PDA

View Full Version : nba officiating

bad0210
04-18-2012, 11:22 PM
:mad:it almost seems like the officials control the outcomes of these games. this is the worst officiating ever this year.

Meatmypet
04-18-2012, 11:28 PM
You sound mad that your team lost to a bad call.

ManRam
04-18-2012, 11:38 PM
NBA officiating is always so awful when my teams loses. NBA officiating is fine when they win.

That's how it works with most fans. They're humans, they do the best they can and they do a better job than you or I could. It is what it is. It's a tough sport to officiate...and we get the advantage of instant replays, slow mo and multiple looks. They do not...

eibbor
04-18-2012, 11:39 PM
:mad:it almost seems like the officials control the outcomes of these games. this is the worst officiating ever this year.

They do and have for a longggggggg time.

Blitzbolt
04-18-2012, 11:39 PM
I agree but this year has been extra bad.

bad0210
04-18-2012, 11:44 PM
im not mad just about my team. i watch just about every game available every night. not just the losing team but the team that pulls the win out gets ridiculous calls. its not just one or two a game but several.

NYKnicks4511
04-18-2012, 11:52 PM
http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read

doesn't surprise me. donaghy has no reason to lie, and much of what he has claimed carries at least some significance imo.

eibbor
04-19-2012, 12:00 AM
http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read

doesn't surprise me. donaghy has no reason to lie, and much of what he has claimed carries at least some significance imo.

and let's be honest... If even 25% of what he said is true.......

BigBlueCrew
04-19-2012, 12:05 AM
NBA officiating is always so awful when my teams loses. NBA officiating is fine when they win.

This isn't true, win or lose NBA officiating is the worst of the big three sports. Sure they have their good moments, but like the saying goes, even the sun shines on a dog's butt once in a while. Maybe if these old bums cant keep with the action they need to increase the number of refs or come up with a better solution.

I see them reviewing stupidest of situations -- whether the player's foot was on the 3 pt line, whether the shot beat the buzzer, who the ball went off off etc etc when they are STANDING RIGHT THERE?!?! what the hell are they watching???

beasted86
04-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Officiating is crappy in the NBA... you have to get over it though and just try and enjoy the game.

Some games it's so biased and lopsided... officials have all but given up on calling traveling, moving screens, and other rules properly. I mean has any fan here actually watched a player take a free throw that didn't have a lane violation? Why even have the rule?

bad0210
04-19-2012, 12:11 AM
the worst i seen this year was when kevin love stomped on luis scolas face right in front of the official and no call. you could see the whole side of his face was red the rest of the game. ouch!

NYKnicks4511
04-19-2012, 12:12 AM
and let's be honest... If even 25% of what he said is true.......

Exhibit A: Sacramento vs. LA series in '02
Exhibit B: Steve Javie's irrational hatred for Allen Iverson (spanning his whole damn career)
Exhibit C: Dick Bavetta's favorable calls towards weaker teams, or teams that are losing by a large margin. Seriously, I can't be the only one who notices this, many officials seem to do this. It's either something isn't right with the way NBA handles officials (plausible theory...), or they just can't remain objective throughout 48 minutes in which case they should be canned.

This won't go away anytime soon, because when Stern steps down that joke Silver is the commish. Eh...

Edit: Also I think the best way to counteract all the flopping and b/s calls is to reinstate hand-checking.

eibbor
04-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Let's be honest, there is a foul on EVERY play somewhere on the court... Just like the NFL, there is a hold on EVERY play... They get to pick and choose calls whether it is the nba or nfl or whatever. I am ok with stuff not called that doesn't effect the game, but when they CHOOSE to call the ticky tack stuff when games matter, ie 4th qtr... That is when it's ********...
either call everything correctly or at least keep it consistent throughout the game. A foul or hold in a first quarter should be the same in a 4th quarter.

