Candidate Sarah Palin came up, and Linsanity managed to stir up a sensation with his great play. But this time it isn't a feel good story or gossip collum fodder that made it to the home page of MSN, it Michael Jordan's underwhelming performance as an owner that is making news:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/michael-jordan-putting-up-bricks-as-an-owner-042012

The Bobcats are on pace to finish the season as the worst team in NBA history, and Jordan is seen as the man responcible. He traded away assests like Gerald Wallace and Tynson Chandler for next to nothing, and doesn't have anything resembling an All-Star on his squad. Now his only hope for a bright future is landing the number one pick in the draft, which has won before, only to wasted it on Kwambe Brown.

This assessment of Jordan's executive skills is especially ironic since he was so critical of the Wizards owner when he was playing in Washington. I believe the quote was something along the lines of: "If you can't make money running a basketball team, sell the team." And I'm paraphrasing, but with only one first round pick in this year's draft, no free agent prospects lined up and a very good chance that Charlotte won't get the number one overall pick, all coupled with the fact that this team is losing money, the question is: Is Michael Jordan the worst owner in the league?

Chronz
04-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Would Jordan the player have won a title with Jordan as his GM?

JasonJohnHorn
04-20-2012, 04:04 PM

Jordan the player would say players win championships, not the front office, but I think he would find that with himself as an owner, he would be surrounded with players like Adam Morrison, Kwambe Brown and Joe Wolf. So, no, I don't think Jordan the player could overcome the setbacks that Jordan the owner would put on his lap and would bolt for free agency the first chance he got, if not demanding a trade before that day came. Of course, Jordan the owner would likely trade away Jordan the player for an expiring contract and future considerations.... lol.

Good question.

NYKnicks4511
04-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Too small of a sample size. He really had no experience. The Bobcats will make the playoffs within the next couple of years with a few good moves.

Hawkeye15
04-20-2012, 04:13 PM

no because he would have traded himself away for picks...

MJ is a great example of why we shouldn't put that much faith in the personal evaluations of players from the all time greats. Just because Jordan, Bird, or some other great says player A is better than player B doesn't mean it's true.

knicks4life33
04-20-2012, 04:18 PM
hes really bad

Chronz
04-20-2012, 04:19 PM
He was smart enough to hire Cho, tanking is the best thing MJ has done in awhile.

beasted86
04-20-2012, 04:20 PM
I don't know.... Sterling is still pretty bad.

Have to see what he does with his draft and head coach spots over the summer.

ThunderousDemon
04-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Donald Sterling has my Vote

Hawkeye15
04-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Sarver is making a move I will say to join the "elite" crappy owners.

JLynn943
04-20-2012, 04:26 PM
He's horrible, but as a Kings fan I wouldn't say he's the worst...

Wade>You
04-20-2012, 04:26 PM
There are worse. Ask a Clippers' or Warriors' fan.

justinnum1
04-20-2012, 04:29 PM
sterling

The goods
04-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Yeah he's pretty bad,bad trades,drafting,and signing players.

thekmp211
04-20-2012, 04:32 PM

no it would open a black hole and implode the universe.

he's easily the worst. kinda weird cause he's so competitive, i guess just at other things besides his multi hundred million dollar investment.

edit: ok maloofs and sterling are in the conversation as well.

Da Knicks
04-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Possibly the worst ever...

AceMan
04-20-2012, 04:34 PM
It's sad just how many truly terrible owners there are in the NBA. Sterling, Jordan, Dolan, Sarver, every Warriors owner ever, it's pathetic. There are more crappy owners in the NBA than all other sports combined.

clydebino
04-20-2012, 04:42 PM
I'm sure the Maloofs get this award. They play with my heart to much

Wade>You
04-20-2012, 04:49 PM
It's sad just how many truly terrible owners there are in the NBA. Sterling, Jordan, Dolan, Sarver, every Warriors owner ever, it's pathetic. There are more crappy owners in the NBA than all other sports combined.I'm glad more people are starting to see this. These bad owners are the ones locking out the players and ruining bball for the fans. Eff em.

JordansBulls
04-20-2012, 04:52 PM
You saw what happened when they made the playoffs? There best player was Gerald Wallace. You aren't going to improve without high draft picks unless you got a superstar on the team and Wallace was not that, not even close. So trading him and Felton was good especially for the money they were making as well as trading Chandler. Better to start over than pay near the luxury tax for a horrible team.

PurpleJesus
04-20-2012, 04:56 PM
He isnt the GM is he? Has he made threats of moving the team?

mdm692
04-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Sarver is making a move I will say to join the "elite" crappy owners.

yup. The suns fan base as a whole, while we do hate him, have given him one last chance which is 2012 offseason if he cantake anything out of the nearly 30 million in cash and fails to resign nash its safe to say he will get run out of town.

homestarunner93
04-20-2012, 05:07 PM
You saw what happened when they made the playoffs? There best player was Gerald Wallace. You aren't going to improve without high draft picks unless you got a superstar on the team and Wallace was not that, not even close. So trading him and Felton was good especially for the money they were making as well as trading Chandler. Better to start over than pay near the luxury tax for a horrible team.

no mj sux just cuz he drafted kwame brown

CoffeeJanitor
04-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Sterling

Sarver

STERLING

Cal827
04-20-2012, 05:52 PM
There are worse. Ask a Clippers' or Warriors' fan.

