PDA

View Full Version : Hutchison will get the call

North Yorker
04-19-2012, 10:56 PM
Barry Davis ‏ @SNBarryDavis

Retweet
Favorite
Open

Just got word on good authority that it will in fact be Drew Huchison getting the callup by the #bluejays. #jays

https://twitter.com/#!/SNBarryDavis
Nice! Looking forward to see how he does.

Toxeryll
04-19-2012, 10:59 PM
is he on the 40 man?

Blahoo12
04-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Gnarly

henderson56
04-19-2012, 11:02 PM
So jacked, im saying that he will stay up here the rest of the year!!

Krylian
04-19-2012, 11:12 PM
#teamhutch

Sanyo
04-19-2012, 11:18 PM
If Hutch does well, what happens to McGowan then? $2 mil to rehab the whole year?

Toxeryll
04-19-2012, 11:19 PM
i have a feeling he will get lit up in his debut

bomber0104
04-19-2012, 11:19 PM
if hope he does well but its not gonna matter with this crappy offense and manager we got

2009mvp
04-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Really weird that Jonah Keri broke this as opposed to any of the beat guys. Clearly this didn't come from the team, wonder how AA feels about that considering it wasn't more than a few hours ago he was publicly insisting there was no decision made. Oh well, let's see what the kid's got.

Toxeryll
04-19-2012, 11:20 PM
If Hutch does well, what happens to McGowan then? $2 mil to rehab the whole year?

then you send down drabek

Sanyo
04-19-2012, 11:22 PM
then you send down drabek

no way drabek's has arguably been their best pitcher so far...let's see how he does tomorrow, but I think you have to keep him up for good unless he reverts back to his old ways...

craigerlee
04-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Really weird that Jonah Keri broke this as opposed to any of the beat guys. Clearly this didn't come from the team, wonder how AA feels about that considering it wasn't more than a few hours ago he was publicly insisting there was no decision made. Oh well, let's see what the kid's got.

Guessing he told Hutch first and Hutch told his agent. Said Keri's source was ACES.

Krylian
04-19-2012, 11:28 PM

Good problem to have. My guess is someone will either get hurt, or struggle, at which point McGowan steps in.

......or......AA moves someone and tries to plug a hole elsewhere (I.e. Lind).

Sanyo
04-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Good problem to have. My guess is someone will either get hurt, or struggle, at which point McGowan steps in.

......or......AA moves someone and tries to plug a hole elsewhere (I.e. Lind).

I like Lind, he's just not a 4 hitter. Im guessing McGowan is going to start atleast one or two games in the minors as well but at 29, almost 30 I dont know how much more they can squeeze out of this guy, he's just too big a liability for a team looking to make a post-season push soon.

aman_13
04-19-2012, 11:48 PM
I'm going to make myself look bad by asking this question because i know he has been highly talked about and is one of our top pitching prospects, but what is his stuff like? How hard does he throw?

Rogi10
04-19-2012, 11:54 PM
I'm going to make myself look bad by asking this question because i know he has been highly talked about and is one of our top pitching prospects, but what is his stuff like? How hard does he throw?

He's a control guy # 2- 3 (more 3) potential. Think he's 90-93. Not an elite arm, think Helickson.

Sanyo
04-19-2012, 11:56 PM
Hutchison is a fiance guy who's going to be successful outsmarting players. Certainly a possible trade bait for a big bat, I dont doubt for a second AA may pull the trigger to do it unless Hutch is pitching like Tim Lincecum to start his career..

aman_13
04-20-2012, 12:03 AM
He's a control guy # 2- 3 (more 3) potential. Think he's 90-93. Not an elite arm, think Helickson.

Oh okay. Well i hope he does well and finds a spot in the rotation because if Morrow, Alvarez and Drabek become the pitchers we all hope they can be, we have a very scary rotation. Time will tell i guess.

Toxeryll
04-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Hutchison is a fiance guy who's going to be successful outsmarting players. Certainly a possible trade bait for a big bat, I dont doubt for a second AA may pull the trigger to do it unless Hutch is pitching like Tim Lincecum to start his career..

what?

Lavy16
04-20-2012, 12:06 AM
what?

I think he meant finess...lol

aman_13
04-20-2012, 12:09 AM
Yeah he most likely meant finesse.

JermanJaysFan
04-20-2012, 12:09 AM

If he does, all the more likely he gets traded :p

nithanyo
04-20-2012, 12:16 AM
i hope he keeps the 69 jersey number

Sanyo
04-20-2012, 12:27 AM
what?

oops i meant finesse :)

adid727
04-20-2012, 02:22 AM
i hope he keeps the 69 jersey number

as long as he puts the team in a WINNING POSITION, i don't care about his number.

BBB
04-20-2012, 08:39 AM
I'm excited to see this kid pitch.

