PDA

View Full Version : Saturday's Starter

craigerlee
04-18-2012, 11:33 PM
TORONTO -- The choice is down to either top prospect Drew Hutchison or journeyman Jesse Chavez for the fifth starterís spot in the Toronto Blue Jaysí starting rotation, and the decision may not come until later this week.
Sportsnet (http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2012/04/18/blue_jays_fifth_starter_drew_hutchinson_jesse_chav ez/)

Who should the Jays start? I imagine most will say Hutchison, as they should. Sounds like whoever gets this start will be here all of May too since Mcgowan is likely out till then. I posted a poll just to see if any thinks that Hutchison isn't ready.

bomber0104
04-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Please make it Hutchison.. letting Chavez start will be the JoJo, Eveland situation all over again. We can't be throwing games away this early in the season. I know this isn't supposed to be our year to compete but anything can happen and you don't want to regret wasting these games later in the season

Toxeryll
04-18-2012, 11:45 PM
I dont know why Chavez was being considered all of the sudden. This guy isnt a starter and hes horrible as a reliever. I wanna see Hutchison come up but again we'll be wasting an option if we send him back down and hes most likely not ready. I say we trade for a starter tomorrow.

2009mvp
04-18-2012, 11:48 PM
I can't make that call since I have absolutely no idea how ready Hutchison is. On the surface him having something like 20 career innings above A-ball would kinda lead me to believe he isn't, but it certainly wouldn't be unheard of for him to make the leap anyways. I think Chavez gets the call, though I doubt he's here long.

WhatSayYou
04-19-2012, 12:08 AM
I obviously want Hutchison to start, but most likely Chavez

Sanyo
04-19-2012, 12:30 AM
Hutch is too early. Doesnt have enough experience in Double A, though technically he could even be in Triple A (in normal circumstances except the Jays dont have a normal Triple A team).

Should technically be Carreno again or maybe Chad Jenkins or they should have maybe considered Luis Perez as well. Eventually you gotta give these guys a chance to see if you can increase their trade value cause Jenkins in Double A is really worth almost nothing. I would save Hutchison for a august/september call-up. He'll definitely be a starter for 2013 so no need to rush him. For some reason I dont see McGowan throwing a ton of innings for the Jays this year...but hey if Hutch gets the chance, I'll be fine with it, maybe he'll surprise us...

meh never mind Carreno is out, started today.

bomber0104
04-19-2012, 03:19 AM
yeah that Carreno start today was really questionable.. he was the option that makes the most sense

ILDD
04-19-2012, 07:43 AM
I obviously want Hutchison to start, but most likely Chavez

Exactly this.

Krylian
04-19-2012, 09:44 AM
yeah that Carreno start today was really questionable.. he was the option that makes the most sense

I guess not to the Jays.

JMac4PM
04-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Let Hutch come up and get his feet wet at the big league level. No pressure would be on him as he knows for sure that it is only a short term thing. If he gets lit up in his first couple of starts then send him down and bring up Carreno/Chavez.

craigerlee
04-19-2012, 10:18 AM

Seeing as Mcgowan is out until June, I think they want this starter to be there for a while, that's why I think Hutch will get it because they want someone that has a chance to be here until June and possibly the season.

GrumpyOldMan
04-19-2012, 10:41 AM
The curiosity factor has me wanting Hutch in. I just dont know if he is ready for such a jump.
I like the Perez idea though.

1hardcore
04-19-2012, 10:46 AM
If Luis Perez can become a starter i'm all for it!

He hasn't allowed a run ever since the start of spring training !!!!:rolleyes:

lexecutioner
04-19-2012, 11:16 AM
My birthday wish this saturday would be to see Hutchinson take it and to run away with that 5th spot much like how Hendo did last year.

and as for Perez he is lights out right now in the pen i dont want to mess it up, besides he is no more than a 2 pitch pitcher and is more suited as is on the pen

adid727
04-19-2012, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't mind if hutchinson makes one start this season. Then send him down to AA to increase his durability. He should be ready to throw 200 innings if the jays want him to be a regular at the ML level.

the_jon
04-19-2012, 12:26 PM
this man (http://www.thejerryjuice.com/images/blog/jesse-chavez.jpg)