Am I wrong?

eibbor
04-19-2012, 12:16 AM
Exhibit A: Sacramento vs. LA series in '02
Exhibit B: Steve Javie's irrational hatred for Allen Iverson (spanning his whole damn career)
Exhibit C: Dick Bavetta's favorable calls towards weaker teams, or teams that are losing by a large margin. Seriously, I can't be the only one who notices this, many officials seem to do this. It's either something isn't right with the way NBA handles officials (plausible theory...), or they just can't remain objective throughout 48 minutes in which case they should be canned.

This won't go away anytime soon, because when Stern steps down that joke Silver is the commish. Eh...

Let's not forget Timmy D with 2 T's off da bench...

Call it the same thru 4 quarters!

bad0210
04-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Let's be honest, there is a foul on EVERY play somewhere on the court... Just like the NFL, there is a hold on EVERY play... They get to pick and choose calls whether it is the nba or nfl or whatever. I am ok with stuff not called that doesn't effect the game, but when they CHOOSE to call the ticky tack stuff when games matter, ie 4th qtr... That is when it's ********...
either call everything correctly or at least keep it consistent throughout the game. A foul or hold in a first quarter should be the same in a 4th quarter.

Am I wrong?

i agree. its bad when a team has 16 fouls shots in the first half and the other team has 2.

xk4
04-19-2012, 12:27 AM

All we can do is hope our teams have better story-lines than the Heat this year.

eibbor
04-19-2012, 12:32 AM
i agree. its bad when a team has 16 fouls shots in the first half and the other team has 2.

It's even worse when the difference happens in the 4th quarter. :)

Htownballa1622
04-19-2012, 12:42 AM
im tired of seeing chris paul flop his way out of stuff...
also. dirk. #### is trash.

bad0210
04-19-2012, 12:57 AM

i agree. 95% of the game chris paul is chatting with the refs. ive never seen a player talk so much with the refs.

ManRam
04-19-2012, 01:24 AM
This isn't true, win or lose NBA officiating is the worst of the big three sports. Sure they have their good moments, but like the saying goes, even the sun shines on a dog's butt once in a while. Maybe if these old bums cant keep with the action they need to increase the number of refs or come up with a better solution.

I see them reviewing stupidest of situations -- whether the player's foot was on the 3 pt line, whether the shot beat the buzzer, who the ball went off off etc etc when they are STANDING RIGHT THERE?!?! what the hell are they watching???

I don't disagree that it's the worst...I said it was the hardest to officiate, and since it's the hardest to officiate that would insinuate it has the most problems.

They blow TONs of calls...the problem: there are so many judgement calls and 50-50 calls all the time, and those rarely happen in other sports.

I just think in the long run those bad calls even out and fans selectively remember the bad and forget the times their team benefited. I don't think, in the long run, it ever blatantly favors one team unfairly. :shrug:

xk4
04-19-2012, 01:25 AM
I feel like Martin Scorsese could make an awesome movie about NBA reffing.

if only there were some violent murders or something

setman2000
04-19-2012, 02:28 AM
It's not that there is a foul on every play it's the PHANTOM calls these idiots make that change games. Calling flops, ticky-tack nothing plays and just complete non-fouls where a player isn't touched just sinks the NBA for fans. A phantom call on Andre Miller when he cleanly stripped the ball from Chris Paul tonight solidified the game for the Clippers instead of the Nuggets having a wide open break away to tie the game with 13 seconds left.

NBA Refs suck and are probably corrupt (some of them)

Htownballa1622
04-19-2012, 03:13 AM
It's not that there is a foul on every play it's the PHANTOM calls these idiots make that change games. Calling flops, ticky-tack nothing plays and just complete non-fouls where a player isn't touched just sinks the NBA for fans. A phantom call on Andre Miller when he cleanly stripped the ball from Chris Paul tonight solidified the game for the Clippers instead of the Nuggets having a wide open break away to tie the game with 13 seconds left.

i caught that one.