AA09-?
04-20-2012, 09:31 AM
if hope he does well but its not gonna matter with this crappy offense and manager we got

Stop. Just stop.

AA09-?
04-20-2012, 09:33 AM

Buck Blunder...:D

masTOR_shake1
04-20-2012, 09:49 AM
http://www.operatorchan.org/k/src/133357531190.jpg

Luca68
04-20-2012, 10:50 AM
he looked good in spring training, lets hope he can keep it up

Jamiecballer
04-20-2012, 11:35 AM
what?

I think he meant finess...lol

oops i meant finesse :)

i thought you meant he was really committed :rolleyes:

KaiserSose
04-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Are you guys really talking about McGowan again? He hasn't pitched successfully in the big leagues in like 3 years! He should be sent to AAA to make sure his porcelain body can hold up before you try and destroy or trade Drabek!

craigerlee
04-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Are you guys really talking about McGowan again? He hasn't pitched successfully in the big leagues in like 3 years! He should be sent to AAA to make sure his porcelain body can hold up before you try and destroy or trade Drabek!

How can they send him to AAA when he has no options left? He's only allowed so many rehab starts.

FLeays
04-20-2012, 12:47 PM

He's probably a poor mans Shawn Marcum, who incidently is a poor mans Greg Maddux :confused:

FLeays
04-20-2012, 12:50 PM

I think McGowan's best case scenario would be the role Al Leiter played while he was in Toronto...a dependable long relief guy, although management already stated it'll be hard to pitch McGowan on consecutive days. There is no way he's going to be the next Chris Carpenter.

North Yorker
04-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Goldstein's take:

The situation: With the Blue Jays needing a fifth starter, they surprisingly decided to tab the reasonable yet least experienced candidate for the job in Hutchison, a 21-year-old right-hander who has made just six career starts above Class A.

Background: While Hutchison was selected in the 15th round (by the Blue Jays) out of a Florida high school in 2009, he was seen as significantly more talented than that round suggests. Many teams saw him as too expensive or too strongly committed to college, but the Blue Jays deserve credit for properly gauging his signability; they took him late and inked him to a $400,000 bonus, which is more commensurate with a third-round selection.

Hutchison pitched well in his 2010 pro debut, but he had his true breakout campaign last year. After spending the first half of the year at Low-A Lansing, where he had a 2.64 ERA and 10.5 strikeouts per nine innings, he didn't skip a beat after a midseason promotion to High-A Dunedin, where he had a 2.74 ERA and 66 strikeouts in 62 1/3 innings. He finished the season with a trio of impressive starts at Double-A New Hampshire. Returning to the Eastern League to begin the 2012 season, Hutchison has a 2.16 ERA in three starts for the Fisher Cats.

What he can do: Hutchison has good stuff, but what makes him stand out is his ability to locate his pitches. His fastball is just a tick above-average in terms of velocity, sitting in the low 90s, but it plays up thanks to excellent movement and his ability to work all four quadrants of the strike zone with it. He pitches off his fastball to get ahead in the count, which sets up a decent slider and a very good changeup that is his put-away offering.

Immediate big league future: While Hutchison is inexperienced, the maturity of his game should allow him to battle big league hitters. Much of his success will depend on his changeup, which is a "feel" pitch. It could be difficult for him to harness the off-speed pitch if the excitement of the situation gets to him. Although he generally trusts his stuff, he has a tendency to get too cute at times outside the strike zone, and big league hitters will lay off many pitches that Double-A hitters will commit to.

Long-term: Hutchison has a good chance to stick as Toronto's No. 5 starter in 2012, and he profiles as a middle-of-the-rotation starter in the prime of his career. He has the ability to put up solid ERA and strikeout numbers and an above-average WHIP thanks to his ability to avoid handing out free passes.

BlueJayFanDan
04-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Halladay 2.0. Lets do this! I <3 Hutch!

Toxeryll
04-21-2012, 12:46 AM
he'll throw a no-hitter

Farsight
04-21-2012, 12:52 AM
He's probably a poor mans Shawn Marcum, who incidently is a poor mans Greg Maddux :confused: I like Shaun Marcum a lot, and its really a compliment to be called a pitcher who can replicate what Marcum has done. However, there similarities are really only because of there great command and K/BB. However, Marcum has to solely rely on his command, as his fast ball sits usually 86-90, where Hutchison sits in the low 90's (probably will add more velocity as he gets older). Also Marcum does not get many ground ball outs, where as im not sure about Hutchison as i dont see it listed anywhere. Also i would argue that Hutchison has a lot more potential

FLeays
04-21-2012, 01:31 AM
I like Shaun Marcum a lot, and its really a compliment to be called a pitcher who can replicate what Marcum has done. However, there similarities are really only because of there great command and K/BB. However, Marcum has to solely rely on his command, as his fast ball sits usually 86-90, where Hutchison sits in the low 90's (probably will add more velocity as he gets older). Also Marcum does not get many ground ball outs, where as im not sure about Hutchison as i dont see it listed anywhere. Also i would argue that Hutchison has a lot more potential

Yep. Plus Marcum also has one of the best changeup pitches in the league. Hutch may also produce low batting average like Marcum as well. I'm not so sure Hutch has more potential though, just a personal opinion. Guys on the farm who I think have more potential than Marcum are guys like Nicolino, Alvarez, maybe Wojo, possibly Norris, and the beastly Syndergaard.

