PDA

View Full Version : Cybulski: Jays GM wants a 5th starter and a big contract

phillipmike
04-19-2012, 05:08 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/jamescybulski/sta ... 6429620224

James Cybulski‏

@jamescybulski

If you missed it, Jays Alex Anthopoulos hints at trading for a 5th starter & adding a contract bigger than Bautista's http://bit.ly/Iqjrsg

3:20 PM - 19 Apr 12 via Twitter for BlackBerry®·

ILDD
04-19-2012, 05:11 PM
King Felix!

Kenny Powders
04-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Probably a first baseman

jon32
04-19-2012, 05:28 PM
5th starter as in back end starter or adding another starter to the 4 they have now.......like an ace i wonder. An ace and a big bat would be nice Alex.

dtmagnet
04-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Hope its not Ryan Howard

Jays Claw
04-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Hope its not Ryan Howard

Sweet Jesus... I'd honestly cry.

Toxeryll
04-19-2012, 05:47 PM
"[If] I had to pick one area [to improve], you'd love to get one more bat," said the GM. "That's not to take anything away from our offense - 'cause we were top five in the American League in offense last year and I think we're improved - but you just see how over six months having that great offense can really carry you ... One more middle of the order bat right now would be outstanding to just wear down the other teams."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/04/blue-jays-would-like-to-add-impact-bat.html

I saw this in MLBTR earlier. Maybe Morneau and a Twins pitcher?

DeRozan10
04-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Jays need a Bat that can hit for a high average and a high OBP

DeRozan10
04-19-2012, 05:53 PM
I would definately be down with Mr King Felix lol

ILDD
04-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Hope its not Ryan Howard

Luckily, AA isn't a moron so Ryan Howard isn't coming here.

Billy Butler? Alex Gordon?

PJ Awesome
04-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Good. Goooood

Converged
04-19-2012, 06:05 PM
I don't see a significant trade happening this early into the season...but it's AA so who knows.

bomber0104
04-19-2012, 06:19 PM
God please let it be Morneau.. I brought it up yesterday and the more i think about it, the more I like the idea

getting him away from Target will do him wonders

boilerguy2412
04-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Morneau would be sick on this team, he would be a perfect fit but i don't see the Twins dealing him for nothing.

question is, do we have the guys to get Morneau and Felix?

Jays Claw
04-19-2012, 06:30 PM
In all seriousness, we're not getting King Felix. However, Morneau sounds a lot more likely. Maybe a package of Lind, McGuire and a filler prospect can get it done?

Abdul Mutalib
04-19-2012, 06:30 PM
say word... i thought mayb he'd wait until trade deadline to make any big trades but AA seems to like getting things done early if he has any idea/plans.

town123
04-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Jays need a Bat that can hit for a high average and a high OBP

David Cooper

JMac4PM
04-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Was he talking about adding 2 seperate players or one pitcher with a high contract?

I dont think its a good idea adding a guy making more money than Bautista... the Jays should do what the Red Wings do and not pay anybody more than their captain... and we all know Bautista is the capitan.

Abdul Mutalib
04-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Was he talking about adding 2 seperate players or one pitcher with a high contract?

I dont think its a good idea adding a guy making more money than Bautista... the Jays should do what the Red Wings do and not pay anybody more than their captain... and we all know Bautista is the capitan.
it's been heard from insiders that AA's motto when it comes to trades is "big tings poppin, lil tings stoppin!"

JaysFan87
04-19-2012, 06:40 PM
David Cooper

:puke:

bomber0104
04-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Morneau would be sick on this team, he would be a perfect fit but i don't see the Twins dealing him for nothing.

question is, do we have the guys to get Morneau and Felix?

See i dont think the package for Morneau would be that big.. I mean the guy has done nothing for 2 years and is 1 incident away from missing the season.

