PDA

View Full Version : Celtics' Big Three nearly split at trade deadline

NYKnickFanatic
04-18-2012, 10:19 AM
NEW YORK – As the NBA trade deadline lurched into its final hour a month ago, league sources say the call Ray Allen long feared had come: Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers was on the line, telling him he had been traded. Allen had been sent to the Memphis Grizzlies for a package including O.J. Mayo and a draft pick, and the Celtics' Big Three had come to a most brusque ending.

For 20 minutes or so, Allen had to process the information. They traded me to Memphis? And yet, as the disappointment dissolved to anger, Rivers returned with a messenger’s nightmare: Never mind. The deal fell apart. Take a deep breath and let’s go back to work again.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--celtics--big-three-nearly-split-at-trade-deadline.html;_ylt=AnCZKKZnagx3H_uo1KP4wEa8vLYF

I think we all already knew they were almost split up at the deadline, but how would have both teams benefited if this traded did go down?

Memphis:
Conley
Allen
Gay
Randolph
Gasol

Celtics:
Rondo
Mayo
Pierce
Bass?
Garnett

I think that traded would have really helped out Memphis, adding a sharp shooter like Allen.

celtNYpatsHeels
04-18-2012, 10:24 AM
It also says that they were close to sending Pierce to the Nets for their 1st rounder and Okur (expiring contract).

If those two moves were made, then they would have been set up very nicely for the future.

Rondo, Bass' rights, Green's rights, Mayo's rights, and Avery Bradley plus a TON of cap space, plus THREE 1st round picks would be incredible.

That being said, the Celtics are legit condenders to make the Finals this year. Those trades that fell through could have been a blessing in disguise.

Avenged
04-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Memphis w/ Ray?? DAMN! Thankfully this didn't happen.

Antwerp_nr1
04-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Wow great trade for memphis, then again celtics get a young player who can develop under doc.

NYKnickFanatic
04-18-2012, 10:26 AM
It also says that they were close to sending Pierce to the Nets for their 1st rounder and Okur (expiring contract).

If those two moves were made, then they would have been set up very nicely for the future.

Rondo, Bass' rights, Green's rights, Mayo's rights, and Avery Bradley plus a TON of cap space, plus THREE 1st round picks would be incredible.

That being said, the Celtics are legit condenders to make the Finals this year. Those trades that fell through could have been a blessing in disguise.

Ah, you are right. I honestly didnt see that.

thekmp211
04-18-2012, 10:29 AM
memphis would have been too much after that. intriguing from both perspectives.

very glad the pierce move didn't happen, smh.

king4day
04-18-2012, 10:33 AM

The C's have no more ties to Green after the heart condition that nullified his contract. He's an UFA.

thekmp211
04-18-2012, 10:35 AM
The C's have no more ties to Green after the heart condition that nullified his contract. He's an UFA.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/7433745/boston-celtics-withdrew-qualifying-offer-jeff-green-now-ufa

indeed. i do see him re-signing on the cheap for a one year deal, to prove he's healthy.

DragonJaii
04-18-2012, 10:39 AM
nets vs knick woulda been good if the pierce move happened

kdspurman
04-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Memphis w/ Ray?? DAMN! Thankfully this didn't happen.

:phew:

Plus idk if Fisher can take playing with 3 former Celtics! lol Allen/Perk/Ray re-uniting.

king4day
04-18-2012, 10:41 AM
http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/7433745/boston-celtics-withdrew-qualifying-offer-jeff-green-now-ufa

indeed. i do see him re-signing on the cheap for a one year deal, to prove he's healthy.

He probably will. I read that he's still trains at their facility or something along those lines.
I'd like to see Phoenix make a run at him. I do think teams will offer him a decent amount of money so Boston may have to spend a bit to get him.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-18-2012, 10:43 AM

Plus idk if Fisher can take playing with 3 former Celtics! lol Allen/Perk/Ray re-uniting.

You mistakenly combined Memphis with OKC.

Tony Allen and Ray Allen would be Grizzlies. Fisher and Perk would be OKC.

NYKnickFanatic
04-18-2012, 10:45 AM

Lol what? If Allen were traded, he would have gone to Memphis.

Perk and Fisher are on the Thunder. Both Allen's would have been on the Grizzlies.

AceMan
04-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Damn, those Grizzlies would have been awesome.

celtNYpatsHeels
04-18-2012, 10:54 AM

Technically yes, but Green has been working out at Celtics facilities and also has been around the team. I think (and I have nothing to back this up) that there is already a deal in place to be signed over the summer.

Sinestro
04-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Grizzlies would have been in the top 4 teams after that trade...although only for a short amount of time

Blitzbolt
04-18-2012, 10:56 AM
OJ Mayo got traded like 10 times in this past deadline but it always fails at the last minute.

