PDA

View Full Version : Cain vs Lee

raidersrock99
04-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Watching that game last night it was one of the best pitching duels i have ever seen

cain 9 innings 2 hits 1 walk 4 k's 91 pitches-64 strikes

lee 10 innings 7 hits 0 walks 7 k's 102 pitches-81 strikes, 3 forced dp's

what amazes me most is how quickly both lee and cain worked throwing only 201 combined pitches. what are your thoughts on this game and where it ranks on the all time list of great pitching duels?

Pinstripe pride
04-19-2012, 02:01 PM
matt cain is good at baseball

sexicano31
04-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Both are great pitchers, but neither of the offenses did themselves any favors

Qwertys
04-19-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm just glad we locked Cain up long term as with Bumgarner

the_jon
04-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Cain would get so much more recognition on a team that could produce some run support.

ESaady
04-19-2012, 02:44 PM
I was at the game last night and a lot of fans were complaining about the lack of offense. I enjoyed the pitching just as much as I would have enjoyed an offensive explosion. It was an amazing game to be at IMO. I saw two premier pitchers duel it out, mowing people down, inducing double plays, and just keeping the respective opponent's offense at bay.

raidersrock99
04-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Cain would get so much more recognition on a team that could produce some run support.

Like the phillies? Jk

SFGiants4life
04-19-2012, 03:10 PM
I was at the game last night and a lot of fans were complaining about the lack of offense. I enjoyed the pitching just as much as I would have enjoyed an offensive explosion. It was an amazing game to be at IMO. I saw two premier pitchers duel it out, mowing people down, inducing double plays, and just keeping the respective opponent's offense at bay.

Those are what we would call Bandwagoners....i would take a pitching duel over a 10-8 game probably 9/10 times

giants73756
04-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Those are what we would call Bandwagoners....i would take a pitching duel over a 10-8 game probably 9/10 times

If I was at the ballpark I'd want to see some offense. When I'm at home and I can see the movement on pitches so much better I hope to see great pitching. At the park, I want to see runs.

edit: But no, you wouldn't catch me complaining at all about last night's game.

04-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Someone told me that Lee guy is good at baseball.

The Ooh Child
04-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Watching Lee's curveball almost made me cry a few times last night

otatop
04-19-2012, 03:56 PM

Very true.

He'd also get more recognition if ESPN etc. moved away from caring about a pitcher's W-L record as their main metric.

stupidmop
04-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Someone told me that Lee guy is good at baseball.

They weren't lying.

raidersrock99
04-19-2012, 04:37 PM
If bochy had theriot bunt with pill on 2nd or if pagan wasn't a slapdick we would be talking about Cains back to back complete game shutouts

The Ooh Child
04-19-2012, 04:46 PM
If bochy had theriot bunt with pill on 2nd or if pagan wasn't a slapdick we would be talking about Cains back to back complete game shutouts

I think the Phillies you have boys beat in the "our manager makes ******** moves" department

DerekRE_3
04-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Watching Lee's curveball almost made me cry a few times last night

It was absurd.

Lincecum4CY
04-19-2012, 05:18 PM

Or if they had put the hit and run play on in the 1st with pagan and melky on 1st and 3rd with no one out. Giants can't hit left handed pitching... they needed to play small ball. That 1st inning was pathetic.

But Lee and Cain last night? Oh my.

Run&Gun
04-19-2012, 06:27 PM
If I was at the ballpark I'd want to see some offense. When I'm at home and I can see the movement on pitches so much better I hope to see great pitching. At the park, I want to see runs.

edit: But no, you wouldn't catch me complaining at all about last night's game.

Exactly, when you're at the park unless you're in the right seat can't really see the movement can't appreciate pitching unless it's a high SO count. When you're at any sporting event always more fun to watch offense rather than defense.

Rad_Racing
04-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Still not better than Marichal and Spahn 50 years ago, best I saw ;)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SFN/SFN196307020.shtml

I was able to listen here and there on cbssportsline, it sounded like an amazing game to be at. I like the way baseball is going right now with great pitching and still a lot of great hitting sprinkled around.

BKLYNpigeon
04-19-2012, 07:41 PM
its was a great effort by both pitchers.

lol, please
04-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Watching that game last night it was one of the best pitching duels i have ever seen

cain 9 innings 2 hits 1 walk 4 k's 91 pitches-64 strikes

lee 10 innings 7 hits 0 walks 7 k's 102 pitches-81 strikes, 3 forced dp's

what amazes me most is how quickly both lee and cain worked throwing only 201 combined pitches. what are your thoughts on this game and where it ranks on the all time list of great pitching duels?

Best I have ever seen. The game flew by at an amazing rate, and I was at the edge of my seat throughout the whole game. It's unfortunate that Cain didn't get the W, but after back to back shutouts from Cain and one from the BZ Show, I feel like I am getting spoiled. It was frustrating watching so many RISP get stranded, but thankfully Melky came through in the end, what an exciting game! And what better way than tat to send the Phillies packing, til next time Phillies!
Go Giants!
Mets are next :drool:

leftymo
04-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Cain is one of the best pitchers in baseball and most of the country doesn't know it. I spoke to a yankees fan shocked at the cain deal, and purely statistically speaking Cain is probably better than Sabathia, but Yankees fans wouldn't know that.

BGeer091
04-29-2012, 01:56 PM
I am a Redsox fan out here on the East Coast. When I said that if Boston really wanted to get better then NY in a hurry they needed Matt Cain, or Kershaw. Most actually all but one person said hell no. Beckett, Lester> Cain, Kershaw and its not close. I just laughed at that. Beckett is my fav pitcher but even I know that Cain is way better then Beckett right now...