PDA

View Full Version : 90's Basketball

smood999
04-19-2012, 04:08 AM
Question..what star players today could have played in the 90's with the more physical style and the hand checking etc. and which players could not? y or y not?

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 04:11 AM
Duncan, KG, Kobe, Nash, JKidd.....and that's about it.

Everyone else is soft and flops.

xk4
04-19-2012, 04:26 AM
Rondo.

He takes a beating every night as it is.

ChrisSabo17
04-19-2012, 04:35 AM
Not many. NBA was awesome in the 90's. Thats about when
I quit following. I still watch a game here and there but not near the love I had for it in the mid to late 90's

3ballbomber
04-19-2012, 04:52 AM
I think many can. It's not that todays players are soft - it's the fact that the league makes them soft by making the game today less physical and allowing it to be more scoring orientated. The league baby's the elites today - so they can score their pts easier in turn sell more merchandising & boost ratings which help produce more revenue for the league.

STA_PLAR
04-19-2012, 05:00 AM
These guys would play jail ball if they had to. It's not there fault the game has changed so much. The refs and NBA ****ed it up.

One thing I dont like is the flopping and Vlade Divac and Reggie Miller (90's players) paved the way for the floppers of today. Such as Ginobli and Kobe (yes, he flops) and all the other floppers of the modern era.

However, I still think a lot of todays players would give the 90's guys a run for their money.

smood999
04-19-2012, 05:14 AM
i think these players couldve played in the 90s..but with how much success relative to the success theyre having now?...if u think about it in reverse...how much better would jordan have been if he played in this era with the different rules? im pretty much getting at which players would have the same success or more and which wouldnt due to the style of play and the differences in the rules?

these stars r use to playing how it is now so of course they complain over smaller things that have to do with physicality...but which players games would be effected negatively or positively?

naps
04-19-2012, 06:37 AM
A lot of them. League rule changes are not players' fault. If you have superstar talent you would be great in any era. Players play and model their game according to the competition and rules of their respective eras. If anyone say Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain wouldn't dominate todays league then that's just unfair. Dynamics of the game have changed a lot and I am sure it would look a lot different in 50 years from now because of technological advancements, revolution in medical fields, and various rules changes and edition. That doesn't mean today's superstars will be role players in 2060.

effen5
04-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Duncan kg kobe and ray Allen. That's it

akia83
04-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Soft or not, Pau Gasol is better than Charles Oakley, even in the 90's.
I mean it was tougher but it's still basket-ball, and I take a soft Lebron over Ron Artest too.

So, I can't see any superstars unable to play back in the 90's

smood999
04-19-2012, 08:43 AM
its not they cant play its if they would be as effective...for example the knock on lamarcus aldridge coming into the league was he doesnt like to bang down low...i watched an lsu team with big baby and tyrus thomas take him out the game by being physical...alot of this is said about euro player as well...u cant deny todays guards have it easier than the guards of the 90s hence some ppls feeling that jordan would be even better today than he was then...it can have the same effect in reverse....

everybody can play if u can play bball u can play regardless of when...but just like euro ball is different and not every nba player can succeed in europe and vice versa...the 90s game was different not to the same extreme but different still that it could have an effect on how effective a player may be...its harder to blow by ur defender when they can actually put their hands on u...u gotta think about it in terms of that...

smood999
04-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Soft or not, Pau Gasol is better than Charles Oakley, even in the 90's.
I mean it was tougher but it's still basket-ball, and I take a soft Lebron over Ron Artest too.

So, I can't see any superstars unable to play back in the 90's

yes but couldnt oakleys physical style take gasol out of the game...players today r criticized cause they arent physical and can be taken out of the game if u put a body on them...gasol may be more skilled but maybe oakley was more suited to play then...

or look at it from a defensive perspective...as far as big men go it would be harder to defend the post with the offensive big man able to be alot more physical than now...on the flip side it would help the guards now if they could play defense like they did then...

Jumi
04-19-2012, 10:53 AM
I think once you eliminate the players who are just "great" the list shortens a bit. Dirk's game would be affected in the 90's. So would many of the quicker guards like TP. I think Westbrook and Melo would thrive in the 90's though. Melo in particular!! Can u imagine Melo vs Pippen!!! Knicks vs. Bulls would be must see tv to the tenth level!!!

Chronz
04-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Duncan, KG, Kobe, Nash, JKidd.....and that's about it.

Everyone else is soft and flops.

Kidd is a star player today?

If you mean players who were once stars then you have a really short list.

PurpleJesus
04-19-2012, 05:27 PM
I think once you eliminate the players who are just "great" the list shortens a bit. Dirk's game would be affected in the 90's. So would many of the quicker guards like TP. I think Westbrook and Melo would thrive in the 90's though. Melo in particular!! Can u imagine Melo vs Pippen!!! Knicks vs. Bulls would be must see tv to the tenth level!!!

no it wouldnt, cause that Bulls roster would slaughter the current Knicks roster.

Blitzace137
04-19-2012, 07:33 PM
no it wouldnt, cause that Bulls roster would slaughter the current Knicks roster.

90's bull roster would have slaughtered any team right now same can be said about the knicks 90's roster they would run right through the current heats and Bulls rosters :injury:

quade36
04-19-2012, 08:13 PM
90's bull roster would have slaughtered any team right now same can be said about the knicks 90's roster they would run right through the current heats and Bulls rosters :injury:

Add the Pacers, Suns, Trail Blazers, Jazz, Rockets and Supersonics to the list of teams that would dominate in today's day.

Iodine
04-19-2012, 08:16 PM
I find almost all "nostalgia" trips saying basketball was better when x happened are rooted in fallacies, so really all I want to say is that anything is better than those knicks-heat games in the late 90's. Make me want to shank my eyes out