TeamSeattle
04-19-2012, 03:35 AM

If I see a Heat/OKC Finals I'm gonna barf. You already know the NBA will fix that in the playoffs just to see how much money they can make. I'd honestly like to see a surprise team like the Mavs last year who outplayed even the officiating and surprise people in the playoffs.

hornetsfansydne
04-19-2012, 04:01 AM
Ok how many people on this site have ever refereed a game in their lives?? It is incredibly difficult as has been stated above by Manram i believe. I dont often post on these forums just read the ideas and such but when I do it is always backing up the referees as the majority of people on this site are clueless as to how hard it is. We as fans have the benefit of slo-mo and instant replays whereas the refs have none. The game is incredibly fast and it is really hard to see somethings but I think 99% of the time the referees get the call correct.

However, they do get a few calls wrong, but they are HUMANS!! Name one player out there who did not make a mistake?? A turnover, a missed shot, etc. They are all mistakes as well.

Referees are taught many things that many fans don't understand. I remember there was a bit of a fuss over one referee saying to the T'Wolves coach a couple of years ago that he would get one back for him after a dodgy call. Well funnily enough we are actually taught to say things like that to keep the coach on your side so you don't have him blow up. So just because you don't understand what has happened doesn't mean the ref is wrong.

If anyone has any questions about a call in particular that happened, I am happy to give an answer if I can and if the referee was blatantly incorrect I will admit it.

hornetsfansydne
04-19-2012, 04:06 AM

The problem with flops is not the refereeing, it is the players. Are you saying a ref goes "hey he flopped, better call a foul on him"? It sure looks like contact and the non-flopper did something illegal so the ref would go with his judgement and make the call that is quite often incorrect and could have maybe been a no-call.

The refs will not fix the flopping issue, it will come from higher up with some form of rule change based on video evidence I think.

JARVIS123
04-19-2012, 04:12 AM
it's just been a bad year for the refs. 2 bad they dont have tecs for the refs when they make horrible calls.:)

Htownballa1622
04-19-2012, 09:19 AM
The problem with flops is not the refereeing, it is the players. Are you saying a ref goes "hey he flopped, better call a foul on him"? It sure looks like contact and the non-flopper did something illegal so the ref would go with his judgement and make the call that is quite often incorrect and could have maybe been a no-call.

The refs will not fix the flopping issue, it will come from higher up with some form of rule change based on video evidence I think.

What I am eating is i'm tired of players that I mentioned getting handed calls .

Paul flopped numerous times last night and the refs did a good job not immediately calling every one. It just seems to me that they tend to mess up calls in favor of players like cp3 or dirk too often.

I saw dirk blatantly push Goran dragic and kidd push Patterson on rebounds in the air.

Courtney lee backs off of dirk, dirk then swings his elbows at lee creating the contact and he gets the call. Its complete bs.

kdspurman
04-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Way to overcome bad reffing is to hit your shots, and keep attacking. And hope your coach can light a fire under their ***. Most times they can be awful one half and with the right amount of complaining, it'll balance out in the next half.

Htownballa1622
04-19-2012, 10:49 AM
When I talk officiating, i'm talking about late game, game deciding calls. U can't overcome bad officiating most times at the end of the game. You just end up losing.

Shmontaine
04-19-2012, 11:24 AM
lockout has created sub par basketball this season across the board, and sub par officiating...

these guys get tired just like anyone else...

ROBOT OFFICIALS, make it happen...

MrfadeawayJB
04-19-2012, 11:59 AM
officiating has been awful this year. It seems like the refs are rusty from the lockout lol. I cant beleive the Grizz (an inside team) has been consistently being outshot from the FT line the past few games. When the other team shoots 20 more FT's than you its tough to win

Stinkyoutsider
04-19-2012, 12:46 PM
The NBA is soft now? All of these touch fouls on players they used to not call 15 years ago.

I'm SO SICK of flops! They should start giving out technicals for that. Do that and take away these touch fouls and the refs may have a better chance of calling a decent game...

iliketurtles24
04-19-2012, 12:54 PM
=bad

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 12:54 PM
There's 2 types of foul calls that I hate seeing these idiot refs make.

One, is the anticipation foul, where if the offensive player is in prime position to kinda sorta get fouled going to the basket, but doesn't really get touched at all, the refs still call it because they anticipate that there's bound to be contact on that drive to the basket.

