PDA

View Full Version : To outsiders: Do teams get up for playing Knicks most?

NYSpirit1
04-17-2012, 11:08 PM
I wanted other fans opinions on this, because it's gotten really ridiculous especially this years.

Historically, players have always wanted to play excellent in New York and in MSG. Go back to Jordan's performances, for example.

Go back to LeBron and Kobe's performances during the Knicks ten years of doom until 2010. Kobe's 61 and LeBron's 51 point triple double.

Depending on how old people are on this forum, you cannot use the Knicks D has sucked excuse, because like I said Jordan, Magic, Bird were all torching the Knicks when they had phenomenal D way before the Knicks most recent era.

Now to this year. You have Brandon Jennings come out and torch the Knicks every time, you have Gallinari torch the Knicks and the Celtics & Pierce are a whole other story. And while this is happening you can just see the fire in the opposing teams eyes.

Injuries are the second part of this. Rose is out 12 games, but wants to come back to play the Knicks, then sits the game after. Wade is out, comes back for Knicks game, then sits vs. Nets.

Pierce and Garnett sat the other night, then came back vs. the Knicks.

It's almost like every team takes it to another level vs. the Knicks, they always want their best players out there, injured or not and the games just genuinely seem to be more important.

As a fan, it's incredibly annoying, but honorable that MSG and New York means that much to the league.

Do other fans find this to be true? I watch some of the players who torch the Knicks and come out with a vengeance or something in normal games and they don't nearly have the same fire.

I can't think of any other team that gets this much of the spotlight in terms of really coming to play, the Heat can only compare but a lot of teams seem scared of them.

stawka
04-17-2012, 11:12 PM
It's the stadium and the atmousphere... Not the team itself lol

LGhost
04-17-2012, 11:13 PM
I didn't notice the Celtics hitting any well contested shots tonight... Knicks should have just tightened up the defense... I did notice Bass wanting to take Melo one on one in the post though after Melo pulled that crybaby crap...

Avenged
04-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Maybe it's just the lack of D the Knicks have had throughout the years.

bholly
04-17-2012, 11:17 PM
It's not the Knicks, it's MSG. Nobody cares about playing the Knicks at home. On the road, at MSG, I think it adds something, but I think even then it probably comes in second to playing at Staples vs the Lakers.

justinnum1
04-17-2012, 11:19 PM
i dont think so.

allSUAVE
04-17-2012, 11:21 PM
Msg

xxplayerxx23
04-17-2012, 11:23 PM
When the lin thing was going on for sure, But I think its MSG being there in a close game after a big shot gives me the goosebumps

AceMan
04-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Maybe it's just the lack of D the Knicks have had throughout the years.

Before the Isiah era the Knicks were generally always among the league's better defensive teams. During the Riley years they were known for being incredibly tough and physical, but throughout the 70's, then the Ewing era the Knicks were always good on defense.

LongIslandIcedZ
04-17-2012, 11:24 PM
I know it may come across as homerish, but I cannot be convinced that Paul Pierce doesnt get up to play against the Knicks. Honestly, Lebron is the same way. I dont think it is necessarily the Knicks team right now, its just the atmosphere and ambiance that goes with playing at "Mecca of Basketball"

xk4
04-17-2012, 11:26 PM
I'll agree that MSG is probably one of the harder come courts to have. Fans there do not **** around.

Outside of that stadium, I'd say Boston and LA and have the toughest competition night in and night out. They were both good for so long, LA more recently, that's it's pretty much accepted as huge victory if you beat them.

Even in the coming years when the Celtics will likely be terrible, teams will still be up to play them like it was the Heat or Bulls.

knicks4life33
04-17-2012, 11:31 PM
considering ever player says there favorite arena play is msg and bring a little extra ide say yes

avrpatsfan
04-17-2012, 11:33 PM
To answer the OP's question, absolutely.

gotoHcarolina52
04-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Every superstar loves playing at MSG. But in terms of teams most players "get up for," I'd say the HEAT are at the top of that list this year. In previous seasons it's been the Lakers, Celtics, etc.

Da Knicks
04-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Msg

meloman1592
04-17-2012, 11:41 PM
I'd say teams get up to play Miami the most. But as far as Arenas, yea MSG brings the best out of opponents.

justinnum1
04-17-2012, 11:50 PM
everyone gets up to play miami, but i do think teams play harder at msg, at the same time if knicks are on the road i dont think it matters

Kevj77
04-17-2012, 11:57 PM
The Knicks no. MSG yes.

topdog
04-18-2012, 12:22 AM
MSG is the "Mecca of Basketball" so some guys probably do get up for it. You forgot K-Love's 30-30 by the way.

I don't think everyone is gung-ho though and certainly not about the team itself.

Master Mind
04-18-2012, 12:45 AM
Playing in MSG, yeah. But every team really get up to play the Heat

Kashmir13579
04-18-2012, 12:48 AM
I think its MSG.