Also, the Twins aren't going anywhere anytime soon since they got no talent. And Morneau's contract is gonna run out in a year and there is no way they offer him another deal with Mauer on the payroll

jaysnraptors44
04-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Josh Hamilton (tear)

bartron_44
04-19-2012, 07:00 PM
I say we just make a huge offer like I just posted in the trade thread for Pierzynski, Konerko and Peavy. We would have to pay them like 35M, but they would be the perfect fit for our teams needs. A power hitting first basemen who has a great OBP, a solid catcher who can hit for a decent average and is a free agent making room for our top prospect next year, and a quality SP who could post an ERA under 3.50 if he can stay healthy.

Abdul Mutalib
04-19-2012, 07:01 PM
didnt listen thru the entirety of the audio clip, did he actually confirm this or is it an interpretation of what he said?

fatkev78
04-19-2012, 07:10 PM
This is from yesterday.
Guys, listen to the interview....there's nothing new or exciting there.

Towelie
04-19-2012, 07:59 PM
See i dont think the package for Morneau would be that big.. I mean the guy has done nothing for 2 years and is 1 incident away from missing the season.

Also, the Twins aren't going anywhere anytime soon since they got no talent. And Morneau's contract is gonna run out in a year and there is no way they offer him another deal with Mauer on the payroll

Those are exactly the reasons why I wouldn't want Morneau. He's a injury nightmare and even says himself that another injury could lead him to retire. He's not a guy you build on at all. He's a guy that would get moved at the trade deadline for anything as long as he stays healthy. He's not a big contract either, but big enough to not warrant the risk IMO.

Sanyo
04-19-2012, 08:05 PM
I did say Billy Butler a few weeks ago who's a good consistent hitter with a good favourable contract. Having him DH is pretty much pointless for the Royals and they can unlock value for him. Royals need a pitcher and a catcher and we have plenty for the Royals.

statquo
04-19-2012, 08:59 PM
David Cooper

lol

masTOR_shake1
04-19-2012, 09:36 PM
morneau may never be an elite bat again, we already have a guy with "ability" to put up monster numbers in lind. morneau said he might retire if he has more setbacks.

ChongInc.
04-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Morneau is also Canadian. I'd give up a B prospect for him.

koreancabbage
04-19-2012, 09:53 PM
wow, now he goes after a big contract. its obvious at the end of the season, Bautista is just gonna get walked. whatever we have here, it aint fooling anyone anymore

mike_noodles
04-19-2012, 10:26 PM
I don't think many teams are gonna be looking to make that kind of splash this early, but that's just me. What teams would really think they are out of the running already? Maybe ChC, KC & Min.

But I'll take a kick at the can. What if they are looking at a LF and not a 1B? You could give up Snider and/or Thames in a package to get one if that's the way they want to go.

2009mvp
04-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Still trying to figure out how what I listened to there=Jays GM wants a big contract. All I heard was him saying that no, Bautista wouldn't get all pissy if someone were brought in with a higher salary (to which I say, duh).

Toxeryll
04-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Still trying to figure out how what I listened to there=Jays GM wants a big contract. All I heard was him saying that no, Bautista wouldn't get all pissy if someone were brought in with a higher salary (to which I say, duh).

lol ya, i just listened to the whole thing and that tweet is very misleading. he prob just wants attention

SkyDOME4Eva
04-19-2012, 10:47 PM
this post is a huge over reaction, did anyone actually listen to the interview?? it says nothing about signing anyone...

MrForever
04-20-2012, 07:34 AM
I'm slightly confused by this wording.

He wants a 5th starter and a big contract player, meaning two players, one of which has a large contract and the other being a 5th guy.

Alright.

I don't know if it's just me, but saying he wants to add a high salary player is just odd.

JermanJaysFan
04-20-2012, 08:27 AM
^^^He didn't say that. Listen to the interview. All he said is he COULD bring in a big contract without bugging Jose.