Second one is if the player is actually fouled on a shot attempt, the zebras tend to swallow their whistle, but as soon as they see the shot missed and the ball bounce off the rim, then and only then will they call a foul. (BAILOUT!)

IBleedPurple
04-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Anyone see CP3 hanging on the bicep of a Nuggets player last night, while the Nuggets player gets called for a foul? Hilarious, and sad at the same time.

bad0210
04-19-2012, 05:05 PM
What I am eating is i'm tired of players that I mentioned getting handed calls .

Paul flopped numerous times last night and the refs did a good job not immediately calling every one. It just seems to me that they tend to mess up calls in favor of players like cp3 or dirk too often.

I saw dirk blatantly push Goran dragic and kidd push Patterson on rebounds in the air.

Courtney lee backs off of dirk, dirk then swings his elbows at lee creating the contact and he gets the call. Its complete bs.

my thoughts exactly. or how about how long the ref held the ball so mavs could substitute. i forgot what quarter it was but it was ridiculous and i thought it was funny when mchale sub in bud because they were taking so long.

thawv
04-19-2012, 05:08 PM
It's not that they are bad refs in itself. This kind of stuff has been going on for years, and will continue to go on. Simple rule........If you can wager on sports, you can damn well be sure that the outcome, or margin of victory is quite often not going to be decided by the players. This is not a secret, nor is it even remotely surprising. Where there's money, there's corruption. It's that simple.

Wade>You
04-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Ask Knicks and Heat fans how they felt about the officiating against their team and take a look at how the playoff seeding played out.

Is it safe to say that they would have different seeding position if the results of all those poorly officiated games were different?

Or was it David Stern's plan all along to have them meet up in the first round to re-create the rivalry between these two teams?

Bulls played 26 games w/o Rose and still managed to finish w/ the #1 seed along with that free pass to the ECF for the 2nd year in a row.

David Stern has a plan for every team.

xk4
04-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Ask Knicks and Heat fans how they felt about the officiating against their team and take a look at how the playoff seeding played out.

Is it safe to say that they would have different seeding position if the results of all those poorly officiated games were different?

Or was it David Stern's plan all along to have them meet up in the first round to re-create the rivalry between these two teams?

Bulls played 26 games w/o Rose and still managed to finish w/ the #1 seed along with that free pass to the ECF for the 2nd year in a row.

David Stern has a plan for every team.

Now you're just being paranoid. Even when the ref was caught point shaving it didn't necessarily change the outcome of the game

Example: if the Lakers were up by 6 points, he would award the other team meaningless last minute free throws to cover the point spread. The Lakers still win, he still makes makes a lot of money by betting on the Lakers.

The refs have the power to alter games. I completely believe some of them have done it before, maybe even this year. But you can't skew a whole season.

The Bulls finished with the #1 seed because they play fantastic team defense. You can't fake that

mzgrizz
04-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Anyone see CP3 hanging on the bicep of a Nuggets player last night, while the Nuggets player gets called for a foul? Hilarious, and sad at the same time.

The officiating was horrible for last night's game
NBA must really want Blake Griffin in the Finals
We most likely will draw them in the first round and I CAN wait to see how blatantly they will favor the BlakeShow......I'm already nauseated at the anger to come:mad:

Sssmush
04-20-2012, 02:28 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDphyrGiaJE

setman2000
04-20-2012, 07:47 AM

Actually I think flopping would be one of the easiest things to fix in the NBA - just do what the NHL did. The FLOPPER GETS THE FOUL and maybe the 2nd one is a T or flagrant and you start awarding FT's.

Problem solved.

Sssmush
04-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Actually I think flopping would be one of the easiest things to fix in the NBA - just do what the NHL did. The FLOPPER GETS THE FOUL and maybe the 2nd one is a T or flagrant and you start awarding FT's.

Problem solved.

I think it's probably sufficient, and more realistic, to simply not award fouls to players who flop, just let the other players keep playing.

If you consistently decline to call the foul on flop situations, then pretty soon they'll stop doing it because they're not getting the reward from it. Calling technicals or fining players and all that just isn't realistic, it's too subjective. But, say, if the player flops and the offensive player just steps on his chest and dunks, and no foul is called, then soon the floppers will adjust or else be out of the league.

hornetsfansydne
04-21-2012, 02:45 AM

Problem solved.

