PDA

View Full Version : What if they selected the Lottery this way?

ddent12
04-18-2012, 03:50 AM
This would solve everything.......All the lottery Teams should enter a 3 on 3 Tournament that will determine the draft order from winner down to the last team. Nowadays each team has at least 3 good players to enter. And there is an insentive to winning of course.

As i start to think about which 3 players teams would pick .... its really an even match -up across the board

even the bobcats: D.J. Augustin, Biyombo & maggete could beat several teams

I just think each teams best 3 players from the lottery teams are all pretty even and it would be fun to watch. Just look at the lottery teams and you'll struggle to assemble 3 players from any of the teams that would look like they would just dominate another teams top 3 players. Even the ones that will barely miss the playoffs. Look at the bucks ( jennings/ellis/?) those 2 are good but who's their 3rd? Pretty big drop after the first 2.

This is just for fun .... What 3 do you think would win the tournament?

PleaseBeNice
04-18-2012, 03:57 AM
Love/Rubio/Beasley? vs Reke/DMC/Thornton would be cool

Blazers#1Fan
04-18-2012, 04:01 AM
Makes no sense because worst team most of the time means worst roster wizards would have a good chance with NENE-Wall-Blatche blazers also Aldridge-Batum-Hickson,felton or matthews bobcats suck so the should get it

faridk89
04-18-2012, 04:01 AM
would be fun to watch, but unfortunately it would never happen

bholly
04-18-2012, 04:04 AM
Because the best non-lottery teams would tend to get the best players. The whole point of the lottery system is to get the worst teams the best players, so they can get not bad again. If you did this, Charlotte would finish right near the bottom of the tournament (who are Augustin, Biyombo, Maggette beating?), pick ~#14, and then the same next year and the year after ad infinitum. That's why.

Also because I think the NBA would oppose 3-on-3 - they'd talk about the integrity of the game and how the NBA is real, serious, 5 on 5 (12 on 12?) basketball and all that.

It'd sure be fun, though.
This year I'd like Philly (if we miss the playoffs), NJN (just because of D Will), PHO (if they miss, and also just because of Nash), Utah, maybe Portland. Without injuries it'd be Minny, with GSW and (if they go their **** together) Sac also being fun - and a healthy NOH could be good too. A couple of players could get hot - Wall, Kyrie, etc and carry their teams too.

Man, that's almost everyone - this really would be fun. I'd rather it not be for lottery picks, but it'd be fun.

ddent12
04-18-2012, 04:08 AM
Makes no sense because worst team most of the time means worst roster wizards would have a good chance with NENE-Wall-Blatche blazers also Aldridge-Batum-Hickson,felton or matthews bobcats suck so the should get it

Not exactly ..... The worst teams could be bad coaching, injuries, a lot of young players .... not truely due to lack of talent all the time.

bholly
04-18-2012, 04:11 AM
Not exactly ..... The worst teams could be bad coaching, injuries, a lot of young players .... not truely due to lack of talent all the time.

Not all the time, but in general the worse teams tend to have worse talent, even if that isn't an absolute rule.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-18-2012, 04:18 AM
This would solve everything.......All the lottery Teams should enter a 3 on 3 Tournament that will determine the draft order from winner down to the last team. Nowadays each team has at least 3 good players to enter. And there is an insentive to winning of course.

As i start to think about which 3 players teams would pick .... its really an even match -up across the board

even the bobcats: D.J. Augustin, Biyombo & maggete could beat several teams

I just think each teams best 3 players from the lottery teams are all pretty even and it would be fun to watch. Just look at the lottery teams and you'll struggle to assemble 3 players from any of the teams that would look like they would just dominate another teams top 3 players. Even the ones that will barely miss the playoffs. Look at the bucks ( jennings/ellis/?) those 2 are good but who's their 3rd? Pretty big drop after the first 2.

This is just for fun .... What 3 do you think would win the tournament?

Ersan:mad::mad:

ddent12
04-18-2012, 04:20 AM
Because the best non-lottery teams would tend to get the best players. The whole point of the lottery system is to get the worst teams the best players, so they can get not bad again. If you did this, Charlotte would finish right near the bottom of the tournament (who are Augustin, Biyombo, Maggette beating?), pick ~#14, and then the same next year and the year after ad infinitum. That's why.

Also because I think the NBA would oppose 3-on-3 - they'd talk about the integrity of the game and how the NBA is real, serious, 5 on 5 (12 on 12?) basketball and all that.

It'd sure be fun, though.
This year I'd like Philly (if we miss the playoffs), NJN (just because of D Will), PHO (if they miss, and also just because of Nash), Utah, maybe Portland. Without injuries it'd be Minny, with GSW and (if they go their **** together) Sac also being fun - and a healthy NOH could be good too. A couple of players could get hot - Wall, Kyrie, etc and carry their teams too.

Man, that's almost everyone - this really would be fun. I'd rather it not be for lottery picks, but it'd be fun.

Even if a team doesn't come in first they are going to play hard to move up as much as possible, as well as, picking up a free agent during the year or trade could change the 3 they enter the following year.

And how often does the worst team get the top pick. I can count on one hand how many times that happened in the history of the NBA. (See spurs Duncan - celtics are still pissed)

bholly
04-18-2012, 04:45 AM
Cavs and Magic won when they were the worst in '03 and '04. Twice in the last nine years is as close as you can get to the 1/4 that they're supposed to win.

And of course they'd play hard - but again, better teams are going to have an even easier time signing or trading for good players.

I don't think you can seriously argue that this wouldn't benefit the less-bad teams at the expense of the worst teams, and by doing that it goes against the point of the lottery system.
All you're really arguing is that it doesn't benefit the better teams that much, and that's not enough - it needs to clearly benefit the worse teams.

And what's to stop them from still resting their best players towards the end of the regular season anyway? If anything they're more likely to rest guys - in your plan they know for certain that the best thing is to have them fresh, while in the current system they're resting guys just for a chance of benefiting from it in the lottery.
ie, they rest guys now to move up a sport or two or get a few percentage points extra chance at the top 3 - you don't think they'd rest guys if they had a tournament coming up where they're playing off for anywhere from 1 to 14?

Deemerc
04-18-2012, 07:19 AM
The best way to do the lottery, is not to have one. It's a joke. Every other league has the worst teams getting the first picks. That's the way it should be.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-18-2012, 07:36 AM
The best way to do the lottery, is not to have one. It's a joke. Every other league has the worst teams getting the first picks. That's the way it should be.

no, that would be stupid