JermanJaysFan
04-20-2012, 08:47 AM
About 5th starter, AAs words were "There's an outside chance, it's very unlikely, but we want to make certain- there's some balls in the air, but there's an outside chance that we might make a trade or a waiver claim, things like that. Again, probably not, I don't see anything materializing...the last thing you want to do in this position is, y'know, tell a player today that they're going to make a start of get called up and then two days later call them back and say 'Look, I'm sorry, a trade came up, a claim came up that impacted things' "

About adding a bigger contract:

Cybulski: "Now, can you add a bigger contract to the roster, or does Jose need to be the top paid guy?"

AA: "Oh, absolutely. Jose would be the first guy to tell you, he wants wins. [He then talks about how Roy was the same way- they don't care, they got their security, after that all they care about is wins]. If we have the opportunity to bring a guy in that makes makes more than somebody else, if it's gonna make our team better, everybody in the team would be for it".

That is literally all he said on those topics. Cybulski majorly sensationalized it. AA didn't even say anything about trading for a bat.

AA09-?
04-20-2012, 09:12 AM
David Cooper

Is he looking for this player to be in Vegas? LOL

Ragin' Cajun
04-20-2012, 09:14 AM
If we are gonna go after a Canadian 1st baseman let his last name be Votto!

AA09-?
04-20-2012, 09:17 AM
If we are gonna go after a Canadian 1st baseman let his last name be Votto!

Have you been living under a rock for the last month? He just re-signed with the Reds for another 10 years on top of the 2 remaining on his current deal. No chance of that happening now.

Bob_at_york
04-20-2012, 09:24 AM
the perfect situation would be to convince Oswalt to sign with us.

Ragin' Cajun
04-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Have you been living under a rock for the last month? He just re-signed with the Reds for another 10 years on top of the 2 remaining on his current deal. No chance of that happening now.

It was wishful thinking..

Tmath
04-20-2012, 11:01 AM
the perfect situation would be to convince Oswalt to sign with us.

That is far from being a perfect situation.

Bob_at_york
04-20-2012, 11:21 AM
That is far from being a perfect situation.

Why not? We give up no prospects and allows us to trade for a bat that isn't JUST a big contract.

BATSKY87
04-20-2012, 11:31 AM
In all seriousness, we're not getting King Felix. However, Morneau sounds a lot more likely. Maybe a package of Lind, McGuire and a filler prospect can get it done?

Really you want to trade for a guy that has missed basically two seasons with concussions?

If there is one thing we know about concussions, its that players are never the same after them.

wamco
04-20-2012, 11:39 AM
14 m for this year and next for morneau? sounds awful.

Bob_at_york
04-20-2012, 11:49 AM

I hear you but I have believed for a few months now that if he bounced back a bit, that we would most likely go after him before the trade deadline. I am not saying he is the best option but it is definitely a "buy low" option. We need the twins to embrace the rebuild.

Eagles4Lyfe
04-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Oh ya keep rubbing it in our faces for not signing Fielder.

bomber0104
04-20-2012, 12:10 PM

sadly, i dont see another opportunity in the near future to get a top 1B. Not even close.

So if Morneau has another 2 good months with no problem, i think you take the chance. Another year at 14 million isn't gonna kill us

1hardcore
04-20-2012, 12:18 PM
i wouldn't take morneau at 14 mill.. especially if hasnt' played a full year since 08

1hardcore
04-20-2012, 12:23 PM
I say just go after a DH ... Billy Butler or Vlad

2009mvp
04-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Unless you're dumping Lind, now you're talking about ~20M for two wildcards at first. Probably not a great use of resources.

Bob_at_york
04-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Unless you're dumping Lind, now you're talking about ~20M for two wildcards at first. Probably not a great use of resources.

I figure they have to take on Lind for the deal to work.

mtf
04-20-2012, 01:23 PM
This thread title misled me. Before listening to the audio, I was under the impression Anthopoulos had said somewhere within it that he was actively looking for a 5th starter and a "big contract".

He basically just answered the questions he was asked as he usually does, saying that they are willing to accept contracts that exceed Bautista's and they make their decision on the 5th starter because they didn't want to give one of them the impression they would be called up and then potentially have a trade happen that made them go back on their word.