Sanyo
04-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Considering Hutch started in Mid A ball at Lansing last year, it would be an incredible jump if he makes it to the Majors to start this Saturday. Jumping 4 levels within one year (well skipping Triple A) is almost unheard off. If he pulls it off, more power to him. He's pitching against KC and Baltimore the next two starts. His 1st big challenge will be Texas in early May for his third start and how he handles them...if he can do reasonable well pitching in Texas, then more power to him. I would love for him to stick and Im already penciling him in for the 2nd half with the Jays, I personally would like for him to atleast throw 50 innings or so before making the jump up to the Majors. Even Alvarez pitched 88 innings before making the jump, but maybe he's mature enough to do so...

mtf
04-19-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm not trying to insult everyone, but it seems like everyone here is a pro scout with their idea's of how not to ruin the development of Hutchison.

Henderson Alvarez, for comparison, started 2011 in Single-A Dunedin and jumped to Double-A New Hampshire early in the season, where he pitched in 15 games. All of this shortly after turning 21 years old. As we all know, he was called up to Toronto and played out the final 2 months of the season at the big league level where he's since stayed.

It doesn't seem as though Henderson Alvarez suffered from some impatience within the organization. John Farrell was talking about how great Drew Hutchison was and how he felt he could have potentially broke camp with the team this season. He may get an opportunity due to an injury to McGowan and a vacancy in the starting rotation, but it doesn't mean he isn't ready or that it'll ruin his development.

I'm excited to see Hutchison get a chance, assuming it is he who is called up to fill the roster spot. A rotation of Romero, Morrow, Alvarez, Drabek and Hutchison would be very interesting and fun to watch. The more competition in the rotation, the better it is for the team.

bartron_44
04-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Considering Hutch started in Mid A ball at Lansing last year, it would be an incredible jump if he makes it to the Majors to start this Saturday. Jumping 4 levels within one year (well skipping Triple A) is almost unheard off. If he pulls it off, more power to him. He's pitching against KC and Baltimore the next two starts. His 1st big challenge will be Texas in early May for his third start and how he handles them...if he can do reasonable well pitching in Texas, then more power to him. I would love for him to stick and Im already penciling him in for the 2nd half with the Jays, I personally would like for him to atleast throw 50 innings or so before making the jump up to the Majors. Even Alvarez pitched 88 innings before making the jump, but maybe he's mature enough to do so...

If Hutchison is the best we have to offer, then he should get the call. Screw saving an option, bring up the person with the best chance to succeed. the AL East is going to be a dog fight this year, so every game is going to matter.

However, using Perez is a very interesting idea. I know he didn't do as well last year as starter as he did in the bullpen, but he looks MUCH better this year then he did last year. He was touching 95 last night, with a solid breaking ball, and decent change up almost 10 mph slower then his fastball that was pretty effective. I don't know if he can keep that up for 6 or 7 innings, but he did shut down the Indians opening day for 4 innings, so he already stretched out a bit...He only threw 20 pitches last night in his 2 innings, and he has only thrown 25 pitches since April 10 so I wouldn't say it would be impossible for him to give us 5+ innings on Saturday. We are carrying 8 relievers right now, so it actually makes the most sense to me to just let Perez start these games for us. He was a starter pretty much his
whole career , including 12 starts between AAA and the big leagues last year.

Perez actually has good minor league numbers (better then Romero's), he has just only gotten to make 4 starts at the big league level, so he hasn't had the time to prove himself. He was actually pretty good last year in his short time as a starter if you dig into the numbers more then just his overall ERA though. He had 1 bad start that blew his numbers out of whack against the Red Sox...
but take away that terrible start where Farrell left him in WAY too long, and his ERA was 3.93 as a starter.

1-OAK 6IP 0 ER
2-TB 5IP 2 ER
3-BAL 5IP 5 ER

Pretty respectable imo...especially for a rookie.

jaysforever
04-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Would be neat to see Hutch. Also may light a fire under McGuire a bit...in fact might have already with the strong performance by him last night. They may throw us a curveball and give Chavez a chance.

DeRozan10
04-19-2012, 02:10 PM
I gotta believe it will be Hutch. Considering McGowan is still about 6 weeks away, I just cant see them giving that many starts to a guy like Jesse Chavez.

BlueJayFanDan
04-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Would love to see Hutch, but not sure he is ready. I do love that man though and his time will come. My new man crush is Evan Crawford. I want him to start. He is awesome.

the_jon
04-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Reverse hitler stache > top prospects