PDA

View Full Version : In the world of players like Stoudemire, Dirk, and other 1 dimensional players

Souljia Boiii
04-19-2012, 03:09 PM
In a world of 1 dimensional players at the 4 position that can only score points, cannot produce double digit rebounds, and cannot play defense, how do players like blake griffin become " overated and over hyped"?

in 2 years, Blake has done what dirk has never managed to do in his entire career, post 20/10 and 3 assist, numbers nba champion dirk nowitzki has never produced in his entire 13 year career! and he isnt even the best player on his own team!

yet blake griffin is overated and all he can do is dunk :facepalm:

but we applaud players like dirk because he finally managed to win 1 ring, and we say griffin is overated becasue we never actually have seen a clipper game, our panties just get in a bunch because every day he has 2 plays in sports center's top 10

i guess lebron was overated as well when he was in cleveland and he was featured in the top 10 everyday as well

i really, honestly would like for someone to come up with a valid reason as to how blake griffin is overated :laugh:

20/10 in only 2 years, but he is overated:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

took dwight 3 years to average 20/10, love 2 years, amare stoudemire, never in his career:facepalm:, and griffin did it in his first season, as a rookie

last person prior to griffin to average 20/10 in their rookie year: Tim Duncan

but blake is overated because he can dunk:facepalm:

anyway, i would LOVE to hear a valid reason for a player who isnt even the best player on his team, averaging 20/10 to be OVERATED

please, enlighten us

Ebbs
04-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Dirk isn't a one dimensional player this thread is inaccurate

Souljia Boiii
04-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Dirk isn't a one dimensional player this thread is inaccurate

when he averages 20/10 and 3, then we can talk about him not being 1 dimensional

all dirk is a scorer, he doesnt add anything outside of that, griffin is a better passer, and rebounder

thats what i mean by one dimensional

blake gives you 3 things, scoring, rebounding and passing(even tho his assists took a slight dip with the addition of cp3)

justinnum1
04-19-2012, 03:15 PM
20/12 on 54% shooting is pretty good.

Souljia Boiii
04-19-2012, 03:19 PM
20/12 on 54% shooting is pretty good.

[inserts probable troll response] but all he does is dunk! and shooting % is irrelevant because dirk takes harder shots and has the ball in his hand during clutch time, as well as players like stoudemire

and chris paul gives him easy baskets, blake cannot create for himself

all he is is an overated dunking fool, without his athletecism, he would be chris mihm

Souljia Boiii
04-19-2012, 03:24 PM
if only the person who said yes on the poll would have the stones to post a valid reason

justinnum1
04-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Win shares...

29$JerZ
04-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Griffin is a tremoundous flopper so Dirk >

Obviously

Souljia Boiii
04-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Win shares...

[continues to play devil's advocate] win shares? this clown hasnt even played a playoff game yet, win shares? winning what? 13th seed in the west?

he needed cp3 to make the playoffs! who cares if he had more win shares than dirk in his first 2 seasons in the nba?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Blake Griffen is the most overrated player in the league

topdog
04-19-2012, 03:39 PM
In this very forum, Griffin has been called a top 10 player and the best power forward in the league. That's overrated!

Generally, I think he is overhyped and coddled by the league. As for a comparison against Nowitzki: Dirk is a distance shooter meaning he is out of position for rebounds on shots he takes; Dirk is a much better and far more polished offensive player; Dirk showed he was clutch last year the way he owned the 4th quarters against the HEAT - Griffin routinely disappears, can't make free throws and makes a very low percentage of open jumpers.

D-Leethal
04-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Send a championships run of playoff defenses for 4 consecutive 7 game series all geared at stopping Blake and don't give him the best pure PG in the league and see if he can put the team on his back, score at will no matter who gets thrown at him, and take his team home during crunch time again and again en route to an NBA championship, than come talk to me.

You sound like the Knick fans who were saying David Lee was better than Amare because he put up 22-12 2 years back. Some guys are STAT stuffers, Blake is one of them. He has no go-to offensive moves and gets his points on put backs and pick and rolls. He does't even have a reliable jumper and isn't a great face up scorer. Can't score in iso's which becomes critically important in the playoffs.

The reasons why Blake is nowhere near Dirk is endless. Amare in his prime is also light years ahead. Blake has a lot of work to do, just like Amare did. He's gotta improve his offensive game like Amare did.

PurpleJesus
04-19-2012, 03:40 PM
why are you starting a thread for people to bash your favorite player?

thapastime7
04-19-2012, 03:41 PM
i never saw a jumper or a three ball from him lmao...all i see is 40 inch vertical very athletic guy he is considered overated bc he gets alot of hype from espn a great player and finisher but overated bc of espn

D-Leethal
04-19-2012, 03:43 PM
I also haven't seen him posterize someone without a blatant offensive foul no-call involved. I was sick of him the moment they staged the dunk contest to guarantee him the finals.

He didn't have any business making the finals, but he had his stupid KIA dunk that I'm sure KIA had already paid tons of sponsorship $$$ for and they had to make happen.

I Rock Shaqs
04-19-2012, 03:45 PM
LMFAO this dudes name is Soulja Boi, CMON SON!!
but for real **** Blake Griffin!

I Rock Shaqs
04-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Also This Is A Poorly Executed Trolling Thread

mavsman81
04-19-2012, 03:57 PM
In a world of 1 dimensional players at the 4 position that can only score points, cannot produce double digit rebounds, and cannot play defense, how do players like blake griffin become " overated and over hyped"?

in 2 years, Blake has done what dirk has never managed to do in his entire career, post 20/10 and 3 assist, numbers nba champion dirk nowitzki has never produced in his entire 13 year career! and he isnt even the best player on his own team!

but we applaud players like dirk because he finally managed to win 1 ring, and we say griffin is overated becasue we never actually have seen a clipper game, our panties just get in a bunch because every day he has 2 plays in sports center's top 10

i guess lebron was overated as well when he was in cleveland and he was featured in the top 10 everyday as well

i really, honestly would like for someone to come up with a valid reason as to how blake griffin is overated :laugh:

took dwight 3 years to average 20/10, love 2 years, amare stoudemire, never in his career:facepalm:, and griffin did it in his first season, as a rookie

anyway, i would LOVE to hear a valid reason for a player who isnt even the best player on his team, averaging 20/10 to be OVERATED

please, enlighten us

Blake is overrated.:clap: I'm glad you agree:clap:

How many game winning shots has he put down?:confused:

How meny times have we said wow blake is lighting it up from the floor?:confused:

How many times have teams guarded him 10+ feet from the basket?:confused:

when have we seen him lead his team?:confused:

Blake Griffin is a nice player who can dunk the ball, just like Howard. before you get your panties in a bunch:speechless: how about you watch a real #4. K.LOVE:clap:

Alot of people have had nice stats and are still overrated. Sorry but them be the facts!!