The Final Boss
04-18-2012, 12:48 AM
When the lin thing was going on for sure, But I think its MSG being there in a close game after a big shot gives me the goosebumps

Try honing your craft at The Forum or Staples Center. I honestly think it's a figment of Knicks fan's imagination. The Lakers are the only squad who have a target on their back night in and night out whether their home or on the road.

The Doctor
04-18-2012, 12:59 AM
As a Laker fan....Well more so than then the Suns, Hawks or Jazz, however not as much as the Clippers, Celtics or Thunder imo.

Sinestro
04-18-2012, 12:59 AM
Nah everyone wants to beat the Heat the most

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-18-2012, 01:28 AM
It has nothing to do with the team or its players (hate to burst your bubble), but rather the aura of Madison Square Garden.

PacersForLife
04-18-2012, 01:40 AM
I think teams would get up to play the Bobcats if it was at MSG. Also I think that teams got up to play the Heat more last year than this year.

NYtilIdie
04-18-2012, 01:44 AM
Every superstar loves playing at MSG. But in terms of teams most players "get up for," I'd say the HEAT are at the top of that list this year. In previous seasons it's been the Lakers, Celtics, etc.

This. The Heat play playoff basketball when they played the Knicks this season, it honestly pisses me off since they halfass it against every other team.

When they first faced Linsanity I don't ever remember them playing such intense defense like they did that night, I was honestly amazed.

NYtilIdie
04-18-2012, 01:46 AM
It has nothing to do with the team or its players (hate to burst your bubble), but rather the aura of Madison Square Garden.

Nope, call BS. The Heat played their best defense against the Knicks when they faced Linsanity for the first time in South Beach a few months ago.

abe_froman
04-18-2012, 01:51 AM
ever hear of the heat

...but yeah this is thread for ny fans to talk themselves to each other so

KaganRS
04-18-2012, 01:58 AM
"The Mecca of Basketball " my *** .... the knicks have done **** all in the NBA. It's the media market there that seems to influence the perception that their team is one of the more important teams - when in reality without the backing of that city they would just be another basement dweller.

naps
04-18-2012, 03:44 AM
Are you serious? It's all about the MSG and NY media. You know if you have a big game in the Garden it's gonna be a big news and gonna keep circulating for years regardless of their defense or how less important the game is. It's the "Big Apple" effect.

thephoenixson28
04-18-2012, 04:07 AM
People like the spotlight, and what better spot then MSG.

jbeezy
04-18-2012, 04:17 AM
MSG is the Mecca of basketball. Anyone who is passionate about basketball wants to play their very best there.

sharqstealth
04-18-2012, 04:37 AM
Well its true there is extra motivation for some players whenever they come to msg, but does anyone notice we also get torched by the refs? They all seem to hate the Knicks...

setman2000
04-18-2012, 05:24 AM
You'll see 1st hand how "teams" get up for the Knicks when they get swept out of the playoffs again!

smood999
04-18-2012, 05:26 AM
its MSG and the ny media...but something else to think about that no one has mentioned when pertaining to the knicks on the road...how many times have the knicks gone to the opposing teams arena and the crowd is split or pro knicks or atleast seems to be pro knicks when the knicks r doing well? not many teams get that on the road...i think that adds for a little extra motivation...but yeah other than that im with u guys..everybody wants to beat the heat..

Becks2307
04-18-2012, 08:26 AM
its MSG and the ny media...but something else to think about that no one has mentioned when pertaining to the knicks on the road...how many times have the knicks gone to the opposing teams arena and the crowd is split or pro knicks or atleast seems to be pro knicks when the knicks r doing well? not many teams get that on the road...i think that adds for a little extra motivation...but yeah other than that im with u guys..everybody wants to beat the heat..

this.

Atlanta Games are home games for us

D1JM
04-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Injuries are the second part of this. Rose is out 12 games, but wants to come back to play the Knicks, then sits the game after. Wade is out, comes back for Knicks game, then sits vs. Nets.

Rose sat out the next game because he sprained his ankle :laugh2: dont over glorify the Knicks

uprightciti
04-18-2012, 09:11 AM
dude the energy is so hot at msg

that crowd can change a game for sure

driz
04-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Players get up to throw down at MSG. Not against the Knicks. Plus I'm guessing Howard Stern sitting courtside is a great motivator. BABABOOEY!

Quietmoney
04-18-2012, 09:29 AM
"The Mecca of Basketball " my *** .... the knicks have done **** all in the NBA. It's the media market there that seems to influence the perception that their team is one of the more important teams - when in reality without the backing of that city they would just be another basement dweller.

