PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS: Dwight Howard Out Rest Of The Season Due To Back Surgery

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 09:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7834605/agent-says-orlando-magic-dwight-howard-needs-back-surgery-done-rest-season

Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard will undergo back surgery Friday morning in Los Angeles to repair a herniated disk, effectively ending his season and eliminating him from participation in the 2012 Summer Olympics, Howard's agent said Thursday night.

Howard has been complaining of back problems since early March, but it wasn't until Los Angeles-based spine surgeon Dr. Robert Watkins examined him last week that the herniated disk was discovered.

Howard received an epidural to alleviate the pain at that time and the plan was that he'd rest and rehabilitate his back for 10-14 days before deciding if he could return to play or further treatment might be necessary.

But his back has worsened and both Watkins and the Magic's medical staff determined that surgery is necessary.

JordansBulls
04-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Damn. Orlando is screwed now. They might trade him to whomever now.

airronijordan
Wow Dwight is really young for back surgery. Hope he has a great recovery

justinnum1
wow

Avenged
04-19-2012, 09:39 PM
You can't fake surgery. Sucks for him and the Magic.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Whoever faces Orlando in the first round definitely is going to get a BYE into the 2nd round. Lucky Pacers.

akagiredsuns
04-19-2012, 09:40 PM
This is BS. He simply doesn't want to play for SVG. Herniated disc Dwight? I've lost all respect for this idiot. Nothing but a team cancer. ORL would be better off trading him away. This is just a copout. Now they find a "herniated disc"? Whatever it takes for DH12 to get out of playing. Wow is Indiana gonna have an easy sweep in the first round or what? The more rest the better for when they face Miami. Dwight Howard is officially the pariah of the NBA. :facepalm:

kdspurman
04-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Really unfortunate. I thought with him healthy if they hit their shots they had a chance to upset some teams.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 09:41 PM
You can't fake surgery. Sucks for him and the Magic.

Lakers fans wanted Dwight to come to Los Angeles by the trade deadline. Well, although late, he is coming to Los Angeles...to end his season. :facepalm:

ManRam
04-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Oh well...

:sigh:

Donuts365
04-19-2012, 09:42 PM
This is BS. He simply doesn't want to play for SVG. Herniated disc Dwight? I've lost all respect for this idiot. Nothing but a team cancer. ORL would be better off trading him away. This is just a copout. Now they find a "herniated disc"? Whatever it takes for DH12 to get out of playing. Wow is Indiana gonna have an easy sweep in the first round or what? The more rest the better for when they face Miami. Dwight Howard is officially the pariah of the NBA. :facepalm:
shut the **** up

netsgiantsyanks
04-19-2012, 09:43 PM

yeah, he would definitely lie about a herniated disk, SVG must be a really terrible guy.

:pity:

Avenged
04-19-2012, 09:43 PM

So he's just getting surgery on nothing just to not play?

JNA17
04-19-2012, 09:44 PM

So fakes his injury by going to surgery for it to make it look like he had an injury...

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/8/d/8de09-NotSureIfSerious.jpg

ManRam
04-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Yeah! Dwight hates Stan sooo much that he's going to get fake surgery just for the **** of it!

Baller1
04-19-2012, 09:45 PM
All the ******** he put Orlando and its fans through the past year must have been building up in his back.

Good luck with the recovery I guess.

DaLakerz Rulz
04-19-2012, 09:46 PM

Don't write about things you don't understand. You can't fake having a herniated disc and then just have a surgery randomly to avoid playing. Do you know how serious of an injury this is? If left untreated it could become worse, he could even damage his spinal cord....

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 09:47 PM
For those saying he is faking it, you are nothing but little children.

It says in the article the name of the surgeon. They wouldn't just falsely advertise a surgeon like that and jeopardize his medical reputation by linking it to a Dwight Howard conspiracy.

GoPacers33
04-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Whoever faces Orlando in the first round definitely is going to get a BYE into the 2nd round. Lucky Pacers.

:) Pacers

ManRam
04-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Yeah, if you think he's faking you...well...insults aren't allowed on PSD...

Really sucks. So healthy throughout his career...and these things are chronic things that build up over time. The guy takes a beating, it was only a matter of time. Hope he gets healthy. I hate him a lot of the time, but this sucks.