Furymaker
04-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Damn , you compare Dirk and Griffin , you deserve a :facepalm:

Evolution23
04-19-2012, 04:11 PM
20 and 10 are great numbers but if you can't lead your team to the playoffs, in my eyes you are not a elite player. I know he is about to do it this year with Chris Paul but lets be real, the Clippers aren't doing anything this year without CP3. Dirk and Amare have both proven that they can lead their teams to the playoffs without help from another superstar. Amare proved his worth last year by leading the Knicks to the playoffs and Dirk did his thing last year and many times before that.

smith&wesson
04-19-2012, 04:11 PM
if only the person who said yes on the poll would have the stones to post a valid reason

ok here we go.

dirk career average is 22.9 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 2.7 apg 1 bpg

00-01 averaged 9.2 rpg
04-05 averaged 9.7 rpg
05-06 averaged 9 rpg
06-07 averaged 8.9 rpg
07-08 averaged 8.4 rpg

obviously when he was younger he could rebound the ball better. now that he is older they save his energy for more scoring as they need his clutchness.

next point

Dirk has many offensive weapons in his arsenal. infact he hardley ever dunks. in comparison to the contested shots he takes and makes. He is having one of his worst years in terms of fg% at 45.6 but last season he was at 51.7 fg %. the fact that those fg's are not dunks and nearly the same as griffens tells you something.

Dirk is older, he has been a productive player for a long, long time. Blake is younger. no one is saying that Blake cant continue to work on his game and become better in terms of having weapons in his arsenal but on the offensive end in terms of scoring he really is a one trick pony at the moment.

not taking anything away from his rebounding and passing ability. he is a great talent and will probably improve. The reason he is over hyped though is because he isnt being compared to guys like amare, he is all over espn as the next big thing after lebron and durant which he simply isnt. YET!

PurpleJesus
04-19-2012, 04:16 PM
^^^but 9.7 rebounds isnt 10, which is why Blake is good.

Evolution23
04-19-2012, 04:19 PM
When I watch the Clippers and Blake catches the ball 15 feet away from the hoop. He stands there uncontested and is afraid to shoot. He has no confidence in that jumper. I think he can improve on that jumper in the future like Amare did but right now is very overrated.

smith&wesson
04-19-2012, 04:25 PM
^^^but 9.7 rebounds isnt 10, which is why Blake is good.

im thinking sarcasm ? lol

heyman321
04-19-2012, 04:30 PM
The fact that Dirk isn't a bang inside player and still gets 8-9 rebounds a game says a lot. Tell me when Blake Griffin leads his team to the Finals, and then wins.

Lim
04-19-2012, 04:31 PM
oh so first ballot HOFamers are 1 dimensional now?

LA4life24/8
04-19-2012, 04:32 PM
he is overrated becuase 9 out of 10 espn guys have him in the top 10 players in the league.... he is skilled and uses his athleticism to his advantage, when he loses his hops a little bit hell learn to shoot and score other ways, he does rebound very well, although his "monster dunks" that are throw ins sometimes are way overrated because he uses his off hand to stiff arm the other player away A LOT of the time, is he a great player? yes, is he top 10 today? no.. imo overrated

Da Knicks
04-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Blake Griffin is a more athletic David Lee except Lee has a jumper....

Giraffes Rule
04-19-2012, 04:41 PM
I don't think you understand what a one-dimensional player is.

airforceones25
04-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Clipper fan here however this is without bias... Has any other player in the league ever been as scrutinized and called overrated by fans so much in his 2nd year of professional basketball besides LeBron James?

I really find it funny how often you all complain about his game so much when the kid hasn't even begun to scratch the surface. Every thread that mentions Griffin is followed by the standard... "Blake Griffin is overrated! All he does is dunks. When he loses his athleticism he will be horrible. He can't shoot, He can't play defense!" ..... I've never seen a single player step into the league from day 1 and expected to do so much by so many people. Lol Nobody entered the league polished off. Not Michael, not Kobe, not LeBron. They all have worked on their games to get to where they are.

You people act as if he can't spend hours in the gym during the offseason and work on his jumpers. Work on his free throw or defense. Sure he's nothing the perfect player but I scoff at you all who expect so much out of a player in his 2nd pro season. Hell maybe it's a compliment because you expect greatness... I just don't get it..

That is all!

Method28
04-19-2012, 04:52 PM
Ima clips fan.

I dont think its fair to compare griff to dirk yet. Dirk is not overrated. But griff IS getting waaaaay too much hate. I agree with that.

mavsman81
04-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Clipper fan here however this is without bias... Has any other player in the league ever been as scrutinized and called overrated by fans so much in his 2nd year of professional basketball besides LeBron James?

I really find it funny how often you all complain about his game so much when the kid hasn't even begun to scratch the surface. Every thread that mentions Griffin is followed by the standard... "Blake Griffin is overrated! All he does is dunks. When he loses his athleticism he will be horrible. He can shoot!" ..... I've never seen a single player step into the league from day 1 and expected to do so much by so many people. Lol Nobody entered the league polished off. Not Michael, not Kobe, not LeBron. They all have worked on their games to get to where they are.