No real new information there.

ah nuts
04-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Mauer? his stock is on the low side for his contract and the twins aren't going anywhere.

Bob_at_york
04-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Mauer? his stock is on the low side for his contract and the twins aren't going anywhere.

hometown kid, can make the move to 1st, I think Morneau gets traded first.

2009mvp
04-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Mauer's contract is a disaster, especially since he can't catch very much anymore.

I just wanted to point out the absurdity of any GM saying "I want a big contract." Like, seriously? This Cybulski fool should stick to hockey and/or stop bull******** in his tweets to make his lame radio show sound more interesting than it is.

ah nuts
04-20-2012, 01:40 PM
hometown kid, can make the move to 1st, I think Morneau gets traded first.

yeah, wasn't sure. don't know a great about the twins.
how about hamiton?

LuckyLuke2
04-20-2012, 01:53 PM
yeah, wasn't sure. don't know a great about the twins.
how about hamiton?

Josh Hamilton????
No way in hell lmao he's leading the league in every hitting category .... Texas won't deal him.

WestBucsFan
04-20-2012, 02:06 PM
A couple names for when the time comes that AA is serious about a bat-

1. Carlos Lee 1b/DH- Lind would go back the other way and Lee's numbers would look a lot better in Rogers Centre than Minute Maid Park

2. Soriano LF- Cubs will be looking to get younger

3. Logan Morrison LF- young bat that would more than likely require Snider/Thames and a arm like Jenkins or McGuire

4. Matt Holliday LF- sooner or later the Cards will need a rebuild

5. Kendrys Morales 1B/DH- I'd try to send EE the other way this would help the Angels as they could try Edwin back at third and move Trumbo to DH full time.

6. Andre Either OF- Again the Dodgers will look to get younger as he is going to be a FA soon I believe. Wouldn't come cheap I could see a package of Snider/Thames/Rasmus and 2 of Jenkins/McGuire/Carreno/Asher/Egan Smith/Sean Nolin.

Some of these guys do nothing for me but they can be had. I would look at a Logan Morrison or Either personally as they woluld have immediate impact as well as impact moving forward.

Who would you hope to add?

mtf
04-20-2012, 02:16 PM
I just wanted to point out the absurdity of any GM saying "I want a big contract." Like, seriously?

I don't think Anthopoulos said that. When asked about big contracts, he said he is not restricted to having Bautista be the biggest contract. He said he was willing to sign players to bigger contracts, or acquire players who had bigger contracts if it was the right move.

This Cybulski fool should stick to hockey and/or stop bull******** in his tweets to make his lame radio show sound more interesting than it is.

The thread title by the OP didn't accurately portray Cybulski's tweet or interview. It was misleading. But on a side-note, all TSN analysts, reporters and hosts are complete jokes.

GNick
04-20-2012, 02:20 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/jamescybulski/sta ... 6429620224

Maybe a Carlos Lee and Wandy....where we won't have to give up much. Lee is better than Francisco Wandy would slide in nicely in the third slot

2009mvp
04-20-2012, 02:29 PM
I don't think Anthopoulos said that. When asked about big contracts, he said he is not restricted to having Bautista be the biggest contract. He said he was willing to sign players to bigger contracts, or acquire players who had bigger contracts if it was the right move.

Obviously. I should have specified "the idea of a GM saying he wanted a big contract."

The thread title by the OP didn't accurately portray Cybulski's tweet or interview. It was misleading. But on a side-note, all TSN analysts, reporters and hosts are complete jokes.

In no way did he 'hint at adding a contract bigger than Bautista's,' as Cybulski put it, he simply confirmed that Bautista wasn't what was standing in the way of them acquiring a contract like that. Whether he wrote it that way simply to fit it into 140 characters or he intentionally misled the public about the interview he's still full of ****.

bomber0104
04-20-2012, 03:00 PM
A couple names for when the time comes that AA is serious about a bat-

1. Carlos Lee 1b/DH- Lind would go back the other way and Lee's numbers would look a lot better in Rogers Centre than Minute Maid Park

2. Soriano LF- Cubs will be looking to get younger

3. Logan Morrison LF- young bat that would more than likely require Snider/Thames and a arm like Jenkins or McGuire

4. Matt Holliday LF- sooner or later the Cards will need a rebuild

5. Kendrys Morales 1B/DH- I'd try to send EE the other way this would help the Angels as they could try Edwin back at third and move Trumbo to DH full time.