I enjoy watching this Dwight-less team play though. They aren't too good, but I love the hustle and passion they have been playing with. It's been a bit of a breath of fresh air almost.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 09:50 PM
:) Pacers

To be honest, just the way Indiana is playing to end the regular season, I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Orlando even with Dwight.

LAKERMANIA
04-19-2012, 09:53 PM
As a Laker fan, I find this quite ironic

DaLakerz Rulz
04-19-2012, 09:55 PM

As unfortunate as this is, that is true.

JNA17
04-19-2012, 09:57 PM

you should get your flame shield ready for the shitstorm your about to receive on that post...oh hell I'll lend you mine!

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm216/xShadowSephx/633801847724396865-FlameShield.jpg

5ass
04-19-2012, 09:57 PM
All the ******** he put Orlando and its fans through the past year must have been building up in his back.

Good luck with the recovery I guess.

Actually its from carrying the team on his back for the past years.

ManRam
04-19-2012, 09:59 PM

Definitely unexpected. Things like this build up over time...and develop chronically. Sounds like the worst thing he could have done was play through it as much as he did.

Oh well. His first injury really ever. :shrug: **** happens.

Shaolin718
04-19-2012, 09:59 PM
So with him out for the olympics. Will Andrew Bynum get the call up?

BALLER R
04-19-2012, 10:00 PM
ThunderousDemon
04-19-2012, 10:01 PM

:) Yes

LAKERMANIA
Definitely unexpected. Things like this build up over time...and develop chronically. Sounds like the worst thing he could have done was play through it as much as he did.

Oh well. His first injury really ever. :shrug: **** happens.

True, even with his attitude this season I still like Dwight over Bynum, I hope this injury doesnt slow him down or make him different, best of luck to him.

Avenged
you should get your flame shield ready for the shitstorm your about to receive on that post...oh hell I'll lend you mine!

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm216/xShadowSephx/633801847724396865-FlameShield.jpg

Lol. But he is right.

Still sucks though.. but this is something you definitely can't fake. Doesn't make him injury prone though, I don't remember the last time he had a serious injury.

JNA17

Two Lakers players starting USA? Am I dreaming?! :speechless:

OT: Dwight is out for the Olympics too?

Avenged
04-19-2012, 10:02 PM

I hope not.. Don't want him risking injury.

LAKERMANIA
04-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Damn forgot about that

DaLakerz Rulz
04-19-2012, 10:04 PM

Yea that would be the absolute worst decision. Bynum shouldn't risk anything, especially if its not NBA related.

Shaolin718
04-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Two Lakers players starting USA? Am I dreaming?! :speechless:

OT: Dwight is out for the Olympics too?

There saying he will be able to start full contact drills in 4 months.
If hes having surgery saturday i dont see any way he could play in the olympics

SportsAndrew25
04-19-2012, 10:07 PM
No matter what you think about Howard, this is a big loss for the Magic. They will totally be eaten in the playoffs.

blastmasta26
04-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Sucks that he needs surgery. Back injuries can be problematic, hopefully he recovers well.

SA5195
04-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Oh man that sucks alot for Orlando!

And people actually think he'd be faking a surgery?

LAKERMANIA
04-19-2012, 10:13 PM
What an awful season for Magic fans

justinnum1
04-19-2012, 10:14 PM
no dwight in the olympics

Teeboy1487
04-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Now I feel bad for him. Hopefully, he has a great recovery.

mrnore77
04-19-2012, 10:19 PM
I have been opposed to trading away a superstar, but back injuries are serious.

Think Larry johnson befoer back surgery, explosive, fast, powerful.

Larry johnson after the HERNIATED disk injury: a jump shooter and a shell of his former self.

We need to trade dwight now and get what we can.

Tmath
04-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Reports say Stan Van Gundy will also have surgery to remove knife from back.

JNA17
04-19-2012, 10:25 PM
I have been opposed to trading away a superstar, but back injuries are serious.

Think Larry johnson befoer back surgery, explosive, fast, powerful.

Larry johnson after the HERNIATED disk injury: a jump shooter and a shell of his former self.

We need to trade dwight now and get what we can.

I mentioned this in the other thread as well.

Dwight could very well end up never being the same again and end up Grant Hill/Tracy McGrady/Penny Hardaway status.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 10:27 PM

Nice!

eibbor
04-19-2012, 10:29 PM
I really hate this for Magic fans. Hell, it's bad for all NBA fans really. By that I mean... If you beat the Lakers and Kobe didn't play... Who cares? (Or any team minus one of their stars) I hope that makes sense.

