PDA

View Full Version : Would Glenn Davis still be in the league....

Rain City
04-19-2012, 07:22 PM
If he didnt start his career with the Celtics....

He was a 2nd round talent with questionable intangibles.

I wanted to post this thread to get an idea if there is a benefit to playing with great leadership in a competitive, championship environment early on.

I for one think that playing for the celtics enabled him to develop his talent greater than he would have elsewhere, the fact that he got a ring (as more of a passenger albeit) gives him more value in the NBA.

I just see Davis as a guy, had he been drafted by Portland or Toronto or almost anywhere he would have flopped in a minimal role and be out the L by now.

Is this a bad assessment? It doesnt seem uncommon to think this way, but is there credibility behind it?, or is a player is who he is?

PurpleJesus
04-19-2012, 07:34 PM
not sure.

I do agree with you though, that being on Boston did wonders for his development. Same thing with Rondo.

xk4
04-19-2012, 07:41 PM
I think it goes both ways.

Some guys benefit from veteran experience. Others thrive on bad teams because they get playing time and a chance to carve their own path

5ass
04-19-2012, 07:44 PM

Some guys benefit from veteran experience. Others thrive on bad teams because they get playing time and a chance to carve their own path

Good answer

GiantsSwaGG
04-19-2012, 07:49 PM
He's fat so he's not gonna last!

blastmasta26
04-19-2012, 07:50 PM
I think his incredible athleticism and physique would've kept him in the league no matter what.

C_Mund
04-19-2012, 08:00 PM

100%
Like how the Raps picked up James Johnson from Chicago's D-league affiliate last year and given the time he's turned into an above-average defender/shot blocker from the wing and a capable scorer.
....it also depends on team depth and how they do with the coaching staff. Some players are able to thrive based on how a system is implemented while under a different coach they might not see the light of day.
In Davis' case I think he had to toughen up more so than be in a major market. He needed more of an edge cuz he's kind of a teddy bear

RC3
04-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Don't know why orlando gave big baby 7 million dollars a year.

Doesn't make sense trading brandon bass who is better than big baby.

tcav701
04-19-2012, 08:06 PM

Thats why the Celtics are the Celtics...

and why the Magic are the Magic.

lostmymind
04-19-2012, 08:21 PM
He definitely befitted from playing with all those veterans but I dont think he would be out of the league

xk4
04-19-2012, 08:33 PM

Davis has actually been solid since Dwight went out. He will always be undersized and therefor never starting C material, but I'm starting to change my tune thinking it was a lop-sided trade. They're both playing really well right now

Iodine
04-19-2012, 08:36 PM
What if he had gone to the pacers, yet he got held by TSA and never played a game?

Blazers#1Fan
04-19-2012, 08:39 PM
he'd be in the league either way unless he didnt ever get minutes

thekmp211
04-19-2012, 08:53 PM
i think he definitely developed a lot more in boston than he would have in most places, if that's what you mean. in his current form he's a decent nba player.

probably would not be the case had he been drafted by, say, washington.

mdm692
04-19-2012, 09:07 PM
not sure.

I do agree with you though, that being on Boston did wonders for his development. Same thing with Rondo.

see i dont know so much about rondo. If my memory serves me right rondo got drafted with a pick acquired from phx, so I wonder what playing alongside steve nash would have done for his career.