6. Andre Either OF- Again the Dodgers will look to get younger as he is going to be a FA soon I believe. Wouldn't come cheap I could see a package of Snider/Thames/Rasmus and 2 of Jenkins/McGuire/Carreno/Asher/Egan Smith/Sean Nolin.

Some of these guys do nothing for me but they can be had. I would look at a Logan Morrison or Either personally as they woluld have immediate impact as well as impact moving forward.

Who would you hope to add?

Lee is in his last year of his contract if you buy him out for 3 million next year. He also has a limited no trade clause so who knows if he'll come here. He might get a career revival if he comes here but he really isn't any better than Lind.

No dice on Soriano. He is another all swing no walk type of guy and his defense in LF is atrocious

Morrison is a good young player and may need a change of scenery. Very similar to Snider so that might negate the point.

Cardinals are world series champs and are looking great to start the year so they are in no hurry to rebuild

Morales is a solid option. Better than Lind but not any better than EE

Ethier isn't going anywhere. Dodgers have all the money in the world now and are not gonna let their second best hitter leave

2009mvp
04-20-2012, 03:14 PM
I don't think LoMo needs a 'change of scenery' as much as he simply needs some healthy legs and to get the hell out of the OF. Would love to be able to plug him in at first here.

GNick
04-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Lee is in his last year of his contract if you buy him out for 3 million next year. He also has a limited no trade clause so who knows if he'll come here. He might get a career revival if he comes here but he really isn't any better than Lind.

No dice on Soriano. He is another all swing no walk type of guy and his defense in LF is atrocious

Morrison is a good young player and may need a change of scenery. Very similar to Snider so that might negate the point.

Cardinals are world series champs and are looking great to start the year so they are in no hurry to rebuild

Morales is a solid option. Better than Lind but not any better than EE

Ethier isn't going anywhere. Dodgers have all the money in the world now and are not gonna let their second best hitter leave

Scratch Lee then...for that kind of money he is not enough of an upgrade.

wamco
04-20-2012, 04:22 PM
I hear you but I have believed for a few months now that if he bounced back a bit, that we would most likely go after him before the trade deadline. I am not saying he is the best option but it is definitely a "buy low" option. We need the twins to embrace the rebuild.

or just sign derek lee and avoid all the risk

the_jon
04-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Good. Goooood
http://www.gifsoup.com/view/299847/evil-cockroach.html

GNick
04-22-2012, 07:21 AM
Justin Morneau maybe? If AA will spend the money? Twins may be anxious to get away from his contract, trade him for Lind.

Nica
04-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Carlos Lee has already said he is retiring after this year. I think he wants to get seriously big(ger).
It makes little sense to trade assets away for a 5th starter. At that quality level there are still a few FA drifting around or let some kids get their feet wet.
If you get a fringe starter tossed in as a part of bigger package to land an impact bat then that would make more sense.
I'm curious as to what an " impact bat" means to AA?

ah nuts
04-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Josh Hamilton????
No way in hell lmao he's leading the league in every hitting category .... Texas won't deal him.

well, over the winter it was written that this could be his last year with texas due to his off field issues.

but yeah, he's not getting traded now with his start.

Sanyo
04-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Its going to be virtually impossible to get a good bat this early in the season -- you wont even have a shot until the earliest probably Mid or Late May when a few teams are already 10-15 games out. Then go look up those teams assets and see if they have a bat they can trade for a prospect or two like KC with Billy Butler. Butler is only 25 but is so good with the bat, a good consistent hitter with decent power. Controllable for 4 more years at a good affordable salary ($8 mil) which won't "offend" Bautista as some have been suggesting if you bring in someone with a $20 mil salary (which is ridiculous but never know lol).

