PDA

View Full Version : Should Amare Come off Bench?

*Superman*
04-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Stoudemire has been out of the rotation for a while with a bulging disk in his back, forcing the team to figure out a rotation of players that could find success without the Knicks' starting power forward. The Knicks have gone 8-4 without him, getting heavy contributions from Steve Novak and J.R. Smith off the bench. It has also allowed Carmelo Anthony to completely take over the offense with the first unit, playing the game in a fashion that has made him one of the best players in the NBA again.

Sure, Stoudemire has average 17.6 points, 8 rebounds and nearly a block and steal per game this season, but he needs to realize that the team could use him best as a reserve. He could still get huge minutes off the bench, but it would allow the offense to still flow through Anthony and give the second unit another great option. Stoudemire could certainly help to spread the floor for Novak and Smith to continue bombing from three-point range, possibly making the team even better.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/amare-stoudemire-needs-come-off-bench-york-knicks-225100028--nba.html

It was discussed during the Magic-Boston game too. I think it might make them better.

justinnum1
04-18-2012, 11:31 PM
he should be he wont

Cal827
04-18-2012, 11:44 PM
They should try... but even if Amar'e was willing to do what it takes if it got the team wins... Imagine the Backlash in NY media. They would eat him alive... and when I mean Eat him alive, I mean Eddy Curry Eat him Alive

clehmun
04-18-2012, 11:45 PM
If they want to ease him in by making him come off the bench for a couple of games, okay.
If they think this is a long term solution, forget it. He won't be happy doing it, and it makes no sense to pay someone 20 million a year to come off the bench.
If they feel Stoudemire doesn't fit well in the starting lineup, trade him.

knicks4life33
04-18-2012, 11:45 PM
there was a thread like this the other day in this forum and the knicks forum lol

knicks4life33
04-18-2012, 11:46 PM
he should be a starter btw the knicks were 6-1 when he went down under woodson

lakersfan01
04-18-2012, 11:48 PM
He absolutely should, but it absolutely won't happen. Amare wouldn't be cool with coming off the bench. Guys like Ginoboli and Terry are a rare breed that relish being the 6th man coming out swinging off the bench. Amare went to the Knicks because he wants to be the man. No way Melo would've wanted to go to the Knicks if Amare wasn't already there. Amare was the only star that had the balls to make his own path and play in front of a critical New York crowd on a team that has struggled mightily for the last 10 years.

eibbor
04-18-2012, 11:58 PM
It won't happen, but he should. Honestly, they should amnesty him after the season.

justinnum1
04-19-2012, 12:04 AM
It won't happen, but he should. Honestly, they should amnesty him after the season.

they already amnestied billups

LongIslandIcedZ
04-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Its too tough to say right now. I understand not messing with what is working, but I dont think the Knicks have a prayer at making noise in the playoffs if Amar'e isnt playing some great ball. A completely healthy Knicks team can make some noise in the playoffs. They could have a very outside shot of upsetting the Bulls and perhaps take a series with Miami to 7. The only way either of those things can happen IMO is if Amar'e is playing.

DragonJaii
04-19-2012, 12:14 AM
yes he should. knicks are playing well and their bench needs a goto scorer.

tmacmamba
04-19-2012, 12:48 AM
Just last season Amare was being talked about as the MVP before Melo got there, I think its time they trade him. Lets face it this is MELO's team, the Knicks should seek a trade with the Rockets for Luis Scola. Scola would really fit the team they have right now more so than Amare, and Amare would make the Rockets a legit contender.

justinnum1
04-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Just last season Amare was being talked about as the MVP before Melo got there, I think its time they trade him. Lets face it this is MELO's team, the Knicks should seek a trade with the Rockets for Luis Scola. Scola would really fit the team they have right now more so than Amare, and Amare would make the Rockets a legit contender.

who would trade for Amare?

tmacmamba
04-19-2012, 12:53 AM
who would trade for melo?

the Knicks should keep melo, and trade amare for depth. I think if they do that they would be right up there with the Heat, and Bulls.

justinnum1
04-19-2012, 01:04 AM
my bad, its late lol, i meant to say who would trade for amare lol, a bunch of teams would want melo

eibbor
04-19-2012, 01:17 AM
they already amnestied billups

You are right, I had forgotten.

Too bad, nobody will take that contract.

Sadds The Gr8
04-19-2012, 01:25 AM
his game isn't accustomed to coming off the bench.

naps
04-19-2012, 01:34 AM
This whole "Coming off the bench" thing is really overrated. I mean even if Amare comes of the bench he's gonna play the same number of minutes. Don't really think it's a big deal. Star players don't wanna come off the bench simply because of ego. Otherwise, it would never be an issue.

goNYgoNYgo
04-19-2012, 01:36 AM
you guys are nuts.

first off, if amare had to come off the bench he would. he wants to win. there's games where's he's had a few touches and when asked about it, he said he doesn't care about the touches or stats, its about the W.

second, amare was starting to look like his mvp self under woodson. he was hitting his jump shot, taking it to the rack, and playing good defense. they were playing good with melo and amare on the floor at the same time. like dude above said, they were 6-1 before amare went down under woodson. since amare left they are 9-4.