You people act as if he can't spend hours in the gym during the offseason and work on his jumpers. Work on his free throw or defense. Sure he's nothing the perfect player but I scoff at you all who expect so much out of a player in his 2nd pro season. Hell maybe it's a compliment because you expect greatness... I just don't get it..

That is all!

Read a few posts on page 2. Thats EXACTLY what they are saying. He has PLENTY of time to polish up and be GREAT. But as of right now he is one dimensional

VinceCarter
04-19-2012, 05:09 PM

I really find it funny how often you all complain about his game so much when the kid hasn't even begun to scratch the surface. Every thread that mentions Griffin is followed by the standard... "Blake Griffin is overrated! All he does is dunks. When he loses his athleticism he will be horrible. He can't shoot, He can't play defense!" ..... I've never seen a single player step into the league from day 1 and expected to do so much by so many people. Lol Nobody entered the league polished off. Not Michael, not Kobe, not LeBron. They all have worked on their games to get to where they are.

That is all!

People's expectations are not set high of him.....it's that ESPN and the media have put this holyness on the dude and has made him seem like a top 10 player in the league when he is not.

smith&wesson
04-19-2012, 06:31 PM
People's expectations are not set high of him.....it's that ESPN and the media have put this holyness on the dude and has made him seem like a top 10 player in the league when he is not.

LOL your sig kills me :laugh2:

Evolution23
04-19-2012, 06:35 PM

That is all!

No one is saying he can't get better but right now he's not as great as ESPN makes him out be. Still very raw but the talent is still there to become an elite player.

Ebbs
04-19-2012, 06:49 PM
when he averages 20/10 and 3, then we can talk about him not being 1 dimensional

all dirk is a scorer, he doesnt add anything outside of that, griffin is a better passer, and rebounder

blake gives you 3 things, scoring, rebounding and passing(even tho his assists took a slight dip with the addition of cp3)

Well yo uare underplaying Dirk's offense which is exceptional and carried his team consistently to the post season . . .

Also you do realize Dirk is averaging 26 and 10 over the post season?

He also averaged 25.1 PPG, 9.9 RPG, 3.0 APG and 26.1 PPG, 9.7 RPG, 3.1 APG in different seasons. . .

elizur
04-19-2012, 06:50 PM

I do not think the person did not post because of the size of his balls... I think it did not even cross his mind that someone would feel this way. It did not cross my mind until you posted this.

NoahH
04-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Blake can't hit an uncontested shot from further than 8ft out

Blazers#1Fan
04-19-2012, 07:06 PM
all i gotta say is Dirk carries his team put blake on Dallas he's last years clippers no playoffs tim duncan came into the league beasting he had Robinson and still put up numbers blake has CP3 and Jordan not hard to put up his numbers with a lobbing PG and a defensive Center

replace Klove on there and they look like a stronger team hell i say aldridge is more versatile then griffin, Griffin isnt even close to tim Duncan
Amare and Griffin are closer to the same player then TD and BG and this is coming from somebody who likes BG

Donuts365
04-19-2012, 07:10 PM
i never saw a jumper or a three ball from him lmao...all i see is 40 inch vertical very athletic guy he is considered overated bc he gets alot of hype from espn a great player and finisher but overated bc of espn

made 2 prob 3 last year

Unrequited
04-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Blake has no go-to moves. He gets fed from a good point guard. Dirk can take over games. And Dirk can also play D--a whole lot better than Blake Griffin can.

Run&Gun
04-19-2012, 07:30 PM
The media def. overhypes Griffin and anyone who says he is a top 10 player is just as crazy. I wouldn't call him one dimensional but to put him as being better than Dirk is wrong at least for this year.

I think any athletic player who doesn't have prototypical skills at their position will get a lot of flank. But you've got to admit that when you watch Griffin play he has an ugly raw game still, very much like Amare without a jumpshot. Has really nice handles but basically barrels it in and finishes over contact, with the occasional mechanical up and under. Only makes 38% of his shot outside the restricted area should tell you all about his offensive game, but he still has time to improve, and unlike Ama're he has a great passing game.

To whoever created this thread, clearly you have not seen Dirk play enough, when he has the ball he is literally the perfect offensive player only PF in the game right now maybe besides a hot Z-bo who you can put the ball late in the game. Can't put a big man on him cuz he'll just drive the ball in, can't put a small guy cuz he'll shoot it over him, can't foul him cuz he shoot over 86% from the free throw line, can't double him cuz he can pass out the double team. He's not a great one on one defender but he's a good team defender, and gets rebounds to prevent second chances which is what's important.

kenzo400
04-19-2012, 07:36 PM
I also haven't seen him posterize someone without a blatant offensive foul no-call involved. I was sick of him the moment they staged the dunk contest to guarantee him the finals.

He didn't have any business making the finals, but he had his stupid KIA dunk that I'm sure KIA had already paid tons of sponsorship $$$ for and they had to make happen.

They gave the NBA 4 million dollars just for that. That's not even counting how much more money they will pay in the future for nba sponsorship.

JayW_1023
04-20-2012, 03:58 AM
Dirk is a great playmaker. That entire Mavs team has been built on his playmaking for over seven years now. The TS is full of bull. Stats are really empty here. Dirk had to carry a much bigger load than Griffin in his first two years, and he is a proven winner.

akesh99
04-20-2012, 04:19 AM
No diss to Blake, he's an athletic freak. That being said, stats are great but 10 times out of 10 I'm picking Dirk over Blake if I'm trying to win a ship. I'm sure most people here can agree on that

Sssmush
04-20-2012, 04:46 AM
Dirk is mostly just a jump shooter. He's a good player but he's like 2nd level or whatever.
And at this point, Dirk is looking a bit over the hill. Also, Dirk always has this kind of "duh" butt-face, which counts against him a bit too.

I don't think anybody in their right mind would trade Blake for Dirk right now, even if Dallas threw in a couple of 1st round picks. No way. Blake is that rare rookie who totally delivers the goods, big time.