Yes but how do you determine it is a flop? If you watch a play in real time from the position of the referee, they have to make a judgement call: foul or flop? They do not get the benefit from the numerous replays we get.

As for the penalty for flopping, I am unsure of the NBA's rule but FIBA has a team warning for the first instance then a technical foul can be called with the penalty of the technical being two free throws followed by possession of the ball at halfway - this is a steep enough penalty I think

hornetsfansydne
04-21-2012, 02:53 AM

Admittedly I haven't watched the game, too difficult to get NBA games in Australia but I can have a guess as to what happened. Im guessing you are a rockets fan?? Tell me of times when the Rockets players did illegal things to the Mavs? I would assume that the ref just missed these things or in his/her view they didn't disadvantage the Rockets - just a guess though.

Unfortunately, referees are human and we do make mistakes. One blatant play I'm thinking of is the putback jam that Griffen had over Pau a couple of weeks ago. In my opinion that is more of a foul than the one were we apparently pushed off him later in the game. Things happen in the game, players miss shots and referees miss calls. It just happens the referees get scrutinized a lot more than players as it can affect the outcome of the game, it is just something we have to live with

Htownballa1622
04-21-2012, 03:19 AM
Admittedly I haven't watched the game, too difficult to get NBA games in Australia but I can have a guess as to what happened. Im guessing you are a rockets fan?? Tell me of times when the Rockets players did illegal things to the Mavs? I would assume that the ref just missed these things or in his/her view they didn't disadvantage the Rockets - just a guess though.

Unfortunately, referees are human and we do make mistakes. One blatant play I'm thinking of is the putback jam that Griffen had over Pau a couple of weeks ago. In my opinion that is more of a foul than the one were we apparently pushed off him later in the game. Things happen in the game, players miss shots and referees miss calls. It just happens the referees get scrutinized a lot more than players as it can affect the outcome of the game, it is just something we have to live with

i admit they blow calls in favor for the rockets at times but it doesn't ever seem to happen at the end of games which is my main point.

i hate seeing scola flop or things of that nature but you don't see him getting the call in the fourth like dirk or cp3. understandably its because he's not a superstar but i just hate flopping in general. it disgusts me even if the player I'm a fan of does it.

i understand refs see it live and it's difficult but they blow many late game calls that affect outcomes of games many times.

hornetsfansydne
04-21-2012, 03:47 AM
i admit they blow calls in favor for the rockets at times but it doesn't ever seem to happen at the end of games which is my main point.

i hate seeing scola flop or things of that nature but you don't see him getting the call in the fourth like dirk or cp3. understandably its because he's not a superstar but i just hate flopping in general. it disgusts me even if the player I'm a fan of does it.

i understand refs see it live and it's difficult but they blow many late game calls that affect outcomes of games many times.

Yeah I can see where you are coming from and it is unfortunate that many calls late in the game do affect the game but there really isnt much that can be done. We can't review every call or the game will go for 6 hours! In my opinion the game is already too long with the number of timeouts that there are and that you can call them without the ball being dead but that is a different problem.

Unfortunately refs are human and we can't do much to change that

YoungOne
04-21-2012, 04:13 AM
I thought they are influencing games. But especially this season I noticed that they are just bad and making many mistakes on both ends, sometimes it goes for my team sometimes it goes against, just have to deal with it...

MarkieMark48
04-21-2012, 12:06 PM
People remember all the bad calls against their team, and none that are in favor of their team.

new york blue
04-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Maybe the quality of officiating is suffering from the same things that have made this the ugliest NBA season I have ever seen--no time for practice, too many injuries, too many back2back2backs, etc.
The question is, how do you improve it. The obvious answers are:
1.) have more officials at the game
2.) pay better salaries so that you get better
officials.
3.) do better supervision and training.

I have no idea if any of these would actually work, but if you want to stop *****ing and think about improving it, those are the likely directions.

Anyone have any other ideas?