To me, come playoff time you want to be your best and beat the best.

I guess this kills the notion that he just didn't wanna play for SVG. Not that it makes it any better.

ManRam
04-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Probably the worst year as a Magic fan I've endured. We'd had some awful teams in the past, but this was just a whole different level of bad.

Luckily I still enjoy the lesser players. I've never been as in love with Dwight as most Magic fans...most of it was just tough love because I saw a lot of wasted potential, but I've always liked the role players a bit more. Jameer has been my favorite Magic player for a while now. Hedo kinda sucks now, but I remember telling my dad that I'd cry if he left when he did (I didn't cry, just in case you're wondering ;)). I love Redick and Anderson. I love the young guys (regardless of how bad they are).

I like cheering for this team without Dwight. I don't expect much, but I still love to see them play. So with that, not all is lost. I'm not actually too torn up over this. I've become numb towards Dwight Howard honestly...and didn't have huge expectations for this team since he went down anyways.

Oh well.

Eg714
04-19-2012, 10:35 PM
This really sucks for Dwight and the magic. As a laker fan I'm glad we didn't trade for him. We would of been super screwed. Imagine how bad of a season this would of turned out to be on top of everything else that has happened.

Rego247
04-19-2012, 10:45 PM

Win.

AI
04-19-2012, 10:48 PM

Knicks can still earn the 6th seed. Both teams have 4 games left but Orlando plays @Utah, @Denver, @Memphis and against Charlotte. Knicks play @Cleveland, @Atlanta, @Charlotte and against the Clippers at home.

I could definitely see the Knicks finishing 3-1/4-0 and the Magic going 1-3/0-4 without Dwight and Turkoglu.

jrm2054
04-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Man sorry Magic fans that sucks. he just don't wanna play for them i think at this point.

Bruno
04-19-2012, 10:49 PM
alfred bumsted.

...that's a bummer man...that's a bummer.

Donuts365
04-19-2012, 11:24 PM

Dwight could very well end up never being the same again and end up Grant Hill/Tracy McGrady/Penny Hardaway status.

hes going to the nets on draft night dont wishthat **** on him

ManRam
04-19-2012, 11:35 PM

Johnson is interesting, because he definitely wasn't the same player when he came back, for whatever reason.

I don't know. Herniated discs, from what I've experienced, aren't the end of the world. The fact that it's bad enough where he needs surgery is disconcerting, but today, it's not a career-threatening injury, nor is it something that you shouldn't expect him to recover 100% from.

He very well could never come back the same player, I just doubt it. Hill's problems were with ankles, and just a lot of bad luck...not too similar to this. T-Mac too. Hardaway's injuries were also knee/ankle and constant. There's no reason to expect constant injury. If the surgury works, and he comes back 100%, I'd assume he'd be as durable as he normally is.

I'm probably being an optimist, but I'm not going to start dreading for his career after one injury...especially something that sounds like it's 100% correctable.

Ezio
04-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Damn I feel sorry for the Magic and for whoever gets a rested Pacers team in the playoffs.

Punk
04-20-2012, 12:05 AM
I'm sure like Bosh, he'll use this as an excuse to demand a trade or leave Orlando. There's no way the Magic can win in the playoffs or even remain competitive.

The goods
04-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Wow that isn't good I thought he was faking that injury but the surgury proves he wasn't hope he gets better.

MrfadeawayJB
04-20-2012, 12:21 AM
dang that sucks. If he doesnt make a full recovery soon Bynum might surpass him as the best center in the league

PacersForLife
04-20-2012, 12:23 AM
To be honest, just the way Indiana is playing to end the regular season, I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Orlando even with Dwight.

No offense to Magic fans, I would expect it to be an exciting series with Dwight, but the way this team is playing they feel like they can take on anyone in the league. We are a 3rd seed for a reason lol. With Hill starting we are 7-0 and have the best record in April.

Also, even though Dwight has caused a lot of drama, I hope he has a successful surgery.

TrueFan420
04-20-2012, 12:23 AM
Damn the magic are done

PacersForLife
04-20-2012, 12:28 AM
I think the Pacers-Magic series could still be fun to watch. I mean Quentin Richardson has some beef with Danny Granger and Big Baby Davis has gotten under Tyler Hansbrough's skin this year. Can't wait for the playoffs.