Then again, it's hard to judge Dirk this year, because they totally jacked him by pairing him with Vince Carter and trading away Chandler and Barea. Their plan was to bring in Dwight this summer, so we heard, but Dwight opted in for another year and also has turned into Greg Oden + Starbury overnight, so *ooops* for Dallas.

ragee
04-20-2012, 05:11 AM
Dirk is mostly just a jump shooter. He's a good player but he's like 2nd level or whatever.
And at this point, Dirk is looking a bit over the hill. Also, Dirk always has this kind of "duh" butt-face, which counts against him a bit too.

I don't think anybody in their right mind would trade Blake for Dirk right now, even if Dallas threw in a couple of 1st round picks. No way. Blake is that rare rookie who totally delivers the goods, big time.

Then again, it's hard to judge Dirk this year, because they totally jacked him by pairing him with Vince Carter and trading away Chandler and Barea. Their plan was to bring in Dwight this summer, so we heard, but Dwight opted in for another year and also has turned into Greg Oden + Starbury overnight, so *ooops* for Dallas.

Jump shooter? Have you seen a Mavs game since Nash left? He rarely dunks but he attacks the basket all the time. He shoots a lot of mid range shots but calling him mostly a jump shooter is just absurd.

With regards to him being over the hill, don't just look at the stats. He was out of shape when the season started but after the mavs pulled him out for a few days and helped him get back into shape, Dirk has been playing like the old Dirk.

thenaj17
04-20-2012, 05:55 AM
In this very forum, Griffin has been called a top 10 player and the best power forward in the league. That's overrated!

Generally, I think he is overhyped and coddled by the league. As for a comparison against Nowitzki: Dirk is a distance shooter meaning he is out of position for rebounds on shots he takes; Dirk is a much better and far more polished offensive player; Dirk showed he was clutch last year the way he owned the 4th quarters against the HEAT - Griffin routinely disappears, can't make free throws and makes a very low percentage of open jumpers.

This says pretty much all i was going to say.

Also, Griffin isn't even a top 5 PF yet people were debating who was better between him and Love. That smack of overrating.

Dirk, Love, Gasol, Aldridge and Randolph are better than Blake Griffin and that's just 5 off the top of my head. The difference...shooting. Blake can't make anything 10 feet out more than once or twice a game on a good day.

thenaj17
04-20-2012, 05:57 AM
Oh and Bosh, Stoudamire also..

Sssmush
04-20-2012, 06:30 AM
Jump shooter? Have you seen a Mavs game since Nash left? He rarely dunks but he attacks the basket all the time. He shoots a lot of mid range shots but calling him mostly a jump shooter is just absurd.

With regards to him being over the hill, don't just look at the stats. He was out of shape when the season started but after the mavs pulled him out for a few days and helped him get back into shape, Dirk has been playing like the old Dirk.

Dirk is a nice player... I don't mean to talk bad about him if he's your favorite player. Sorry.

I don't think Blake is overrated. As I recall, when Dirk came into the league, it took a few years before he started to really hit his stride and develop his potential. For isntance, Nelly drafted him, but I believe Nelly was out in Dallas by the time Dirk started to fulfill the prophecy and show that he was worth all they gave up to draft him so high. He's definitely been a nice player, but I do must insist that the main quality that makes him unique and valuable is his excellent long range shooting, the fact that he is a 7 footer that can really score from long distance.

Blake has been an absolute monster since stepping into the NBA on day one. The only reason I'd say he's overrated is that he is just doing it all on raw talent, and hasn't fully developed his game. The fact that he is shaking up the league on the CLIPPERS is even more unreal, because aside from CP3 and Billups he probably gets almost no coaching or leadership on the Clippers, and is basically just doing his own thing most of the time. If he was on the Lakers, say under Phil Jackson, then he'd probably be playing 25 tightly structured minutes a night and really being developed in all phases, and used as a weapon and always in the right spots, rather than on the Clippers he is just running up and down the court for 40 minutes with CP3 like it's a pickup game.

LongWayFromHome
04-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Dirk is a nice player... I don't mean to talk bad about him if he's your favorite player. Sorry.

I don't think Blake is overrated. As I recall, when Dirk came into the league, it took a few years before he started to really hit his stride and develop his potential. For isntance, Nelly drafted him, but I believe Nelly was out in Dallas by the time Dirk started to fulfill the prophecy and show that he was worth all they gave up to draft him so high. He's definitely been a nice player, but I do must insist that the main quality that makes him unique and valuable is his excellent long range shooting, the fact that he is a 7 footer that can really score from long distance.

Blake has been an absolute monster since stepping into the NBA on day one. The only reason I'd say he's overrated is that he is just doing it all on raw talent, and hasn't fully developed his game. The fact that he is shaking up the league on the CLIPPERS is even more unreal, because aside from CP3 and Billups he probably gets almost no coaching or leadership on the Clippers, and is basically just doing his own thing most of the time. If he was on the Lakers, say under Phil Jackson, then he'd probably be playing 25 tightly structured minutes a night and really being developed in all phases, and used as a weapon and always in the right spots, rather than on the Clippers he is just running up and down the court for 40 minutes with CP3 like it's a pickup game.

lol Dirk started younger than Griffin. By the time Dirk was Griffin's age he was avg 21 and 9 with a stl and a blk too (cuz he doesnt play D right?).

Nelly was with Dirk until the middle of 2005 when Dirk was avg 26 pts

"All the Mavs gave up to get him"? :facepalm: They traded Tractor Traylor on draft night For Dirk and Steve Nash.

At least know something before you type a full paragraph goodness gracious.

LongWayFromHome
04-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Also... we are talking about the guy who single handedly won the title last year right?

Swashcuff
04-20-2012, 10:55 AM
The Blake hate is just getting worst and worst. Its like nothing the guy does on the floor is going to please some of you posters.

Just imagine that a one dimensional player was able to do something in his rookie season that no other player in the history of the league was able to do as a rookie. When he develops his offensive game and defense (don't tell me he can't he has one of the best work ethics of anyone in all of basketball) just imagine how great he can really be.

You haters really disgust me.