Also i don't like the trade as a Grizz fan I rather have Mayo.

celtNYpatsHeels
04-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Yeah Memphis would have been very tough if everyone was/is healthy

kdspurman
04-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Lol what? If Allen were traded, he would have gone to Memphis.

Perk and Fisher are on the Thunder. Both Allen's would have been on the Grizzlies.

Holy hell.... WTF is wrong with me :laugh2:

My bad. I just took an energy drink cause I'm tired as **** LMAO. Don't mind me folks

NYKnickFanatic
04-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Holy hell.... WTF is wrong with me :laugh2:

My bad. I just took an energy drink cause I'm tired as **** LMAO. Don't mind me folks

:laugh2: No sweat.

Shammyguy3
04-18-2012, 11:07 AM
OJ Mayo got traded like 10 times in this past deadline but it always fails at the last minute.

it's insane to rather want Mayo over Ray Allen. Allen on the Grizzlies... they would've come out of the West imo and had a serious shot at winning the whole thing. OJ Mayo has consistently been getting worse on a good team.

Corey
04-18-2012, 11:08 AM

And he's been on the Celtics bench for a majority of the home games this year, he's still staying in Boston, and he still goes to practices and talks with the team on a daily basis.

Everyone and their mother around here (reporters, 'sources', people close to the team) expect him to sign a 1 year deal.

Corey
04-18-2012, 11:10 AM
it's insane to rather want Mayo over Ray Allen. Allen on the Grizzlies... they would've come out of the West imo and had a serious shot at winning the whole thing. OJ Mayo has consistently been getting worse on a good team.

No, it really isn't.

Significantly younger, more athletic, can get out on the fast break with Rondo, can be a piece in the lineup long term.

You're making that statement in the short term. Think long term. He's much more attractive than Allen moving forward.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-18-2012, 11:11 AM
I kinda wished we did those deals:shrug:

Blitzbolt
04-18-2012, 11:12 AM

Allen>mayo but the chemistry and OJ is pretty much the backup point guard for us so he fits us better he fills in more holes.

And besides Arenas fix the 3 point problem we been having so I'm ok with it.

69centers
04-18-2012, 11:14 AM
I bet you any team that talked to Boston about a deal that got them Avery Bradley is kicking themselves right now. These reports are never 100% clear, so we don't really know if Bradley was included in any of these close deals.

Cal827
04-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Might as well given Memphis the title lol.. Z-bo and Gaslol kicking it out to gay and allen all day during the playoffs would just kill.

kenzo400
04-18-2012, 11:34 AM

lol, the funniest is that this year i remember the Memphis GM said "we aren't trying to trade Oj Mayo anymore, he has done a great job for us, and we hope he stays with the team" I guess just to make the situation better after the failed attempts with Indiana.

Then we find out that they tried to trade him again this year, lol too funny.

Sinestro
04-18-2012, 11:35 AM
No, it really isn't.

Significantly younger, more athletic, can get out on the fast break with Rondo, can be a piece in the lineup long term.

You're making that statement in the short term. Think long term. He's much more attractive than Allen moving forward.

I believe he meant for the Grizzlies, they don't have the cash to resign Mayo and they need 3 point shooters, Allen is as good as they come and Mayo and Rondo would be nice together... Its a shame this trade didn't happen I like it for both teams

Corey
04-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Fair enough...but regardless of team...I'm not giving up a young player with potential along with a draft pick for a two month rental of a 36 year old that brings nothing besides shooting and experience.

smith&wesson
04-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Woud have been great for memphis imo

mjt20mik
04-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Allen on the Grizz would be insane.

Giraffes Rule
04-18-2012, 02:07 PM
If I'm Boston, I like the Allen deal. Wouldn't have done the Pierce deal though. Unless it were a guaranteed top 5 pick, which is impossible to guarantee, then I'm not trading the one player that should spend the rest of his career in Boston.

topdog
04-18-2012, 02:07 PM
That would have been a really nice trade for Boston. No one sees them as a title contender any more so why not lock up a SG of the future who is athletic and fits with Rondo? Plus, you'd get the pick. Then, you do the Pierce deal for another pick and are in the thick of re-building. And Bass is around - also athletic and a pretty good PF.

corky831
04-18-2012, 02:08 PM
I bet you any team that talked to Boston about a deal that got them Avery Bradley is kicking themselves right now. These reports are never 100% clear, so we don't really know if Bradley was included in any of these close deals.