KaganRS
04-20-2012, 12:48 AM
For those of you saying you can't fake surgery - that's not the point.

They might be faking that he is getting surgery ; there are ways to hide that. I mean who's going check in on his lie ? He has millions of dollars its an easy cover up.

This is really convenient at the moment isn't it ?

Sadds The Gr8
04-20-2012, 12:57 AM
faker?

Raph12
04-20-2012, 01:05 AM
Well it takes anywhere from 3-6 months to recover 100% from a Herniated Disc surgery and that's without the rehab... He should be good to go for next season.

How weird would it be if the Magic beat the Pacers anyway lol?

justinnum1
04-20-2012, 01:08 AM

They might be faking that he is getting surgery ; there are ways to hide that. I mean who's going check in on his lie ? He has millions of dollars its an easy cover up.

What do you think reporters jobs are? if someone can break a story like that it would be huge, im sure at least one reporter will dig, at least to fin where and what time the surgery is. And if he does miss the olympics...

JNA17
04-20-2012, 01:20 AM
hes going to the nets on draft night dont wishthat **** on him

Why would I wish that on anybody lol? I hope I'm dead wrong because no athlete deserves that.

SportsAndrew25
04-20-2012, 01:29 AM
Man sorry Magic fans that sucks. he just don't wanna play for them i think at this point.Who is the hot chick on the upper right corner of your sig?

*Superman*
04-20-2012, 01:43 AM
People that think this is fake are just ********. I don't care how much you hate him, but be honest with yourself.

Sssmush
04-20-2012, 01:52 AM
Haha maybe Dwight is the smart one after all.

Maybe the day before the tradeline he realized his back was jacked, so he opted in for next year at $22M or whatever.

Now he just gets surgery and can take the year (slooowwwwllllly) to recover, rest and rehab, while Orlando gradually begins ****ing themselves again as next year's tradeline approaches.

Sssmush
04-20-2012, 01:54 AM
ha ha Orlando tried to ruin Dwight and instead he is putting their franchise in timeout for a couple of years and ****ing all over them in every way imaginable.

Raps411
04-20-2012, 01:56 AM
I really can see the knicks taking that 6th seed and play the pacers instead of the Heat.

oak2455
04-20-2012, 02:04 AM
Man that sucks

KaganRS
04-20-2012, 02:13 AM
People that think this is fake are just ********. I don't care how much you hate him, but be honest with yourself.

says the guy with Dwight Howard sig pic.

sure bro.

5ass
04-20-2012, 02:15 AM

sure bro.

Haha man the hate has rendered you guys dellusional.

Iron24th
04-20-2012, 05:24 AM

Exactly,the pacers are now a lock to the 2nd round,having the chance to get beat by miami.

rapjuicer06
04-20-2012, 08:10 AM
So Dwight was out with his back injury and went to 2 or 3 different specialist to see whats up with it and it was said he will be out for a couple weeks...then the report comes out that he won't play for Stan again. And everyone believes the report from the "sources" that Dwight won't play for Stan. Even though "sources" through out the year have all been lies and completely wrong, you people still ****ing believe them. He is missing the Olympics...That right there should be enough to say "Ok, well he's not faking." But some people just don't get it, and would rather be idiotic than anything else

He115ing
04-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Must have been a "back breaking" decision for Howard HAHAHA! (slaps knee)

DerekRE_3
04-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Wow...so Dwight hates Stan Van Gundy so much that he would rather have an unnecessary back surgery than play for him.

*Superman*
04-20-2012, 05:08 PM

sure bro.

Name the last time a pro-athlete faked a SURGERY. Trust me, I went from completely hating the guy and was ready for him to leave the team, until he decided last minute he would stay. Just because he is on my team doesn't mean everything I say has to be completely homer.

mgsports
04-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Time to sign Frank Vasquez then he would be available for the Playoffs because like trying to get Shaq or R. Wallace out of Retirement wouldn't be available for Posteason.

Raph12
04-20-2012, 07:02 PM
His surgery is scheduled for 3pm in LA, which may be pushed back a bit due to scheduling... Our team doctor has said that the surgery should get him back to 100% and his back should be perfect after rehab. He can start rehab right after the surgery and start contact after about 4 months.

Good news for the league, last thing we need is another injury-riddled center, especially one of Dwight's caliber.

RaiderLakersA's
04-20-2012, 07:14 PM

You're joking, right???