Its utterly ridiculous that people would hate on the man for winning a dunk contest that YOU the fans voted for. And lastly as crappy as that dunk over the car was that dunk contest was 1,000,000 times better than this years solely because of what was expected of Griffin.

Swashcuff
04-20-2012, 10:59 AM
lol Dirk started younger than Griffin. By the time Dirk was Griffin's age he was avg 21 and 9 with a stl and a blk too (cuz he doesnt play D right?).

"All the Mavs gave up to get him"? :facepalm: They traded Tractor Traylor on draft night For Dirk and Steve Nash.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=griffbl01&y1=2011&p2=nowitdi01&y2=2000

2nd year Dirk vs 1st year Blake.

Dirk was better in his 3rd year than Blake was in his however.

LongWayFromHome
04-20-2012, 11:13 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=griffbl01&y1=2011&p2=nowitdi01&y2=2000

2nd year Dirk vs 1st year Blake.

Dirk was better in his 3rd year than Blake was in his however.

Right, we are talking about how Blake is right now. But can somebody honestly say (in hindsight) that they would rather have had 2011 Blake (21) than 2011 Dirk (32)

WVNowitzki
04-20-2012, 11:14 AM

This logic is so flawed and clearly baiting, so I won't feed into this too much. However, Dirk is one of the best big men passers in the game, I challenge you to tell me a PF who can pass out of a double team better than Dirk. If you really think it's Blake Griffin, you clearly don't pay that close of attention. I bet your main source of info is ESPN too, which is comical in itself.

Swashcuff
04-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Right, we are talking about how Blake is right now. But can somebody honestly say (in hindsight) that they would rather have had 2011 Blake (21) than 2011 Dirk (32)

In no sight would anyone in their right mind say that.

FraziersKnicks
04-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Blake Griffen is the most overrated player in the league

Okay cool, what do you think of Blake Griffin?

Catfish1314
04-20-2012, 12:11 PM
This thread lost all credibility when it referred to Dirk as one dimensional. He's much better defensively than people give him credit for.

RonE Coleman
04-20-2012, 01:42 PM
The Blake hate is just getting worst and worst. Its like nothing the guy does on the floor is going to please some of you posters.

Just imagine that a one dimensional player was able to do something in his rookie season that no other player in the history of the league was able to do as a rookie. When he develops his offensive game and defense (don't tell me he can't he has one of the best work ethics of anyone in all of basketball) just imagine how great he can really be.

You haters really disgust me.

Its utterly ridiculous that people would hate on the man for winning a dunk contest that YOU the fans voted for. And lastly as crappy as that dunk over the car was that dunk contest was 1,000,000 times better than this years solely because of what was expected of Griffin.

Blake sucks... come talk to me when he develops a jumpshot, post game, can hit free throws, and plays even a little bit of defense

Swashcuff
04-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Blake sucks... come talk to me when he develops a jumpshot, post game, can hit free throws, and plays even a little bit of defense

Actually Blake does have a post game and if he really sucks how on earth does he average 22, 12 as a rookie. Something Tim Duncan, Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, Bob Pettit etc etc all weren't able to do as rookies.

Something tells me that when he develops himself offensively and defensively he'll be the greatest sucker ever. :rolleyes:

You guys know NOTHING about basketball. Blake sucks? :laugh2:

AnthonyTyrael
04-20-2012, 02:18 PM

@ ragee: Not much to add here. I would use the same words. His shooting, rebounding and passing could improve but well, it will next season. Nothing mind boogling though.

His stats might stay the same (regarding season averages) if Mavs can add another star player but in this case again, they will have go seperate ways with Marion, Terry, Kidd, Carter.... with one, two, three or even all out of this pool. Then again, the Mavs offense is worse this year.

Their team ppg average might go up a little next season so that and the player movement, if it happens, might not affect Dirks statistical averages at all and he'll be putting up the same numbers which he's putting up recently.

The only thing to mention is, that their plan looked and still looks differently. Letting Barea walk was necessary. He's not really needed in Dallals anyway. You can compare it with Beaubois. Sometimes he shows his talent but oftenly, he's not meeting the expectations at all. Therefor, will have to leave.

Same goes with Butler, who was injured all year anyway. It's going to be a mistake to have split with Stevenson and Chandler, if next offseason or at latest until trade deadline, won't get us neither Deron nor Howard. Anyway, there are other options around, don't worry about a team that has someone like Cuban in the back.

"All the Mavs gave up to get him"? They traded Tractor Traylor on draft night For Dirk and Steve Nash.

Dirk is nothing close to the GOAT, that's for sure. He's among the best players in the history of the league though. Griffin is young, that's right, give him time and have patience. He's talented, a little overhyped by media. Is it his fault or thirs? I dunno the answer.

@Sssmush:

About Dirks NBA entry: What they gave up, wasn't much, I agree. It was fair back then, even there were ppl around having put hope into the tractor.

He was not only younger, as mentioned. Dirk got hyped to the ex when he started overseas. You gotta keep in mind that the best European players back then were Kukoc, Divac and an old Sabonis among many other Lithuanians and Yugoslavians who could shoot damn well. The Dutch had Rik Smitts and there were some other good or better players from Europe such like Muresan but you can't compare those in NBA standards to those that followed them.

They did want him to be the new, the next KG. They praised him to everybody, telling them he'd be that one day, can you belive it?

Being from Germany, having no highschool nor college sports, no competiton, no contest at all, not at slightest the same basketball eduacation like in the U.S., having played only in the second German league and half a season in the first, ecpectations were put up way in the sky and his developement into the player he is now, with all his achievements wasn't, to be honest, forseeable.

The Mavs fans booed him and Nash for their first 10-13 games. I still hear it ring in my ears. Playing NBA, with its traveling, schedule, with its level... you can't compare it with playing in Germany or to Griffin who was educated in the U.S. He learned to play basketball differently, he learned the fundamentals right, he had a much better setting up than Dirk ever had and believe me, Dirk's private training is very alternative. You gotta keep in mind, where he's coming from. As human being and as basketballplayer.

Another point on my list: Talking about Dirk, all you guys just mention what he has achieved in the NBA. that's not fair, if you talk about him as a player.

