PDA

View Full Version : If Dallas misses the playoffs, are they the biggest disappointment in NBA history?

spreadeagle
04-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Only 2 other NBA championship teams have missed the playoffs after winning it all the year before. The Celtics way back but they were misiing Bill Russell the Next year, and the Bulls and they were missing MJ the following year. I really didnt think Dallas would be good this year though, too many vets who were content with finally winning a ring. The Odom mess hurt them too I think. If they dont make it is this a legendary fail?

justinnum1
04-17-2012, 10:58 PM
up there, dirk and kid were way out of shape entering the season,

xk4
04-17-2012, 11:05 PM
It was a calculated decision by Cuban to keep his options open in 2013. Considering the roster this year, Mavs performed about as well as they should have.

It's not a disappointment, or a failure, just a good example of what happens when a GM chooses to suck

ManRam
04-17-2012, 11:06 PM
All time? I don't know.

The most disappointing in a long time? Probably. I can't think of anything like this.

That said, they'll make it.

5ass
04-17-2012, 11:08 PM
It was a calculated decision by Cuban to keep his options open in 2013. Considering the roster this year, Mavs performed about as well as they should have.

It's not a disappointment, or a failure, just a good example of what happens when a GM chooses to suck

good answer.

Young2Kinsler
04-17-2012, 11:10 PM
IT was the right move from the front office. We went from the highest payer in luxury tax to having a ton of cap room and not alot of money on the books in the future.

I wish we would miss the playoffs, the lottery pick would be a nice add to the team for youth.

Avenged
04-17-2012, 11:13 PM
The Mavs still have talent to make the playoffs, and possibly make a deep postseason run. So yes it would be a major disappointment and a shock if they miss the playoffs, not sure about NBA history though.

JasonJohnHorn
04-17-2012, 11:23 PM
They won't miss the playoffs, and no, nobody expected them to repeat after they let Chandler go. Cuban wants to clear capspace to sign free agents, and he obviously thought that bringing in talent with that capspace would make them more competative in the long run. He gave up defending the title in the hopes of bringing in some younger all-star talent via free-agency.

I personally would have tried to keep Chandler, but hey, I'm not a GM either. so there you go.

Giraffes Rule
04-17-2012, 11:27 PM
I don't think they would even be the most disappointing Mavs team to be honest.

ManRam
04-17-2012, 11:27 PM
It was definitely the right move...

But the expectations were still high. Most didn't think they'd repeat, and the Dallas players took great offense to that which does make this slightly more of a disappointment than it would otherwise, but still...they're the defending champions. How many defending champions missed the playoffs the next year? Doubt it's many...if any...

Bruno
04-17-2012, 11:31 PM
the 2007 heat ring a bell. 43-37 after winning the championship, got swept in the first round by the pre-Rose Bulls (a Bulls team who missed the playoffs the following season).

Avenged
04-17-2012, 11:32 PM
I don't think they would even be the most disappointing Mavs team to be honest.

The lost to the Warriors in the playoffs is more disappointing to me. They were killing it in the reg season, they should have gone all the way.

knicks4life33
04-17-2012, 11:34 PM
no cause its a lockout season

dee279
04-17-2012, 11:48 PM
The lost to the Warriors in the playoffs is more disappointing to me. They were killing it in the reg season, they should have gone all the way.

Exactly wut i was thinking.

Cool007
04-17-2012, 11:48 PM
IMO, they will be the 7th seed.

Sssmush
04-18-2012, 12:59 AM
well, last year's playoff officiating might now be seen as the biggest disappointment in history. But yeah... Dallas minus Chandler and Barea and plus Odom...? Not really a surprise.
Vince Carter?

BlondeBomber41
04-18-2012, 02:07 AM
They are gonna make it, and they are either gonna beat or give the team they play in the first round a 6 or 7 game series that is very hard fought. They've had alot of really really close, kinda fluky losses this year to where their record could be the same as the LA's (Lakers/Clippers) record.

I will cheer for them hard of course, but that being said... every Mavs fan knows that in alot of ways this season is just a transition to next where we shed all that cap and bring Deron Williams home.

BlinkManJan02
04-18-2012, 03:10 AM
That would be just insane if they missed. I'm surprised they are this low of a seed.

Antwerp_nr1
04-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Disappointment yes. biggest ever? No

Sinestro
04-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Nah there's been worse before, Mavs in 07 come to mind

king4day
04-18-2012, 10:49 AM
I'd say no. While they lost key guys, Odom should have thrived on this team and he himself failed hard. The Mavs had a plan. If they really wanted to go balls out, they coulda kept their FA's.

I do think they will regret not resigning Chandler. Howard probably will still end up in Brooklyn.

celtNYpatsHeels
04-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Well Kidd has aged a ton over the past year. I dont think he is a starting calibur player anymore. They also lost Chandler and Stevenson... two starters from last year and players that were key to their playoff defense

kdspurman
04-18-2012, 11:01 AM
I'd say no. While they lost key guys, Odom should have thrived on this team and he himself failed hard. The Mavs had a plan. If they really wanted to go balls out, they coulda kept their FA's.

I do think they will regret not resigning Chandler. Howard probably will still end up in Brooklyn.

:nod: I agree, along with Deron Williams. Then what do they do?

ElChinoLatino
04-18-2012, 11:37 AM

Absolutely not the biggest, it's not even in the top 10 biggest. Cuban and Donnie knew this team was gonna suck due to their transition to 2013 FA aka Deron.

I still can't think why would he go to Brooklyn to join............. yea.

sep11ie
04-18-2012, 11:49 AM
They better get in the playoffs. I want that draft pick...