You troll! Your team sucks! Even when they were good, you still sucked. Detroit is the worst city to play for. No one wants to be there and never will. How dare you disrespect my team. And didn't they sweep you guys this year? :facepalm:

Quietmoney
04-18-2012, 09:31 AM

This! They say it's just the garden to discredit our team. But we get cheers in many other arenas on the road. We have almost as many fans in Miami as the heat do.

nycsports2
04-18-2012, 09:33 AM
msg but the away games are more live when melo & co are in town for sure

nycsports2
04-18-2012, 09:35 AM
This! They say it's just the garden to discredit our team. But we get cheers in many other arenas on the road. We have almost as many fans in Miami as the heat do.

i can vouch for this!!... and any other ny fl sporting event lol

MCSJR2
04-18-2012, 09:44 AM
ya kno I was thinking the same thing....take the way Miami came out and played last Sunday...you would've thought it was the final game 7 the way they played..but if you look at how they played Chicago before..they looked slow and lethargic...you would think Miami would want to play harder against Chicago to at least try and get the #1 seed (I mean home court advantage through the playoffs is meaningful) but noooo they come out like its game 7 trying to punish my Knicks...I don't get it

king4day
04-18-2012, 09:53 AM
I think the Suns might have been up for the Knicks last year with Amar'e and D'Antoni there. Doubt they care anymore since neither team is the same.

Teams will get up for the Knicks when/if they start ringing off championships. If they don't, then fans won't hate them or respect them. Nature of the beast.

celtNYpatsHeels
04-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Over the past 10 years, players light up the Knicks because they play no defense. Its the same reason players light up the Warriors.

On a side note, the Knicks should sit out Lin for the season and bring Amare off the bench when he returns. This team is so much better when everything runs through Melo.

ManningToTyree
04-18-2012, 10:21 AM
People get amped to play in MSG. The atmosphere is unreal

Pierzynski4Prez
04-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Jordan, Lebron, Kobe etc. have all put up big points at other stadiums as well. It's not like this has only ever happened at MSG.

As for the team, other teams get up for playing the Heat the most I would say as of recent. Years past most likely the lakers. Knicks are a .500 team and haven't been anything more than that since about 1999. Doesn't really get other players amped up the way it would playing teams like the Heat, Spurs, Lakers, Celtics, Mavs, etc.

Audubon
04-18-2012, 10:57 AM
lol. I notice Bulls get more pumped playing the Heat and especially the Celtics. I just don't see the same level of intensity from them when they play the Knicks...not yet at least.

MrfadeawayJB
04-18-2012, 11:00 AM
The arena has alot to do with it. For teams in general i still think its the Lakers, Celtics, and Heat that get opponents best shot

CostanzaNumba0
04-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Its the Mecca, Willis Reed- Ali Frasier etc, the Garden is legendary, opposing players know that if they light it up 30 million people in the tristate area are going to read about it the next day, no city even comes close to NY, the Knicks are getting relevant again which is the best thing possible for basketball

celtNYpatsHeels
04-18-2012, 11:29 AM
I think another factor is that there are a TON of NBA players that are from NY or born in NY. They want to play their best when returning "home". New York is birthplace of 295 NBA/former NBA players, second to only California (329).

KaganRS
04-19-2012, 07:02 PM

You troll! Your team sucks! Even when they were good, you still sucked. Detroit is the worst city to play for. No one wants to be there and never will. How dare you disrespect my team. And didn't they sweep you guys this year? :facepalm:

The Pistons were within 1 quarter of Back to Back championships had they not blown the 4th quarter against the Spurs in 2005. The Pistons don't play in Detroit they play in Auburn Hills and rural Michigan is awesome.

I will admit that it is hard to draw players vs. the lure of big cities such as New York - I guess what I'm trying to say is that without the backing of the New York Media giant and the vast population in the New York Metropolitan area the Knicks would be irrelevant in the NBA given their "recent" resume. And really , I do mean recent - I know about the early 70's Knick squads.

Meanwhile though , enjoy your 7th seed and your selfish prick players like Carmelo Anthony - did you see him tell Novak to calm down the other night out of jealousy ? Who does that ?! Especially since he celebrates hard himself.

ohreally
04-19-2012, 08:23 PM
lol. I notice Bulls get more pumped playing the Heat and especially the Celtics. I just don't see the same level of intensity from them when they play the Knicks...not yet at least.

Have to agree. Outside of point guards in a few games after Lin's emergence, I really haven't noticed this at all this year, as a matter of fact I've thought other teams were more prone to coast through most of the game. When the Knicks are proven to be good though it's another story.

Traditionally, Knicks have always had less of a home court advantage because the refs were "playing" in front of their bosses, but for a team that is constantly swiping at the ball and Melo throwing his arm out high so often, I have been surprised that the Knicks have not had way more fouls called on them this year, both a home and on the road.

2-ONE-5
04-19-2012, 09:18 PM
it has everything to do with the Garden and NOTHING to do with the Knicks. Why would teams get up more to play a team that has been the 7-10 all season long?

Verbal Christ
04-19-2012, 09:26 PM
i get up more to hate knick fan more than i get up more to hate the knicks.

comprende?