What about his international career? With Germany we almost beat the USA in Indianapolis at the WC. With a national team thats as worse as ours, one that you cannot compare to the talent in budnle that other nations have, like France, like Italy, like Spain, like Lithuania, like former Republic of Yugoslavian, Croatia, Greece, Turkey, Argentinia and so on... still we won a few medals at international tournaments and Dirk won quiet a few MVP throphies, scoring titles and even a rebound title, I think.

Carrying Germany to those "success" was far more than he ever achieved in the NBA. Okay, Germany won the European Championship back in 1993 but nobody knows how that was possible (sure we do but that's another story). Before and after that, our teams were almost crap eall the time. We had one or two guys who went to UNC for some years, a guy who played C at Hawaii but that's it. None NBA talent besides Welp and Blabb (who? you got it) - nothing. Black hole.

In this forum, I've never seen anybody talk about him being clutch international, being a beast, killing teams like Greece, Turkey, Spain almost by himself, when our shooters did not hit no basket. Then, like in Dallas, all the reponsibility, all the weight was on his shoulders and he went up for 30, 40, almost 50 points if needed against players like the Gasol brothers, prime Turkoglu, Parker or against the whole Team USA. Back then he dis it all and on these tournaments, it's been much easier for him to play great D, through his size and NBA experience.

Talking NBA, Dirk's not just a 7 foot jump shooter again. If this is your opinion, it would be your biggest mistake playing against him. He is versatile on the offensive end, through his height. He's not spectacular, no dunking monster, nobody who can drive to the basket to finish with authority. He's a shooter, that's right but over the years he has develeoped some post up game which is effcient so the mismatches he creates, the abilites he has makes it hard for most defenders to guard him. All that plus his NBA career. Compare it to Griffin in a few years. We'll talk again.

About Griffin: You might be right, future is his but it's the same for other players like him too. Let's wait some more seasons and let him peak. we will see how much he can seperate himself from othrs at his position or from everyone else. He can become a great player no doubt, he probably will and Dirk is not God, but he's a better player than you just may think. That's all I'm saying. Give both credit.

pebloemer
04-20-2012, 02:20 PM

please, enlighten us

I really like Blake Griffin and what he brings to the NBA. But do you need you so many facepalms? And who are you referencing with a lot of these statements. Overrated is a relative term. If I say Blake Griffin is the best PF ever to play the game for example, "20 and 10 in only two years" doesn't dispute the fact that I've overrated him in my statement.

I'm not sure how to respond to your statements. They sound like hollow rants.

How do you rate Blake Griffin? And why to you rate him as such?

Sssmush
04-20-2012, 08:02 PM

Well, as I recall, Dirk was considered a huge reach at #9, a longshot project that only Don Nelson believed in, and everybody said wasn't worth the pick, and wouldn't pan out in time for Nelly. So, that's what I meant, they used that #9 overall pick on him, passing up Paul Pierce whom the Celtics snagged at #10.

As I recall Nelson did get some heat for that. Can you imagine Dallas with Paul Pierce and Steve Nash all these years? wow.

Anyway, Dirk's rookie season pales in comparison to Blake's. Dirk averaged 8 ppg and 3.4 rebounds.

2nd season considerably better, 17.5 ppg and 6.5 rebounds. Still, not even remote CLOSE to how Blake is dominating in his 2nd season. From there of course Dirk is able to average between 21 and 26 points per game, although as the OP mentioned, never having cracked the 10 rebounds per game mark.

And yes, 2004-2006 was the high water mark for Dirk, and Nelly WAS still there, so you are definitely right about that... I was wrong as wrong could be. But yeah, those two years were when people FINALLY said, OK, Nelly was totally right about this guy, Dirk was worth the pick, he's a superstar, etc etc.

Although still if you compare him to Paul Pierce, it's gotta be a major question mark.

Blake is a totally different kind of player though, anyway. More of a Barkley, and even potentially a kind of Jordan or Shaq hybrid. At this point we don't know how good Blake might become, but in comparing the first two years of their careers Blake >> Dirk, I don't think there's any question about that.

Sssmush
04-20-2012, 08:08 PM
@Sssmush:

About Dirks NBA entry: What they gave up, wasn't much, I agree. It was fair back then, even there were ppl around having put hope into the tractor.

He was not only younger, as mentioned. Dirk got hyped to the ex when he started overseas. You gotta keep in mind that the best European players back then were Kukoc, Divac and an old Sabonis among many other Lithuanians and Yugoslavians who could shoot damn well. The Dutch had Rik Smitts and there were some other good or better players from Europe such like Muresan but you can't compare those in NBA standards to those that followed them.

They did want him to be the new, the next KG. They praised him to everybody, telling them he'd be that one day, can you belive it?

Being from Germany, having no highschool nor college sports, no competiton, no contest at all, not at slightest the same basketball eduacation like in the U.S., having played only in the second German league and half a season in the first, ecpectations were put up way in the sky and his developement into the player he is now, with all his achievements wasn't, to be honest, forseeable.

The Mavs fans booed him and Nash for their first 10-13 games. I still hear it ring in my ears. Playing NBA, with its traveling, schedule, with its level... you can't compare it with playing in Germany or to Griffin who was educated in the U.S. He learned to play basketball differently, he learned the fundamentals right, he had a much better setting up than Dirk ever had and believe me, Dirk's private training is very alternative. You gotta keep in mind, where he's coming from. As human being and as basketballplayer.

Another point on my list: Talking about Dirk, all you guys just mention what he has achieved in the NBA. that's not fair, if you talk about him as a player.

What about his international career? With Germany we almost beat the USA in Indianapolis at the WC. With a national team thats as worse as ours, one that you cannot compare to the talent in budnle that other nations have, like France, like Italy, like Spain, like Lithuania, like former Republic of Yugoslavian, Croatia, Greece, Turkey, Argentinia and so on... still we won a few medals at international tournaments and Dirk won quiet a few MVP throphies, scoring titles and even a rebound title, I think.