Sanyo
04-21-2012, 02:04 AM
Jays have so much pitching in the minors its almost illegal as to the talent they have.

But its the guys like Syndergaard, Osuna, Nicolino, Cardona, Sanchez and Norris who have ace potential -- Nicolino maybe 2 or 3 but having 6 pitchers who could potentially be the ace of this team is quite ridiculous and maybe only matched by Arizona.

Lavy16
04-21-2012, 02:31 AM
Jays have so much pitching in the minors its almost illegal as to the talent they have.

But its the guys like Syndergaard, Osuna, Nicolino, Cardona, Sanchez and Norris who have ace potential -- Nicolino maybe 2 or 3 but having 6 pitchers who could potentially be the ace of this team is quite ridiculous and maybe only matched by Arizona.

The future looks really bright for the Jays...I wonder after this draft and signing period if they might consider a package to get a bat to protect Bautista properly. I bet AA is agressive with pitches again and hopefully he can sign some of the top picks.

Halladay
04-21-2012, 05:43 AM
I like Shaun Marcum a lot, and its really a compliment to be called a pitcher who can replicate what Marcum has done. However, there similarities are really only because of there great command and K/BB. However, Marcum has to solely rely on his command, as his fast ball sits usually 86-90, where Hutchison sits in the low 90's (probably will add more velocity as he gets older). Also Marcum does not get many ground ball outs, where as im not sure about Hutchison as i dont see it listed anywhere. Also i would argue that Hutchison has a lot more potential

I haven't looked at Hutchinsons stats in a while but I'd be pretty damn happy if he's on Marcums level meanwhile, more. Marcum has everything you want in a number two. Good k/bb, lots of IP, good ERA, an arm that won't fall off, pinpoint control etc...I miss the guy. I loved the Lawrie for Marcum trade but with Marcum in this rotation right now, we are much closer to the playoffs. Romero,Morrow,Marcum,Alvarez...pretty nasty. There would be a huge hole at third but we all know how crucial pitching is in this division.

JaysFan87
04-21-2012, 10:21 AM
I haven't looked at Hutchinsons stats in a while but I'd be pretty damn happy if he's on Marcums level meanwhile, more. Marcum has everything you want in a number two. Good k/bb, lots of IP, good ERA, an arm that won't fall off, pinpoint control etc...I miss the guy. I loved the Lawrie for Marcum trade but with Marcum in this rotation right now, we are much closer to the playoffs. Romero,Morrow,Marcum,Alvarez...pretty nasty. There would be a huge hole at third but we all know how crucial pitching is in this division.

So is hitting. Actually arguable hitting is more important than the pitching aspect if you ask me. Boston and New York finished in the top 3 in runs scored in the AL the past 5 years except for one year. Yes pitching is going to help but significantly outscoring the opposition is what has made the yankees and red soxs the force they are.

Farsight
04-21-2012, 12:33 PM
I like Marcum as much as the next guy, as he is very good at changing speeds while pitching, which made his so effective. I am happy that he is compared to Marcum, however, Hutchison is only 21 years of age and has a lot more room to fill out. Hes throwing in the low to mid 90's with his fast ball (with amazing control), while Marcum is throwing his fastball at 87MPH. Marcum is relying a lot more on deception than Hutchison is. If we had to say upside wise, i would have to take Hutchison, but Marcum is an established middle of the rotation pitcher so

Sanyo
04-21-2012, 01:55 PM
they should do a 30 minute hype video of drew hutchison before the game starts today -- one where you see his parents talk happily, his childhood photos, him in the gym working out (not with bomber) and sappy music trying to tingle us in the heart. hype him up!

Toxeryll
04-21-2012, 03:04 PM
they should do a 30 minute hype video of drew hutchison before the game starts today -- one where you see his parents talk happily, his childhood photos, him in the gym working out (not with bomber) and sappy music trying to tingle us in the heart. hype him up!

lol i bet they will. they'll have jamie campbell narrate it too

Tha Truth
04-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Very interested to see how this kid pitches tonight.

jaysforever
04-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Did u guys see the interview where he says one of his memorable moments watching baseball was the fight between Rodriguez and Varitek? LMAO...this kid's gonna love hockey!