PDA

View Full Version : Could a Woman coach "high level" Mens Basketball?

Rivera
04-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Serious question

And by "high level" i mean NBA and/or a high level D1 NCAA college ball and be successful?

Would the pressure be to immense? Would there be an outrage of hate?

I know nacy liberman coaches in the DLeague but she can "hide" from the media while coaching the d league cause major networks dont pay attention to the NBA D-League.

But if a woman coached in the NBA or lets say Duke/UNC/Kentucky/ or even a wisconsin/florida could the woman be successful and or even survive the media fire storm that would follow?

Sadds The Gr8
04-19-2012, 01:57 PM
I think NCAA mens, but I don't know about NBA. The egos are just too huge and I don't know if players would take them seriously.

blastmasta26
04-19-2012, 02:01 PM
I just can't see some NBA players being able to respect and take orders from a woman coach.

justinnum1
04-19-2012, 02:02 PM
could they? sure. will it happen? no

Blitzbolt
04-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Pat Summit>Vinny

Rivera
04-19-2012, 02:05 PM
could they? sure. will it happen? no

Wanna provide more insight? Like will the nba players ego allow them to be coached by a women?

Could a woman survive in todays media age where every one of her moves will be scrutinized to the 10th degree without resigning or without her lashing out to the public?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Only a coach with small breasts and arse

eibbor
04-19-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm pretty sure Tenn asked Pat Summit to coach the mens team a couple different times, but she wanted to keep coaching the womens team.

So, it could have already happened but just didn't

BH-Sports
04-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Men are too sexist and egotistical. No way

EricU812
04-19-2012, 02:19 PM
It would be difficult. No doubt about it, but I'd even say it happens in our lifetime. Not sure who the coach would be, but I thought there was a D-league coach that was a woman.

I'd be interested what the reaction would be to womens coach in other sports. Baseball, Hockey, Football?

Or what the reaction be to an open homosexual male coach.

This is not me trying to start some riot, I'm really not sure what would happen.

Rivera
04-19-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm pretty sure Tenn asked Pat Summit to coach the mens team a couple different times, but she wanted to keep coaching the womens team.

So, it could have already happened but just didn't

But thats not the question

The question is: okay lets say pat did take the mens bball program at tennessee....could she have been successful? Would male players listen to her? Could she recruit? Could she surivie the media/twitter scrutiny world that we live in today?

PleaseBeNice
04-19-2012, 02:25 PM
No. I dont think the women could hold up and be emotionally stable all the time. Not saying the men coaches are but I think women would break much more

njnets
04-19-2012, 02:29 PM
NCAA yes, nba no.

the guys in the nba have too big of egos. they wouldnt listen to a female coach.

i could see it working in the ncaa. needs to be the correct situation though. not all of them would work. a strong and stable institution could work. also, the right players need to be on the team. a female coach could not be the coach of a calipari team with all of those egos. it would need to be a group of guys that are committed to playing NCAA ball.

eibbor
04-19-2012, 02:35 PM
But thats not the question

The question is: okay lets say pat did take the mens bball program at tennessee....could she have been successful? Would male players listen to her? Could she recruit? Could she surivie the media/twitter scrutiny world that we live in today?

No. I think she'd coach just fine, but recruits wouldn't go there and the players there might not be too happy either. It would be a circus. It's too bad though, she was an awesome coach.

dee279
04-19-2012, 02:36 PM
I think it depends if she is really Hott r not. If she fine, she will probably call out a play and no one will even know it once they get on the court because they was staring dazingly at her. If she ugly and dont take no ****, maybe. Very much doubt it doe.

utl768
04-19-2012, 02:39 PM
no because no nba player is going to take orders or respect a female coach as sexist as that is

Lakers + Giants
04-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Player's wouldn't respect her. . at all. If players don't even respect some of the coaches right now, they sure as **** wouldn't take orders from a woman. .

jam
04-19-2012, 05:30 PM
If she could recruit as well as calipari, absolutely.

CoffeeJanitor
04-19-2012, 05:44 PM
I want to say yes, but knowing how dumb a lot of the players are I have to say no as of now. In the future, maybe.

Master Mind
04-19-2012, 05:50 PM
No. It just don't mix. Steak would never coach Lions

Rivera
04-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Couldnt a womans coach whos also probably a "mother" recruit better than men? Cause at the end of the day a recruit is gonna make a decision based on what he wants and how his momma feels. A mom can relate better to another mom so therefore could actually be a better recruiter?

elizur
04-19-2012, 06:10 PM
No. I dont think the women could hold up and be emotionally stable all the time. Not saying the men coaches are but I think women would break much more

That is some crazy sexist stuff you are saying

To the answer of the question: yes she could ,but would not get the chance unfortunately.

raiderposting
04-19-2012, 06:10 PM
most coaches aren't even respected by their players. Imagine a woman getting on kobe and lebrons ***, or another superstar, this will never happen.

JWO35
04-19-2012, 06:18 PM
NCAA & NBA in my opinion....I mean half the men already coaching are complete idiots anyway. I'm sure a really good women coach can coach a "Men's" League and do as good or if not better than the average guy coaching in the Pac 12 in the NCAA or the Southwest division in the NBA

Kashmir13579
04-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Are nba players misogynistic?

nycsports2
04-19-2012, 06:24 PM
if respected yes

smith&wesson
04-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Problem is some ppl are still ignorant and sexist only they wont exactly come out and say that. But I would imagine those players giving a female coach a really hard time.

TrueFan420
04-19-2012, 07:10 PM
if anyone women can do its its eddie you saw what she did with the knicks