Carrying Germany to those "success" was far more than he ever achieved in the NBA. Okay, Germany won the European Championship back in 1993 but nobody knows how that was possible (sure we do but that's another story). Before and after that, our teams were almost crap eall the time. We had one or two guys who went to UNC for some years, a guy who played C at Hawaii but that's it. None NBA talent besides Welp and Blabb (who? you got it) - nothing. Black hole.

In this forum, I've never seen anybody talk about him being clutch international, being a beast, killing teams like Greece, Turkey, Spain almost by himself, when our shooters did not hit no basket. Then, like in Dallas, all the reponsibility, all the weight was on his shoulders and he went up for 30, 40, almost 50 points if needed against players like the Gasol brothers, prime Turkoglu, Parker or against the whole Team USA. Back then he dis it all and on these tournaments, it's been much easier for him to play great D, through his size and NBA experience.

Talking NBA, Dirk's not just a 7 foot jump shooter again. If this is your opinion, it would be your biggest mistake playing against him. He is versatile on the offensive end, through his height. He's not spectacular, no dunking monster, nobody who can drive to the basket to finish with authority. He's a shooter, that's right but over the years he has develeoped some post up game which is effcient so the mismatches he creates, the abilites he has makes it hard for most defenders to guard him. All that plus his NBA career. Compare it to Griffin in a few years. We'll talk again.

About Griffin: You might be right, future is his but it's the same for other players like him too. Let's wait some more seasons and let him peak. we will see how much he can seperate himself from othrs at his position or from everyone else. He can become a great player no doubt, he probably will and Dirk is not God, but he's a better player than you just may think. That's all I'm saying. Give both credit.

Yes, it's true. Dirk is a really unique player and an excellent athlete, and he should be given credit for how excellent he is, absolutely including international play.

If Dirk wasn't playing in the NBA, he'd be a monster global sensation in the Euro leagues... so Dirk is giving up a lot and the NBA is gaining a lot by him being here.

BlondeBomber41
04-20-2012, 11:38 PM
Dirk Nowitzki can carry a team on his back offensively, Griffin can't. Not only does he not have any real moves offensively, if you foul him he is like a 50% free throw shooter. He is no #1 option, in fact at this point he is a liability down the stretch in close games.

Dirk has had plenty of seasons or 8-10 rebounds and 3+ APG. I'll take a slightly lower rebounding average if it means he can carry a team on his back down the stretch.

Sssmush
04-21-2012, 06:21 AM
Dirk Nowitzki can carry a team on his back offensively, Griffin can't. Not only does he not have any real moves offensively, if you foul him he is like a 50% free throw shooter. He is no #1 option, in fact at this point he is a liability down the stretch in close games.

Dirk has had plenty of seasons or 8-10 rebounds and 3+ APG. I'll take a slightly lower rebounding average if it means he can carry a team on his back down the stretch.

well, all stats and numbers aside, if Dallas played the Clippers 66 times this year in the actual physical world, Blake would be averaging like 35 points and 16 rebounds a game with Dirk guarding him, and Dirk would be averaging like 18 points and 4 rebounds, and would probably be out with a sore ankle or something at this point.

Also the Clippers would be like 55-10 or something like that.

Saying that Blake has no real moves or can't be a number one option is like saying that same thing about Shaq.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-21-2012, 06:37 AM
Homer thread.

Run&Gun
04-21-2012, 07:15 AM
well, all stats and numbers aside, if Dallas played the Clippers 66 times this year in the actual physical world, Blake would be averaging like 35 points and 16 rebounds a game with Dirk guarding him, and Dirk would be averaging like 18 points and 4 rebounds, and would probably be out with a sore ankle or something at this point.

Saying that Blake has no real moves or can't be a number one option is like saying that same thing about Shaq.

I think this statement is a way overboard, especially the one basically using an analogy that Blake Griffin's moves are as good as Shaq. Blake Griffin isn't close to that level yet, but he a very exciting player with the potential to be a top 5 player in the NBA.

At the moment though Blake Griffin doesn't have a huge variety of post moves, when you watch him play it's a lot like Ama're face up game revolved around post driving and trying to get a contact finish. Occasional up and under and that's prob. the only things he can do efficiently so far. He can't be relied on late in games at least not yet till he develops his jumper. Point is Griffin can be contained.

jimm120
04-21-2012, 07:37 AM

please, enlighten us

i WILL say this...Its not just about offense, but the TYPE of offense.

Its easier to neutralize scoring when you're only way of scoring is one way. Dirk is a master scorer. See how people praise Melo and Kobe for scoring? Dirk isn't there but is close. The variety of ways to score are up there, which makes team unable to adjust to him defensively. Amare to a lesser extent, but still has more variety in scoring.

So yeah, just wanted to say that.

ragee
04-21-2012, 08:08 AM

What are you talking about? Dirk averaged 32.2 ppg against Ibaka, one of the best defensive pfs, last year in the playoffs. I don't see how Blake can hold him down to 18. You hate so much on Dirk's defense but you fail to realize that Griffin is not that good of a defender as well. Another thing, although Blake and Dirk averages, when it comes to ppg are close, you fail to realize the quality of the points each player makes. Dirk scores a lot of his points in the 4th when the defense tightens up and the points weigh more. You don't believe me? Compare Dirk's stats in the regular season and the playoffs. It just shows Dirk scores more points when it matters more.

I really don't get why you said what you said but if you are saying Blake is better than Dirk right now then you are sadly mistaken. The only thing I would give to Blake when comparing him against Dirk is rebounding but you also have to put into account that one of the major factor Blake is averaging more rebounds than Dirk is because he spends most of his time under the basket while Dirk does not.

Lastly, comparing Blake to Dwight is more appropriate than comparing him to Shaq. I don't hate Blake and Dwight. I am actually a fan of them. Who I hate is Shaq but as an NBA fan, I can't deny his dominance during his prime. Dwight and Blake's offense are nowhere near that caliber.