This and welcome back :p

I'm sorry, but when there is an owner that takes critical advice from a prostitute... you know who's the worst. Jordan Sucks, but Sterling Sucks more.

JWO35
04-20-2012, 06:01 PM
One of the worst, the guy who owns the Clippers is pretty bad too....

ManRam
04-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Someone wanna list all the moves he's made that look like good ones?

Can't think of a whole lot.

The sample size is still way too small, however.

C-ross12
04-20-2012, 06:08 PM
He could easily turn it around IF he gets the 1 pick.

homestarunner93
04-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Someone wanna list all the moves he's made that look like good ones?

Can't think of a whole lot.

The sample size is still way too small, however.

THERE IS YOUR ISSUE RIGHT THERE.

Michael Jordan is not the GM. He has a say, but Rich Cho is not a yes man. If he was expected to be a yes man, he would not have come to Charlotte. People don't blame the moves of other teams all on the owner, so why is Michael Jordan any different?

PleaseBeNice
04-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Sterling and the Maloofs are worse

ManRam
04-20-2012, 06:32 PM
THERE IS YOUR ISSUE RIGHT THERE.

Michael Jordan is not the GM. He has a say, but Rich Cho is not a yes man. If he was expected to be a yes man, he would not have come to Charlotte. People don't blame the moves of other teams all on the owner, so why is Michael Jordan any different?

Fair enough.

He is very hands on though, is he not? He probably gets unfair blame, I won't lie. I probably fall victim to it too. He is the head of basketball operations, and while Cho may be no "yes man", it's undeniable that Jordan is pretty active and vocal in terms of personnel operations.

Sssmush
04-20-2012, 07:23 PM
he's just a guy, that made too much money in the game as a player, so they tricked him into buying into the "big game" and got him to reinvest all of his money in an NBA team, which happens to be the worst team in NBA history and is losing money. Best, worst... it's possible he may be the worst. I don't know him but I can imagine him being the least qualified, in terms of experience with owning or running large companies, and during the lockout he seemed to alienate the players, all of them in the league, both individually and collectively. So, he may be in the running for the worst owner in the league, depending on how you're grading them. He probably deserves at least a mention because of how the Bobcats are playing. They're so bad they don't even need to tank, although Im sure they would, but they really have no choice at the moment

Sssmush
04-20-2012, 07:35 PM
sterling

Sterling can't be the worst. Sterling is actually making money off his franchise, and has done so every year, even as the Clippers constantly increase in value.

The Clippers are a fantastic investment for him. They've probably paid for themselves 3 times over for him by now, at least. At least.

No... for the worst owner you have to start with the ones who bought horrible franchises at hugely inflated 2004-2008 prices, and are leveraged to the hilt with crappy bank financing, with little or no cash reserves, and who's teams are hemmoraging money.

Then, you take one of THOSE guys, and if he's blowing $50M a pop on bad free agent signings and meanwhile setting records for worst record/loss/offense/defense/etc as well as falling off the map in terms of public interest or public support, then they might be in the running.

I'd say there are at least 5 or 6 of them who definitely merit consideration.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-20-2012, 07:35 PM
First off he's not the GM. Second this team doing this horrible rather than being a fringe playoff team like they were a couple years back is so much better because they'd be stuck in mediocrity for such a long time. And finally, the sample size is too small.

theheatles
04-20-2012, 07:44 PM
I would say Donald Sterling but the clippers have been 1 of the most lucrative franchises in the league for a good while now and are top 5 most valuable so yeah, sure, Jordan is the worst, he sucks balls, his team is terrible and they were supposedly 1 of the teams struggling to turn a profit so they are sucking dicks from all angles

homestarunner93
04-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Fair enough.

He is very hands on though, is he not? He probably gets unfair blame, I won't lie. I probably fall victim to it too. He is the head of basketball operations, and while Cho may be no "yes man", it's undeniable that Jordan is pretty active and vocal in terms of personnel operations.

He's probably more hands-on than most owners, but make no mistake, Rich Cho has taken quite a bit of power since he came on. I think Rod Higgins was more or less a yes man. I doubt he made a ton of moves on his own, but moving up for Bismack Biyombo was vintage Cho. I can tell you that much.

LASportsFan1996
04-21-2012, 12:24 AM
No, There Are Worse. His Team Is Just Pathetic. That Guy, Britney Griner, Would School Them By Himself.

Iron24th
04-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Jordan is as bad as a GM as good he was as a player

sunsfan88
04-21-2012, 06:46 PM
He isn't the worst owner. Look at Pat Riley!

kingsdelez24
04-21-2012, 09:38 PM
See the maloof family

Rndy
04-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Jordan is doing exactly what he should do throwing the season. The team the Bobcats had wasn't good but wasn't bad enough to get a top 3 pick. Now he's doing exactly what he needs to do. Now they just need to get someone in there that won't be Jordans yes man. They need to have good scouts that will tell Jordan how it is.