LuckyLuke2
04-22-2012, 12:48 PM
I don't know who would be the bat AA wants...

As for starter, Joe Blanton was rumoured to be a possibility, and because of Philly struggling a bit out of the gate, they may want to deal.

Minnesota could be a good trading partner. Morneau would be amazing but it would probably take more to get him.

I see AA doing something eventually. Their batting order for now has been decent and is picking up. Edwin is doing excellent so far with 13 RBI's and Rasmus has had a few good games recently especially last night.

Bautista has been struggling and so has Lind recently, so you can bet if that continues AA may get a big bat to put in between those two guys.

LuckyLuke2
04-22-2012, 12:52 PM
well, over the winter it was written that this could be his last year with texas due to his off field issues.

but yeah, he's not getting traded now with his start.

I guess that makes sense. But no way it happens now he's a big talent.

If he ever was being shopped so many teams would covet him.

Bob_at_york
04-23-2012, 01:18 PM
or just sign derek lee and avoid all the risk

I have no problem with us acquiring Lee (If lind is traded) but I see Morneau as an upgrade. The 6 years difference in age could be a huge factor.

Farsight
04-23-2012, 02:04 PM
If im the jays, im looking at Morales. I suggested it a few other times, as Pujols is stationed at 1B for the immediate future. Im sure you can get him at a reasonable price as he was injured for the majority of the previous season, and no one know's how he will perform... That said, i would still take him any day of the week over Lind

Bob_at_york
04-23-2012, 02:15 PM
If im the jays, im looking at Morales. I suggested it a few other times, as Pujols is stationed at 1B for the immediate future. Im sure you can get him at a reasonable price as he was injured for the majority of the previous season, and no one know's how he will perform... That said, i would still take him any day of the week over Lind

with the angels struggling out of the gate, I wonder if they would consider trading him for another arm.

Farsight
04-23-2012, 02:46 PM
with the angels struggling out of the gate, I wonder if they would consider trading him for another arm. Pitching is actually there strong suit, with a rotation of Weaver, Haren, Wilson, Santana (who has performed poorly so far). I honestly think time will cure the Angels issues as they are only 15 games in. If Santana is as bad as he has been in another month, than i believe they should start to panic

Bob_at_york
04-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Pitching is actually there strong suit, with a rotation of Weaver, Haren, Wilson, Santana (who has performed poorly so far). I honestly think time will cure the Angels issues as they are only 15 games in. If Santana is as bad as he has been in another month, than i believe they should start to panic

I thought they might want a young arm that could help them out in their bullpen. I heard their bullpen was weak.

rockbottom2010
04-23-2012, 03:35 PM
AA is a supersmart guy...top 5 GMs in all of baseball
other 4
andrew friedman - rays GM
jon daniels - rangers gm
brian sabaen - giants gm
dave dombrowski - tigers gm

its gonna be interesting to see what hes looking...i could picture him going after cole hamels, king felix, possibly tim lincecum, we will see

2009mvp
04-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Lol that list went to hell after #3.

craigerlee
04-23-2012, 04:32 PM

Ya Sabean is absolutely horrible. Dombrowski is alright IMO, probably not top 5 but I'd say top 10. Who would you put after Daniels, Friedman and AA? Couple of guys with no track record that I think might be good in DiPoto and Hoyer. I don't mind Wren and Mozeliak, but most GM's in baseball are kinda uninspiring. Most have made some trades or signings that you really just shake your head at.

rockbottom2010
04-23-2012, 05:54 PM
i was gonna put mozeliak.....but its tuff...sabean did build around lincecum, cain, and wilson...but the mistake is that he gave up wheeler...hoyer hasn't really done much....cashman is juss a money spender.....beane is another genius...i totally forgot about him....

craigerlee
04-23-2012, 06:09 PM
i was gonna put mozeliak.....but its tuff...sabean did build around lincecum, cain, and wilson...but the mistake is that he gave up wheeler...hoyer hasn't really done much....cashman is juss a money spender.....beane is another genius...i totally forgot about him....