AnthonyTyrael
04-21-2012, 08:39 AM
With a superficial point of view, they might be about eqaul right now. Dirk did start worse, is having a worse year nontheless his improvement after the all-star break, since when he's putting up almost his typical career numbers besides his FG% and TS%. Funny, I don't know the stats but this year, he seems to miss the closer shots more than those off the perimeter. Those are mostly bouncers, back of the rim shots or whatever. A few games ago, he just throwed 3 airballs within a few minutes and one way on the top of the glas but that's something I haven't seen in any game before. I have to admit, however, that his shooting last year, was by far the best of his career, so comparing Blake to this, isn't fair in return, besides there obvious diffenrences, likes and abilties on shotting the ball anyway.

You can also watch him get more rebounds from tiem to time, if he cares. As said, he's listed PF but actually through his game and distance he keeps to the basket, more of a SF. So staying further away as a few other forum useres have mentioned correctly before . He's also somewhat lazy at boxing out, in my opinion but ths might be sole and exclusively me. Many said he steps his game up come playofffs. That's true and if you look at all the greats, only a few of them did or were able to perform even better then than in the regular season.

@ Dallas, Dirk is the first option on offense, Blake isn't. It's much more balanced on the Clippers, especially with Billups and mo, don't forget about him, or Jordan who's having his nights too. If Blake steps up his game, and grows more and more into this position of being the thread #1, he'll be putting up much higher numbers offensively too. At D, just like Dirk, there are both good and Blake will improve too. Blake is young, young and young. He gotta grow, he gotta imrpove. It's more about his determination than about his skillz alone.

And then, if he has abetter arsenal, let's see how he climbs up in team chemistry. I did not think KLove could be the player he's become now one or two years ago. Sure on a weak team, an injury prone team but he has worked his way up.

Actually, whatever player it is, I'm happy if he gets there. Getting to the top or at least being considered of being one of the best at his time.

We should bring back one-on-one duells to the all-star game. Would be fun but I guess, some players would be afraid of losing face. Sadly. It's just challenge, nothing more. Would be awesome.

tcav701
04-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Are we really comparing Blake Stiff Arm Griffin to possibly the most versatile offensive PF ever?

Blake has a very unique talent in his athleticism which cannot be taught. But unless he develops a jumpshot, his career will slow up when he is older and begins to have knee problems that are common with his style of play.

All of Blakes strengths are because he can play above the rim. He will not have this athletic advantage in 7-8 years.

Can he develop into a great player? Of course. But I am much more comfortable comparing him to JSmoove than I am Dirk.

Oh, and maybe more people would respect him if the refs weren't running behind him and wiping his ***.

meloman1592
04-21-2012, 09:09 AM
What exactly are we discussing in this thread?

raiderfaninTX
04-21-2012, 09:14 AM
I do not care for blake , but no one has given a good argument to what the guy posted.
Whats funny people in this thread people are blasting blake saying he has to take his team to the finals or he sucks. These same people yesterday posted in the derrick rose discussion saying you cant criticize him if his team doesn't make it to the finals. Thats why I love the NBA Forum. The children in it are awesome

but its also weird that he talks about dirk only being one dimensional (all he is, is a shooter)

then people argue with him saying hes not one dimensional because he shoots jump shots and takes 3's

WTF?

naps
04-21-2012, 09:46 AM
BG is a tremendous player but that doesn't mean he can't still be overrated. Do you even know the definition of "Overrated"? I guess not.

Souljia Boiii
04-21-2012, 10:27 AM
i WILL say this...Its not just about offense, but the TYPE of offense.

Its easier to neutralize scoring when you're only way of scoring is one way. Dirk is a master scorer. See how people praise Melo and Kobe for scoring? Dirk isn't there but is close. The variety of ways to score are up there, which makes team unable to adjust to him defensively. Amare to a lesser extent, but still has more variety in scoring.

So yeah, just wanted to say that.

i was going to dignify this with a response, then i realized you are one of those bandwagon fans who flips between the jets and giants depending on who is successful each year

:facepalm:

NY fans are the worst

ewells20
04-21-2012, 10:46 AM
For someone to call Dirk Nowitzki a 1 diminsional player....you must only watch the highlights on ESPN Sports Center. If there is anything that Dirk is not, it is 1 diminisional.

For so many years he has been one of the most underrated players in the league. He is the definition of multi-diminsional because he commands so much attention in more than one way. His defense has not been the greatest, but he has improved considerably over the years. For his career Dirk averages 2.6 assists per game. That is very good and if you watch any of Dirk's games you would know that he is very good at getting his teammates involved.

2nd) When Dirk has the ball in his hands on the 3 point line, mid range, close range, he commands attention, he commands double teams, thereby making his teammates better around him, giving players like Jason Kidd, Jason Terry, etc. clear shots. He can score from anywhere on the floor, something Blake Griffin cannot do. Dirk is shooting 36.7% from 3 point range this year and will go down in history as hands down the big man with the most distance. Blake outside of 13-15 feet is suspect at best and his most effective range is just like that of Dwight Howard, layups and dunks and close range stuff are his things.

3rd) Dirk at 7 feet tall and as a Power Forward also happens to be one of the best free throw shooters in the league shooting at nearly 90%. It is usually a tactic to foul big men (i.e. Shaq) to send them to the line to prevent them from scoring an easy bucket. However, free throws are just as easy for this big man. Blake is abysmal from the line, shooting just 51.7%.

4th) Dirk is one of the best at creating his own shot throughout his career. Fade away, post up, perimeter, spot up, pick and roll, dribble and drive. He can do it all and with relative ease. Blake cannot create his own shot and gets a lot of help from his point guard and cleanup buckets in scoring.

Final verdict, it is asinine to think that Dirk is 1 dimensional, anyone who thinks so needs to actually start watching basketball

Raph12
04-21-2012, 03:16 PM
My knock on Blake has to do with the defensive end of the floor and his flopping... Other than that, he's a great prospect and a superstar in the making.

felixng2012
04-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Please stop posting. Dirk is way better than Blake Griffin and so is Kevin Love. Dirk is also not a one dimensional player at all. He is extremely talented offensively, is able to grab boards, and is not a bad defender.