Well I remember reading one tweet from someone, maybe Woj, but the source said Avery Bradley was getting more attention than any of the Big 3 in possible deadline deals.

iliketurtles24
04-18-2012, 02:14 PM
hhaha

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-18-2012, 03:31 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=712542

Welcome to ProSportsDaily

And You're Welcome. ;)

NBA_Guru_51
04-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Thank yoiu sir. My fault, I didn't realize there was another thread. You guys are really on top of things around here, I love it!

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Thank yoiu sir. My fault, I didn't realize there was another thread. You guys are really on top of things around here, I love it!

ProSportsDaily IMO beats out any other forum out there. The NBA Forum is where it's at. Some really good discussions out here.

mjt20mik
04-18-2012, 03:46 PM
ProSportsDaily IMO beats out any other forum out there. The NBA Forum is where it's at. Some really good discussions out here.

You mean the Knick / Heat / Laker / Bull combined forum?

spreadeagle
04-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Those both would have been good moves for Boston

theheatles
04-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Deron, Pierce and Dwight could have won multiple titles if that came together

DragonJaii
04-18-2012, 05:25 PM
Deron, Pierce and Dwight could have won multiple titles if that came together

f that, they got gerald wallace.

The goods
04-18-2012, 05:37 PM
That memphis deal would've been nice mayo and rondo would've been a good combination,that nets deal is more about saving money and that draft pick is sure to be high what were the nets thinking trading away that pick? Atleast get someone young and on the upside of their career.

bagwell368
04-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Those both would have been good moves for Boston

Yes sir. Ainge lied, he said he wouldn't let his team fall apart, but instead he would deal away his older guys. Damn it. FA's don't historically go to Boston, this years FA class is meh. DA is going to have to extend KG's deal for huge money and hope he can use the slot better next year.

bagwell368
04-18-2012, 09:03 PM
If I'm Boston, I like the Allen deal. Wouldn't have done the Pierce deal though. Unless it were a guaranteed top 5 pick, which is impossible to guarantee, then I'm not trading the one player that should spend the rest of his career in Boston.

I don't care, he's already earned the most money of any Celtic. He doesn't "deserve" anything. The Celt fans deserve what makes them a winner the soonest, that's what we deserve.

bagwell368
04-18-2012, 09:03 PM
That would have been a really nice trade for Boston. No one sees them as a title contender any more so why not lock up a SG of the future who is athletic and fits with Rondo? Plus, you'd get the pick. Then, you do the Pierce deal for another pick and are in the thick of re-building. And Bass is around - also athletic and a pretty good PF.

Bass can opt out next year.

Confusious
04-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Boston should have done that trade imo.

Mr_Amaziing
04-18-2012, 09:58 PM
I would love if Jeff Green came back to Okc and be our 6 man

akesh99
04-18-2012, 10:23 PM

You already have arguably the best 6th man in the game..

raiderposting
04-18-2012, 10:48 PM
You already have arguably the best 6th man in the game..

pull off a skip bayless and start harden at PG? have green be the sixth man.

corky831
04-19-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm pretty happy the deal fell through because we may never had realized we had a hidden gem in Bradley

Corey
04-19-2012, 10:59 AM
I'm pretty happy the deal fell through because we may never had realized we had a hidden gem in Bradley

Disagree. They realized what they had in Avery when he filled in for Rondo earlier in the year (long before the deadline)

corky831
04-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Disagree. They realized what they had in Avery when he filled in for Rondo earlier in the year (long before the deadline)

I'm sorry, but if they traded Allen, Mayo would have been starting, and getting big minutes over Avery....that's just a fact. We never would have seen how well Avery would have been as a starter....and he did fill in well for rondo, but when he filled in for rondo, Allen and Pierce were the ones running the offense for the most part

Corey
04-19-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm sorry, but if they traded Allen, Mayo would have been starting, and getting big minutes over Avery....that's just a fact. We never would have seen how well Avery would have been as a starter....and he did fill in well for rondo, but when he filled in for rondo, Allen and Pierce were the ones running the offense for the most part

Says who? They're bringing Allen of the bench in favor of Bradley...Mayo is currently the 6th man and coming off the bench in Memphis....How can you make the claim that he would come in and start for Boston?

I dont think that's a given.

NYKnickFanatic
04-19-2012, 11:20 AM

I hope you are assuming Harden would be starting next year then.

corky831
04-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Says who? They're bringing Allen of the bench in favor of Bradley...Mayo is currently the 6th man and coming off the bench in Memphis....How can you make the claim that he would come in and start for Boston?

I dont think that's a given.

I think it's based off how DA has been trying to get his hands on Mayo for the past 2 yrs....and the only true reason why we were able to see significant minutes from Bradley was due to Allen's injury. Mayo has been healthy all year.

DR_1
04-19-2012, 04:02 PM
I would have liked to see those trades go through would have been an interesting shakeup to say the least.