You do realize Sabean has handed out some of the worst contracts ever to Aaron Rowand and Barry Zito. He also gave a pretty terrible contract to Aubrey Huff which has impeded the success of one of their best prospects in Brandon Belt. He has failed to put out a remotely decent offensive since Barry Bonds retired.

You also can't really give him all the credit for drafting Lincecum and Cain since he wasn't the scouting director at the time. Wheeler trade I don't really blame him for considering they were close to the playoffs and Carlos Beltran is good a player and that's what you have to give up to get a premium bat at the trade deadline. Had the rest of the team decided not to put on the worst display of offense in the history of baseball they might of made the playoffs.

rockbottom2010
04-27-2012, 08:50 AM
You do realize Sabean has handed out some of the worst contracts ever to Aaron Rowand and Barry Zito. He also gave a pretty terrible contract to Aubrey Huff which has impeded the success of one of their best prospects in Brandon Belt. He has failed to put out a remotely decent offensive since Barry Bonds retired.

You also can't really give him all the credit for drafting Lincecum and Cain since he wasn't the scouting director at the time. Wheeler trade I don't really blame him for considering they were close to the playoffs and Carlos Beltran is good a player and that's what you have to give up to get a premium bat at the trade deadline. Had the rest of the team decided not to put on the worst display of offense in the history of baseball they might of made the playoffs.

but at the same time they did win the world series in 2010

miller74
04-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Ya Sabean is absolutely horrible. Dombrowski is alright IMO, probably not top 5 but I'd say top 10. Who would you put after Daniels, Friedman and AA? Couple of guys with no track record that I think might be good in DiPoto and Hoyer. I don't mind Wren and Mozeliak, but most GM's in baseball are kinda uninspiring. Most have made some trades or signings that you really just shake your head at.

Hes the only GM on that "top 5" list with a ring so hes not that bad, alot of good GMs give out bad contracts.

GNick
04-30-2012, 05:52 AM
Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos refuted reports that he is actively searching for a starter and a big bat, saying that he has had "zero dialogue" with other GMs, tweets Shi Davidi of Sportsnet. The GM added that the trade market around the league is quite stagnant and he doesn't expect it to really pick up until after the draft, according to Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com (via Twitter).

ah nuts
04-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos refuted reports that he is actively searching for a starter and a big bat, saying that he has had "zero dialogue" with other GMs, tweets Shi Davidi of Sportsnet. The GM added that the trade market around the league is quite stagnant and he doesn't expect it to really pick up until after the draft, according to Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com (via Twitter).

yeah no one is going to trade a quality player in april/may and once june roll around, just as well to wait for the trade deadline when gms lose their senses .

town123
05-06-2012, 10:12 AM

Dombrowski doing the Fister deal was pretty nice, but I guess picking Seattles pocket isn't that huge an accomplishment. I'd still have DD in the top 10 gm list.

wamco
05-06-2012, 02:38 PM

that's kinda scary....so what does he do all day?

Krylian
05-06-2012, 03:38 PM
that's kinda scary....so what does he do all day?

Asks other teams if they want to deal and listen to them say 'No thanks. You'll rape me.'

wamco
05-06-2012, 06:44 PM
hopefully he doesn't pull a JP and accidentally schedule his vacation the same week as the trade deadine.

For a GM that is all about trading rather than FA, I hope to hear at least the "balls in the air" line.

Krylian
05-06-2012, 07:24 PM
hopefully he doesn't pull a JP and accidentally schedule his vacation the same week as the trade deadine.

For a GM that is all about trading rather than FA, I hope to hear at least the "balls in the air" line.

No worries. He was still working and taking calls during his Honeymoon.

wamco
05-06-2012, 07:33 PM
i know and telling every team" I'm gonna have to be blown away to make a deal" and then wasn't blown away.