i think ppl r over reacting with him coming back. esp since melo got his game back.

but i think we are gonna be in good shape if amare plays well. there are stretches where melo is out, and jr is our 2nd option but he can't hit ****. perfect time for amare to run the show.

my biggest concern is pg though. with lin out, davis is gonna be our starting pg, but he's banged up too. if he's not ready for the playoffs, we are in trouble. that would be douglas is getting playing time and that means we're ****ed. that game tonight vs the nets showed how bad douglas has become. when he was on the floor, the flow stopped and we were just standing around.

anyways, relax, knicks will be fine.

tmacmamba
04-19-2012, 02:44 AM
my bad, its late lol, i meant to say who would trade for amare lol, a bunch of teams would want melo

Haha true, but i think there would be some teams interested in amare. Teams like the rockets, sixers who need a superstar. If no team takes his contract than him & melo better co-exist for the Knicks to be legit contenders.

JasonJohnHorn
04-19-2012, 01:39 PM
NY needs to put their best players on the court for 40 minutes a game in the post season, and Amare is one of those players who needs to be spending 40 minutes a game on the floor.

I can understand balancing minutes between Davis and Lin, if Lin can come back for the playoffs, but Chandler, Melo and Amare need to be on the floor as much as possible for this team to make a playoff run that is longer than four games.

the unknown
04-19-2012, 01:49 PM
amare should come off the bench the next 2 games.. and then start the last 2 games of the season to get his feet wet

blastmasta26
04-19-2012, 01:59 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/amare-stoudemire-needs-come-off-bench-york-knicks-225100028--nba.html

It was discussed during the Magic-Boston game too. I think it might make them better.
There was another thread on this earlier, but I think so. A slight reduction in minutes would prevent injuries to an extent, and it would allow him to be the leading scorer on the second unit. It would also keep the momentum of Melo going.

By the way, I think it's funny how your name is Superman (obviously a Dwight reference, but still) and your avatar is Batman.

JordansBulls
04-20-2012, 04:56 PM
You want a dude who is making 20 million a year for the next 3 seasons after this one coming off the bench?:speechless:

*Superman*
04-20-2012, 05:02 PM
There was another thread on this earlier, but I think so. A slight reduction in minutes would prevent injuries to an extent, and it would allow him to be the leading scorer on the second unit. It would also keep the momentum of Melo going.

By the way, I think it's funny how your name is Superman (obviously a Dwight reference, but still) and your avatar is Batman.

Haha. There are two reasons for that. One because I thought he was going to be traded by the deadline and if/when he leaves the Magic, I'm going to regret having my username. But I also recently beat one of the Batman games and growing up Batman was my favorite superhero by far.

mdm692
04-20-2012, 05:07 PM
I would laugh if he was traded back to phoenix. Highly unlikely but still would be interesting.

5ass
04-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Haha. There are two reasons for that. One because I thought he was going to be traded by the deadline and if/when he leaves the Magic, I'm going to regret having my username. But I also recently beat one of the Batman games and growing up Batman was my favorite superhero by far.

its his favorite superhero too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5anPX3vVD_s

haha i find this hilarious

Lake_Show2416
04-20-2012, 05:50 PM
its really hard to have 100 million come off the bench

ShadyOne
04-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Why is everyone so hung up with this idea of "OMG, you can't have that much money coming off the bench"?

Who cares? It really doesn't mean anything. He would still get his minutes, still get his shots, and honestly, it isn't about who starts, but who finishes. That would be the best for everyone. Would let him score more, and keep the offense moving better. As it stands right now, the offense stalls when Melo goes out, except for the times when Novak/Smith are hot.

Coming off the bench hasn't even done anything to diminish what guys like Ginobili or Terry have meant to their teams, or the credit they have gotten over their careers. Noone is going to say "man, Amare's 20 PPG are so weak and useless, the dude can't even start..." If it worked, and they ever win a ring, they would call him a key piece of that title, and still call him champion. He would still have his contract, and still have an impressive body of work over his career that would speak for itself..

Evolution23
04-20-2012, 06:53 PM
I don't think Ginobili or Terry are as talented as Amare.

Raph12
04-20-2012, 06:57 PM

Ginobli is more talented, just less athletic...

ShadyOne
04-20-2012, 07:13 PM

Ginobili is definitely as talented. If he didn't play on the Spurs, and wasn't such a team-oriented guy, who knows what kind of numbers he could have put up. Doubt anyone who faced him a lot over the years would argue with that..

Terry, no, not as talented, but does that matter? He was a guy who has definitely more than good enough to be a starter.

Like I said, does it really matter, as long as he gets his 30+ minutes, and his 15 or so shots? And allows him to be the clear #1 out there, except when him and Melo co-exist, probably mostly at the end of games. If he is coming off the bench, scoring his 20, and the team is winning, I would think he would be more than happy with that..

b@llhog24
04-20-2012, 07:51 PM

Gino is.

justinnum1
04-20-2012, 08:30 PM
He def should have come off the bench, what was woody thinking?